Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller

• Thread starter saggzz
  • 242 comments
Having a wheel doesn't automatically mean you're super fast.

Exactly. I have a wheel and I'm far from super fast.

If it was free then I'd probably give it a go. But I'm not paying real money for something that'll only make me turn into the Hulk and smash my wheel, PS4 and possibly every piece of furniture in the room out of pure rage and frustration. :lol: I really don't enjoy grinding in games. And this looks like one hell of a grind. No thanks.

EDIT:

Is there anyone kind enough to post the lap times required to diamond this challenge? I'd like to know if it's even worth trying.

Last edited:
This is like first-person shooter with KB and Mouse vs controller discussion. When someone does not reach certain level of skill, everything does not seem make sense.

tl;dr: in fps, it is possible to win using controller against kbm. in racing, it is possible to win using controller against steering wheel.

It's not work and it's not compulsory, so for me it's just pure fun and worth more than the few bucks I had to spend which I would have spent in one night at our golf club anyway. Had time for 5 laps on Monza last night [before wife called] with the DS4 and got Gold. Will have some fun this weekend on the G29.

IMO controller sucks for playing this game. And I'm not saying the controller its badly optimized. Its just the way the game is, it cannot be properly played with anything other than a wheel I think. I'm a wheel user and I tried using controller several times... Horrible.

GT6 was quite a lot better for controller IMO and even then wheel was already better. In GT Sport, due to the way physics work, it's crucial to work on very smooth lines and very precise brake/throttle imputs, and that, my friends, can only be done properly with a wheel. Unless you have super-human skills with a controller I dont think you will get very far... GT in it's origins used to be a game made for controller first and foremost, but it's becoming more and more sim-like and more "wheel-dependant" as time goes by. If you really like the game in hardcore level, Just get a wheel ASAP.

Also, I dont know about Lewis laptimes, but getting gold in the standard game tests is very easy... At least on wheel. Pretty much all of them are easy. Old GTs were much harder in this regard.

Last edited:
Im a DS4 player and it is difficult, but i truly believe it's possible to diamond it all. Danny Solis is famously a DS4 user and has freely admitted his struggle in transitioning to using a wheel at the GT Sport World finals. Look how good he is! So i know it's possible, just not for me - i totally lack the skills!

If you haven't already put your controller sensitivity up to 7. I don't have the DLC yet but have raced GT3 on a controller against people who are diamonding these. They should be doable with practice.

Agree silver isnt easy..
I can grind it out for that but the cap extends at gold.
I find it pretty self explanatory when everyone suggesting I'm not trying hard enough or just keep at it.
Obviously use wheels.
I agree it shouldn't be easy, but we all paid the same money.
It should all be equal.
I'm sorry to sound harsh, but you can't expect everything to be equal. Wheels exist, and it's fine that they are a bit better, because that's how they are designed. Gamepads can't reach to these standards, because they are designed for all type of games. I'm a pad-user myself, and maybe I will buy this DLC, but I'm no way near that good to reach diamond, and that's totally fine, because I have fun playing this game anyway. I would never assume to beat a 6-time formula 1 champion just because I paid a few bucks. Life isn't equal. Think of the people who can't even reach silver. Should everything be rewarded just for buying something without any skill involved? That would be boring!

To me this is not ( or shouldn't be ) about that wheel vs. controller thing. There's enough controller users who will diamond the challenges.
It takes operating skill whatever the input device is, but being fast possibly takes other things as well such as dedication, work and some talent and feel for true speed ( Hamilton has for sure ).
I think we are talking about the eye opening effect these events obviously have - the first real challenge in a long time.
One of the special rewards and incentives behind this DLC package is the chance to realize where we are and - best case scenario - learn and improve.
A perfect Xmas present :) !

Last edited:
Eh, I'll tell you what's impossible with the controller: trying to partially accelerate through tight turns and others with the X button. X_x;

Unfortunately, due to me being disabled, accelerating and braking with the face buttons is the only way I can race on racing games, as I can't handle the triggers very well. That said, however, depending on the Daily Races and matchups, I did win a few races and secure a lot of podium finishes on GTS, so... yeah. lol
Oh wow i never expected to find someone which has the same "problems" as me small world eh ? :lol:

To me this is not ( or shouldn't be ) about that wheel vs. controller thing.

I typically agree, a wheel isn't a cure-all for being slow, but looking at Lewis's laps there's a degree of smoothness that's a lot harder to replicate with the much narrower range of the DS4 controls, especially in the area of power delivery.

The biggest problem to getting all diamonds is that the difficulty changes up and down significantly, more than on the wheel. It took me maybe 1 hour to beat Dragon Trail and Lago Maggiore and they were not too difficult, but it took me 1 hour and a half to beat Brands Hatch. The next circuit, Willow Springs, will be be even more difficult since even top 10 is only 2 tenths faster
I'm a pad user, and on the pad you just don't have that degree of smoothness, and I have to take away some attention from the braking and the throttle to keep the car on the line. There's a reason almost every alien is on a wheel, and it's not just about pace consistency, but consistency on every corner. On the wheel you can be a lot more smoother and take more risks with the line, braking and throttle. GT Sport is the best sim/simcade for pad users, but the wheel will almost always be just a tiny bit better.
At circuits like Brands Hatch or Suzuka or Willow these problems are amplified even more, because there's 0 room for error.

TL;DR if you aren't willing to spend months, years learning all the secrets to racecraft, and spend some more time trying to get the laps absolutely perfect, don't think about buying this DLC.

TL;DR if you aren't willing to spend months, years learning all the secrets to racecraft, and spend some more time trying to get the laps absolutely perfect, don't think about buying this DLC.

Uhh? Why not buy the DLC and see how far you can take it, Bronze seems doable by everyone that still plays the game, and silver is also possible.. GOLD will be hard, but no impossible.

As for the Diamond times.. hahahaha not happening for me

Sounds to me like OP can't accept that they just aren't good enough to hit diamond times and is trying to justify this by saying "I would be able to get those times if I had a wheel".

I call shenanigans. I've got some golds and am CLOSE to my first diamond time (about .3 of a sec away on Interlagos) with a controller. Ultimately I think I am at my peak and won't get the diamonds without some SERIOUS practice. Doesn't help that I don't find the Merc enjoyable to drive.

That said, I might just not be good enough to hit diamond times on every track. Not because I don't have a wheel, but because I'm simply not good enough. Suck it up.

The one thing I will say, though, is that the level of difficulty required to unlock everything within the DLC wasn't made properly clear IMO (Yes, I know he's an F1 champ, but if they released DLC that was only going to be beaten by the top 1% then they should explain that). My thoughts is that they should have released one of the Time Trials to everyone as a demonstration, but then that might have hurt sales?

Sounds to me like OP can't accept that they just aren't good enough to hit diamond times and is trying to justify this by saying "I would be able to get those times if I had a wheel".

I call shenanigans. I've got some golds and am CLOSE to my first diamond time (about .3 of a sec away on Interlagos) with a controller. Ultimately I think I am at my peak and won't get the diamonds without some SERIOUS practice. Doesn't help that I don't find the Merc enjoyable to drive.

That said, I might just not be good enough to hit diamond times on every track. Not because I don't have a wheel, but because I'm simply not good enough. Suck it up.

The one thing I will say, though, is that the level of difficulty required to unlock everything within the DLC wasn't made properly clear IMO (Yes, I know he's an F1 champ, but if they released DLC that was only going to be beaten by the top 1% then they should explain that). My thoughts is that they should have released one of the Time Trials to everyone as a demonstration, but then that might have hurt sales?

The OP is saying that it will be easier to beat the times with a wheel than with a controller, that is basically a controller vs wheel discussion we have had a millions times.

The DLC is a 6 times world champion setting lap times the player can try to beat, i find it hard to advertise it differently and those that buy it thinking it will be easy are fooling themselves more than PD is trying to fool them. I am actually surprised that i get rewarded so much for not being good enough..

I typically agree, a wheel isn't a cure-all for being slow, but looking at Lewis's laps there's a degree of smoothness that's a lot harder to replicate with the much narrower range of the DS4 controls, especially in the area of power delivery.

I agree. I think I'm halfway aware of the pros and cons.

If you've once ( like me ) decided to be a controller user and it feels like you're too slow, you've basically got three options :
Say the cons are overwhelming and go on moaning, live with how it is, or trying to work on it and get quicker whatever it takes.
You'll find me somewhere between option #2 and #3 :lol: ...

I've bought this DLC, it's installed but I haven't started yet. Time will tell how this turns out :cheers: !

... willing to spend months, years learning all the secrets to racecraft ... spend some more time trying to get the laps absolutely perfect ...

So be it :crazy: - holy ... :cheers:

I'm happy enough to be sitting at mostly all silver at the minute, struggling with getting the 2 Nurburgrings though, GP and the big yin, but I'll get there.

On the controller myself. i think a wheel would improve my times, but 3/4/5 seconds worth I doubt. I've more to learn about how to drive before I close that gap.

I'm always the same though, on the daily race qualifying time trials, I'm always about 2 or 3 seconds a minute off the pace on the top tables.

Just a case of plugging away to get better over time. I'm only really 2 months into racing again, hadn't touched a console for about 6 years there till I decided to buy a ps4! :lol: Once I've achieved all silver, I'll go back and start attempting golds, though it'll take me a while to tame the beast that is that Sauber!! Need to have a very light touch on the trigger in 1st and 2nd on that!

I would say to the OP though, if you think it's holding you back that much, why not just save up and buy a wheel?

Incidentally, I think the DLC has been great value, not sure exactly how much I've won, but I've just rattled 5million or so buying a raft of cars, loving that old skool Merc! :D I had about a million or so before I bought the DLC yesterday. So decent enough value.

Last edited:
It's difficult for those of us mere mortals who use a wheel.

I messed around with the DLC for about an hour, just to get the feel of the car on the different tracks, and came away with bronze and silver. In most cases I can see where and how I can get close to gold times, but I also understand that it will take me hours in some cases (I'm looking at you, Nordschleife) to put in my optimum lap. And I know that I'll enjoy every moment of it (except for when I'm swearing very loudly, due to rage).

I started to do some challenges last night and got 5 diamonds with my good ol' pad (Lago, Dragon Trail, Mount Panorama, Nurb GP and Nordschleife). I'm going to attack Willow Springs today as it seems to be the hardest :)

If you haven't already put your controller sensitivity up to 7. I don't have the DLC yet but have raced GT3 on a controller against people who are diamonding these. They should be doable with practice.

You’ll Diamond these no problem Max, I golded half of them and got silver on the rest last night, and you’re quite a bit faster than me in Gr.3 cars. :)

I am just sad that i wont be able to collect every car anymore :(

Diamond times are impossible for me. Maybe even gold. Spend 8 Euros for nothing i guess.

A bad workman blames his tools.

I'm not going to get diamond either on my G29, but it's not the wheels fault. I know my skill level should be good enough for some (maybe all) golds so that's what I'm aiming for.

I have never used a wheel. I've been always using a controller and I tried only Dragon Trail Seaside because I love the track.
Got diamond in around 10 tries (because chicane of death:lol:).
I'm sure in every other combo I can get gold.
I don't think I'll ever diamond all challenges though, but I can confirm this is not almost impossible.

If you've once ( like me ) decided to be a controller user and it feels like you're too slow, you've basically got three options :
Say the cons are overwhelming and go on moaning, live with how it is, or trying to work on it and get quicker whatever it takes.
You'll find me somewhere between option #2 and #3 :lol: ...

My other option is to buy a wheel. I used a T500 for GT6, and coming up against a challenge like this reminds me that I pretty much stopped getting better with a pad about 15 years ago!

It's not just about speed obviously, it's more enjoyable on a wheel, but I do think it will offer me more room for development... Just really not sure about the cost of the TGT :scared:

Could not find the time to try Lewis times ; How hard is it compared to Vettel trials in GT5 (before the patch wich nerfed them), please?

You’ll Diamond these no problem Max, I golded half of them and got silver on the rest last night, and you’re quite a bit faster than me in Gr.3 cars. :)
I thought you were getting diamonds last night, I was seeing the messages pop up but could only half read them on the Mulsanne straight. I think we're fairly even in Gr.3, I'm a little bit quicker in downforce cars and you're quicker with Gr.4 and road cars.

Super GT got all diamonds and I know for a fact that there are players faster than him who use a controller.
He did a video some time ago comparing wheel and controller, where his lap times were basically the same with wheel and controller, but his tyre wear was better with the wheel. As there's no tyre wear for the Lewis TTs, he could probably get all diamond with the controller.

I thought you were getting diamonds last night, I was seeing the messages pop up but could only half read them on the Mulsanne straight. I think we're fairly even in Gr.3, I'm a little bit quicker in downforce cars and you're quicker with Gr.4 and road cars.

Naw, just Golds and Silvers. I almost got the diamond on Seaside, that was the one I came closest too, Willow is HAF though :lol: . I’m gonna have another go at it tonight. The car understeers so much that it makes corner exits really tricky, much patience is needed. :)

Latest Posts

Back