Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
Halloween update is out ^_- and look what I found.

Screen%20shot%202010-10-30%20at%205.37.36%20PM.png

p.s. portals are awesome.

Why do you want gold? lol Its borderline useless :P Which is probably 1 reason why it's hard to find. Diamond is usually between level 10 and 16 . There are 5 layers of bedrock. There are some good youtube videos for "branch mining" which is best for diamond.

The only thing gold is good for is to make golden apples. It takes 72 ingots of gold (8 blocks) and one hard-to-find red apple. Once crafted, it will recover all your hearts when eaten.

So, what's all new with the update? What are those, jack-o-lantern blocks?

Ya HAHA There are carved and un-carved pumpkins. You can mine and keep as well.

Portals to "Nether" aka Hell. Is made of Obsidian. 5x4 rectangle like this. The top and bottom blocks of the "4" count. So stack 3 in between.
_ _ _ _
l l
l l
l l
l l
_ _ _ _

Once youve built it, strike flint+steel at it and the portal will activate. You must stand IN the purple, and wait. If you walk through it, nothing will happen.

And remember, Nether is a different dimension, all movement is 16x what it is on earth. So you take 10 block-steps then make a new portal, go back to earth you will be 160 blocks away from where you first left lol Its pretty crazy.

One of the new recipies is the watch. It's made by putting 4 gold surrounding one redstone, just like a compass. It shows the level of darkness outside so its useful while underground.

Well I wasn't planning on starting a new save with this update, but I fell off a really, really high building and lost everything so I figured why not.

Be careful, the system is bugged now that you don't drop your stuff when you die, so if you have diamond stuff, etc., you lose it forever.

From,
Chris.

Well I will keep that knowledge in my head. Makes me more afraid of my current project because I'm scared of heights. So I'm gonna have to pack light on my working trips.

Opened a slipgate in my main account. The moment I stepped out of the portal, about 8 ghasts turned to look at me. Wow, the Nether's pretty hardcore.

Yes you can continue your old saves. I have read somewhere that that old torches are treated as lanterns and will still burn forever. If you make any new torches they can burn out.

EDIT: This explains everything about our torch woes. So Notch simply ran out of time before the Halloween update and we will get this new update later on.

From what I've been reading though, the Hellgates are bugged too, especially bad on old saves where they were built before the patch. Had tons of reports that the gates spawn people back inside mountains/dungeons/walls/etc. and delete chunks of terrain.

From,
Chris.

Ya. I agree. My world went from 4MBs to .18MBs after I saved. But didnt loose anything.... very weird

I can't even notice the biomes working in my older save, had to start a new one, oh well, the game's most fun when you start a game and struggle to survive anyway, haha.

HAHA agreed. I restarted on Hard. The sounds you hear in Nether are in-freaking-sane. Headphones+dark room= Scary as crap lol

I havn't build a portal yet but watching videos of the ghasts.. I agree, they make some pretty terrifying noises.

Just started playing around with the update, I'll be curious to see about all the changes. I need to find some obsidian though so I can make a portal.

I'll look into it, there's still no enemy mobs in multiplayer or anything (That's looking like beta material), so it'd just be for exploration/building rather than survival.

On another note, these gates are wacky, I built a special gate room and everything, spent some time exploring Hell (Had it on peaceful since it's almost 3 AM), and gathered some red cobblestone to build my gatehouse in the regular world with (Looking at doing a 3D skull design), and ended up on an island over 100 blocks from my current hideout, :lol:

From,
Chris.

The Netherworld is not a nice place to get lost in and I'm thankful that I set it to peaceful. Watch some videos online and now I know it was a good choice to keep peaceful on. Now to figure out what these blocks can do.

EDIT: The gate also just creeps me out. I think I will just remove a block of the gate so it doesn't make that creepy sound.

EDIT2: I just finished my project. I still have a ton of cobblestone in storage so I might as well just expand it. Also used the red blocks from the Nether Realm to light it up. I won't have to worry about torches and it even lights up better.
33elmog.jpg

Last edited:
Looking into the GTP Server deal, the easiest way is just to get Hamachi and get everyone together, I can host and the lag shouldn't be too bad (I've run private NR2003 races which require even less lag than minecraft this way and the were fine), otherwise someone else would have to host as I can't open the ports on my router for a standard IP connection.

From,
Chris.

I don't mind just building together, hope this takes off.

here's some pics of my latest property in minecraft, the uber-treehouse.

treehouse3.jpg

treehouse4.jpg
treehouse7.jpg
treehouse9.jpg

treehouse11.jpg

treehouse13.jpg
treehouse15.jpg
treehouse6.jpg
Treehouse1.jpg

Yep.

Those are some old photos too, I got 3 waterfalls now, and my saplings.. grew, a new jumbo tree for me to build on yaaaay.

It looks so loving ridiculous now.

Yep.

Those are some old photos too, I got 3 waterfalls now, and my saplings.. grew, a new jumbo tree for me to build on yaaaay.

It looks so loving ridiculous now.

Since you're here, what can you make with the 'gold dust' that you mine from 'hell?'

I've been watching a for new videos about the new release features, but that one remains unclear. Also, did the 'lanterns' mean the jack-o-lanterns? If so, that sucks. I don't want them all over the place in my home.

Back