McLaren's New Ultimate Vision Gran Turismo Car Revealed

• Thread starter Marky264
  • 142 comments
The aim of the VGT programme is to show off a manufacturer, if the public can't see any visual link with what they can buy in the showroom today then what's the point? How does it differ then from the made up cars you see in GTA for example? This goes against the whole point of design language, your in essence showing a concept without branding attached, its just pure fantasy.

Also the fact that PD are probably wasting 6 months modelling each of these cars when they could be doing a production car is pretty annoying.
Not a fact. I could say the same thing for normal cars.
"Ahh i don't like Ferrari. What a waiste of time to model them"

Some people like VGT cars and some not
Only because you don't like them doesen't mean it's a waiste of time

OK, then I'll rephrase, I think it's a waste of time, especially if it looks nothing like the brand it is trying to portray. They could do a VGT only spin off game and have the development separate.

OK, then I'll rephrase, I think it's a waste of time, especially if it looks nothing like the brand it is trying to portray. They could do a VGT only spin off game and have the development separate.
But It's designed from the brand so blame McLaren for the design

“I created the Vision Gran Turismo project to give car manufacturers the opportunity to design something that has all of the characteristics of their brand, and will live on as a playable vehicle in Gran Turismo"

That's actually a pretty cool idea, make the tracks a bit more 'future' and crazy (but not trackmania crazy), and that would make a decent spin-off videogame!

Gran Turismo FutureSport

:)

But It's designed from the brand so blame McLaren for the design

“I created the Vision Gran Turismo project to give car manufacturers the opportunity to design something that has all of the characteristics of their brand, and will live on as a playable vehicle in Gran Turismo"

I am blaming McLaren, its a poor effort IMO. Some have done it right and some have done it wrong!

The aim of the VGT programme is to show off a manufacturer, if the public can't see any visual link with what they can buy in the showroom today then what's the point? How does it differ then from the made up cars you see in GTA for example? This goes against the whole point of design language, your in essence showing a concept without branding attached, its just pure fantasy.

I kind of agree with what you're saying but I think the manufacturer in question (McLaren), doesn't have much of an established design language to begin with. If anything, I'd class their design language as being technically influenced/innovated, rather than carried over styling cues. When you look at their previous models, there's hardly any design language carried across, well, apart from the logo inspired headlight design. Especially when you start comparing the latter designs with their first road car, the McLaren F1.

I quite like this VGT. The seating position reminds me of a couple of sketches I did about 8 years ago (pretty much the same thing).

6144713913_fbc1220ba8_z.jpg

6147574519_42eb67617b_z.jpg

6147578483_90e874aa77_b.jpg

I look forward to driving something I tried to design, myself, in the game. :D

Last edited:
I thought PD doesn't directly make these vision GT's, they're from the manufacturers?

True. Just once again, disgruntled people using that same tired old line just because they didn't get their precious Supercar that feel entitled to get (Never mind the fact these are already completed models that PD simply just takes in makes them work in the game as opposed to building a whole new model for a real car).

We've got enough VGTs in the Gr.1 , now all i want them to do is to bring the 919 Hybrid and the Ginneta LMP1

I'm not confident in this becoming a reality, let alone in a game given the lack of updates on progress.

True. Just once again, disgruntled people using that same tired old line just because they didn't get their precious Supercar that feel entitled to get (Never mind the fact these are already completed models that PD simply just takes in makes them work in the game as opposed to building a whole new model for a real car).

I'm not confident in this becoming a reality, let alone in a game given the lack of updates on progress.
Suggest you check out their twitter. The car rolls out in a month or two after being in the Williams F1 windtunnel for quite some time.

On topic, this McLaren is nice. It's unique and it looks good imo. VGT's are always a polarizing topic. I don't really agree with the comments of 'we could have had this instead' or 'they wasted their time'. McLaren wanted to make this or else they wouldn't have "wasted their time" on it. The fact that manufacturer's sign up to put these concepts in GT is good news. That means they have a relationship with GT and we'll see their 'real' cars in the game. It's not like we can't have this and their other models. The car list isn't even final, and then you have dlc being promised. So I say lets see what McLaren has on offer in GTS before saying they should have done McLaren X or Z.

Imagine most of all vision GT car is announced to production to be drive able in the future. I want to see happen soon.
Well, they could at least build a full size model if not a runner. But they could feasibly build a runner of this one.

Yeah , i'm not confident either , but if Project Cars can have modern Ginnetas , why not GT Sport ?

And besides , considering how each brand is composed in GT Sport (1-2 road cars , racing versions of these cars and 1 LMP1/Hypercar) , Ginneta's line-up fits perfectly .They've got the Ginneta G50 , which is the base for the Ginneta G50 GT3 and GT4 , plus their LMP1 car.

All I'm thinking is that they could've modelled the P1 GTR instead of wasting their time with this...
Its PD i'm sure if you ask KAZ what a P1 GTR is.. He'll give you a blank look???
It looks and sounds amaaaaaazing! My favorite Mclaren is the F1. But this VGT is really, really close to it. Maybe on paar with it!

I'm really happy this VGT program exists!
So a fake fantasy car that well never see the light of day in real life is close to a real life car :crazy: If that's the case then i'll take this over a p1 gtr

Last edited:
Yeah , i'm not confident either , but if Project Cars can have modern Ginnetas , why not GT Sport ?

Its not so much Ginetta not appearing at all, its that LMP1 at the moment is kinda on shaky ground (Hence my doubts).

(Never mind the fact these are already completed models that PD simply just takes in makes them work in the game as opposed to building a whole new model for a real car).
You're delusional if you think this is even remotely true. No you can't take the CAD models that car manufacturers use internally and quickly turn them into videogame-ready models. (Otherwise they would just do that for every modern car and we could have hundreds of cars in an instant)

They only use the manufacturers CAD models for reference and to better understand the design of the car. But it still takes 6 months to model every single car:

"In recent years, CAD data of actual cars are often provided to Gran Turismo thanks to our strong partnerships with automotive manufacturers and as a consequence, the time to understand the design of the car has been drastically reduced. The same cannot be said for the development time: a model will still take 6 months to create, and that is because the time and costs saved in the research phase are re-distributed into modelling to further improve the quality of the final product."

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/cars/

You're delusional if you think this is even remotely true. No you can't take the CAD models that car manufacturers use internally and quickly turn them into videogame-ready models. (Otherwise they would just do that for every modern car and we could have hundreds of cars in an instant)

They only use the manufacturers CAD models for reference and to better understand the design of the car. But it still takes 6 months to model every single car:

"In recent years, CAD data of actual cars are often provided to Gran Turismo thanks to our strong partnerships with automotive manufacturers and as a consequence, the time to understand the design of the car has been drastically reduced. The same cannot be said for the development time: a model will still take 6 months to create, and that is because the time and costs saved in the research phase are re-distributed into modelling to further improve the quality of the final product."

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/cars/

Where exactly am I saying they are "Quickly" doing that? I've given no measure of time for those themselves, I was saying I found this "waste of time" nonsense to be silly and assumed that these are already made specifically for VGT are sent to PD. Maybe cad was the wrong term, but point is I doubt it takes the same amount of time to model a car that doesn't even exist that it takes to model an actual existing one. No need for the "Delusional" label.

Top Gear give slight review on McLaren VGT and give a possible hint to limited edition McLaren on planning :

"Are we actually looking at a slightly exaggerated version of the BP23 hypercar, the hybrid three-seater super-GT that McLaren will build just 106 of? Looking at the images of this newcomer next to the sketch of the BP23, there’s a lot of similarity in the slim, low-down taillights, the teardrop profile and the diffuser shape."

Also, there is more :

"Another fantasy innovation that F1 likely won’t be allowing next season is ‘Integrated Active Aero’, which generates downforce by independently opening and closing tiny inlets on multiple surfaces to generate tailored downforce across the car during different corners."

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/gaming/its-mclarens-ultimate-gran-turismo-racecar

Curious to see how that aero works though. Is it something like what we already we had on another VGT or is it different?

Top Gear give slight review on McLaren VGT and give a possible hint to limited edition McLaren on planning :

"Are we actually looking at a slightly exaggerated version of the BP23 hypercar, the hybrid three-seater super-GT that McLaren will build just 106 of? Looking at the images of this newcomer next to the sketch of the BP23, there’s a lot of similarity in the slim, low-down taillights, the teardrop profile and the diffuser shape."

Interesting, so maybe this is more of a preview.

Also, there is more :

"Another fantasy innovation that F1 likely won’t be allowing next season is ‘Integrated Active Aero’, which generates downforce by independently opening and closing tiny inlets on multiple surfaces to generate tailored downforce across the car during different corners."

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/gaming/its-mclarens-ultimate-gran-turismo-racecar

Curious to see how that aero works though. Is it something like what we already we had on another VGT or is it different?

I'm thinking its basically what you see on the Pagani Huayra and on the new Mercedes PROJECT ONE.

Back