Make all cars available from the start?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 894 comments

Make all cars available from the start?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some people don't like grinding, some do, and the pros and cons are only pros and cons to themselves.

(Slightly) bigger rewards+prize cars and very small micro-transactions. Balance. Reach everyone without changing something present since 1997.

Trying to change such a personal perception, such a personal experience with a product by telling us why you prefer one way or another is.................. well there is an expression here in Brazil, "dar murro em ponta de faca", or punching the tip of a knife... i think that fits the case.

Arcade Mode only if you want to have access to the cars, and if @Johnnypenso got no time to play or any other people have not got time to play Gran Turismo, well you would think to yourself why did they buy the game in the first place.

I'm not upset that people didn't agree with me, im upset people keep accusing me of doing something that i've not done and dismissing my opinion but being a girl gamer i get that alot.
What were you accused of that you didn't do?
nothing us girls say gets taken on board.
Your sex has no relevance to me in this particular discussion. I take what you say at face value, same as everyone else.
boys always know best.
Well yeah...

kidding!
well yes, clearly GT doesn't cater your type of game but what i dont get is. some of you want cars unlocked from the start, why buy GT6 knowing that cars are locked? think about it.
We're discussing the possibilities for GT7, and what could be and what we would like to see.

The funny thing is, I'm willing to bet that no one even knew you're a female(I sure as hell didn't.)
I had no idea. The only person I was ever sure was female when they first posted had the word "girl" in their name. Even then you can't be sure, it's the internet after all:sly:

• "A lot".
  • Insulting people is neither debating, nor acceptable.

That is precisely what you are doing.

That you're now trying to play the sex card is also insulting.

Use proper grammar. You agreed to when joining the site.

(EDIT) ...and stop double-posting.

i give up, people are replying AFTER i have commented, so how the hell am i meant to keep up with out double posting? it's getting one sided this is now and I've had enough. ill just go back to posting photos on the photo section.

Last edited:
Arcade Mode only if you want to have access to the cars, and if @Johnnypenso got no time to play or any other people have not got time to play Gran Turismo, well you would think to yourself why did they buy the game in the first place.
The discussion was never "I don't have time to play a game I bought." Had you read anything and actually took part in this discussion, you would have known that. In his case, it was more along the lines of "the free time I have is minimal, so I would like if I can just jump on and enjoy myself with the free time I have."

Why is that such a problem for you, that some people would like cars unlocked? How exactly is it negatively effecting you?

So... Why did you buy it then? As someone who didn't have enough time to grind, and used the credit glitch, that is.

Just trying to follow your particularly unique brand of logic.

We're discussing the possibilities for GT7, and what could be and what we would like to see.

O that's were I've been going wrong all this time. i thought you expected PD to unlock all cars in GT6. so i think i must apologize to you all.:embarrassed:

I fully understand now.

O that's were I've been going wrong all this time. i thought you expected PD to unlock all cars in GT6. so i think i must apologize to you all.:embarrassed:

I fully understand now.
This isn't a trick is it?:scared:

I like the idea of them being Arcade/Courtesy (for online) only. Also with the option to turn Courtesy cars on and or off.

Also if GT7 had custom events, the Custom Events could have an option to allow the use of Courtesy Cars... this in turn can actually give those players money to even buy the cars in GT Modes dealership and customize it, and Custom events would allow for a lot of replayability (especially if we can increase A.I Difficulty to be real threats).

...After reading walls of text page after page, I have finally arrived at an amicable solution that "might" work for everyone.

"Bring back SHUFFLE RACING." ...That is all. Thank you.

I'm just gonna ignore the rest of that novel you posted because it was just general rambling and arguing with a point that Johnny didn't even make. But I do find it quite impressive that you own more than 1200 cars in GT5, as it has a grand total of 1088 cars in the game... In all seriousness though, clearly you're just making things up to support your point. Despite your lack of understanding of what you're actually arguing against lol.

So you don't believe I own 1200 cars in GT5??? Let me tell you a story... You can own more than one car of the same model (i.e. 3/4 Enzo's). But hey, if you want proof, I'll show after reinstall GT5 for some hours...

Any game with an unlock-based microtransaction system already does do that, and they have grown increasingly common over the previous generation. GT6 is, technically, already like that; though going on two years after release that ability to simply buy your way to the top of the heap has already died down to pretty much nothing. To a lesser extent, GT5 was like that as well with some of the expensive special edition copies.

Yes there are the "microtransactions", but pesronally I don't think it's worth it and takes out all the fun in the game, specially in BF... The fun is in the moment when you unlock a new weapon, not when you already have all of them by the start... And that's my point, some people might find it better this way, getting everythhing unlocked from day one, but others like to work (not grind) to get what they want. And I mentioned battlefield not with the microtransactons in mind, but the game itself having an option (not paid option) to get everything from start.

Johnnypenso:
Yes you progress through the game by racing, but not necessarily creating a race driver.

Where did I say that a game based on racing isn't challenging??

Get this, I ALSO WANT a challenging career mode, that gives me a better experience everytime I race. In terms of options, give us an option to change the difficulty. Give us more balanced payouts and more variety of races (not just copy/paste what we had in previous games). Make a game where you don't need to grind for days to get a 250 GTO. Make all cars available, or atleast all premium cars, in Arcade mode (unlike GT6). Eventually, to make the game less painfull to get the car/s you want, add something like I said, a roulette or "random box" system (nobody complains about it in Forza). If this last option doesn't fit you, then don't use it, just like microtransactions, ignore they exist and play the game the way YOU wish.
The problem with what you said (making every car availlable from start as an option), will generate as much discussion as the microtransactions... lots of people will like the idea just because it's a "easy way out", others not so much. And an option like this will always create a problem in a game with online an component. And this is why I mentioned BF as an example.
Now picture this, with the actual system, you get a very expensive/rare car, imagine the satisfaction you get when you go online (race, cruise, drag, whatever) and everyone says "wow nice car!". Now imagine how this will not happen because half the people will just skip racing and just have all the cars they want from start.
I'm all in for an Arcade mode with all cars availlable, I would love to try some cars before I need to buy them in the career mode. But a career with everything availlable... I don't think it would work.

PS: for the "random box" idea, what if we could get liveries out of it too? Even if we don't get a livery editor, having pre-made liveries, Martini livery, Castrol, etc., camos, simple liveries like stripes, flames...

The problem with the random box is getting it right. I love the idea personally, particuarly if we get a choice of say three liveries, but the problem with it is that at level 291 in FH2, I get a wheelspin every 61,000 XP. At level 1, it was around 10,000. And the wheelspin prizes have only gone up by ten percent over that time. However, I do agree it is a good idea if what I just said can be surmounted.

Yes you progress through the game by racing, but not necessarily creating a race driver.

Where did I say that a game based on racing isn't challenging??
2. Make a game with zero challenge, zero sense of achievement, zero sense of ownership."
You said a game with all cars from the start, where I could simply go racing online and tune cars, is not challenging. It's exactly the kind of challenge I want, to be the best, measured against real people.

Get this, I ALSO WANT a challenging career mode, that gives me a better experience everytime I race. In terms of options, give us an option to change the difficulty. Give us more balanced payouts and more variety of races (not just copy/paste what we had in previous games). Make a game where you don't need to grind for days to get a 250 GTO.
Great improvements, especially if you're really into the career mode.

Make all cars available, or atleast all premium cars, in Arcade mode (unlike GT6). Eventually, to make the game less painfull to get the car/s you want, add something like I said, a roulette or "random box" system (nobody complains about it in Forza). If this last option doesn't fit you, then don't use it, just like microtransactions, ignore they exist and play the game the way YOU wish.
Arcade mode is simply offline racing against the bots without the career part. Having all cars available there is also a good idea, but doesn't work for the online racer who doesn't want to race offline.

The problem with what you said (making every car availlable from start as an option), will generate as much discussion as the microtransactions... lots of people will like the idea just because it's a "easy way out", others not so much. And an option like this will always create a problem in a game with online an component. And this is why I mentioned BF as an example.
Now picture this, with the actual system, you get a very expensive/rare car, imagine the satisfaction you get when you go online (race, cruise, drag, whatever) and everyone says "wow nice car!". Now imagine how this will not happen because half the people will just skip racing and just have all the cars they want from start.
This "satisfaction" you are talking about, doesn't appeal to everyone. It's not a motivating factor for me. I just want to race and tune.

I'm all in for an Arcade mode with all cars availlable, I would love to try some cars before I need to buy them in the career mode. But a career with everything availlable... I don't think it would work.
Then don't choose that option. Problem solved.

I played GT4 and GT6 the most so far. I liked the dealership system that GT4 had. You could buy a variety of different cars but not all. Some had to be won and some had to be bought from the used dealership. I think it's a little bit boring that you can buy any car you like as long as you have the money. I think you should be able to deserve that car and work for it. It's not fun when you know anybody can have the car you have and it actually lowers the car's value (to me anyways).

But as many others said every car should be available from the start at least in arcade mode, but if you want to enter events and play with it online and customize it, you should have to buy it. I find it weird there is no way to test cars before you buy them in GT6.

Oh, sorry for the confusion, what I meant was, that there is no challenge in getting the cars because you already have them all. (refering to your 2nd point, where you say to make all cars available)

All I see is that your problem is with the AI... Would it be more interesting for you to play atleast some offline races if we had a better AI? Would you "give it a try"? I think you are already assuming that the AI in GT7 will suck, and there will be more boring grinding and no challenge at all other than catch the rabbit with 20 sec. advantage...
I simply would keep what we have in the game, BUT make a better and more appealing career, with difficulty settings and various ways to get the cars we want without need for grinding... more cars as prizes at the end of the events for example, that in GT6 didn't exist at all, which didn't make sence at all...

This "satisfaction" you are talking about, doesn't appeal to everyone. It's not a motivating factor for me. I just want to race and tune.

"Me, Me, Me", it's all about you isn't it? If the game gets proper offline racing, would you be happy? Then you could race and tune, and enjoy doing it both online and offline. Happy? People just enjoy to overcomplicate sometimes...
All we need to ask for is better AI and adequate payouts, then almost everyone will be happy.

I played GT4 and GT6 the most so far. I liked the dealership system that GT4 had. You could buy a variety of different cars but not all. Some had to be won and some had to be bought from the used dealership. I think it's a little bit boring that you can buy any car you like as long as you have the money. I think you should be able to deserve that car and work for it. It's not fun when you know anybody can have the car you have and it actually lowers the car's value (to me anyways).

But as many others said every car should be available from the start at least in arcade mode, but if you want to enter events and play with it online and customize it, you should have to buy it. I find it weird there is no way to test cars before you buy them in GT6.

The problem with that dealership system, where you can't buy all cars, would make some cars inaccessible for some people, for example, in the 24hrs races (if we get them), not everyone can complete them, so if they hide some unique car, there would be people who couldn't be able to get it.
In my opinion, in arcade mode I want every car availlable, so you can try before buying them... As for the career, which is tied with the online mode, you should have to buy the cars or get them as prizes...

While I do see a little "on-topic" conversation going on, there is still a lot of talk about the AI and how GT7 should be played offline and online. Shouldn't there be another thread discussing about these? Or perhaps change the thread's title to fit in with the argument at hand?

I really hate sounding like that one guy, but it is somewhat bugging me. The thread is about whether or not all cars should be available from the start, after all.

While I do see a little "on-topic" conversation going on, there is still a lot of talk about the AI and how GT7 should be played offline and online. Shouldn't there be another thread discussing about these? Or perhaps change the thread's title to fit in with the argument at hand?

I really hate sounding like that one guy, but it is somewhat bugging me. The thread is about whether or not all cars should be available from the start, after all.
The easiest way to not be that guy is to press that Report button along the top right of each post. Essentially, you are doing exactly what you are complaining about.

All I see is that your problem is with the AI... Would it be more interesting for you to play atleast some offline races if we had a better AI? Would you "give it a try"? I think you are already assuming that the AI in GT7 will suck, and there will be more boring grinding and no challenge at all other than catch the rabbit with 20 sec. advantage...
I simply would keep what we have in the game, BUT make a better and more appealing career, with difficulty settings and various ways to get the cars we want without need for grinding... more cars as prizes at the end of the events for example, that in GT6 didn't exist at all, which didn't make sence at all...
I can actually live with that. If the Ai in a game gives a challenge, then I would be all for it really. The reason why I'd prefer all cars unlocked is mainly because it gets boring when your 16 grid race turns into a hot lapping session instead. If there was actually some challenge to it I wouldn't mind having to "earn" my cars. An up in winning credits wouldn't hurt either. I feel the same in the case of Forza Motorsports as well, although on there it is extremely easy to get credits.

"Me, Me, Me", it's all about you isn't it? If the game gets proper offline racing, would you be happy? Then you could race and tune, and enjoy doing it both online and offline. Happy? People just enjoy to overcomplicate sometimes...
All we need to ask for is better AI and adequate payouts, then almost everyone will be happy.
Just the same, your opinion is all about you and how you feel. So why wouldn't his be about him?

The problem with that dealership system, where you can't buy all cars, would make some cars inaccessible for some people, for example, in the 24hrs races (if we get them), not everyone can complete them, so if they hide some unique car, there would be people who couldn't be able to get it.
In my opinion, in arcade mode I want every car availlable, so you can try before buying them... As for the career, which is tied with the online mode, you should have to buy the cars or get them as prizes...
I probably wouldn't even get into the endurance races, honestly. They've never appealed to me, as I just cant sit there for that long like that. I'm fine with 1-3 hours, but anything longer would lose my attention. I don't like short races, but I don't like overly long races either. If anything, maybe a prize for those should just be one of the more expensive cars in the game, that way it can still be accessible to all.

I can actually live with that. If the Ai in a game gives a challenge, then I would be all for it really. The reason why I'd prefer all cars unlocked is mainly because it gets boring when your 16 grid race turns into a hot lapping session instead. If there was actually some challenge to it I wouldn't mind having to "earn" my cars. An up in winning credits wouldn't hurt either. I feel the same in the case of Forza Motorsports as well, although on there it is extremely easy to get credits.

Just the same, your opinion is all about you and how you feel. So why wouldn't his be about him?

Well, I speak for me but taking into account what problems most of the people might bring with a decision like "making every car available", when there are other solutions instead to make the game more appealing to play even offline. Atleast I justify why I say "No" to that, and tried to explain what 225 of the people who said No think. Of course I can't speak for all of them, but some probably think like this, that the online component of the game would get unbalanced for those who want to go through the career, and buy the cars, when others just have everything with no effort from day one. And that feeling that you get from owning a rare car will disappear, because it's not rare anymore.

I probably wouldn't even get into the endurance races, honestly. They've never appealed to me, as I just cant sit there for that long like that. I'm fine with 1-3 hours, but anything longer would lose my attention. I don't like short races, but I don't like overly long races either. If anything, maybe a prize for those should just be one of the more expensive cars in the game, that way it can still be accessible to all.

That's why I mentioned the endurance races. Not everyone is willing to spend hours in the same race, even with good AI, good sounds, good looking cars... so make a car unaccessible unless you win a certain race is not a good idea, and will generate more complaints.

Well, I speak for me but taking into account what problems most of the people might bring with a decision like "making every car available", when there are other solutions instead to make the game more appealing to play even offline. Atleast I justify why I say "No" to that, and tried to explain what 225 of the people who said No think. Of course I can't speak for all of them, but some probably think like this, that the online component of the game would get unbalanced for those who want to go through the career, and buy the cars, when others just have everything with no effort from day one. And that feeling that you get from owning a rare car will disappear, because it's not rare anymore.
That's the thing, you cant speak for everyone. In other words, you are doing the same thing he is doing, but just for the opposite side? The game would not become unbalanced at all, why would it? If there is restrictions within each and every event that stop people from using certain cars, then having cars unlocked would not be a problem. At this point in time, is there any "rare" cars anymore? Considering money glitches have been around for some time now, for many games, I would say that this point is irrelevant. The only real effort being put forth is be able to do a mind numbing amount of races(if you can even call them that.) I would say that's more around dedication, rather then effort.

That's why I mentioned the endurance races. Not everyone is willing to spend hours in the same race, even with good AI, good sounds, good looking cars... so make a car unaccessible unless you win a certain race is not a good idea, and will generate more complaints.
I would be willing to if my eyes never got strained :lol:, it's just too much time to sit and stare at a screen, even if you do pause it from time to time. That's why I mentioned, that if there's going to be any prize cars, just make it one of the more expensive cars.

... the online component of the game would get unbalanced for those who want to go through the career, and buy the cars, when others just have everything with no effort from day one.
It won't.
This has already been explained many times: have all cars available from the start online as courtesy cars but include the option for host to block courtesy cars and limit car selection to career garage only. People who aren't interested in offline career can still access cars while people who like to earn their cars can be matched with similar players.
Besides, you can always set limits to prevent players from using cars you don't own and/or cars that might give others some sort of unfair advantage, not to mention options such as damage, penalties and banning certain aids, all of which tend to keep bad players out of the lobby.

GT4 would have been the perfect game to make all cars available from the start. The licence tests would fulfill its purpose in opening up the game to use those cars. The Practice Mode allowed the user to race with other cars on the same track. It was the structure of that game that makes all cars available a no-brainer.

GT6 has no structure. The "Career Mode" is dead. The One Make races: you might as well be given a car. I have the 15th Anniversary. When I saw I didnt have to drind to get in some races, you bet I used those blue cars. I enjoyed that. Made the game feel a bit different for me. I also had the choice not to use them.

I dont know what structure PD will usw for GT7. If it is going to be a free for all: example, ust pic a discipline like how there is the option to pick Supercars, Touring cars, Le Mans, Rally and just enter races based on those cars. Making all cars available suits that type of structure.

There have to be options. Just as it was optional to buy a game that gave access to extra cars to use. Because I tell you right now, those that wanted to grind, I no way affected my offline and online game play.

Similar to many others in this thread, you're stuck in the one-size-fits-all mode of thinking. I'm trying to think outside the box, give players different ways to play the game, from the classic career mode, to sandbox, to combining the two any way you like. Do I think GT could use a much better career mode with more challening (optionally of course) AI? Yes, of course. Does that appeal to everyone that wants to buy the game? No it doesn't. It really doesn't matter what you do with a single minded approach, you are going to have some players that are happy with it and some that are not because outside of Aishwarya Rai, there is no one thing that is appealing to everyone:sly:

I like how progressing through the game and collecting cars is called "grinding" in this thread... I always enjoyed actually unlocking or saving up to buy expensive cars as it gave a sense of achievement to the game. Also, starting out with cheap cars and ending up driving supercars gave the game a bit more realism, considering that racing drivers in real life progress through classes and don't jump straight in to F1 or Nascar.

...I'm reading some people compare GT's progression with how it's "supposed" to be in real life. :indiff:

Really? This is a game. NOT A REAL LIFE. In a game, regardless of who you are, you are supposed to be having fun, right? So if certain portion of the demographic isn't having the said "fun" wouldn't you say there's something fundamentally wrong somewhere? :irked:

Still have no idea where this whole comparison between offline and online racing is coming from, but hey, I'll play along. Point to me a person who complains about offline but not online racing, and then explain to me how racing online and offline is the same when I've already pointed out some rather big differences, differences that justify why one might enjoy online but not offline racing.

Okay.

My ultimate goal is to enjoy driving and racing, and making that as tedium free as possible (i.e. no grinding) is best.

In the case of GT6, that means exploiting the credit glitch.

How so?

Removing restrictions to which cars you can race somehow takes away from the experience? Does that mean that adding restrictions to which cars you can race adds to the fun?

Edit: Corrected a typo.

Because why else would you be running a career in a video game if there wasn't some kind of reward? There's no reward for doing the career if all the cars are unlocked. And don't tell me "winning" is the reward because you're not actually winning anything. In a proper career mode however, you are winning. You're winning credits, and possibly cars while in pCars you win nothing.

If you're all for there being no restrictions, why don't you just ignore the career in pCars and follow your own?

If pCars was like GT6, I would have ten times as much motivation to do the career mode that I do now. That's why pCars career is a fail. Especially because they drag it out so long and don't have road car series, only road car invitationals.

And I love pCars, don't get me wrong but I'm not sure I'm gonna keep playing it after GT7 comes out. And usually, I don't do that with racing games. I still haven't stopped playing Driveclub but pCars will have no use to me once GT7 comes out other than racing the cars that only pCars has. Unless GT7 somehow doesn't have better FFB and physics, which I highly doubt since GT6 already does.

Because why else would you be running a career in a video game if there wasn't some kind of reward? There's no reward for doing the career if all the cars are unlocked. And don't tell me "winning" is the reward because you're not actually winning anything. In a proper career mode however, you are winning. You're winning credits, and possibly cars while in pCars you win nothing.

If you're all for there being no restrictions, why don't you just ignore the career in pCars and follow your own?

If pCars was like GT6, I would have ten times as much motivation to do the career mode that I do now. That's why pCars career is a fail. Especially because they drag it out so long and don't have road car series, only road car invitationals.

And I love pCars, don't get me wrong but I'm not sure I'm gonna keep playing it after GT7 comes out. And usually, I don't do that with racing games. I still haven't stopped playing Driveclub but pCars will have no use to me once GT7 comes out other than racing the cars that only pCars has. Unless GT7 somehow doesn't have better FFB and physics, which I highly doubt since GT6 already does.

GT6 has better physics than Pcars? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha nice one. I thought you must have been delusional to think that winning pretend money was the only way a racing game's career could feel rewarding, and then you made that comment and proved that you indeed were.

In the real world, if you are a GT Academy winner, you do not buy your race car. You are actually given race cars to test and race. Seems less real if GT is supposed to be a real life(excuse me, "driving" ) simulator.

So, if I am going to play a racing game that mimics real life, might as well give me all the cars at my disposal since that is what its like in real life.

Back