McLaren Reveals Lighter, More Powerful 600 "Longtail"

I'm not a huge fan of the fixed rear spoiler. It seems like, in normal, daily driving - which is what the Sports Series is for - it would just cause drag and hose the fuel economy. The 720S has a retractible version, and I'm sure that McLaren could have fitted a similar unit, at the expense of a few pounds or so of that 210lb weight reduction, on the £185,500 car...

Otherwise, *rubs thighs*

Strictly for the "G's"...it's most boys dream of a supercar but like most modern cars coming out of the supercar makers not practical or even real world drive-able. That's not to say I wouldn't jump at the chance to scare myself to death if given the chance to drive one though. Some of the older cars were much faster (and dangerous) and probably more fun if you made it round a track and walked away in one piece at the end. Not a fan over over computerised cars.

Nowadays I tend to associate Mclaren's LT cars as "Lightweight Track" as opposed to "LongTail". This though is more aesthetically pleasing than the 675LT and I think the fixed rear wing works well on this car. Quite a stunner.

Strictly for the "G's"...it's most boys dream of a supercar but like most modern cars coming out of the supercar makers not practical or even real world drive-able.
The regular 570S is very driveable indeed, and the 720S - from which this 600LT borrows some of the front suspension components - is a little harsher but easy to deal with day to day. McLaren develops its cars to deal with the roads around the factory, so they tend to work very well on UK roads.

And the boot (or frunk) is no worse than a Mazda MX-5's boot.

The original Longtail is much better:

Except it's not. There's only 3 of them (well, 2, the first one belongs to McLaren) and they're all sitting in personal collections/museums, no one's ever driven them and no one will ever do. You could probably buy 80 600LTs for the amount of money one of those would go for. But more importantly, the added rear end length and exhaust work that had to be done resulted in the car not sounding quite as good as the short tail F1. Doesn't quite look as good, either.

This is coming from the same person who is angered by those that say bad things about the P1
I wasn't the one coming into this thread about the 600LT posting pictures of the F1 LT OR P1

And again attacking me on the p1 :rolleyes: kinda getting old now ;) Come up with something new already.

And to Famine i'm sorry about hijacking your thread.

Edit - forgot to add that nahh i don't get angry over people saying bad things about the p1.... its just a car ;)

Last edited:
I wasn't the one coming into this thread about the 600LT posting pictures of the F1 LT OR P1

And again attacking me on the p1 :rolleyes: kinda getting old now ;) Come up with something new already.

Funny how you say he's "attacking" you, yet you're the one who attacks others for having opinions different from yours.

Oh I wouldn't worry, it's only a discussion thread for a news post on the front page of the site and thus directly linked from all of our social media.
I wasn't the one coming into this thread about the 600LT posting pictures of the F1 LT
The F1 LT is on-topic. I mean, look at the quote from McLaren's CEO:
“The McLaren 600LT is only the fourth ‘Longtail’ McLaren in more than two decades. The McLaren F1 GTR ‘Longtail’ that began the lineage was one of the purest race cars in modern motorsport history. The 675LT resurrected the revered name, creating the purest distillation of the sheer driving pleasure embodied by all McLaren cars. Now we are further extending our very special LT family – albeit in limited numbers – and once again showcasing the ethos of optimised aerodynamics, increased power, reduced weight, track-focused dynamics and enhanced driver engagement that are the hallmarks of a McLaren ‘Longtail’.”

Last edited:
From the side pic, the extra three inches, is it a long "tail" or wheelbase? I'm not seeing the same lineage as the F1.

From the side pic, the extra three inches, is it a long "tail" or wheelbase? I'm not seeing the same lineage as the F1.
The wheelbase is unchanged. If I were a betting man I'd say a few mm comes from marginally extended rear body work, and the rest from the new splitter and diffuser.

Except it's not. There's only 3 of them (well, 2, the first one belongs to McLaren) and they're all sitting in personal collections/museums, no one's ever driven them and no one will ever do. You could probably buy 80 600LTs for the amount of money one of those would go for. But more importantly, the added rear end length and exhaust work that had to be done resulted in the car not sounding quite as good as the short tail F1. Doesn't quite look as good, either.
Don’t see how that disputes what he said; it’s his opinion much as your post is your’s. I quite like the sound the Longtails make and think the ‘97 GTRs are the best looking out of the bunch.

Half of what you described applies to half the F1 production anyways. How many F1s are ever seen? What about the short tail LM? Nearly as rare as the GT and yet Ralph hides his, the Sultan’s are gone, the Massachusetts car is never seen but once every 5 years. IDK where the 5th one is these days. And McLaren has been displaying that GT much more often than they have their LM.

Hell, this describes a huge chunk of any supercar born in the 90s.

Except it's not. There's only 3 of them (well, 2, the first one belongs to McLaren) and they're all sitting in personal collections/museums, no one's ever driven them and no one will ever do.
McLaren says there's nine of them (plus a development car), we featured one that came up for sale earlier this year, and we also featured Nelson Piquet driving one on the public road this time last year.

McLaren says there's nine of them (plus a development car), we featured one that came up for sale earlier this year, and we also featured Nelson Piquet driving one on the public road this time last year.
Fred is referring to the GT that article makes a mention of.
Three McLaren F1 GT road cars were built, with the original ‘XP GT’ prototype still retained by McLaren, and two more purchased by customers, making it the rarest of all the F1s to wear number plates.
They were built for homologation purposes, but the death of the F1 in '98 put a quick stop to any more GTs.

It's a bit funny to see McLaren state there are only 9 + plus a "development" car, #19R. That car was built & ran in the FIA GT for 2 seasons before finishing the next 4 years in the JGTC. #11R did serve as a very brief development mule for the CLK GTR, though.

The wheelbase is unchanged. If I were a betting man I'd say a few mm comes from marginally extended rear body work, and the rest from the new splitter and diffuser.
I see. That's kind of a "long tail" the way they're explaining it. Shhh... I know, I know. The door is thataway...

McLaren 600LT Spider Segestria Borealis Edition unveiled. A special edition of 12 cars featuring paint and interior detailing inspired by the venomous arachnid, Segestria Florentina. The cars have already been nick-named the spider-spiders.

b97faa12fb2c5f613c349af605a20495e61fcf95.jpg

2235564c4398079c238341c7c098e2b82ef0b5b7.jpg

698ea652b6797f4e868d32349aab405c9e35757d.jpg

McLaren 600LT Spider Segestria Borealis Edition unveiled. A special edition of 12 cars featuring paint and interior detailing inspired by the venomous arachnid, Segestria Florentina. The cars have already been nick-named the spider-spiders.

Am I getting old or does this look really cheap and generally awful?

You're not alone in thinking that.

As if calling this car a "Long Tail" wasn't already problematic.

I should say that the base green paint is absolutely stunning but those neon stickers are just incredibly bad. Not to mention the headrests.

That's a frustrating one, that base green is absolutely gorgeous. I wish all nice cars came in that colour.

Latest Posts

Back