Mini NES

• Thread starter yabiggoose
  • 62 comments
If this is yet another mere emulator console, what makes it more enticing than the comparatively huge range of titles available for Wii with it's VC option? Personally I'd rather put my money towards an OSSC analogue to digital linedoubler/scanliner to use with a Wii, especially since the Wii can output 240p.

I get that nostalgia may play a huge part in wanting something that looks like an actual NES though.

I am totally hyped for this.

Cannot wait to see my mother's face when I tell her what I want for an early Thanksgiving present. :P

If this is yet another mere emulator console, what makes it more enticing than the comparatively huge range of titles available for Wii with it's VC option? Personally I'd rather put my money towards an OSSC analogue to digital linedoubler/scanliner to use with a Wii, especially since the Wii can output 240p.

I get that nostalgia may play a huge part in wanting something that looks like an actual NES though.
If you were to buy all the games on this through VC it would be absurdly more expensive. That's the way I'm looking at it anyway!

I guess what is most surprising about this Mini NES is the array of games offered. You got games like MegaMan 2, the Castlevania series, Galaga, Tecmo Bowl... maybe my thing is that this isn't all Nintendo-only developers. This isn't a who's who of NES gaming, but you can't complain about many of the games offered for the Mini NES. A lot of the offered games are all-time NES classics to people. So you could almost call this an All-Star package of NES games.

Sorry for getting to your post late, but there is something greatly different going on. It all boils down to price per game.

As I have stated earlier, if you actively seek out the original cartridges, the price for all 30 games (on a Loose, or Cartridge only state) is $477.26 as of the 15th of July, 2016, so that boils down, on average, to $15.91. If you buy them on the Wii U's virtual console, they price at $4.99 a piece, or $149.70 total. On this, however, the games are priced around $2 a piece. While cosmetically, it [the console] is for nostalgia, the controller that it comes with is compatible with the Wii U, which is a plus, and if you break it, you can replace it cheaply as well.

http://www.geek.com/games/nintendo-...-several-display-modes-instant-saves-1665082/

It seems the Classic Mini will be a lot like the Retron 5 in terms of the display options you have available. As well as a standard HD-resolution output, the tiny NES will allow you to simulate the look of the game as you would experience it on a CRT. There will also be a 4:3 mode and a pixel-perfect mode where every pixel is a perfect square. So that’s all 30 games with multiple viewing options available.

Gagnon also commented on game saves. There will be permanent save points within each game, but Nintendo has also added instant temporary saves. That means you’ll be able to stop playing at any point and return later without losing progress. The fact they are instant suggests the save may only last as long as the Classic Mini is powered on, where as the permanent saves are, well, permanent.

Here's an interesting, if expected alternative to the Mini NES...the Mini Famicom:

famicom-mini.jpg

Priced at 5,980 yen, it appears to have all the same features but with a somewhat different selection of 30 games on it, including the Famicom Disk System versions of a few popular NES games. That would mean Metroid has Zelda-style save files, for example, and the games have some different sounds or other effects enabled by the FDS hardware. Not very many of these games are heavy on reading, so importing one is worth considering.

Atlantis no Nazo ("The Mystery of Atlantis")
Balloon Fight
Castlevania (FDS)
Donkey Kong
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai ("Downtown Nekketsu March: Let's Go to the Great Athletic Meet")
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy III
Galaga
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid (FDS)
NES Open Tournament Golf (Mario Open Golf)
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
River City Ransom
Solomon's Key
Super Contra: The Alien Strikes Back
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. USA (SMB2)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tsuppari Oozumou ("Bumping Sumo")
Yie Ar Kung Fu ("One Two Kung Fu")
The Legend of Zelda (FDS)
Zelda II: Link's Adventure (FDS)

Here's an interesting, if expected alternative to the Mini NES...the Mini Famicom:

View attachment 591367

Priced at 5,980 yen, it appears to have all the same features but with a somewhat different selection of 30 games on it, including the Famicom Disk System versions of a few popular NES games. That would mean Metroid has Zelda-style save files, for example, and the games have some different sounds or other effects enabled by the FDS hardware. Not very many of these games are heavy on reading, so importing one is worth considering.

Atlantis no Nazo ("The Mystery of Atlantis")
Balloon Fight
Castlevania (FDS)
Donkey Kong
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai ("Downtown Nekketsu March: Let's Go to the Great Athletic Meet")
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy III
Galaga
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid (FDS)
NES Open Tournament Golf (Mario Open Golf)
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
River City Ransom
Solomon's Key
Super Contra: The Alien Strikes Back
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. USA (SMB2)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tsuppari Oozumou ("Bumping Sumo")
Yie Ar Kung Fu ("One Two Kung Fu")
The Legend of Zelda (FDS)
Zelda II: Link's Adventure (FDS)
That is goddamn beautiful.

Just in time for this awesome little console to hit, these get released as well! http://8bitdo.com. plan on picking up a few of these for gaming parties at the house. LinusTechTips just did a video on them as well and gave them a great review.

Sorry for getting to your post late, but there is something greatly different going on. It all boils down to price per game.

As I have stated earlier, if you actively seek out the original cartridges, the price for all 30 games (on a Loose, or Cartridge only state) is $477.26 as of the 15th of July, 2016, so that boils down, on average, to $15.91. If you buy them on the Wii U's virtual console, they price at $4.99 a piece, or $149.70 total. On this, however, the games are priced around $2 a piece. While cosmetically, it [the console] is for nostalgia, the controller that it comes with is compatible with the Wii U, which is a plus, and if you break it, you can replace it cheaply as well.

Price per game is an interesting point, but what's the real price per game for this thing once you subtract the games you aren't interested in? At the end of the day, you'll be dropping $60 for this thing... so it may not be worth it if you're only interested in a few of the games it comes with. Even if you're interested in half the games, it's already starting to get rather close to VC prices per game.

And considering that you're losing the portability the 3DS provides, being tethered with wired controllers and gaining a new box to clutter your living room with (however small it may be), the slightly higher cost per game of the VC releases might be worth it.

While this is portable and has an HDMI output I would definitely go with the original one because you can get whichever game you wish plus the retro factor.

While this is portable and has an HDMI output I would definitely go with the original one because you can get whichever game you wish plus the retro factor.

How much does an original NES go for now?

Price per game is an interesting point, but what's the real price per game for this thing once you subtract the games you aren't interested in? At the end of the day, you'll be dropping $60 for this thing... so it may not be worth it if you're only interested in a few of the games it comes with. Even if you're interested in half the games, it's already starting to get rather close to VC prices per game.

And considering that you're losing the portability the 3DS provides, being tethered with wired controllers and gaining a new box to clutter your living room with (however small it may be), the slightly higher cost per game of the VC releases might be worth it.
You don't have to be wired. 8bitdo.com had that covered. And will be releasing a wireless dongle that fits a NES or SNES. This dongle works with Xbox, Zone, ps3 and ps4 controllers. As well as most other Bluetooth controllers as well. Pretty slick devices that look pretty good too. Especially the Famicom themed ones.

Dan
How much does an original NES go for now?
depends on quality and kit. A fairly used looking system with two controllers and a couple of games will generally run 50-60. Just seen a very clean "action set" unit, box and styrofoam in good condition, with all the manuals going for 150.

Word has it that Amazon sold out of the NES Classic thing in a short amount of time. So people obviously caught on to this device. It is a bit refreshing that people actually bought into the Mini NES. I'm actually pleased people weren't like, "why would I play old NES games when I could be playing AAA games on my PS4 or XBOX One?" If it were up to me, I'd still want one of these Mini NESes.

I guess this Mini NES thing is catching on. Get one while it's hot.

I love playing old games, but not too interested in the Mini NES. Once the novelty wears off, it and its library of 30 games will undoubtedly be relegated to the closet for many people... I'd rather have the games on a device I'm likely to keep plugged into the TV for years to come.

Word has it that Amazon sold out of the NES Classic thing in a short amount of time. So people obviously caught on to this device. It is a bit refreshing that people actually bought into the Mini NES. I'm actually pleased people weren't like, "why would I play old NES games when I could be playing AAA games on my PS4 or XBOX One?" If it were up to me, I'd still want one of these Mini NESes.

I guess this Mini NES thing is catching on. Get one while it's hot.

It seems Nintendo didn't learn from their Amiibo disasters. I have three GameStop locations within 20 miles of me, I called all of them today and one store got one system in, the two others got three. Same thing with Target and Walmart. Nintendo has, for some reason, shipped extremely small quantities of these systems to stores and as such they sold out very quickly. Now scalpers are selling them for hundreds of dollars, money that would've gone straight to Nintendo if they would've just done a proper launch.

I don't know... I mean, did Nintendo think this thing was going to flop or not have as much supply to meet the demand? It goes to show just how much people become intrigued at such a thing like the Mini NES.

NES Classic Launch: Why Does Nintendo Treat Fans Like This?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11...ch-why-does-nintendo-treat-its-fans-like-this

It's basically Nintendo being Nintendo, they are the kings of being half-assed with things. Also, Why in gods name would you make a wired controller that only has 2.5' cord on it? That's outrageous.

I have 2 original NES consoles, with a ton of games. If I ever feel like playing it, I'll get that out. I think I'll pass on this.

The Mini NES will likely be more of a decorative item in the long run... Most people probably won't leave it hooked up for more than a week, but it's small so it could make a cute decorative addition to a collection of Amiibo figures or something.

It's cute, but at the same time I'd rather showcase a real NES in my collection of gaming paraphernalia than one of these Mini NES things...

Not a lot of love for this little thing on here haha. Like it or not, Nintendo has a hit on their hands. I've heard that there is a big shipment coming over and arriving at stores sometime around December 21st. Combine that with Mario Run and Nintendo is relevant again.

Then the Switch reveal January 12th and then the Switch. I have a feeling this is not all coincidence. If not - well played Nintendo, well played. I can't help it, I'm pulling for them

I wouldn't be surprised if it was discontinued in response to it being cracked open to roms and other emulators, undercutting Virtual Console sales.

I don't blame the individuals who cracked it in the first place, but I saw numerous websites posting articles pretty much explaining the whole deal. Way to go, gaming media.

Latest Posts

Back