Mission 23 - Nissan Skylines

• Thread starter Swift
  • 183 comments
You're quite right. Unless I've been beaten recently, I hold the record for this particular mission, and the method I use isn't the same as the "works every time" method I recommend to people having difficulty with it.

I FOUND THE SECRET. It took me FOREVER to beat it! But I feel wierd for using Nascar terms... ^^;

The secret is BUMP DRAFTING. You pick one of the Skylines in the pack, the red or black (I find the black better), and let up on the gas before you bump his bumper to avoid the penalty. Then, you bump draft him constantly, hitting around 170 on the straights. On lap 3, toward the end if the tunnel, let off the gas and lay back a bit, then floor it to gather up some speed into the turn. You need a speed of at least 172 before leaving thier slipstreams. After getting the speed, head for the inside of the corner, and stay there. Catch up to the lead Skyline on the inside, then slip behind him when you're close enough to get in his slipstream, then pass him just before the finish line.

It may take a few tries because the pack likes to get in your way when you want to leave it, but this is the only way I was able to beat it.

... Now I need to see if I can change my name...

I just beated this one today and finally getted the Pagani Zonda LM Race car :) I think i just had luck this time because the AI drivers bumped me like crazy so i could get a lot faster.

I hate this one, & i know that i will hate all the the driving missions 2. This is like the hardest slipstream race for me. I even tried a video thats there on google & gamespot faq's but nothing worked. I would always come in 2nd but i'll try Limits tip see what happens.

I hate this one, & i know that i will hate all the the driving missions 2. This is like the hardest slipstream race for me. I even tried a video thats there on google & gamespot faq's but nothing worked. I would always come in 2nd but i'll try Limits tip see what happens.

I found the opposite to be the case. Make sure the AI cars pass you cleanly (watch your rear vision more than you watch the road ahead) then tuck right in behind them. The theory behind this one is like the team pursuits you see at track cycling (or lobsters if you care to consider it). A group of cars can go much faster than a single car if they each take turns in the lead - you build up speed in the slipstream and then take the lead until the next car catches up and takes the lead. The times I got bumped or bumped the other cars led to failure - a clean run on the other hand led to relativley easy success.

(Two other points were to never take your finger off the button and not to change gears but leave it in the red zone.)

....(Two other points were to never take your finger off the button and not to change gears but leave it in the red zone.)

meaning do not change out of 5th gear. always allow the ai to pass after giving them a good draft. then tuck in behind and get their draft.

ran this again the other night and at the end of each straight i was doing at least 275k/ph after the draft. then sat on the line around the corner and down the next straight untill about half way down then the ai start to get close. move over let them pass, then tuck in behind. you should get a good draft coming up to the bend and never go around the out side if you are passing two or more ai, they will punish you.

My race, videoed by daan and posted in post TWO of this thread gives you all the information you need.

And I hold the record (that I know of) for this mission.

Last edited:
What's your time, Famine? It's probably a lot faster than mine, but I just cleared this mission with a 7':02.056" and a margin of 2.453". I stayed in 5th gear until my last slingshot (around 9 o'clock on 5th turn). I let 3 AI cars past on the back front straight, then upshifted to 6th during the runup for my last pass. I passed an a top speed of around 180 mph, then held 6th and dropped low for the rest of the turn. At exit, I eased outside until I latched onto the yellow Skyline. The long runup in top gear let me pass him around 3/4 down the back straight (shortly after the tunnel) and staying low through the entire last turn let me put some lead on him.

I am just wondering what other winning margins are. mine best MOV is 2.568 seconds. i noticed Duke's is close to that. What are other peoples times?

Read the thread. It is mentioned many times what you should do.

x2 - if I remember right, there is even a video showing what to do.

It took me a couple tries to get beat this one. Untill I read this thread.

well i just complete this mission so i give some of my tips.....

for every middle of the turn, your speed must be roughly 270-275 km/h
( obviously must draft )

This mission drives me crazy,mission 1 to 30 i´ve done most of them on the second or third try but i can´t win this one... iv´e played it 10 or more times (70 minutes :embarrassed: ) got to try this one tomorrow again...

I watched a video on youtube to help me out with this. You need to drive in front of the other skylines let them pass you and then draft them again. You must keep doing this repeatedly until you get to the tunnel on the last lap. Just type it into youtube, there are lots of tutorials there.

I watched a video on youtube to help me out with this. You need to drive in front of the other skylines let them pass you and then draft them again. You must keep doing this repeatedly until you get to the tunnel on the last lap. Just type it into youtube, there are lots of tutorials there.

Or you could read through this thread and find things like this:

GT4 Mission IA-23 Sphinx (7:02.078)

:)

this darn mission is hard!!!!! i can never catch up to that car in the lead.

Try actually reading some of the advice here instead of posting annoying little one line posts everywhere.

Post #2 in this thread has precise instructions on how to win this without fail. Follow the advice and you can't fail to win.

Thanx a lot guys! Took me forever to beat this one. I tried going after him alone, then I tried bumpdrafting one car and got very close lot's of times. After reading this topic, I tried the "Awaji Islander" method including letting off the gas a bit at the end of each corner.

It worked! Finally got my shiny new Zonda LM racecar! ;)

Just beat this yesterday. I drafted them until right before the turn, then slowed to 164 and floored it until someone passed me on the straights. Before long I was able to sling shot past them out of the second to last corner and latch onto the yellow car for the last straight/last corner

Personally, I was surprised so many people having trouble with this one; won it on my 2nd try no problems (and my 1st try was only a reconnaissance drive to see what all the fuss was all about..)

I simply passed the cars asap, full throttle all the time, stayed in front of them using the yellow guideline to enable them to pass me again, repeated this a few times and easily got behind the leader. Used his draft, overtook at the final corner and then stayed inside to make sure he wouldn't use *my* draft to beat me at the finish line. That's all it took.

It probably helped that I played my share of Nascar2003 draft races and lots of slipstreaming Monza races in GPL, so I kind of knew what to do (and not do) in slipstreaming, though.

i think the trick is basically this :

1) Run a manual tranny, never upshift more than 5th gear.

2) Overtake a car at the curves, then just slightly, lift off, and let the same car overtake u again, and then use the draft of the same car get closer to the next car, etc.

I used this method, and it just worked. I did struggle in the S2000 event tho, but still completed it.

i think the trick is basically this :

1) Run a manual tranny, never upshift more than 5th gear.

2) Overtake a car at the curves, then just slightly, lift off, and let the same car overtake u again, and then use the draft of the same car get closer to the next car, etc.

I used this method, and it just worked. I did struggle in the S2000 event tho, but still completed it.

The trick with this event,

1) Is do not shift out of 5th, (you can still you an Auto, just hold it in gear)

2) Overtake the car in front when you have to, Never lift off, Let them draft you and then get out of the way, Rinse and repeat.

Nope; I was in 6th all the time. It just depends on how you tackle it.

I think you would have to be one of the only people to have been able to do it in 6th. Unless you used manual and changed down to 5th and up to 6th when needed.

I still can't get ahead of the last skyline. He's too far away in the start and can't even get close.

Have you read the second or third post in this thread? It helped me to win this mission by over a second

I think you would have to be one of the only people to have been able to do it in 6th. Unless you used manual and changed down to 5th and up to 6th when needed.

Well... I was in Auto-shift and just went flat out all the time, using the slipstream to get ahead and let them pass me when I got up to speed. Then I used their draft again and got by, except the final corner where I stayed inside to make sure the lead AI couldn't get in my slipstream again. Didn't have any particular problems doing it that way.
(But, like I said above, I'd already gathered quite a bit of drafting experience racing GPL at places like Monza for several years...)

Back