Manual-Only drivers post here

5_speed_5.0
If you are a manual only driver in GT4, post any comment on why you prefer this setting.

First thing I changed on the option meny was Manual gearing. So much better. As stated pretty much above, it's better, faster, allow you to engine brake, etc. For me, it's mostly that the driver is requried to do a lot more, and with the Logitech Driving Force Pro, it really feels natural, and it's very fun. Nothing beats a drive with a manual Integra or Evo, it just goes so quick! I think I couldn't go back to auto, maybe if I was driving the Jag S-type or another pre-Auto'd car...

sucahyo
So, the F1 car must be automatic then, isn't the electronic shift up automatically (shift down is still manual)?

Are you required to change gear by yourself, or will it do it for you?

Your section in parentheses indicates that the driver MUST choose his own shift points at least on the downshifts, so it's manual.

sucahyo
It seems the primary reason for you all using manual because it has more control, right? not because you want to use the most power (hp).

If you use manual properly, you get both.

Famine
Are you required to change gear by yourself, or will it do it for you?

Your section in parentheses indicates that the driver MUST choose his own shift points at least on the downshifts, so it's manual.
Lets call it semi automatic then :)
I assume the gear change is automatic because I see the shift rpm is exactly the same when upshift, maybe to protect the engine from overrev.

Famine
If you use manual properly, you get both.
I still not using it properly then..........

Autobahn ?

sucahyo
I assume the gear change is automatic because I see the shift rpm is exactly the same when upshift, maybe to protect the engine from overrev.

I still not using it properly then..........

Autobahn ?

Autobahn? What does the name of the German highways with no speed limit have to do with this?

sucahyo

I believe F1 drivers shift themselves. Certainly the in-car stuff I've seen indicates this. The engine's rev limit is set by the team and adjusted during the race.

some say they arent true manuals as the clutch isnt driver operated and the gears are changed via electronic padel shift, but they are still manual because the driver decides when to shift the car and it is still possible to over rev the car or stall it (coughfisicough.) if it were not a manual the driver would have no say in when the car shifted. it would use pre set speed/rpm settings to either shift up or down. this is not how it works.

"The gearboxes of modern Formula One cars are now highly automated with drivers selecting gears via paddles fitted behind the steering wheel. The 'sequential' gearboxes used are very similar in principle to those of motorbikes, allowing gearchanges to be made far faster than with the traditional "H" gate selector, with the gearbox selectors operated electrically. Despite such high levels of technology, under 2004 regulations fully automatic transmission systems have been outlawed, as has launch-control, meaning drivers must control the clutch themselves, at least at the start of a race."

http://www.formula1.com/

Theres no semi-automatic in there, it's an electronic system thats operated manually so it's a manual. If it was semi-automatic it would still be able to shift for you, but F1 gearboxes are not allowed to do any shifting for the driver.

live4speed
Theres no semi-automatic in there, it's an electronic system thats operated manually so it's a manual. If it was semi-automatic it would still be able to shift for you, but F1 gearboxes are not allowed to do any shifting for the driver.
If quote different pages we get different result:
http://www.formula1.com/insight/rulesandregs/14/496.html
The majority of modern Formula One cars use seven-speed semi-automatic gearboxes. Regulations stipulate at least four forward gears, up to a maximum of seven. All cars must also have a reverse gear. Constantly Variable Transmission (CVT) systems are not allowed and cars may have no more than two driven wheels.

For safety reasons all cars must have a means of disengaging the clutch that is operable from outside the cockpit by marshals. This control is usually situated just ahead of the cockpit opening and is marked on the car’s body by a red letter “N” within a white circle.
So this means that the regulation only ban fully automatic but permit semi-automatic, or maybe the site is inconsistent.

what you quote is worded wrong. a semi auto would allow both manual and automatic shifting. F1 cars can not shift themselves.

No it's against the rules for an F1 car's gearbox to shift for the driver, so the driver does ALL the shifting up and down, theres no semi-auto to be argued over. The wording in the sentence seems to be missleading in that area, whast it probably means is what I said before, the gears are changed manually but it's computer operated, ie the change is electronic but the gears are still manual , manual meaning what it's always meant, the gears are selected by the driver and only the driver.

I do think 'semi-auto' is a suitable word. Like, semi-auto guns take care of the reload cycle, but the shooter has to pull the trigger again for each shot. Not that it really matters much what you call it as long as you know how it works :)

Back on topic, I drive manual (or 'semi-auto'...) unless the game forces me not to. When I play, the more involved I can get, the better.
Staying inside the power band and minimizing wheelspin is a lot easier with manual, at least if you can hear the engine. On many cars thats rather hard if you use the roof or bumper view, especially the Porsches. Damn, I forgot to shift ^^

From my own view sequential gearbox is semi automatic, because it give you less miss shifting, just like in GT. This will include every car with no H gear box. Are there H gearbox for GT? It would be fun to experience some miss shifting during the race............

Reading about people disagreements on the F1 style of shifting, and whether that is manual or semi-automatic, i would just say that to me, it's semi-automatic.

What i mean by this, is that in real life, with a stick shifter, you can actually chose which gear to start in, *which gear to skip through during the drive phase* and which gear to be in during the braking phase.

GT (the game), is semi-automatic as well, because of the way that the game and controllers are designed.

To give an example:

Say, i am driving along at a steady pace, in 5th gear. I see a hill, a very steep hill. Therefore, just before i get to the hill, or at the start of the hill climb, i would then shift straight down to the 3rd gear, missing out the 4th gear. (To maximise engine power to get up the hill asap):
5th ~> 3rd

In the game, and in F1 style gears, you actually cannot do that. You have to go from:
5th ~> 4th ~> 3rd
To get to the desired gear.

I believe this to be semi-automatic, but i cannot yet explain in a coherant way...

I hope everyone understands that i am *NOT* saying : You're WRONG!

I am just pointing out my opinions on this discussion. Feel free to explain why i may be wrong, or suggest better ways of explaining what i'm trying to say...:)

I get exactley what you're saying, with a paddle shifter you can only go up 1 or down 1 one whereas say irl I regularly go from third to first when slowing. However I completely dissagree on you're definition of semi-automatic but respect the fact you've stated thats just how you view it.

I feel that if you have to change gear yourself it's a manual, to me it doesn't matter if it's a paddle box where you can only go up or down one by one, it's still a manual imo, a semi auto is a gearbox where you can change gear or let the computer change for you.

5_speed_5.0
If you are a manual only driver in GT4, post any comment on why you prefer this setting.
I have always played with manual gearshifts, It is much more fun

Who would want a sports/supercar with an auto gearbox? :crazy:

Well not using the paddles on the steering wheel would be stupid, and even though its clutchless it still adds a lot more envolvement.

I love GT4 drifting. When you are drifting it's hard to stabilize your car with auto. With manual it's easy - u shift at low RPM's it stops your wheels for spining. There is a lot of ways that manual can help u. I hope next GT will have different shifting system for EX- you can go straight to 2-nd gear from 4-th one - with this kind of thing I can make way better drifts. There was a game hm...... "GTR racing" - this game have chluch tough :odd:

domantas
for EX- you can go straight to 2-nd gear from 4-th one - with this kind of thing I can make way better drifts.
I see in an in car drift competition video, the driver is using clutch very frequently during drift. It would be cool if we can do that :) .

I'm new to this forum and GT4 but not to the series. Manual adds realism to the game and makes u feel more into it. I tried going back to auto and it just didn't seem right.

nitro_2005
i used to drive in auto, but i now feel more comfortable in manual because it allows me to shift when I want to, not the computer!!! (if that makes any sense at all!!!)
argeed

i started using manual cause the computer would never change down when i wanted it too and also when i didnt want it too(with a high powered car)

Manual only here. I just like having the extra control and being able to shift when I want to, not when the car touches the redline.

I would, however, love to see real automatics implemented into the game. Some cars do not have a manual transmission as an option from the factory, and you can tell some cars in GT4 would really be automatics. The Ford Taurus SHO should be, along with the SVT Lightning. Most modern 4 speed cars in GT4 were most likely automatics in real life, but PD just put their gears in as if they were 4 speed sticks. A few cars will move at idle in GT4, but then you have to shift them. The Mercedes SL500 does this, I think. It may have an "autostick" or whatever Mercedes calls it, though. While I'm making my automatic speech (I've made this several times now :lol: ) I should mention another idea involving transmissions. I think that when you go to purchase a car from a dealer (cars purchased as "new" only) you should be given the option to choose a transmission from the ones available in real life. The automatic should cost a little more, to reflect real life. These options could also be used sort of like building a car on the internet. You go to the dealer like you do now and select a base model of the car you are interested in, select the trim packages and everything. So if you wanted a new Skyline GT-R M-Spec Nur, you would go to the Nissan dealer, select Skyline as the base car, select the year, performance spec (GT-R) and then M-Spec Nur.

Just something different from wading through 15 Skyline GT-Rs in the dealer. 👍

Back