Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
Last night, I downloaded the demo of "Minecraft Story Mode" on my PS3. I didn't play too much into it, but I can already conclude that this game is not going to make many Minecraft fans real happy or excited after having played mostly the introduction. I said in the past that Minecraft Story Mode to Minecraft could be a good distraction like Forza Horizon to Forza Motorsport. However, this "Minecraft Story Mode" to Minecraft could be like either "Mario is Missing!" or "Mario's Time Machine" to the Super Mario franchise. So put me in the "disappointment" boat in regards to judging "Minecraft Story Mode." I almost feel like maybe Minecraft Steve and/or Minecraft Alex should just tag team together and just pummel this Jesse guy. Him, and maybe all six of the characters, even if just for their poor fashion choice of overalls/dunagrees or suspenders.

I can see the appeal or what is trying to be featured here in "Minecraft Story Mode," but the potential level of success for this deal does not look very good. This could be a major setback in the Minecraft franchise. Let me give you an example. When I first started playing video games, my first Final Fantasy game was "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest." Any other Final Fantasy game I played was different from Mystic Quest. I eventually played Final Fantasy 4 (FF2 here in the USA) and thought that experience was much different from FFMQ. I would later play FF6 (FF3 in the USA)- an all-time classic. The point I'm trying to make here is that if this is the entryway for some people to be exposed to the Minecraft universe, at least try to make a quality game that is going to be vastly enjoyed and maybe want to have some people play proper Minecraft. Going back to my Final Fantasy Mystic Quest example, that game wasn't exactly all-time great material, but it was still a great game being my real entry point to the Final Fantasy realm. I just don't see "Minecraft Story Mode" going too far.

All I am saying here is to not get too hyped up about this "Minecraft Story Mode" deal.

Okay. I had the chance to play through the full demo of Minecraft Story Mode on my PS3. Here are some of my revised thoughts.

I said in the past that this game just isn't going to be anything to get excited about. I didn't, however, say it lacked any sort of fun factor. It is a game that's actually rather fun. One thing I hated was the rather wonky combat system. I did notice a bit in terms of crafting table use with a familiar feel. Rather than have the right analog stick serve like the way to access certain items, I would rather be able to walk up to something and have the option to interact with it instead of having to remember to move around the right analog stick to access certain things. I do like the sort of story aspect to it, but I am not ready to say it is executed in a way that I will enjoy it as much as I would enjoy almost any Minecraft experience.

Part of me wants to believe this Minecraft spinoff is kind of like how you have the LEGO games that are separate adventures within a certain realm. If I wanted a spinoff that makes me look at a game realm in a different way but with an engaging adventure, I'd rather go with one of my favorite RPGs: "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars." "Minecraft Story Mode" just doesn't do it much for me. It is a fairly fun game, but I just don't see it as very fun with influence from the Minecraft realm. You would probably be better off telling the story through casual Minecraft play rather than have this exclusive story.

I went ahead and played Minecraft PS3 Edition. I found out I had to download this update for Minecraft PS3. One thing I noted was a new Tutorial World. It also included a new set of tutorials and blocks. Since I haven't taken on the Survival aspect in a while, I had to somewhat re-learn how to battle enemies.

One of the funny things I noticed was this "Expansion Pack 1" when I noted I got a Trophy for playing Minecraft for 100 days. I then got another Trophy for breeding two cows. So it means I'll have to play Minecraft PS3 again and try to rack up as many Trophies as possible, including the newer Expansion Pack ones. Bad thing is that I'll have to abandon the old Tutorial World I've been on previously and set up the new Tutorial World to play through. I also will have to go on my mission of finding the 12 CDs of C418's music in the newer Tutorial World. I found all 12 CDs in the old Tutorial World, and now I'll have to find those 12 in the new Tutorial World. I am sure that even will include going into The Nether. I remember the nightmares I had trying to navigate through The Nether in the old Tutorial World. Two things I wasn't able to do in the former Tutorial World were collect enough Ender Pearls or find a portal to enter The End. In my previous run, I earned six Ender Pearls in the old Tutorial World. I think you need 12 to enter The End from an End Portal.

As for PC Minecraft, I haven't made too many new models or anything since my last post. I am still envisioning and actively brainstorming mobs I've tried to create. Almost anything I create will mostly be some sort of prototype rather than something full and complete. Going back to the PS3 Minecraft, I even will try to take some inspiration from some of the stuff in that version of Minecraft to make more unique structures.

There are still a number of challenges I have yet to complete in PS3 Minecraft (and even PC Minecraft). I have an idea on some of the ones I haven't done yet, but tasks such as killing a Skeleton from 50 meters or making a seriously long Minecart to go whatever number of blocks or something from the starting area. One task I did try out was trying to recover from starvation using Rotten Flesh. Maybe since I wasn't at a dangerous hunger level, it didn't register for a Trophy.

Methinks it's back to work in PS3 Minecraft...

Made my first Flip-flop Toggle Redstone circuit last night, this is one of the most handy circuits I have ever learned to make, basically it allows you to use a button to open something like an Iron door and the door will stay open until you hit the button again, no more running through a door before it slams shut in your face.

I used the Flip-Flop toggle circuit to power a 5 piston hidden staircase that is revealed in the floor when you press a button, good times.

A few things I forgot to mention was that in Minecraft PS3, I had my first battles against a Witch and a Baby Zombie. I almost died after killing the Witch because I got poisoned. I have very little experience with enchanting or dealing with enchanting. So all I was mostly doing was trying to eat stuff in hopes I can fight off the poison effect. I eventually did and managed to survive. The Baby Zombie can be annoying. Since it is so small, it moves very fast and is as much a scare as a regular Zombie. I almost killed my first Enderman in the new Tutorial World.

In my exploring of this newer Tutorial World in Minecraft PS3, I managed to find now 9 of the 12 C418 CDs. I also found a Nether portal in the huge structure in that world. It reminded me of my Nether nightmares. In further exploration, I found another massive structure. It was another kind of massive mansion or castle. Before that, I found two different Desert Temples and safely got gifts from both of them. One of those Desert Temples had something very cool- Gold Horse Armor. When I went back to the Horse in the tutorial area, it was great dressing up the horsie with that armor. I also found some house that had a big chair made out of wooden fences.

I hope I can eventually find maybe a Jungle Temple (if implemented in this version) and maybe even try to find a Stronghold or something leading to The End. I have NEVER been to The End in any version of Minecraft.

Last night, I found another Mushroom island in the newer Tutorial World in Minecraft PS3. However, I found something MUCH better- yet another unique-looking structure outside of this pirate ship. The pirate ship itself had some nice goodies I picked up. The big structure was mind-blowing with all kinds of unique rooms and goods. I even found a diamond block, mined it, and got me nine diamonds. The one place alone had about 10 diamonds total from what I found. I took five of those who make my Diamond Sword and Diamond Pickaxe. What I intend to do next is return to one cave where I found some Obsidian. And of course, you can't mine Obsidian without a Diamond Pickaxe. I backed out of going further through the cave because I ran out of supplies- especially Torches and a worn-out Iron Pickaxe. I was thankful to have plenty of Dirt and Cobblestone blocks to try to use to find a way to get back on solid earth.

I also found about two more of those C418 CDs from this other structure. So there is only one more CD for me to find. That big structure I recently found had a chest with an End Portal Frame in it. I still haven't been able to find an End Portal in my Minecraft experience. Not sure if I have to find one or build one. I still want to be able to say I've reached The End. I've been to The Nether a number of times, but never The End. Also, I haven't yet gotten an Eye of Ender or killed an Enderman in my newer Tutorial World.

Not to spoil anything, but I was able to access the big "Minecraft" sign up in the sky once in the new Tutorial World. However, there's nothing there when you get up there. From the previous Tutorial World, you could actually access The Nether and get one of the hidden C418 CDs. The big Minecraft sign in this Tutorial World is just a big hunk of colored wool and many torches that has nothing hidden or special.

Those are my latest Minecraft musings. Having fun yet again... excluding when a Creeper blows stuff up behind me while being completely oblivious.

Some people think that Minecraft Story Mode isn't great, but I like it alot. I'm working on getting two different saves. One save I have Petra on my team, now I'm working on getting Gabriel. Oops... spoilers... :)

Some people think that Minecraft Story Mode isn't great, but I like it alot. I'm working on getting two different saves. One save I have Petra on my team, now I'm working on getting Gabriel. Oops... spoilers... :)

I noticed it's 9/10 on steam, can't be that bad. I think I might get this eventually.

I'm making an attempt at building a Bat-door entrance in the side of a hill using Railway and a detector rail, I had it working last night but now the piston that pushes the rail piece back in place (when the door opens) isn't working. Ah the fun of redstone....and the frustration. The weird thing is that the door works properly when a Lever is used to open and close it but when you add the Detector Rail in place of the lever it throws it off.

Last edited:
Took 7 hours to do Episode 1 and 2 twice. Now I got a save with Petra and one with Gabriel. Can't wait for the next Episode!

Last night and for the first time, I found an End portal. It wasn't the first Stronghold I found in my Minecraft experience, but it is the first time I actually found an End Portal. I curiously found it after seeing a YouTube video showing where The End Portal is in the Tutorial World. I was intrigued to try to find this End Portal after seeing a YouTube video showing where it is. Not only was it the first End Portal I've found, it is also my first time battling the Silverfish. Those little buggers can be quite a nuisance! They are almost as annoying as Baby Zombies or Skeletons. You certainly don't want to be ganged up by Silverfish. What is worse is that you want to be careful mining in Strongholds because some of those Stone Bricks can have Silverfish spawn from them. When I have enough Eye of Enders, I very much now know where to find The End portal to enter The End.

Most of my time in that Stronghold now has been to mostly mine for Obsidian and maybe collect some other stuff along the way before trying to return to the surface. I basically picked up Obsidian so I could build my own Nether Portal.

I'm getting LP's up on my channel! It'll take a while since the parts are ~20 minutes each, with the whole episode taking at least an hour.

Two musings I have...

* Of the different regular passive mobs in Minecraft, I've found Cows to be most beneficial. You can get Raw Beef and Leather from them. Cook Raw Beef to get Steak and seriously beat out hunger with Steak. So to any novice Minecrafters, take full advantage of Cows.

* I feel like I have become a bit more experienced at Brewing. I recently built a second Nether portal around where I found The End portal in the Tutorial World. An idea I had was to take a Potion of Fire Resistance into the Nether. Best idea ever. My second Nether Portal took me around a Nether Fortress as I had greater protection from Ghast fireballs and Blaze attacks. So now, I am better considering brewing potions to aid myself in traversing the Minecraft landscape. The most important thing I'd recommend is to go to the Minecraft Wiki and record the recipes and ingredients of certain potions you want to brew. The reason why is because there are so many different potions to create. You then have to find all the different ingredients to build those potions. Be sure to have a Water Bucket and have Cauldrons nearby if you don't have water to prepare for brewing.

One thing I had to remember (or completely forgot) is that you have to begin the brewing process by filling a potion with water. Then, you add everything else from Nether Wart to whatever else you want to spice up potions with. I am also considering crafting certain food items and non-edible items to experiment building various potions.

Also, I was going around last night I saw as many as FOUR Creepers coming at me. I tried to fight them off one at a time, but one Creeper exploded killing the other three. I didn't take any damage. I'm glad I didn't have to get hit. Happy Minecrafting! :)

I have never fought the Ender Dragon or the Wither. However, through Creative Mode in Minecraft PS3 recently, I got a little "practice" on what the Wither can do. I practiced building the Wither while also seeing what he can do. Basically, all he does is just kill off mobs and ruin structures. I put the Wither in a number of my cities, and he'd go straight after any passive mob in sight. The Wither would also damage any sort of structures in sight. He did damage to a number of buildings in some of my Creative worlds in Minecraft PS3. If there were more realistic physics in Minecraft, some of those structures damaged by the Wither would have been collapsed buildings and massive fires. As far as fighting the Wither goes, STAY ON HIM! If you let him go or if you lose track of him, he only gets stronger. You can probably get in some sword hits if you're good enough. One time I set up the Wither, I didn't finish him off... an Iron Golem in one of my cities finished him off!

The key to this is that I played in Creative Mode setting up the Wither. So I am not as experienced with facing the Wither in any mode besides Creative. I still have yet to say I've been to The End or faced the Ender Dragon. It was still pretty scary to fight the Wither, even in Creative Mode.

Trivia question: Estimate how many blocks of andesite I used in the construction of the most recent iteration of Fortress OMAHA (since deleted because of creeper ambush in a nearby ravine and a self-imposed rule on deaths)
NOTE: All walls are three blocks high. All cobblestone in the bottom three pics is where I built my walls.
1zq6nn8.png

2yxpvgn.png

2pqt74o.png

2a5j6td.png

I have never fought the Ender Dragon or the Wither. However, through Creative Mode in Minecraft PS3 recently, I got a little "practice" on what the Wither can do. I practiced building the Wither while also seeing what he can do. Basically, all he does is just kill off mobs and ruin structures. I put the Wither in a number of my cities, and he'd go straight after any passive mob in sight. The Wither would also damage any sort of structures in sight. He did damage to a number of buildings in some of my Creative worlds in Minecraft PS3. If there were more realistic physics in Minecraft, some of those structures damaged by the Wither would have been collapsed buildings and massive fires. As far as fighting the Wither goes, STAY ON HIM! If you let him go or if you lose track of him, he only gets stronger. You can probably get in some sword hits if you're good enough. One time I set up the Wither, I didn't finish him off... an Iron Golem in one of my cities finished him off!

The key to this is that I played in Creative Mode setting up the Wither. So I am not as experienced with facing the Wither in any mode besides Creative. I still have yet to say I've been to The End or faced the Ender Dragon. It was still pretty scary to fight the Wither, even in Creative Mode.
At least it's not the Witherstorm from Story Mode, I would just turn off the game :)

For the first time ever recently, I FINALLY have entered The End, albeit through Creative Mode. I took advantage of using those Eye of Enders to sort of trace the way to where a Stronghold was. I then went ahead and built that portal by putting those Eye of Enders into the End Portals. I ended up getting a little practice on fighting the Ender Dragon. I saw some of the different attack patterns once I got to play around in The End to fight off the Ender Dragon. And in so, I killed the Ender Dragon. I know when I fight it proper, it isn't going to be as easy as it looked. It was still just surreal just what you have to do to take down the Ender Dragon. Just a crazy experience. I know I'm in for a fight when I do face the Ender Dragon for real.

[UPDATE] I forgot to mention this is from my console Minecraft experience.

Last edited:
Does he send fireballs at you now? I heard it was updated since I fought him to be more in line with the console version. When I fought him he was just very bitey, avoided him by digging little boltholes in the ground where he couldn't reach me once he'd clapped eyes on me (though he still bites down through a couple of blocks).

The Ender Dragon does send fireballs at you now and then. They are about as dangerous as the Ghast's fireballs. You also don't have to worry about the ground around you being lit on fire like in The Nether.

I forgot to mention in my previous post I experienced The End in the console version of Minecraft.

Last night, I discovered my first Jungle Temple. I couldn't really find a way in, so I almost basically cheated my way into going inside the temple. I carefully got out things like Gold Ingots and Diamonds from the chests. I noticed the two Tripwire sets as I was exploring the temple. I didn't take any damage from them.

So some time after reaching The End, I now have found a Jungle Temple. I have now visited at least one of every generated structure. Now I have to wonder when console Minecraft will get one of the latest generated structures- Ocean Monuments.

Hey DQ, is the server under maintenance? I couldn't get on for a while.

Kinda. I shut it down because no one was ever on it and it was wasting electricity.

I might start it back up and make a new map when 1.9 releases.

I have become more experienced lately brewing. Brewing potions can be a great help outside of the usual mining and resource collecting. I saved a picture from the Minecraft Wiki showing all of the all of the different brewing recipes. One of the coolest things I realized about brewing is that you only need one of a certain brewing ingredient that can be used for up to three bottles. I also have to remember you need only three glass blocks to craft three bottles. I collected nine Sand blocks to smelt into nine glass blocks, which then became nine Bottles. I also made sure to stock up on Redstone and Glowstone Dust for added power to potions. I have made Cauldrons to store water in, and I am also sure there are nearby water sources so I don't have to travel too far to refill with water. Previously, I had one of my houses in the Tutorial World of console Minecraft with an opening in the roof so that the Cauldrons could refill with rain water; however, I rejected that idea later.

Since one Ghast Tear can be used to make the Potion of Regeneration, I may have to consider making Potions of Regeneration when going into The Nether or in a dangerous underground cave. I may also try to collect Melons to make Glistering Melons to then make Potions of Healing. I already have a lot of Gold Ingots I can use to convert into Golden Nuggets.

So, yeah... I have a greater appreciation for brewing now in Minecraft.

I started further developing my second PC Minecraft Creative world a little more. Unlike with the first PC Minecraft Creative world I made, I found a desert. I started making my first desert town in PC Minecraft. Across a river from the desert land, I found a Savanna biome. I may leave it undeveloped or maybe make a few structures there. The Savanna biome is a rather nice biome in Minecraft. I almost felt like humming some African melody or having "Africa" by Toto playing in my mind going into these Savanna biomes.

I usually make all kinds of musings regarding Minecraft; but if anyone wants to be sold on why to get Minecraft, my suggestion is that you get a chance to take the world around you and make it into your own masterpiece. Take what the heavens have blessed in this universe and make it your own space. Interact with this world and do almost whatever you want within the context of the game. And on the Survival and Adventure fronts, challenge yourself to survive with all kinds of challenges ranging from battling monsters to trying to survive in caves and dungeons. People like to b:censored: about Minecraft graphics and the whole blocky appearance. Heck, as someone who finds beauty in all things, even I think think Minecraft is uniquely beautiful in its visuals and in the gameplay mechanics. There are just too many things in Minecraft that especially appeal to me and why I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to take the plunge into the Minecraft realm. The PC Minecraft experience is where it's at. Even when I'd get my butt handed to when I visited Torinet by our great DQuaN, I still had fun and enjoyed the creativity that Minecraft provides.

So if you need reason to get Minecraft, I at least have provided my insight. You won't be disappointed if reshaping an amazing world or trying to survive in a fun and engaging world is your thing. I was someone who had to settle initially for Minecraft Pocket Edition when my previous PC couldn't play PC Minecraft (and how I haggled a number of GTPlaneteers about it). Then, I took on Console Minecraft for the PS3. Once I got my current PC, I finally got to play and enjoy PC Minecraft. I now have enjoyed the Minecraft experience across three platforms. So I can confidently recommend Minecraft to anyone who wants to know what the whole experience is all about.

Keep mining! Keep crafting! Keep minecrafting! :)

Back