McLaren Reveals Lighter, More Powerful 600 "Longtail"

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 28, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

IngRobNy likes this.
  2. Chikane

Chikane

I like it way more then the 570s and it looks better to :)

3. Famine

Famine Administrator

I'm not a huge fan of the fixed rear spoiler. It seems like, in normal, daily driving - which is what the Sports Series is for - it would just cause drag and hose the fuel economy. The 720S has a retractible version, and I'm sure that McLaren could have fitted a similar unit, at the expense of a few pounds or so of that 210lb weight reduction, on the £185,500 car...

Otherwise, *rubs thighs*

4. flamingchariot

flamingchariot

Strictly for the "G's"...it's most boys dream of a supercar but like most modern cars coming out of the supercar makers not practical or even real world drive-able. That's not to say I wouldn't jump at the chance to scare myself to death if given the chance to drive one though. Some of the older cars were much faster (and dangerous) and probably more fun if you made it round a track and walked away in one piece at the end. Not a fan over over computerised cars.

5. AudiMan2011

AudiMan2011 Contributing Writer

Nowadays I tend to associate Mclaren's LT cars as "Lightweight Track" as opposed to "LongTail". This though is more aesthetically pleasing than the 675LT and I think the fixed rear wing works well on this car. Quite a stunner.

6. Famine

Famine Administrator

The regular 570S is very driveable indeed, and the 720S - from which this 600LT borrows some of the front suspension components - is a little harsher but easy to deal with day to day. McLaren develops its cars to deal with the roads around the factory, so they tend to work very well on UK roads.

And the boot (or frunk) is no worse than a Mazda MX-5's boot.

7. Turbo

Turbo Premium

The original Longtail is much better:

[​IMG]

SiriusR, Michael88 and McLaren like this.
  8. Chikane

Chikane

Nevermind :) please delete this post

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  9. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

With the DBS Superleggra and now this, British brands have been killing the supercar game recently! :tup:

WheelmanSteve likes this.
  10. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

JAFM

Joey D likes this.
  11. 919 Hybrid

919 Hybrid Premium

This is coming from the same person who is angered by those that say bad things about the P1

Sutuki, ImaRobot, McLaren and 2 others like this.
  12. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

Except it's not. There's only 3 of them (well, 2, the first one belongs to McLaren) and they're all sitting in personal collections/museums, no one's ever driven them and no one will ever do. You could probably buy 80 600LTs for the amount of money one of those would go for. But more importantly, the added rear end length and exhaust work that had to be done resulted in the car not sounding quite as good as the short tail F1. Doesn't quite look as good, either.

13. Chikane

Chikane

I wasn't the one coming into this thread about the 600LT posting pictures of the F1 LT OR P1

And again attacking me on the p1 :rolleyes: kinda getting old now ;) Come up with something new already.

And to Famine i'm sorry about hijacking your thread.

Edit - forgot to add that nahh i don't get angry over people saying bad things about the p1.... its just a car ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  14. Turbo

Turbo Premium

Funny how you say he's "attacking" you, yet you're the one who attacks others for having opinions different from yours.

15. Famine

Famine Administrator

Oh I wouldn't worry, it's only a discussion thread for a news post on the front page of the site and thus directly linked from all of our social media.
    The F1 LT is on-topic. I mean, look at the quote from McLaren's CEO:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Minty and Chikane like this.
  16. 05XR8

05XR8

From the side pic, the extra three inches, is it a long "tail" or wheelbase? I'm not seeing the same lineage as the F1.

17. Famine

Famine Administrator

The wheelbase is unchanged. If I were a betting man I'd say a few mm comes from marginally extended rear body work, and the rest from the new splitter and diffuser.

18. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Don’t see how that disputes what he said; it’s his opinion much as your post is your’s. I quite like the sound the Longtails make and think the ‘97 GTRs are the best looking out of the bunch.

Half of what you described applies to half the F1 production anyways. How many F1s are ever seen? What about the short tail LM? Nearly as rare as the GT and yet Ralph hides his, the Sultan’s are gone, the Massachusetts car is never seen but once every 5 years. IDK where the 5th one is these days. And McLaren has been displaying that GT much more often than they have their LM.

Hell, this describes a huge chunk of any supercar born in the 90s.

19. Famine

Famine Administrator

McLaren says there's nine of them (plus a development car), we featured one that came up for sale earlier this year, and we also featured Nelson Piquet driving one on the public road this time last year.

20. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Fred is referring to the GT that article makes a mention of.
    They were built for homologation purposes, but the death of the F1 in '98 put a quick stop to any more GTs.

It's a bit funny to see McLaren state there are only 9 + plus a "development" car, #19R. That car was built & ran in the FIA GT for 2 seasons before finishing the next 4 years in the JGTC. #11R did serve as a very brief development mule for the CLK GTR, though.

21. 05XR8

05XR8

I see. That's kind of a "long tail" the way they're explaining it. Shhh... I know, I know. The door is thataway...