Midnight Club LA

• Thread starter P1
  • 918 comments
I may actually pass this up, or play it later on down the road. :indiff: LBP is only 3 days away, and that'll just keep me busy until GOW2 which will then just become a tag team match between the 2.

I bought the game yesterday. I thought the cruising was really good and the handling of the cars with G25 seemed pretty good. Not GT5 realistic or PC-sim realistic, but realistic enough to be very enjoyable. I love driving fast on the freeway in heavy traffic weaving left and right. It's a LOT better than Test Drive Unlimited.

So would you say its worth it to someone who always wanted to own TDU but didnt have a 360? (that person being me!)... Im looking for something thats similar to it seeing as TDU2 seems to never be coming, so in this can you buy houses and stuff? are there car dealerships?

Robin

well I did decide to pick it up today. I haven't played it yet but will as soon as I get off the flippin bus. I will give my thoughts then.

So would you say its worth it to someone who always wanted to own TDU but didnt have a 360? (that person being me!)... Im looking for something thats similar to it seeing as TDU2 seems to never be coming, so in this can you buy houses and stuff? are there car dealerships?

Robin

I don't think there's any houses. I believe there is only 1 car dealership (and they sell all the cars).

I have TDU for 360, and I didn't enjoy too much because it didn't have enough traffic in my opinion and I don't have a wheel for 360 either.

This game, while still arcadey, has day and night, good cruising and decent selection of cars (although not as much as TDU or previous midnight club).

It worked by default when I first launched up the game without going into any options. I then went into options and instead of using "Racing Wheel" i selected "custom racing wheel" and edited some of the buttons.

i bought it, its pretty good, how far are you guys? I just want to drive around the city and tune up the cars, and the races are damn difficult for me! Can someone post a gamesave if they've gotten pretty far? :D

Thanks alot! haha

Very strange here. I cant get the G25 to work. I have the PAL Version of the game..maybe its that.

Sil

Mine is the NTSC version, so maybe something is different about the PAL version. Hopefully they will fix the issue in a patch very soon for you. :ill:

This game is bomb! It´s just fun cruising around and customizing is awesome.
I like the races, too especially on the highway, feels like here in good old Germany :D
Screw the cops though!!! Anybody know how to evade them or not getting chased by them at all?
👍

Very strange here. I cant get the G25 to work. I have the PAL Version of the game..maybe its that.

Works fine with me,supporting clutch,tough you can change gears without pressing clutch.
Best 'city cruising' so far.Starts to feel 'real''. :)

I lost cops with my tuned sx240,just by driving 'fast and furious'.

Last edited:
Well I got this game yesterday and traded it in today, Now I liked the graphics, I even liked the arcade handling and the tuning options, the lack of cars didn't put me off either, but the difficulty did. I had read it was hard but boy were they under estimating or what. ridiculous isn't the word. The learning curve goes up after the first three really super easy races, then all of a sudden the guys are off and taking shortcuts that unless you either live in LA (assuming its exact) or unless you have played it for hours to learn the city like the back of your hand you haven't got a chance, so unless I really sucked at this game (which given my track record with games is a great possibility) or that it really is very hard then I could waste another second trying so I traded it and got Dead Space and far Cry 2 instead.

Last edited:
What? I did like 30 different races so far and it didn't get any more difficult , those AI are good, but not really fast... and me's the only one taking shortcuts ?
I only have trouble with the cops ( no wonder with my driving style lol ) and the series at that chinese restaurant , which seems really difficult ... my guess is you need a fully tuned car for it. 👍

Wow, You really haven't played the other games. Midnight Club's best feature is that no tow races are ever the same when it comes to the A.I. They take different routes all the time. Race Restarts are as common as a cold. No one is going to just know the city right away, or its many short cuts. I dont think you should have given up so soon. Its the forth and best or the series minus the smaller car list. I have not gotten far but its not a easy series. You just did not spend enough time with it. Have you tried it online? If you read it was hard why didn't you rent it?

Its a game of trial and error and many race restarts. But unlike the other games you get rewarded for just finishing races. They got rid of the all or nothing gameplay of the other games. i really like all the new features. i never really played the first game but this is the best one i've played.

About out running the cops i did my first try and got two trophies in the untuned starter car.

I dont really know but i was just cutting through alleys and driving in on coming traffic, the cops will run into other cars unlike the need for speed Carbon Pro race driving cops.

ok thanks i'll try that... my 240 Nissan is probably too slow to outpace the cops... yet :)

*edit*... I have uploaded my pics to Rockstars.com and linked my account... and nothing appears:confused:

Anybody tried that ? My guess I have to do upload again. Maybe it works now, very dump it didnt work already...:dunce:

Last edited:
It takes some time to sync aparently, I find just booting it down the highway is a good anti-cop technique, just get the jump on them then go as fast as to maximise the distance between you and them. I've been arrested twice, once was my friend messing up bad, second time i damaged out way out of sight of the cops and they managed to magically bust me some how (they were looking for me).

I now have the power to just go straight anyway, bit of spray maybe to help. I'm mainly using a Camaro fully upgraded (the 69 one), that is until I can fully upgrade my RX7 which is waiting for the jump up. I have the money just need the unlock.

I prefer this to the old Midnight Club, physics are much better, graphics are great, the difficulty feels a little dialed down this time, for an ex MC3a-holic this one feels quite easy in comparison, mainly on the highways where you can now actually fit inbetween traffic properly without having to be on a dead straight section.

From the sounds of it this game isn't too bad, when I saw the trailers it looked very Test Drive Unlimited like which is a good thing for me. Maybe I'll move this up my rental priority list. :)

Heres a snipet of a badly spelled review I did for my forum....no namees no pack drill LOL.....got the game yesterday from asda for £32.......think TDU, burnout paradise and need for speed most wanted with good handeling silky smooth frame rate and excellent graphics! 8.9 / 10 heres the part of the review with relervant bits in sorry paragraphs not line breaks......I'm odd that way LOL

OK well got sucked in and put quite a few hours in last night won a camaro SS muscle car in a pink slip race and eventualy maxed out the datsun LOLI was hitting my limit or rather the limit of the cars I had in single player so I jumped online for my final half hour some time around 3am.......yeah sucked in LOL
So online, well it's huge! I just hit the freerun mode for a short while last night to find TDU style open map with a few guys online, you could start impromptude races with whoever or all of them (upto 16) using the tracks and game modes already there or make your own! I ended up mucking around doing distance jumps with a load of french guys who were on bikes. Coms were good (apart from they were in french for some reason?) and I didn't see any lag!
So anyway if anyone played need for speed most wanted.......It's adsactly like that in single player but with a silky smooth frame rate and much better graphics! also the car handeling is very good, probubley the most realistic "arcade" racer out there. under steer, over steer, power slides, lift of over steer, it's all there but all easy to control. Good sense of speed, 160mph through trafic really feels on the raged edge! Theres a good day night progression and also weather, racing down a water loged road is quite spectacular at night with all the car headlights. So the cars, well theres a big difference in the handleing of each car which is good to see and a nice damage system by which you can wreck your car in a race to the point that it's race over!
On the down side.......well hit a lampost or tree at speed you'll take the damage your car will "glance" off it but the offending item still stands! there are things libus shelters ect ect which do smash but hit a road sighn and physics are bent, not the sighn! Other things are the in car view......dosn't quite feel right theres a kind of "car turns around centeral axis" feel which is not evident in any other view. Difficulty.......it's dificult not a critisism rather an observation LOL. and thats it really!
Ok stuff I've missed, vinyl editor, it's there and looks fairly extensive but not played with it yet. The photo mode.....you can pause AKA Forza and take a picture then upload it to the MC website.....not done that yet either. Online "battle" modes capture the flag with cars accross a whole city anyone? customiseation....theres LOTS down to adding new dials in the car and what colour carpets you want.........yeah then take it online and show it off, talking of which theres a "rate my ride" bit where people can vote on your car and even buy it if they really like it......that part should be really quite good giving you in game cash rewards for making top desighns So overall? good game....8.9 on the rictor scale from me as I'm not a huge fan of arcade racers but this one is very good sit down for 15 mins quick blast or a 12 hour marathon session it provides fun whatever you want.

I looked at uploading pics you need to then sighn onto the rockstar forum then link your gamertag with it, instructions are on the website and in game, I'll go try now

Nope your right it's not linking with your PSN ID although it says it is.....we'll await a fix on that one LOL Anyway direct from my mobile phone heres one I made earlier!

280z.jpg

Pre wideboy body kit

Quick update on 2 things,
1. IGN noted in there review on 2 things, one was the fact you could never beat oponents of the start.....this is wrong, hold your handbrake on at the start and give it loads of gas, release the handbrake just before the go signal! another thing they mentioned was the "bad ruber banding" now whilst some oponents can hold onto you through thick and thin if you outclass an oponent you'll leave them far behind with no ruber anding catchup to be seen.
2. Police.......try not to simply outrun them, what you need to do is brake there line of sight oviously you can do this by flying off into the distance at high speed, but a much easier way is to simply turn off down a side street then turn off again befor they see you, much simpler and quicker getting them in heavy trafic also helps as they will muck up LOL

Last edited:
Thanks Hereward, that's what I wanted to know, nice pic! ( well without those tv stripes ) :cheers:

Im slightly annoyed though about all those flawed super-duper online services *sigh* would it really have been so hard to just save the photos in my ps3 picture folder?
Rockstar -1 👎

Last edited:
Thanks Hereward, that's what I wanted to know, nice pic! ( well without those tv stripes ) :cheers:

Im slightly annoyed though about all those flawed super-duper online services *sigh* would it really have been so hard to just save the photos in my ps3 picture folder?
Rockstar -1 👎

*EDIT* Oh cos of the cops, it's not a problem to lose their sight, just if I do one second later im surrounded by 10 copcars appearing out of nowhere ( i.e. beaming ) LOL I think they just don't like me:crazy:

Last edited:
No, but the customization looks better( more real ) in MidnightClub imo :)

Ah ok, thanks. This game just doesn't seems as good as Midnight Club 3 though, I mean the car list seems much smaller and not as diverse and I keep reading how insanely hard the game gets. I want to get it but I'm afraid I won't like it. Here's to hoping they release more car packs.

Yeah, well Im pretty sure there will be DLC...
As for being hard, not sure but it doesn't seem to be harder than MC3DUB, just more immersive... and the game is huge, so many things to do! 👍

Latest Posts

Back