Lots of Games have it Now. Should GT 5 have a Rewind Option?

• Thread starter Simple SIM
  • 1,300 comments

Gameplay Rewind Feature. Opinions.

• I will only buy GT5 if it makes it into the game.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, it should be in GT5.

Votes: 19 5.8%
  • I don't care if it is included, nor if it isn't.

Votes: 71 21.8%
  • No, it shouldn't be in GT5.

Votes: 210 64.6%
  • I won't buy GT5 if it makes it into the game.

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • I would never use it if it's in the game.

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I would use it only during practice.

Votes: 30 9.2%
  • I would use it only during races.

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I would use it in both modes (racing and practice).

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Other (explain).

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good idea ( not rewind feature for GT games ) would be your car is placed back on the track ( if undamaged & right way up ), because you can't get out of the kitty litter.If bad damage happens & cant participate in the race, because of a roll over, hitting a wall or another immovable object, another car ( or combination of them ) or mechanical failure then you are out of the race & the race continues.

P.s if you use all the fuel, then the engine cuts out & you coast the car on the track, and you are out of the race if you don't reach a pitstop.

Last edited:
You don't get it. When you play GT, you're not driving in real life. You're playing a sim. In real life, you have the option to use a simulator to practice driving/racing/tuning instead of doing it in real life. In a sim, you are not bound by the rules of real life. If GT is simulating real life, why can't it simulate a program that already exists in real life and allows you to do things you can't do in real life?

And for the record, I'm vehemently in opposition to rewind. I'm just rational.

And for rewind vs restart race, think of it as "there's always next year" it just doesn't take a year.
My whole point is that rewinding negates the ability for people to use GT to learn driving, since they'll just play it like an arcade racer and rewind every time they mess up and not bother to learn from their mistakes because they'll be going 300mph into the next corner anticipating the next rewind.

I always thought of GT as a learning tool and not something I can play pretend-racecar driver with, but rewind totally negates it.

Restarting IS rewinding.
Just use restart option then.

And no, rewinding =/= restart, maybe in your zone right now it is, but you will soon see the folly of your ways.

I find this all fairly amazing.

Some people oppose a rewind feature only to go play GT and click on restart race.

They claim they want it to simulate real life as much as possible but think the idea of damaging your car is overrated.

Maybe when you play GT it should be hooked up to your bank account and when you crash your car you have to pay for the repairs with real money. Would that be enough simulation for you? :sly:

It's also not mandatory that PD waste even more time implementing a feature that no one wants.
Sorry, that's your opinion, and it doesn't speak for the rest of us.
Ding.

Forza apparently will let you rewind any mistake you make during the race, you could potentially rewind through out the whole race until you are satisfied with your lack of driving skills. At least GT requires you to run the race in one successful action.

A bit cheap for people who suck at life, but its better than rewinding your way through a whole race.
Forza's rewind is there only if you use it. You don't have to use it.

But, such a simple concept seems beyond that of many.

It should be noted in Gran Turismo Championships there is NO RESTARTING. Period.

You blow a race in a championship on to the next round

Yep, and that way should it stay...

My whole point is that rewinding negates the ability for people to use GT to learn driving, since they'll just play it like an arcade racer and rewind every time they mess up and not bother to learn from their mistakes because they'll be going 300mph into the next corner anticipating the next rewind.

I always thought of GT as a learning tool and not something I can play pretend-racecar driver with, but rewind totally negates it.

Incorrect. The point of rewind is to give you complete focus on one aspect of your drive (like a certain corner) You will be in the exact same position as you were in before your mistake. Now when you rewind into the exact spot, you change variables, and learn. This gives you far more accuracy in recreating a situation than restarting.

And think about it, if you rewind and do the exact same thing (ie crash) how will it help you? You're not thinking it out.

And one good thing about rewind is it's impossible online, where the real racing is.

Well, in Gran Turismo ( and every other racing game I can think of ) you can press start at any point and click on "restart race"

Nothing realistic about that but the game would be downright frustrating without it.

I know most people are thinking that it would take all the challenge of out the game but you don't have to use it. I have even seen the option to turn it off before you start the race so temptation won't even be a problem.

So I'm gonna try not to even cover the most obvious "If you make a mistake you can just rewind and do it again" aspect of this.

1. It's fun - You can get in a series of crashes over and over again if you want to.

2. You can use it to test/mess around with the AI if it suits you. Put the AI through a series or extreme maneuvers to see how it responds.

3. It's a great way to master corners especially when it comes to drifting. Before I had to attempt a drift and if I messed it up I'd just move onto the next corner and so on untill I completed a lap and could try it again.

But with a rewind feature I can try that same corner over and over again. Adjust my speed, my angle of approach, different timing of when to use the e-brake, different methods of initiating drift ect. Do it 5 times 10 times 50 times, but when you are done you will have MASTERED that corner and can move on to the next one.

The rewind feature is an invaluable tool IMO. I sincerely hope it will be in GT 5.
sounds like you need a game that fits you. i dotn want PD to waste time implenting rewind, when they can be doing something else.

What you just said has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I bet you have clicked on "restart race" just as many times as the rest of us.

And the fact that having a rewind feature could actually improve your driving skills means nothing to you?
Rewind feature won't improve my driving skills, fact.

When practicing, if I mess up, I'll just keep going. If you argue that rewind should be in RACES then I don't know what to say to you, because you're a cheater. A car having control over space time continuum to gain the upper hand during a race isn't the same with a car just like everyone else that restarts on the same grounds as the rest.

It's just not GT, i have a few friends who were dissapointed that F3 has got the rewind feature also, and im guessing quite alot more feel the same.

Restarting a race is so much different to rewinding, you screw the last corner up in a race and you restart it's all gone just the same as if you screw up and then get to the finish line in last, however just going back and rewinding takes away the whole risk element. Yes you dont have to use it, but when you know you can sometimes it just overrides

Forza's rewind is there only if you use it. You don't have to use it.

But, such a simple concept seems beyond that of many.

So, you're saying that people won't use the rewind feature? I find that hard to believe.

however just going back and rewinding takes away the whole risk element. Yes you dont have to use it, but when you know you can sometimes it just overrides

Exactly.

It's just not GT, i have a few friends who were dissapointed that F3 has got the rewind feature also, and im guessing quite alot more feel the same.

Restarting a race is so much different to rewinding, you screw the last corner up in a race and you restart it's all gone just the same as if you screw up and then get to the finish line in last, however just going back and rewinding takes away the whole risk element. Yes you dont have to use it, but when you know you can sometimes it just overrides

If you had the ability to turn of the rewind feature before you started a race so that you couldn't use it, would you have any problem with it then?

I'd love a rewind feature, but only in online races of course. Just think of it, we'll not only have Punters to live with, but also those bloody Rewinders! :dunce:

Incorrect. The point of rewind is to give you complete focus on one aspect of your drive (like a certain corner) You will be in the exact same position as you were in before your mistake. Now when you rewind into the exact spot, you change variables, and learn. This gives you far more accuracy in recreating a situation than restarting.

And think about it, if you rewind and do the exact same thing (ie crash) how will it help you? You're not thinking it out.

And one good thing about rewind is it's impossible online, where the real racing is.
I'm in favor of being able to restart from certain points along a track, but not rewind. You can restart from the end of the long straight near the start of the nurburgring or before the two tight hairpins, but NOT in the middle of a series of complex turns as many newbies will use the rewind to do.

You quoted my post, but in no way responded to it.
because i didnt want to waste my time responding to each of your statments. just like i hope PD doesnt waste their time implenting somthing that MOST ppl dont care about.

when a person has option to buy Item A, and B. they buy the item that fits their needs. so looks like forza 3 fits your need.

If you had the ability to turn of the rewind feature before you started a race so that you couldn't use it, would you have any problem with it then?
I would still have a problem with it since that means PD will spend X number of extra days making this feature that everyone will turn off at the start of the race and certainly not abuse.

I want Gt to have everything too, but don't get overzealous with your expectations. No, rewind is no a invaluable tool in GT, it's an invaluable tool for flame wars when fans of other racing games scoff GT cuz our players can't cheat our way through races.

You can restart from the end of the long straight near the start of the nurburgring or before the two tight hairpins, but NOT in the middle of a series of complex turns as many newbies will use the rewind to do.

What's the difference?

Who cares what someone else does with it?

Why would someone restart in the middle of a corner and spin as their car becomes unbalanced?

What's the difference?

Who cares what someone else does with it?

Why would someone restart in the middle of a corner and spin as their car becomes unbalanced?
All my nitpicks of this obviously junk feature center around the fact that GT is already so far away, so let's not give them more meaningless work to drag out the development time even longer. I wish Kaz could snap a finger and all the features in the whole wide world would be in GT, but that's just a hope of course.

I'd rather drive my 1000+ cars on over 70 variations of tracks with glorious cockpit view and mind bogglingly good graphics and physics ONE day before the world ends on 2012. I don't really care if SImple SIm and other rewindists don't buy GT cuz it lacks their one "invaluable feature".

Call me selfish, whatever. XD

I would still have a problem with it since that means PD will spend X number of extra days making this feature that everyone will turn off at the start of the race and certain not abuse.

Would you have a problem with them implementing a damage model for ALL cars? I've heard some people say they don't care about damage because they "don't ever crash"

Or how about "wasting time" with online play? I've heard people say they don't care about it and only like hotlapping.

What about skid marks? would that be pointless?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

I can think hundreds of other features I would rather have first.

All my nitpicks of this obviously junk feature center around the fact that GT is already so far away, so let's not give them more meaningless work to drag out the development time even longer. I wish Kaz could snap a finger and all the features in the whole wide world would be in GT, but that's just a hope of course.

I agree, if any time went into making a rewind, I'd be angry at PD. I'm just saying there really isn't a rational argument against it, the feature itself.

I will never use it, but that does't mean it's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back