McLaren's New Ultimate Vision Gran Turismo Car Revealed

• Thread starter Marky264
  • 142 comments
Whilst I do welcome new VGT's to the game, my initial reaction was slight disappointment - it does come across as another slightly generic vision of the future with 1000+hp... but after thinking about it, if you imagine a P1, and then evolve it a couple of generations, I can imagine this is where you might end up. Perhaps the "seating position" is a flight of fancy, but at least they've explained that this stacks up behind a desire to offer the virtual pilot a more dynamic experience. I have always, and will continue to, utilise GT's bumper cam for playing the game... Why? because cockpit cam feels distant and disconnected, it lacks a sense of precision and a sense of speed... given this, Mclarens reasoning behind the cockpit layout absolutely resonates with me.

I´m wondering about this car if it´s not the same -or at least similar- case with the Chiron and the Bugatti Vision GT - wich is a Chiron Race Version-... Don´t forget that McLaren is working in the P15, a model wich is said to be in the Ultimate range of the brand and perhaps -without the sitting position- this car is a race versión of what the brand is about to unleash IRL.

The first chassis is in build right now and will hit the track in October.

It's very likely the LMP1 field will be quite a bit larger than this season with serious interest from privateers.

The Ginetta LMP1 is "built" where? And how do you have this insider knowledge...unless you didn't read correctly and you assumed he was talking about the McLaren and not replying to another user like he was.

I´m wondering about this car if it´s not the same -or at least similar- case with the Chiron and the Bugatti Vision GT - wich is a Chiron Race Version-... Don´t forget that McLaren is working in the P15, a model wich is said to be in the Ultimate range of the brand and perhaps -without the sitting position- this car is a race versión of what the brand is about to unleash IRL.
And, in terms of visuals, this McLaren is not far away from the Aston Martin/Red Bull 'Valkyrie'.

I like the VGT car and concept, however if you're racing with what I presume would be super-speeds in such with body and head forward like that, closer to the windshield, wouldn't that increase the chances of serious neck and/or head injury should God forbid you get involved in a crash?

Perhaps the "seating position" is a flight of fancy, but at least they've explained that this stacks up behind a desire to offer the virtual pilot a more dynamic experience.

Indeed. 👍 Not only that but I think it would translate well, in a real life scenario too, (that's if we can look past, or come up with solutions to the obvious safety concerns, presented by such a driving position).

Yep, a super aggressive "LMP1WithoutRules" track machine is what one would expect from McLaren, hopefully it'll be in about the same speed league as the Chaparral 2X. It's odd seeing how all of the manufacturers interpret Vision Gran Turismo, so let's review:
Mercedes actually made a Gran Turismo or Grand Touring car (which looks better than their AMG GT) and a racing version
BMW made a believable widebody touring car
Mitsubishi stuck a wing onto their XR-PHEV concept and called it a day because they couldn't afford to design something new
Bertone had an utterly beautiful machine drawn up and then they went bankrupt :(:(:(
Volkswagen made a... Grand Touring Golf? Yes, a Golf with a crazy widebody and supercar power levels!
Nissan say their Vector M12/Fighter Jet/Shark is pretty much the R36 GT-R, which if true is nuts! Time will see what compromises they make.
Aston Martin made a lovely, original Grand Touring car with probably too much power for you on the road and racing slicks :confused:
Toyota gave us a racing version of their next Supra
Subaru made a very chunky, very Subaru thing, which I can't figure out what it is. Versatile I guess, like a Subaru.
Chaparral came out of nowhere and, because innovations they pioneered like movable aerodynamics and sucker cars are old hat now, they made a car propelled by lasers, because
Mazda made an LMP tribute to the 787B except it isn't powered by a rotary
BM... I mean MINI made a fat track day Mini
Alpine gave us a very interesting lightweight monoposto in touring and racing versions
Lexus made a racing Lexus with a shiny rainbow swoosh and ridiculously tight wheelarches
Peugeot made a 1bhp/kg fast wedge
Dodge made the world's fastest road car, with a much faster racing version and an insane X model presumably just so they could have the fastest car in the game. If anyone one-ups them with a 3000bhp 600kg WipEout craft on wheels I'll die laughing.
Hyundai made an LMP to compete with Mazda (like how all of their compact cars are competing with Mazda)
Bugatti made a racing Chiron before they'd completely revealed the Chiron.
and now McLaren has a LMP-shaped but Chaparral-fast (and Chaparral driving position) track eater.

So that makes 4 road or road-ish Grand Touring cars, 6-ish bodykits, some LMP things... I lost count, whatever, analyse it yourselves, it's mostly opinion.
The Italian design houses, shoe manufacturers and Daihatsu will be very interesting to see, let's hope they don't drop out.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo Concept: Vision Gran Turismo, anyone? :sly:
I like this idea.

Like I've said before this car is probably a tech preview. Whether it'll be the BP23, the P15 or some other future Super or Ultimate Series I'm sure we'll soon see at least the hybrid drivetrain in a real car. I think McLaren has said about future models possibly having front electric motors.

Last edited:
Yep, a super aggressive "LMP1WithoutRules" track machine is what one would expect from McLaren, hopefully it'll be in about the same speed league as the Chaparral 2X. It's odd seeing how all of the manufacturers interpret Vision Gran Turismo, so let's review: Mercedes actually made a Gran Turismo or Grand Touring car (which looks better than their AMG GT) and a racing version
Mitsubishi stuck a wing onto their XR-PHEV concept and called it a day because they couldn't afford to design something new
Bertone had an utterly beautiful machine drawn up and then they went bankrupt :(:(:(
Volkswagen made a... Grand Touring Golf? Yes, a Golf with a crazy widebody and supercar power levels!
Nissan say their Vector M12/Fighter Jet/Shark is pretty much the R36 GT-R, which if true is nuts! Time will see what compromises they make.
Aston Martin made a lovely, original Grand Touring car with probably too much power for you on the road and racing slicks :confused:
Subaru made a very chunky, very Subaru thing, which I can't figure out what it is. Versatile I guess, like a Subaru.
Chaparral came out of nowhere and, because innovations they pioneered like movable aerodynamics and sucker cars are old hat now, they made a car propelled by lasers, because
Alpine gave us a very interesting lightweight monoposto in touring and racing versions
Lexus made a racing Lexus with a shiny rainbow swoosh and ridiculously tight wheelarches
Dodge made the world's fastest road car, with a much faster racing version and an insane X model presumably just so they could have the fastest car in the game. If anyone one-ups them with a 3000bhp 600kg WipEout craft on wheels I'll die laughing.
Hyundai made an LMP to compete with Mazda (like how all of their compact cars are competing with Mazda)
and now McLaren has a LMP-shaped but Chaparral-fast (and Chaparral driving position) track eater.

So that makes 4 road or road-ish Grand Touring cars, 6-ish bodykits, some LMP things... I lost count, whatever, analyse it yourselves, it's mostly opinion.
The italian design houses, shoe manufacturers and Daihatsu will be very interesting to see, let's hope they don't drop out.

You forgot Pininfarina's Fittipaldi EF7 which is the purest and most logical from them all and were build in limited numbers available to purchase. The perfect VGT imo. It has the vision of racing driver of fun and exciting track day machine.

It looks like they designed everything ahead of the steering wheel with VR in mind, no pillars / visibility of suspension, wheels, apex etc, and then made the driving position so unique that no-one playing in VR with a rig will recreate.

Lesson one in immersion, put the "in game" body in the same position as the player, so that they see the feet / fingertips move in peripheral vision, reinforcing the belief that the player is in a real space.

What a missed opportunity.

It looks like they designed everything ahead of the steering wheel with VR in mind, no pillars / visibility of suspension, wheels, apex etc, and then made the driving position so unique that no-one playing in VR with a rig will recreate.

I dunno. I'd like to think that someone out there with a VR headset, will try and concoct a homemade rig that apes the driving position. It's entirely possible.

Couldn't agree more with the point you make about immersion. 👍

I myself had an idea well over a decade ago (it's probably been done by now) about driving game immersion. It involves a bank of small but powerful high speed fans, that sit above the TV/monitor, or somewhere inline with the players face. The fans would be linked to the players input on screen by some clever in-game coding (the coding would have to be super slick to minimise any sense of latency between the peripheral and initial input). Player accelerates = fans speed up and so forth. I believe it would create a real 'Wind in the hair' kind of experience (especially if the car you're using is open top). Obviously there's a few issues.. like the coding for a start, the power and of course the noise of the fans themselves but imagine it hooked up to some kind of variable heat source/or air-con as well. :lol: I know it's a bit far fetched and sounds expensive but I think it would be pretty immersive. I wonder if anybody has done it already. 💡

[EDIT]

I'd just like to make a point to those concerned, with the driving position of McLarens VGT in regards to the pilots neck. It looks as though (in the vid) there's some kind of restraint/constraint attached to the drivers helmet. Maybe this helps support the head and neck. Personally, even if it didn't, I can't see how people say they'd get neck ache from that position. If that's the case, do we see riders competing in Moto GP complaining about such issues? As it's a similar neck/head position. Most of the time when I'm on my laptop, I lay on my front, on the floor and can quite happily type away with no neck ache. I think people underestimate/misunderstand how strong the neck actually is.

Last edited:
I dunno. I'd like to think that someone out there with a VR headset, will try and concoct a homemade rig that apes the driving position. It's entirely possible.

I myself had an idea well over a decade ago (it's probably been done by now) about driving game immersion. It involves a bank of small but powerful high speed fans, that sit above the TV/monitor, or somewhere inline with the players face. The fans would be linked to the players input on screen by some clever in-game coding (the coding would have to be super slick to minimise any sense of latency between the peripheral and initial input). Player accelerates = fans speed up and so forth. I believe it would create a real 'Wind in the hair' kind of experience (especially if the car you're using is open top). Obviously there's a few issues.. like the coding for a start, the power and of course the noise of the fans themselves but image it hooked up to some kind of variable heat source/or air-con as well. :lol: I know it's a bit far fetched and sounds expensive but I think it would be pretty immersive. I wonder if anybody has done it already. 💡

I remember putting a line of PC fans across the top of my monitor years ago, for sessions on Lotus Turbo Challenge!

I may try a larger fan, just on a constant low level, for my next Dirt VR session - at the very least it will keep me cool*.

(* = The irony being, sat in a racing rig in VR with a fan in my front room, is anything but :lol:)

Yep, a super aggressive "LMP1WithoutRules" track machine is what one would expect from McLaren, hopefully it'll be in about the same speed league as the Chaparral 2X. It's odd seeing how all of the manufacturers interpret Vision Gran Turismo, so let's review: Mercedes actually made a Gran Turismo or Grand Touring car (which looks better than their AMG GT) and a racing version

The italian design houses, shoe manufacturers and Daihatsu will be very interesting to see, let's hope they don't drop out.

Hey and don't forget this:
zagato-isorivolta-vision-gran-turismo-concept-2017-grand-basel_100621684_h.jpg

The "Zagato Iso Rivolta Vision GT", only partially revealed, and with the idea of resurrecting the "Iso Rivolta" name.

Basically the McLaren Vision car came out of nowhere, but was really exciting.

There could be more brands, but the remaining core brands of the Vision project are:
Air Jordan
Audi
Daihatsu
Ford
GM Design
Italdesign
Lamborghini
Nike
and lastly, Tesla.

I remember putting a line of PC fans across the top of my monitor years ago, for sessions on Lotus Turbo Challenge!

I may try a larger fan, just on a constant low level, for my next Dirt VR session - at the very least it will keep me cool*.

(* = The irony being, sat in a racing rig in VR with a fan in my front room, is anything but :lol:)
Drat! You beat me to it! :lol: And who cares about looking cool when you're totally immersed. :lol:

I love this!!! looks so damn cool

Wouldn't it be cool if we could create our own VGT's in a GT game it would be difficult to pull off but i bet it would be a lot of fun

I myself had an idea well over a decade ago (it's probably been done by now) about driving game immersion. It involves a bank of small but powerful high speed fans, that sit above the TV/monitor, or somewhere inline with the players face. The fans would be linked to the players input on screen by some clever in-game coding (the coding would have to be super slick to minimise any sense of latency between the peripheral and initial input). Player accelerates = fans speed up and so forth. I believe it would create a real 'Wind in the hair' kind of experience (especially if the car you're using is open top). Obviously there's a few issues.. like the coding for a start, the power and of course the noise of the fans themselves but imagine it hooked up to some kind of variable heat source/or air-con as well. :lol: I know it's a bit far fetched and sounds expensive but I think it would be pretty immersive. I wonder if anybody has done it already. 💡

[EDIT]

I'd just like to make a point to those concerned, with the driving position of McLarens VGT in regards to the pilots neck. It looks as though (in the vid) there's some kind of restraint/constraint attached to the drivers helmet. Maybe this helps support the head and neck. Personally, even if it didn't, I can't see how people say they'd get neck ache from that position. If that's the case, do we see riders competing in Moto GP complaining about such issues? As it's a similar neck/head position. Most of the time when I'm on my laptop, I lay on my front, on the floor and can quite happily type away with no neck ache. I think people underestimate/misunderstand how strong the neck actually is.

Only way to find out if the seating position principal works is to have a look at direct cockpit cam. McLaren have a reason why they did this and if the result isn't satisfying they would back to drawing board and do changes. And knowing McLaren have attention to details I'm pretty sure the whole ergonomics aspect is already considered on design process.

Drat! You beat me to it! :lol: And who cares about looking cool when you're totally immersed. :lol:

After a recent enjoyable Batman VR session, where I had been joyfully throwing batarangs from the front of my utility belt, I took off my headset to see my family asking what I was doing - as they thought it hilarious that Dad was stood in the corner, in VR, repeatedly pointing move controllers at his crotch... :lol:

You forgot Pininfarina's Fittipaldi EF7 which is the purest and most logical from them all and were build in limited numbers available to purchase. The perfect VGT imo. It has the vision of racing driver of fun and exciting track day machine.

Hey and don't forget this:
View attachment 674162
The "Zagato Iso Rivolta Vision GT", only partially revealed, and with the idea of resurrecting the "Iso Rivolta" name.
Ooh! First I'd seen of these two, the Fittipaldi looks great and I'm excited for the return of Iso Rivolta, I must've been under that rock for quite a while... At least I haven't missed the Daihatsu reveal, Midget III here we come!

Hm, I like it from the side and back but the rest nah... I can't say that I like that the driver lies on the stomach and drives.. It can't be good in the long lap...
But I will test it when it comes to GTS

Back