Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller

• Thread starter saggzz
  • 242 comments
Controllers are nicely optimized for this game, so it's more about skill. I'm not a pro, but I would get gold everywhere and possibly beat some of Lewises lap times. Top split controller users will do even better.

If you are a casual/average player then it doesn't matter if you use a wheel or controller, you can't except to get gold times right away. Put some effort and time to it and you will get better.

Last edited:
I'm rank 47.
I'm not horrible, but silver is best I can get on most tracks.
Diamond ain't gonna happen you cant shave that much time off.
Rank is by no means an indication of skill. You need to be in the top 1-2%, A+/S SR driver, to have a good shot at the times. Otherwise you have to spend some hours on each tracks til you know it inside out. Like any other game, spend time with it, you'll get better.

Yes, being on a controller does mean you're at a disadvantage but that's not to say the times are impossible to beat. I've had vast experience with a controller, as it's all I've ever known since I started playing GT4 12 years ago. I have beaten wheel users multiple times; not just in Gran Turismo but Project Cars. You can be fast with a controller given that you have a decent amount of skill. If you do enough practice, you can be very fast on a controller. Especially with Gran Turismo, a game that works really well with it.

Rank is by no means an indication of skill. You need to be in the top 1-2%, A+/S SR driver, to have a good shot at the times. Otherwise you have to spend some hours on each tracks til you know it inside out. Like any other game, spend time with it, you'll get better.
Like most people are not top 1 or 2 %
That's my point. The ones that are use wheels.

Getting on the power cleanly enough to match Lewis's exits seems to be one of the biggest problems for me - spin up a wheel and you're like 0.2 down straight away... In that respect I know from prior experience pedals would make it easier, but still, the rest of my lap needs to be smoother and tidier just to get close to the gold times.

Eh, I'll tell you what's impossible with the controller: trying to partially accelerate through tight turns and others with the X button. X_x;

Unfortunately, due to me being disabled, accelerating and braking with the face buttons is the only way I can race on racing games, as I can't handle the triggers very well. That said, however, depending on the Daily Races and matchups, I did win a few races and secure a lot of podium finishes on GTS, so... yeah. lol

Hey all. I haven't purchased the DLC yet but i'd like to contribute a few points.

Firstly, Lewis is a 6 time Formula One World Champion. His speed will take some matching anyways.

Secondly, Lewis set his times on a TGT wheel, and not a controller.

Thirdly, having been a controller user on GTS for most of it's lifespan, I now have a G29 wheel. What I have noticed is that with the DS4 I kind of hit a brick wall of sorts. I could qualify between 1.5% to 2.5% from the top time in the EU. But I hit a brick wall.

With a little practice on the wheel in between working full time, i've started to find more speed in the corners, much much more than I ever found on the pad.

My times are now better than the DS4. And I can physically see and feel where to make more gains.

This is not because i've become a much greater player overnight. It's wholly due to being able to drive smoother, more precise lines, getting the wheels straightened quicker and the gains in laptime that come with those perks.

Yes the DS4 is competitive on GTS. Yes there are top players that use it. But there are more top players on wheels than pad. I think this is a safe assumption.

So with all this being said, there's no way that i'd try and beat Hamiltons times on the pad. I just don't think it's a fair comparison.

Unless he was to use one for the times.

Cheers.

I bet they are nice...
Wish it said I needed those to diamond all this new DLC I just bought...
Come on man..
The average person that may get into this game ain't buying that kind of stuff.

With some practice you can probably get gold. I've played gran Turismo since the original and I have a good wheel and pedal setup but I am going to need to spend a lot of time on some tracks to get near Lewis. I'm pleased that it's actually going to be something hard to do on this game in single player.

Look I am not blaming anyone for me purchasing this.
I am simply stating a fact to those who were excited to hear about the prizes, and came back to the game to try and achieve them.
I think people should know that if you dont live and breathe GT Sport, and only have the controller that most other games use.
You are gonna be disappointed.
You can grind all day but you ain't getting Diamond...be hard to get all silver if you ain't top 1% or 2%.
So that says 98% of us ain't getting ****. Just think before you buy it.
I should have.

I am simply stating a fact to those who were excited to hear about the prizes, and came back to the game to try and achieve them.
I think people should know that if you dont live and breathe GT Sport, and only have the controller that most other games use.
You can grind all day but you ain't getting Diamond...be hard to get all silver if you ain't top 1% or 2%.
I should have.
Your title says 'almost impossible'

I should have.
It's more about having fun and maybe learning some new things from it, that could help you improve your driving skills. That's why there are bronze, silver and gold times, for all kinds of players. It would be too easy and a bit pointless, if those times were too easy to get.

If you really want to get golds, maybe even diamonds, then you have to work for it. It's not for free. It won't happen over 1 day. Just practice. Watch clearly what Lewis is doing in his lap time replays. Watch where he brakes, where he gets on power, what gears he uses and what lines he uses.

I also don't think that 98% and less are not able to get golds, or diamonds. There are 100s of people that will get diamonds and 1000s, maybe more that will get golds. And controller vs wheel mainly depends on which one you are used to. If you were given a wheel now, you would struggle with it, I bet. There are controller users that are one of the best in the game.

The understeer is what is making it difficult for controllers. While GT has probably the best controller code of any racing game, understeer is it's weak point, due to how it keeps the user from applying too much input, and helping them be smoother. The side effect of this shows up during understeer. I believe this to be the case, as I used a wheel for a while in GT5, where the same "issue" was present. Almost immediately, I was faster in front drive cars, that are notoriously understeering. You just don't have as much steering input with a controller, than a wheel.

I'm getting silvers pretty easy, but going to really have to tighten up to get gold.

I'd be willing to bet, if PD loosened the car up a bit, the times would come on down a lot easier. I can deal with oversteer way better than understeer.

Just my two cents, and could be complete crap. Either way, I've got something in this game to keep me busy, that's for sure.

MMX
The understeer is what is making it difficult for controllers. While GT has probably the best controller code of any racing game, understeer is it's weak point, due to how it keeps the user from applying too much input, and helping them be smoother. The side effect of this shows up during understeer. I believe this to be the case, as I used a wheel for a while in GT5, where the same "issue" was present. Almost immediately, I was faster in front drive cars, that are notoriously understeering. You just don't have as much steering input with a controller, than a wheel.

I'm getting silvers pretty easy, but going to really have to tighten up to get gold.

I'd be willing to bet, if PD loosened the car up a bit, the times would come on down a lot easier. I can deal with oversteer way better than understeer.

Just my two cents, and could be complete crap. Either way, I've got something in this game to keep me busy, that's for sure.
Agree silver isnt easy..
I can grind it out for that but the cap extends at gold.
I find it pretty self explanatory when everyone suggesting I'm not trying hard enough or just keep at it.
Obviously use wheels.
I agree it shouldn't be easy, but we all paid the same money.
It should all be equal.

I'm rank 47.
I'm not horrible, but silver is best I can get on most tracks.
Diamond ain't gonna happen you cant shave that much time off.

Thats because hamilton is a skilled F1 world champion, and you... sitting in your room with a gamepad in your hands :D

The diamond times are at the moment obtainable only by the top 0.1% players in the game, even Lightning himself was not able to one shot diamond every trial, it’s not just a matter of devices.

Agree silver isnt easy..
I can grind it out for that but the cap extends at gold.
I find it pretty self explanatory when everyone suggesting I'm not trying hard enough or just keep at it.
Obviously use wheels.
I agree it shouldn't be easy, but we all paid the same money.
It should all be equal.

It’s worth pointing out that it was released yesterday and that expecting to beat it within 24 hours is perhaps a bit too optimistic. Just keep practicing and I’m sure you will beat it.

Back