Mission 23 - Nissan Skylines

• Thread starter Swift
  • 183 comments
I liked all the missions where you had to draft! The thing i found out, was not to outrun the cars behind you! It's all about how you draft! The mission i disliked the most number 34!!

I still can't get ahead of the last skyline. He's too far away in the start and can't even get close.

Go down to the low groove of the turns, but make sure you don't lose any speed. The first solid line is the short way around and you'll get within striking of the Yellow Skyline.

I think you would have to be one of the only people to have been able to do it in 6th. Unless you used manual and changed down to 5th and up to 6th when needed.

I used auto and let the game shift up and down for me,won by 5 seconds on my first try.

Go down to the low groove of the turns, but make sure you don't lose any speed. The first solid line is the short way around and you'll get within striking of the Yellow Skyline.

No, you won't.

If you want to win this mission, you have to draft the other cars and let them draft you. The yellow car has the same top speed as your car, you will not be able to catch him without the speed-boost you get from slipstreaming the other cars.

After a few attempts i won this easy... :P
Frog leap to catch up with the car way ahead of you, 3 laps is more than enough for that.
Then overtake that damn nightmare and say "YOU GOT OWNED 👍".

I had completed all but this mission more that 4 years ago due to its difficulty and forgot all about it, but I tried do do it last month and after about 5 attempts, I finally passed the leader on the last corner. This mission is much easier when you get the slipstream right:)

I found this mission really really difficult and I came here for advice. I've read most of it and now I am going to undertake the mission. Thanks guys, appreciate it!

never beat this mission before until now... thanks to the one who posted the strategies, I cleared it on the 2nd try! :D

God I hate Mission 23. It's my least favorite of the slipstream battles. Mission 21 was a little hard with the Cube being so slow. Mission 22 with the Odyssey is super easy since the Odyssey is much faster. Mission 23 is impossible. 14 seconds is way too much of a gap. 10 seconds would have been way better. Firstly, the reason Mission 23 sucks is you're all driving the same car with this huge gap. This means you have to depend on drafting the terrible AI to approach the yellow. And drafting the AI is a royal pain. You can agree with me on that. The mindless AI will also ram into you without apology and deal you a 5 second penalty they should be getting. And it's too easy to pull away from the AI. Artificial Intelligence? What intelligence? Maybe if the gap wasn't so big. I hate this mission. Maybe I'll have some better experiences in Mission 34...

Missions 21 and 22 are both very easy. The fact that the Cubes are so slow is what makes them boring, it does not make them hard. Mission 23 is, of course, not impossible. Difficult and nonintuitive at first, yes. Impossible, no. Many people have done it, after all.

The missions also teach something else that you seem to totally lack: patience.

Cheers guys, I was struggling with this for hours. I couldn't understand why the AI was braking into the bends! Watched the video and did it straight after! Didn't even need to take the shortest route round the corner, because I caught AI 1 halfway round the last bend , got a drag and beat him across the line by 0.632s!
Cheers again!

The trick is to keep the car in 5th gear when you are slipstreaming. Because if you shift to 6th the car will slow down and you will have trouble winning the mission.

Yeah I got this one at my 4th try 👍, I think before the final turn I cought one more draft and then broke off the herd, then at the turn I stayed real close to the left wall until I went to catch the final cars draft. Got a pretty close 0:00.011 win that time... :)
Oh and with 6th gear and auto gears too.

I found this tough until I got the technique down. Basically, all you have to do is slipstream the AI cars just as you turn into the corners so you're about 100-150m ahead of them coming into the straight, which puts you closer to the yellow car but is still enough for the others to slipstream you. On the straight, look behind you as the other cars are attempting to pass and move out the way to let them do so, even slow down slightly if necessary. Then you should be just coming into the next corner as you go to pass them once again. You should be able to get at least 277 km/h (172 mph) as you pass, and repeat this as many times as necessary. When I re-did this mission, I passed it first time, and got into the yellow car's slipstream on the last back straight, passing around the start of the last corner.

Yeah, manual is crucial element of this mission.

I've passed the mission easily by letting the cars go jus as I have overtook them, so they passed by me and I was still in their draft. I've overtaken the yellow one at exit of last corner on last lap.

After about 7 years of owning GT4, I only just now realized the significance of Mission 23 using Nissans.

Discuss Mission 23
Or theres the way I just had it happen. Got ahead of the field After the last turn on lap 2, and stayed there. Was about 4 seconds back of the 'rabbit', At about 166mph. Made it through the 1st turn on lap 3, and was a ways ahead of the field. The red Skyline caught me just before the 'braking maneuver', and smacked me square in the back, catapulting me to 176mph. I got in the lead cars draft, and passed him midway through the last corner @ 180. 1.453 second win. Definately not the way the book would have you do it, but a win is a win.

Finally, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. It seems I do not yet possess the necessary skill to beat this mission with elegant pack-management tactics, so I had to use the boorish bump-draft tactic :). I did discover that unless I kept my car properly positioned to manage the speed of the car I was drafting (which was the way I had understood the mission instructions), bump-drafting didn't work either. 1mph counts. There remains that Mission 34...

Back