Mission 23 - Nissan Skylines

• Thread starter Swift
  • 183 comments
I just did this mission tonight by:
1. Staying in 5th gear
2. Keeping my right wheels close to the outside yellow line
3. Letting the lead car of the pack pass by moving to the outside.
4. Moving back in front of the 2nd car in the pack as it came up.
5. 2nd car in the pack bumps me, speeding me up.
6. I draft past the lead pack car again.
7. Repeat all the above each time the pack catches up

I passed the leader on the entry to the backstraight on the third lap and then stayed on the inside lane (to prevent them drafting me) until the finish. Total time was a low 7'03

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried this a few times with no luck and then I read some of this thread and it definitely helped. The whole draft back and forth and keeping the right front tire on the yellow line did it.
I found staying in 5th gear the whole time was a big help which I tried on my own and now realise someone pointed that out a few posts up, it's good info.

hehe...took me 3 tries. just stay a certain length from the other cars. On the turns, they don't go any faster or speed up whatsoever. that is your chance to get infront of them but stay futhur up. i'm guessing about 5 cars, just far enough so you can see them still. then just try to position yourself so they could draft you. when they get closer get the **** out of the way and let them draft each other, then draft, by that time you should be on at the turn already. then just repeat that process. the last lap you should be near the 1st postion car, just stay closer on the inside until you're in the drafting zone. then position yoruself behind it and draft from there.

I stayed in 5th until the last bend when I caught the draft of the lead car, then changed up to 6th and went low in the turn and stayed in tight so they couldn't slipstream me to the finish line, and won by about 2 - 3 secs.

I remember there was a 10-lap race on the test track in GT3 like this where the only way to stay in front was to keep letting them draft and pass you, and time it to take them back on the finish line. It was a real ***** because you had to set up the final past about a lap and a half ahead and if you got it wrong you'd have to do it all again.

keitherz
uhm im a noob on racing words...
whats slip stream??
The "empty space" behind a car, caused by the airflow leaving a kind of a vacuum behind the car cutting the free air before closing. The air resistance is much smaller in the slipstream as there are less air particles than in free air.

(That was a bad explanation, thanks to my limited vocabulary.)

It enables you to gain speed behind the opposing car and then overtake it more easily, and in real life it can be used to conserve fuel too. In fact, the fuel conserving might work in the game too. :)

Greycap
The "empty space" behind a car, caused by the airflow leaving a kind of a vacuum behind the car cutting the free air before closing. The air resistance is much smaller in the slipstream as there are less air particles than in free air.

(That was a bad explanation, thanks to my limited vocabulary.)

It enables you to gain speed behind the opposing car and then overtake it more easily, and in real life it can be used to conserve fuel too. In fact, the fuel conserving might work in the game too. :)

It does actually. I did a few tests and have come to the conclusion, the fuel consumption gets less in the slipstream than not drafting the car in front

keitherz
uhm im a noob on racing words...
whats slip stream??

You'll know when you're in the right spot / area as it goes all quiet and your car is "sucked" in to the one in front. You can let off the gas a bit and still keep up with the car in front. At the right moment you floor it and yo overtake. If you time it carefully you win the mission.

AMG

I spent many retries trying to conquer this Mission and once I did I saved the replay. My memory card crapped out on me losing everything done to date(approx. 2 mos. on the Game 50% Gold 94% complete etc.). I luckily had a backup at my friends house who was lazy and didn't want to race to get to the point I was at. This backup did NOT include the completion of Mission 23.After loading the backup to my card I went to this mission first and completed it first try.

Secret: Never allow a third car to pass. On the start go full throttle and about halfway up the straight lift off the gas completely and immedialty back on full throttle. Pass all cars on the left on the first turn at 175 low on the course and drive back up to the outer line with your right tires on the line. Once the car is straight look back(L1). If the lead car is not close enough to catch up slow down to 161-162 to make sure it can pass before the next turn. Allow only two cars to pass and draft the lead car which should be high on the turn. If there is enough distance between the lead car and the third place car you can draft the lead car and sneak in between the two. If there isn't enough distance then draft the lead car to 174-175 and pass it on the right. See if you can repeat what happened on the second straight away going into turn one allowing only two cars to pass before entering the turn. You should be able to continue this pattern until you are in the draft of the lead car just entering the tunnel on the last lap.

I couldn't have passed this one without all the help given before, thank you everyone!

Having just passed this one the other day; it's actually easy once you figure out how to draft the AI. Compared to all the other tests/mission halls, you just have to follow some simple rules:

1. Stay in 5th gear.

2. Don't hit anything, or allow yourself to be hit.

3. Learn how to draft (the Missions 21, 22, and 24 should have taught you that). Pick up every bit of speed you can going into the long curves.

4. Keep the car's right side close to the yellow line on the extreme right.

5. Align yourself so that the AI can pass you; I used the reverse-view button to keep my blue GT-R so that it can be passed. Sometimes you might have to move very slightly out of a charging AI's way.

6. Lift off slightly (to say, 158-160 mph) at the beginning of the 3rd-lap backstretch. This helped me get a long-lasting draft (up to 174-176 mph), and I was able to pick up the Yellow GT-R's tow perfectly and swoop by him for a win by 0.127 seconds.

7. Don't hit the yellow car! Yes, it's the stupidest mistake I've made in almost six years of playing GT. I followed the same instructions again, and I won.

I FINALLY BEAT IT! I also want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. All input helped me to stop cursing at my PS2. Thanks guys!

I also did it just yesterday.
All of the great advice paid off.
I was doing the same thing before I saw this thread except I was slowing down to let them catch up and I didn't know about the yellow line.

SPEEDSTER SAM
I hear people of cheating this mission ...how do you do that ??? is it some thing to do with bumping?

There's really no need to cheat, just follow Pupik's advice a few posts earlier than this one or read the thread. It really is that easy if you follow the advice given.

AMG.

I don't see how you can "cheat" on this mission :confused: It's really not that hard anyway. You just can't do it alone :sly:

tried this one yesterday , 3 times in a row , best was about 3 seconds diff with 1st car ..

I will try again after reading all the advice above .. thx

Bump drafting is a stupid way to do this mission and does not work.

Draft the pack of cars.
Let as many of them draft you and overtake you.
Drart the cars that just drafted you.
Repeat

it was harder than the other 2, but the thought of the race-spac pagani in my grasp lead me on. takes a lot of practice, dedication and *cough*megaturbocheats. ive got the pagani now and it is fanastic!!!!

Cause it's easy only when you know what to do. If you don't, you got no chance. Additionally, the thing to do is not the obvious way.

Regards
the Interceptor

well , I did it last night , 1st try got about 1sec diff with 1st car and on the second try I finally kicked his a** with about a sec in my advantage ..:sly:

I thank all the people here for the tips :

-drove all the way round in 5th
-kept the right tires on the right yellow line (closest to the wall)
-built up speed as good as I could behind the AI
-tried not to be bumped , but got bumped one time by the AI:yuck:
-didn't drink and drive

And so I slipstreamed past the lead car after the last stretch before the finish .. Jihaaaaaa

Edit : This was the last mission I had to do from the drafting ones , so after this I got my hands on that beautiful Pagani Zonda LM Race Car .... nice car

The AI in this mission is so retarded...I think I'm following the technique pretty well but I look in the rearview and all they are doing is bumping into each other and slowing down and never catching up to me before the next corner....IDIOTS!

No, the AI aren't retarded, they don't hit each other (not that I know off) they draft you and will take a few seconds to get fast enough for you to notice them getting closer, when they do get close, go to the very right off the track, let as many as possbile past then draft them again.

The way to cheat for all of you who want to know is to hit the red Skyline and push it around the track.
That's all I know, I don't get how people can do it that way, doing it the proper way works.

Rev It Up
...I think I'm following the technique pretty well ....IDIOTS!

Sorry to say this but the AI follow a certain set of rules coded by a programmer and there's not much variation in their pattern. You'll find if you follow the advice given in the posts above, to the letter, you will succeed. You need the help of the AI to make it to the finish. Don't try to outrun them because you'll never get the drafts needed to win. This one comes down to precision driving (stick to the yellow line for 95% of the time)

So "pretty well" alas doesn't cut it in this mission, follow the advice more strict and you'll be :) upon completion.

Read up on the following posts 2 7 12 13 31 42 (to name a few)

AMG.

i've finally done it after one year of trying. came to a point where i just gave up. then i read this thread the other day and gave it a try. From what i've read, i think we all pretty much share the same story :) Now the last one i think is gonna take me a while too. i'm still 11.XXX seconds behind the leader.
the best i've done so far is 3rd.

GeorgeMorley
No, the AI aren't retarded, they don't hit each other (not that I know off) they draft you and will take a few seconds to get fast enough for you to notice them getting closer
They do bump each other a bit, but it doesn't create problems.

When going down the straights, make sure that you are always directly in front of the lead car in the pack, and realize that the lead car may be passed by someone else. When I do this mission, I spend a lot of time looking backwards.

Back