Mission 23 - Nissan Skylines

• Thread starter Swift
  • 183 comments
man this is so strange i just cant make it best is 2secs
try'd bump drafting, i even sat right behind one in the corners and stuck to him down the straights #70mph but at the last corner the leader is still too far away
they just dont pass me in time.

Craked it finally, man the white car trys to hit me every time, used the red car first lap and a half, then he and the white/grey car were nowhere on the back straight last lap black car was the biggest help
1.075 secs

Hooray, I finally did this mission! I don't know if it was the guides that did it for me or if they just gave me the confidence to try again. Anyway, here's what I did.

First of all, I'm not sure why some people say you should never let up on the gas ever. Letting up on the gas was critical to my success. I have tried various methods but whenever I hold the gas down 100% of the time, I always get too far ahead of the pack after the first turn. I held down the gas almost the entire time, but I slowed down just a tiny bit after I initially passed everyone to ensure they wouldn't fall too far behind. That was the only time I let up. After that, I made sure they were drafting me on the straights and the second half of each turn. By the beginning of the second lap, I could already see the yellow Skyline off in the distance. I repeated the same patter over and over again (except I didn't let up on the throttle in the turns; that was only on the very first turn in the first lap) until I got close. I even accidentally hit one of the other Skylines as I attempted to pass and suffered a 5 second penalty, but by then I was within drafting distance of the yellow Skyline so I just got back up to speed and passed him on the next to last straight.

I don't know how it's possible to win without somehow slowing down at least a tiny bit at some point to let the others catch up. I think that going into the first turn, the other cars are not quite moving as fast as they are in the later turns because they haven't had the chance to build up enough speed or draft you yet, so you have to help them draft you. I got a feel for how close they need to be by taking into account how far behind I was at the beginning (since at the very beginning of the mission you're basically at the very edge of the drafting zone).

I tried this about 1 million times and eventually gave up. But after reading the guides here I did it first try last night.

The best piece of advice I read was to stay in 5 th gear. That regulates your speed so u can stay with pack without having to brake with them on the turns. I did it by staying at about 162-163kph on the turns, and obviously letting them draft me on the straights.

I won by over two seconds

mmmmmmm Zonda race car :)

Just won it 2nd go (1st go got run into as one of them was trying to go past me). I found you can go full throttle pretty much the whole way. It seems that the other cars may be to far behind but eventually they catch up and roar past you. Won it by something like 4-5 seconds. Easy once you know how

I think doing this mission with a Dualshock controller and AT is the hardest. I can't finish it yet. I'm going to try the 'stay in 5th gear' thing now, after just watching Famine's video. I also think it comes down to luck whether or not the cars behind you line up properly. I didn't see Famine look in the rear view mirror when he did it. I guess this is a mission that can really benefit from the superior control of a steering wheel type controller and pedals/gearstick. My thumbs just don't seem to posess the required subtlety. Also, I think some people just get lucky with their pack, mine only too often interfere with one another. This is a frustrating mission, but I want that Zonda. :grumpy:

Okay, the 'stay in 5th gear' thing is the trick. I got it on the second try. The first try I still had it in AT and was holding a button down all through the race to stay in 5th gear and had a few moments of uncoordination. I then switched to MT and stayed in 5th gear the whole race, except for the last straight before the finish, where I went into 6th gear after overtaking the 2nd place car, in order to overtake the 1st place car quicker.

The next mission was easy, I got it first go and now I am the proud owner of a Pagani Zonda. Thanks for the help. 👍

George Morley
No it's not, it's better to go up into 6th when you need to.

And don't double post please :)

Well everyone else seems to think that staying in 5th gear is the way to go, if only to limit your speed so as to be overtaken after each bend. Before I left it in 5th gear, I would have to ease off the throttle or use the brakes, in order to let the pack catch up, which would invariably put me back in 5th gear anyway and losing valuable momentum. It worked for me.

I don't see what the problem with putting two subsequent posts, I'm just sharing my experience with the mission in question. It was only an oversight of gleeful enthusiasm that caused me to 'double post'. It's not as if I posted the same thing twice. What I wrote wasn't outside the spirit of normal human behaviour toleration, even if I do say so myself. :)

The internet already has enough moderators, I think this type of culture stifles human creativity and freedom of expression.

I know your sharing your experiecne of how you completed it, it's only that I found it easier going into gear 6.

Dont take it the wrong way or anything, it was only my opinion :)

This is one of those missions where you know if it's going well.

(bear in mind, your car will do 262km/h by itself, the lead Skyline can only do 258-260)

Slipstream! Slipstream! When the AI comes roaring up behind you, move to the side so they don't hit you - this allows you to slipstream and get a bigger speed boost than if you were hit up the backside.

I caught the yellow Skyline about halfway around the final turn.

I watched Famine's video (thanks Famine and Daan) and then went last evening and finally got past this mission. My Skyline had an automatic tranny but for me the key was to put the view into whole car mode (Select button on the wheel) and then put the right side mirror on the yellow line. You also have to listen carefully for the cars coming up from behind to move over and then at the end for the slipstream of the lead Skyline. I ended up winning by over a second with a time of 7 minutes 3 seconds and change.

Thanks to all for the excellent posts. :-)

For me, this was the silliest mission. It only took a few goes to realise what was required, but actually getting the AI to do what I wanted was frustrating and took quite a few goes of trial and error to get the distances at the start of the straights just right to enable me to win.

All the other missions are about the driver working with the car to beat the task, this one is about manipulating the AI.

For me, this was the silliest mission. It only took a few goes to realise what was required, but actually getting the AI to do what I wanted was frustrating and took quite a few goes of trial and error to get the distances at the start of the straights just right to enable me to win.

All the other missions are about the driver working with the car to beat the task, this one is about manipulating the AI.

This is the best disciption so far. I tryed this mission about 25 times before I finally figured out the correct distance to lead the other cars by.:dunce: When I finnally won it was easy, before that I nearly threw the wheel across the room.

I entered the corner doing about 174. Follow the white Skyline into the corner and pass it on the inside the silver will move to the outside. Pass it then approch the red and black and move to the outside to pass them. I f you do that right you'll be doing 174 around the first turn. On exiting the turn take you foot (or finger) off the gas for just a second to slow to 161-162and line up your right tire with the right yellow line and wait for the black skyline will pass you. Get behind him right away (without hitting him) and follow him as long as you can and pass him in the next corner. You should be doing about 172 when you pass him. Then repeat. You should catch the lead car on the last corner draft him and pass him. Try not to hit other cars and definatly dont hit the wall. If you can get the a skyline in front of you and one of the others to nudge you while your drafting your good but don't let them nudge you unless your already drafting someone.

I find it easier to keep it in 5th.

Hey all!!~~

Finished this mission first try,,, it wasn't actually all that hard once you figure out what is going on!

The key to passing this mission is to stay in fifth gear and keep as close as possible (read nearly on centre) of the yellow line closest to the outter part of the track. As the mission starts, hold full throttle (100%) for the whole mission. No need to go half throttle to let the AI cars catch up as they always will on the straights. Draft the AI cars, then you will get infront, on the straight section as you are inside the tunnel if you stay close to the yellow line the white skyline will draft you and drive past (so too may the red one). As you see him approach in your rear view mirror, move to the right slightly and let him get infront. Now draft him and continually use this technique. Note: the AI cars will only draft you on the straights NOT on the corners. If you follow this technique you will have easy victory! I won by 2.8 seconds.

Regards

The other skylines when the pass by you really annoy me when they brake. You probably wouldn't need to brake using the Thrust on the Test Course*

All behind the leader when crossing the line. So frustrating.

*Being sarcy of course.

This one was maybe hardest after M34. The key to pass this one was keeping driving lines exact, give way a bit when AI's are passing you, otherwise they probably hit you, their dumbness made this hard.

I'll start with what most people come to as a conclusion after a few tries.
This is one of the single hardest missions.

After failing the first 5 times, i came here, watched famine's video, noted down all the points of place change, then did 3 more runs. got it on the 8th try by 0.466.

Thanks to all the people who gave everyone tips and a big thanks to famine for the video!

I'll start with what most people come to as a conclusion after a few tries.
This is one of the single hardest missions.

After failing the first 5 times, i came here, watched famine's video, noted down all the points of place change, then did 3 more runs. got it on the 8th try by 0.466.

Thanks to all the people who gave everyone tips and a big thanks to famine for the video!

I just drove it - daan recorded and hosts it. Appreciated though.

(I could note at this point that this is my favourite mission and, in fact, I still hold the record for it :D)

(I could note at this point that this is my favourite mission and, in fact, I still hold the record for it :D)

I tried it again the other night to try and beat you, and I didn't even manage to pass it.... :dunce:

I'm beating you at missions 21 & 22 though...

i did exactly what it says in here and i still cant beat it dumb AI's keep slowing eachother down and closest i can is 3.xxx seconds to yellow nissan
oh and in greatest hits version no need to wait 2 mins before starts

oh and in greatest hits version no need to wait 2 mins before starts

There is no 2 minute wait in any version for mission 23.

EDIT: How close do you want it?

mission23deadheat.jpg

You just need to draft the Skyline pack into each corner, drop below them and then move back in front of them (gently) and let them draft you down each straight - and at no point change gear. On the last corner take the low line, only coming up to draft the yellow Skyline then drop down again.

Back