Midnight Club LA

• Thread starter P1
  • 918 comments
I'm getting this for Christmas and was also wondering about customisation. What sort of customisation is there on this game? I remember MC3 had good customisation. Is it like that?

Customization....of the top of my head this so I may miss bits!

Front bumper
Front lights
Bonet
Side skirts
Doors
Side exhausts (dependant on car)
rear bumper
rear lights
spoiler

Multiple choices for each bumpers include complete rear and front rework

Wheels
Many many styles
rim size
tire size
axle hight
wheel width
then 3 colour options
center
inner rim
outer rim

under car neons
window tints

wide body kit

Interior.....
Seats
steering wheel
extra dials
in car neons
colours for everything listed above plus door panels carpets and dash.....

Ontop of that theres the vinyls, you can chose ready made ones or desighn your own from scratch. Theres also a spray shop which basicly has thousands of posible variations!

The car tuning is the usual 3-4 stages of tuning on the usual stuff from headers and exhausts to suspension sway bars and tyres.

I had another little blast today online think we had about 12 of us free running around the city with a few races being thrown in. people are prety attached to there creations and try and avoid denting them (me included) between races people tend to run up at the side of you and check your car out....think this is where the "rate my ride" thing comes in? also online theres an option to see down loadable content.....expect car packs to hit soon LOL

Oh and a word of caution......
Theres a race series run from the roof of a garage o the strip, they run 2 types of races wager races and pink slip races 1 on 1 race format. the wager races are a good way to earn cash quick or lose it quick, I wiped out 5k in 2 races and then decided I could beat the guy.....so pink slip race camaro SS muscle car V's his RX8 tuner.......I lost.....so empty account and left with my original car in the garage...........if your losing walk away LOL.........But I will have my revenge LOL

Quick note on the arcadey stuff.....you can have a "special" mod like for inctence an EMP blast which can knock out your oponents cars electrics for a couple of seconds.....funny stuff but luckily not available online, one thing which is available online and in single player is the ability to drive on 2 wheels.......very odd

Oh and just found a nice camera view for racing, bumper cam......works well try it.

I'm getting this for Christmas and was also wondering about customisation. What sort of customisation is there on this game? I remember MC3 had good customisation. Is it like that?

Yes, pretty much the same.
Look at the picture on the previous page... it just looks better now. :)
You can also rate other cars, let rate your own and sell it online.

*LOL treed by Hereward. Well, there is really lots of stuff for customisation.

**Hehe, I haven´t lost my car,yet... but I saw this coming and made a backup save on USB stick. :scared:

Last edited:
So there is damage in this game? As for playing it, I may rent it. After having games like NFS:PS, Juiced and GRiD turn out to be FAIL I'm a bit weary of getting another wannabe car game especially with a name like Midnight Club.

Well that was quick! The rockstar sight is now working! heres the pic I posted earlier and the same one just zoomed in and lighting changed slightly to pick up some detail. I apologize I took this pic from a replay and just to see how it worked so no david bailey stuff. On a good note the picks are saved in 720p......but obviously I've sized them down to fit on the forum.

wow1.jpg

wow2.jpg

This car now has a wideboy kit and flame vinyls......oh and is in black

Sory second image is a bit jaggy.....me converting it to Jpeg....firs image is true indication of in game.

Yes there is car damage to the extent you can have your race cut short if you have too much and remember this is an arcade racer it's not trying to be a sim although the handeling is very nice and not the usual arcade physics

Last edited:
I'll post a pic up of my wide body Z later.....no SS pics though I was robed I tell ya!
The pic above I just rememberd was actualy taken when I paused the game just after the start of the Focus race (winner over 3 races gets the focus) you can see the focus got a bad start and has lit his tires up LOL

So, there isn't any visual damage?

Yes bumpers front and rear will hang off then fall off, usual scrapes and scratches down the panels, bonnet/hood will buckle up all the windows will smash then fall out.....It's not paradise city style of carnage but it's there and a nice touch. one thing which it also dose is you can chose to repair your car after a race (at the side of the road if you like) rather than going back to the garage, this has an effect visualy also as doors and bonets will be replaced with odd rusty coloured ones LOL oh almost forgot the boot/trunk will also bounce open and close if you damage it.

So what would you say the physics are like? GRiD? NFS?

Hmm more like Grid than NFS a little like the early Gran Turismo games though not quite as good but not far off. Certainly not the usual 2 steps left 2 steps right arcade afair like burnout, you can actualy take bends gradualy to keep the spped from scrubing off by sliding. if you do get in a slide it's very easily controled but push it to far and you'll lose it. I'll state again, it isn't a sim BUT the handleing and physics are more sim based for an arcade racer. it rains or you get off the tarmac theres a reduction in grip, different cars handle differently and stomp on the brakes and turn in you'll understeer, similarily lift of the power mid corner and then stand on the gas the back will come out on the RWD cars. I've even noticed axle tramp on some of the musle cars and tourque steer off the line on some of the bigger engined cars.
There are a number of people playing this with G25's tried that with burnout with laughable results, ie steering on....steering off LOL

Still not working for me. Is it possible that you have to be logged in PSN and that Socialclub website at the same time since that is not a option for me, I certainly wont buy a hub just to download those damn pictures?

As for the handling, its good, its challenging and its better than Grid... and all NFS had different handling, so I dont know.

I really think its pretty realistic, but things like turbo-boost, nitrous and driving on teo wheels is what makes it rather arcadey. 👍

You cant compare it to those other games, actually its much better, those games including ProStreet where just lame and unfinished somehow.

Last edited:
Still not working for me. Is it possible that you have to be logged in PSN and that Socialclub website at the same time since that is not a option for me, I certainly wont buy a hub just to download those damn pictures?

As for the handling, its good, its challenging and its better than Grid... and all NFS had different handling, so I dont know.

I really think its pretty realistic, but things like turbo-boost, nitrous and driving on teo wheels is what makes it rather arcadey. 👍

I just poped on the site and it was working......have you linked your PSN ID to your rockstar social club account? I take it you have. I didn't have the PS3 on I simply opened up the social club page, it auto logged me in and it had automaticaly loged me onto my PSN account too? I didn't need to do a thing it just worked. all my stats were there and my pics, I even looked at the rate my ride bit......hang on!

right try this when you go to the rockstar sight it has the R logo bottom left with a list of all the games on the right including midnight club......IGNORE IT! ABOVE the R you'll just see another list, on it you'll see social club.....click that one! let us know if that works for you

Hmm... I'll just rent it. As for acade label, it's a real cop out these days. Thanks

Not sure what you mean by that but it dosn't pretend to be anything but an arcade racer and theres plenty of people who like the genere, even some of the sim guys like a bit of a blast street racing now and again, can't work out your "it's a real cop out these days" statement, can you explain?

"it's a real cop out these days" statement, can you explain?

Arcade racer genre label is a cop out. It's an easy way to say I'm too lazy to put some effort into a bit of realism. You can still have it be fun, but imo arcades are worthless because they don't have a little realism. Why do you keep hearing about people crying that they can't drift and so they don't buy the game or sell it?

Ex. Juiced, great customization but you know... when you crash, but still catch up with the competition and get first it's a little ridiculous. Like wise if you aren't making any mistakes and going as fast as possible, but you still get passed by everyone at the end like in GRiD it becomes a little ridiculous.

Ah ok, thanks. This game just doesn't seems as good as Midnight Club 3 though, I mean the car list seems much smaller and not as diverse and I keep reading how insanely hard the game gets. I want to get it but I'm afraid I won't like it. Here's to hoping they release more car packs.

Oh I can tell you this is the best in the series. Yeah the car list is short handed but the rest of the game makes up for it. After less than an hour of playing you will be convinced. The All or nothing gameplay of midnight club 2 and 3 is gone. You get rewarded for just finishing races. Its online mode is fun and deep.

I just dont like the fact that there aren't enough buttons on the controllers :) for this game.

Arcade racer genre label is a cop out. It's an easy way to say I'm too lazy to put some effort into a bit of realism. You can still have it be fun, but imo arcades are worthless because they don't have a little realism. Why do you keep hearing about people crying that they can't drift and so they don't buy the game or sell it?

Ex. Juiced, great customization but you know... when you crash, but still catch up with the competition and get first it's a little ridiculous. Like wise if you aren't making any mistakes and going as fast as possible, but you still get passed by everyone at the end like in GRiD it becomes a little ridiculous.

Hmm an odd opinion, it's not a cop out to make a game thats arcade like, it is a cop out if you make a sim and the handeling is arcade like....but this is an arcade racer and there are many fans of genere....dare I say it's one of the best and easily equals the current top dog burnout paradise. If every racing game was a sim then that would really be a shame, theres room for both styles of game in the market and plent of fans of each and in some cases both, I prefare sims but a well presented and put together arcade racer like midnight club gets my vote although I'm not a fan of the previous versions.

Oh I can tell you this is the best in the series. Yeah the car list is short handed but the rest of the game makes up for it. After less than an hour of playing you will be convinced. The All or nothing gameplay of midnight club 2 and 3 is gone. You get rewarded for just finishing races. Its online mode is fun and deep.

I just dont like the fact that there aren't enough buttons on the controllers :) for this game.
Yeah, more buttons! LOL

I mean I get where you coming from about those games ^^ but you cannot compare them with MC, no way... :embarrassed:
I just poped on the site and it was working......have you linked your PSN ID to your rockstar social club account? I take it you have. I didn't have the PS3 on I simply opened up the social club page, it auto logged me in and it had automaticaly loged me onto my PSN account too? I didn't need to do a thing it just worked. all my stats were there and my pics, I even looked at the rate my ride bit......hang on!

right try this when you go to the rockstar sight it has the R logo bottom left with a list of all the games on the right including midnight club......IGNORE IT! ABOVE the R you'll just see another list, on it you'll see social club.....click that one! let us know if that works for you

Yes, sure its linked and everything, still doesnt work. Maybe its not up yet here? Its always explaining me what this and that is and does... but it wont let me see it. :rolleyes:
Well I will try again tomorrow...

PS* it shows my PSN ID but nothing in games, its empty.

Last edited:
I mean I get where you coming from about those games ^^ but you cannot compare them with MC, no way... :embarrassed:

I'm not really going by comparing the games as much as I am comparing how well they executed what they intended to do or be. At the same time the ones I listed are the ones I use since I know how the physic are and it helps me to get a little better idea what to expect in MC:LA. Especially these days with money being a little tight I don't want to be blowing it.

Just rent it and see if you like it.
For me this looks like a game with a lot of potential and I didnt like Grid, Burnout, Juiced, Ferrari Challenge(hope Scaff doesnt see this :scared::sly:),ProStreet at all ... mainly because I felt cheated in a way of wasting my time with.

MC:LA is different story though, let alone the online and race editor seems to be fantastic plus graphics and handling are in depth executed!:drool:
IMO even GT could cut a slice here and there from MC!

Last edited:
I bought the game today and the nice thing is that it works wonderfully with my G25 steering wheel. While the FFB not as strong, the wheel workd much better than it does with GRID. This is my first MC games and I have to say the gameplay is quite enjoyable although the learning curve is steeper than most straightforward racing game. But if you find Burnout Paradise enjoyable then this is up the same alley.

But if you find Burnout Paradise enjoyable then this is up the same alley.

...Or not.
Burnout playtime: 10 minutes, trade it in:crazy:
MC:LA playtime: 10 hours and I cant get enough from it 👍

Sreiously the handling in Burnout and Grid is ridiculous.

Each to there own....Just checked the rockstar site...took a pic of the Z240 as it is now, wideboy kit and maxed out to level 2.....seems to be still working? well heres my pic and hope others get on there soon and show us some of there rides.

wow3.jpg

...Or not.
Burnout playtime: 10 minutes, trade it in:crazy:
MC:LA playtime: 10 hours and I cant get enough from it 👍
Sreiously the handling in Burnout and Grid is ridiculous.

+1 👍

Every day a CRUISING NIGHT at SANTA MONICA YACHT HARBOR CET 21.00-22.00
WEST side of the city,under that big carusel by the sea.Does that sound good.
These cars looks so beautiful when tuned,that we have to show them to someone.
The good thing is that you can change the look of your car easily to a hole different direction(bad taste). :)
Have no idea if even 2 can connect at the same time?

@Hereward...cheap seats :D

Last edited:
@Hereward....cheap seats

Hey I was robbed in a pink slip race LOL

9 hours in and I have 1 car........I can trade it in for 33k mind LOL

Level 2 with all stage 3 tuning parts full body kit 3 stage nitro and emp..........looks cheap but good for 160+mph....see you on the beach!

Last edited:
Just a couple of pics of my RX7 so far, for some reason the quality didn't come through, oh well. I'll sort out some better ones when I'm at home at the weekend. Good for 200mph with full performance modifations, although it's not my quickest vehicle, that would be my DUB Lambo or Ninja ZX14. I'm at about 65% so far with a fair few hours put in.

RX7Highway.jpg

RX7Hollywood.jpg

RX7Rear.jpg

As for difficulty, yes you are often put against unfair opponents, but it's always still possible to win if you have your own car as upgraded as possible, if you're having trouble aim for the yellow or green events first to try to unlock more upgrades which in turn should lower the orange and red events difficulty.

Latest Posts

Back