Mini NES

• Thread starter yabiggoose
  • 62 comments
Australia
Melbourne
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-the-mini-nes-will-play-30-classic-g-1783660997

Coming later this year is a miniature NES, 30 preloaded games, HDMI output. RRP of $60USD.

Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

bffacl0uiw5dlicaqxn7.jpg

That's really cool, I'm interested. Good selection of games, but of course in a library of about 700 games to pick from there are many good ones not on the list. I do wish, at least, that Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse made the cut, since the first two did. Maybe I can beat Metroid since I couldn't as a kid.

I've ended up paying probably $60 total for just three of those games on the actual NES. :ill:
I used to have a lot of these actual games as a kid. Sold them years ago for cheap and I regret it all the time, considering how much they are worth these days. I had a gold version of Zelda and Zelda II, both with boxes. :ill:

Zelda II is the most expensive game I own for the NES, bought it for £35 (almost 50 bucks!) from eBay. Keep in mind, that's just the cartridge, no box, manual or anything - it's insane. The original Zelda is usually £60 (which I think is around 80 bucks) for the game alone, with boxed copies going well into 100+.

I had an NES back in about 2007. Retro game collecting wasn't a big thing really then, especially for the NES since it barely sold in the UK back when they were new, so the majority of the games I owned were actually boxed and dirt cheap since no one wanted them. I had some really rare ones, most notably Pac-Man which is about $60 boxed these days. Unfortunately, I was only about 10 or 11 at the time so I didn't have the cash to get too many games, before ultimately selling it.

Oh hell yes. StarTropics is easily one of my favourite games of all time. I would absolutely pick this up for that price.

My grandma has a perfectly functioning original NES that - I kid you not - she's written into her will for me. I'd rather not risk damaging it, especially since most of the titles she owns are in that list (minus Totally Rad :( ).

I can't believe it's taken them so long to put something like this out officially. For years there have been dodgy knock offs running the games from iffy emulators but there was still a strong market for them, for a variety of old consoles.

Just need an official SNES and Megadrive one now.
It's a shame SEGA just license out their consoles to random 3rd party companies now, just about all of them are complete tosh with iffy emulation.

Just need an official SNES and Megadrive one now.
|

I believe there actually is a Mega Drive one, and I don't mean one of those 30-in-1 handhelds either. It's kind of similar in look to a Mega Drive, and does indeed have built-in games (60 off the top of my head), but the big advantage is that there is a cartridge slot for actual Mega Drive games. I believe it is by the same company who pumps out the handhelds, but it is still licenced by Sega. I think they retail for about £60.

It's a shame SEGA just license out their consoles to random 3rd party companies now, just about all of them are complete tosh with iffy emulation.

|

I believe there actually is a Mega Drive one, and I don't mean one of those 30-in-1 handhelds either. It's kind of similar in look to a Mega Drive, and does indeed have built-in games (60 off the top of my head), but the big advantage is that there is a cartridge slot for actual Mega Drive games. I believe it is by the same company who pumps out the handhelds, but it is still licenced by Sega. I think they retail for about £60.

Yeah I remember that now you mention it, officially licensed but still not much better than the knock offs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K2CXNPU/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

Nintendo got the boost they needed. They announced a 40% gain in stock at almost the same time as this announcement. Good move.

For "only" 30 games, that's a rather stellar list. I wonder if the HDMI output is latency-free, because otherwise some people will notice that the games seem more difficult than they remembered. :P

I only have to pay $60 to play the six or seven games on that list that have aged well enough to still be worth playing or aren't already available in a better and much more convenient format? Man, sign me up.

This is awesome. I think the NES pre-dates my gaming experience by a generation, so probably not going to get it myself. But awesome none the less.

Not around at the time of the NES era, but for that price, definitely picking this up. I did play Mario but i forgot which one since it's a long time ago.

I just wish it supported some of external memory so we could load more games onto it.

It's a perfect device for the price, if only Nintendo made the controller USB. Sure there are a lot of people who would kill for an official USB NES Pad.

List of games at today's prices (Source: PriceCharting.com)

Title : Price (Cartridge alone)
Balloon Fight : $23.50
Bubble Bobble : $17.92
Castlevania : $20.74
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest : $11.95
Donkey Kong : $34.26
Donkey Kong Jr. : $20.50
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE : $11.50
Dr. Mario : $5.51
Excitebike : $8.06
FINAL FANTASY : $17.00
Galaga : $12.00
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS : $13.50
GRADIUS : $10.70
Ice Climber : $16.00
Kid Icarus : $19.97
Kirby’s Adventure : $19.99
Mario Bros. : $21.99
MEGA MAN 2 : $27.50
Metroid : $16.00
NINJA GAIDEN : $10.99
PAC-MAN : $8.99
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream : $13.23
StarTropics : $8.00
SUPER C : $18.00
Super Mario Bros. :$7.75
Super Mario Bros. 2 : $19.54
Super Mario Bros. 3 : $15.00
TECMO BOWL : $8.95
The Legend of Zelda : $20.50
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link : $17.72

477.26 worth of games for only $60. That is a steal!

Dan
Will the games have their original glitches? I know some Mario speed runners are going to test it ASAP.

It appears that it will be the Virtual Console versions, so that is doubtful. On the other hand, if they are going to use modernized production techniques to bring classic NES hardware back, it is likely that the emulation is more accurate than the Wii and WiiU versions. (I am basing this on the fact that the console in question has a HDMI port, and the logic that the games would require a bit of work to scale up to HD quality.)

I just wish it supported some of external memory so we could load more games onto it.
I agree, but on the other hand, it is an anti-piracy measure.

It's a perfect device for the price, if only Nintendo made the controller USB. Sure there are a lot of people who would kill for an official USB NES Pad.
Again, I agree, but on the other hand, who doesn't want a cheap NES WiiU pad?

List of games at today's prices (Source: PriceCharting.com)

Title : Price (Cartridge alone)
Balloon Fight : $23.50
Bubble Bobble : $17.92
Castlevania : $20.74
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest : $11.95
Donkey Kong : $34.26
Donkey Kong Jr. : $20.50
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE : $11.50
Dr. Mario : $5.51
Excitebike : $8.06
FINAL FANTASY : $17.00
Galaga : $12.00
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS : $13.50
GRADIUS : $10.70
Ice Climber : $16.00
Kid Icarus : $19.97
Kirby’s Adventure : $19.99
Mario Bros. : $21.99
MEGA MAN 2 : $27.50
Metroid : $16.00
NINJA GAIDEN : $10.99
PAC-MAN : $8.99
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream : $13.23
StarTropics : $8.00
SUPER C : $18.00
Super Mario Bros. :$7.75
Super Mario Bros. 2 : $19.54
Super Mario Bros. 3 : $15.00
TECMO BOWL : $8.95
The Legend of Zelda : $20.50
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link : $17.72

477.26 worth of games for only $60. That is a steal!

It appears that it will be the Virtual Console versions, so that is doubtful. On the other hand, if they are going to use modernized production techniques to bring classic NES hardware back, it is likely that the emulation is more accurate than the Wii and WiiU versions. (I am basing this on the fact that the console in question has a HDMI port, and the logic that the games would require a bit of work to scale up to HD quality.)

I agree, but on the other hand, it is an anti-piracy measure.

Yeah, I'm happy it'll be usable on Wii U for sure. Here's hoping the NX allows us to use it too in some capacity. :D

I wonder if FCE Ultra GX would recognize it like the Classic Controller. If the D-pad is at least as good as the '80s original then it would be a significant improvement on the Wiimote's D-pad.

When I read about the games offered on this Mini NES, I was pretty intrigued. Some titles are those I haven't played before and want to play. Star Tropics is one of them. I also had interest in wanting to try to play through Metroid. If I did, it would be the first time in decades I played Metroid. My previous experiences had me getting killed easily and often in the third world.

But yeah- I am VERY intrigued about this Mini NES. It is surely Christmas gift or birthday gift (granted your birthday is in November or December or whatever) material. This is probably not so much a must-get if you're looking to play your old NES cartridges on it. Some of us still have NES cartridges ourselves and aren't afraid to blow into them to play them again! :) I do kind of wonder, though... could Nintendo actually offer some extra collections of games to play? What if they wanted to revisit special games like Duck Hunt, World Class Track Meet, Gyromite, or games like that? Again- PLENTY of intrigue for this system.

Latest Posts

Back