Modified Track Path Editor + Tracks/Discussion

BTW, i think it would be easy and a nice feature if not only the position is indicated in the track view but also the extents of manipulation of the heights in the elevation editor, so not only a circle is shown, but a rectangle wrapped around the part of the track that is influenced by the elevation editing.

This would be great!

Right now all road and deco stuff is taken from the imported ted file and only scaled to the new track length on export. I'm currently working on an editor for this, but it's not finished yet. It's a bit tricky as every piece of geometry that can be placed has a specific length and in order to get a continuous road surface (without gaps) the pieces have to be put together to cover the whole track, not be stretched or shrinked too much and still be in the place where the user wants them to be. PD nicely sidestepped the issue by not allowing you to alter the road geometry but placing it all automatically but we all want more than that... :mischievous::lol:

Scenery would be nice but as I found last night using the elevation editor with the Ted editor to find the exact position of each track element adding it manually is pretty simple. I did run into an issue with all of my Marshalls posts being on the left side of the track even though I used the trackright_a location for 2 of them. Has anyone run into this and possibly know how to fix it?

Some more scenery bits and possibly slight adjustments to the physical location and Lime Rock Park will be releasable!

This would be great!

Scenery would be nice but as I found last night using the elevation editor with the Ted editor to find the exact position of each track element adding it manually is pretty simple. I did run into an issue with all of my Marshalls posts being on the left side of the track even though I used the trackright_a location for 2 of them. Has anyone run into this and possibly know how to fix it?

Some more scenery bits and possibly slight adjustments to the physical location and Lime Rock Park will be releasable!

Rail type needs to be 1 when there is 1 code for both sides. 0 left, 1 right. Alongside A or B, right or left.

Edit: it's all explained in the 2x track codes I uploaded for Eifel & Andalusia.

Last edited:
Rail type needs to be 1 when there is 1 code for both sides. 0 left, 1 right. Alongside A or B, right or left.

Edit: it's all explained in the 2x track codes I uploaded for Eifel & Andalusia.

I see, should be an easy fix then, thanks!

I wish the Forrest road type had trees only on one side! The elevation changes have some of my trees too low, hoping I can find better placement of the circuit to match the surrounding topography.

I see, should be an easy fix then, thanks!

I wish the Forrest road type had trees only on one side! The elevation changes have some of my trees too low, hoping I can find better placement of the circuit to match the surrounding topography.

Just use normal road & put forest decor down the side you want. (Make sure you overlap the length by 10 for no gaps) ie: 0-100 / 90-190 / 180/280 & so forth.

By the way I sent you a FR on PSN :)

Edit: Also I managed to successfully do a full track theme swap :) not just from Eifel to Eifel Flat but from Eifel to Andalusia & back again :)

Last edited:
Just use normal road & put forest decor down the side you want. (Make sure you overlap the length by 10 for no gaps) ie: 0-100 / 90-190 / 180/280 & so forth.

By the way I sent you a FR on PSN :)

Edit: Also I managed to successfully do a full track theme swap :) not just from Eifel to Eifel Flat but from Eifel to Andalusia & back again :)

Yes that's what I've done, but gapped it by 20 good to know I can change it to 10, however the elevation change seems to be lowering the trees, is that because I've used narrow road in that area?

Confirmed the fr yesterday I believe.

Congrats on the swap. What issues did you run into?

Edit: Also I read in your documentation of track elements changing the starting line flags from type 2 to type 0 the track would follow the same width as the rest of the circuit but it seemed to have no effect.

Last edited:
Yes that's what I've done, but gapped it by 20 good to know I can change it to 10, however the elevation change seems to be lowering the trees, is that because I've used narrow road in that area?
You can use narrow roads but make sure you place your trees on segment A (closer to the barriers) as decor on segment B will fall down the slope a little.

Confirmed the fr yesterday I believe.
:cheers:

Congrats on the swap. What issues did you run into?
None, it went perfect 1st time :) Just replace all road structures with the appropriate new theme codes & then change the main theme. But make sure you 0 decoration or it will crash because you can't have Eifel decor on Andalusia or vice versa. You just have to replace the new theme decor codes after.

Edit: Also I read in your documentation of track elements changing the starting line flags from type 2 to type 0 the track would follow the same width as the rest of the circuit but it seemed to have no effect.
The 1st 6 segments on Eifel are type 2 (S/F straight) so no matter how wide you make the rest of the track the S/F straight will always be the same width, 13m I believe. However if you change the 1st 6 segments to type 0 when you change the track width to say 20m or even 50m for a laugh, the S/F straight will get much wider (following the same as track width) :)

Last edited:
You can use narrow roads but make sure you place your trees on segment A (closer to the barriers) as decor on segment B will fall down the slope a little.

Thanks, will try those adjustments.

None, it went perfect 1st time :) Just replace all road structures with the appropriate new theme codes & then change the main theme. But make sure you 0 decoration or it will crash because you can't have Eifel decor on Andalusia or vice versa. You just have to replace the new theme decor codes after.

Makes sense, that's how I would have gone about it.

The 1st 6 segments on Eifel are type 2 (S/F straight) so no matter how wide you make the rest of the track the S/F straight will always be the same width, 13m I believe. However if you change the 1st 6 segments to type 0 when you change the track width to say 20m or even 50m for a laugh, the S/F straight will get much wider (following the same as track width) :)

How about narrower though? That's what I've attempted and it didn't seem to work.

In the documentation it says that the railtype int flag of the rails determines it but that seems to have no effect and I can't determine any effect at all of changing that number. The railtype of the deco object however has to be a 0 for left and 1 for right. That's how I got the marshall post to flip sides.

Edit: Also changing from narrow roads to normal fixed my trees! Thanks!

Yeh I have noticed that the rail type has more control over a few decoration. I presume it's just a base code on PD part, I don't know.

Like I said when you have 1 code for both sides it's pretty straightforward, it's when you get into multipart decoration with individual codes for each part/either side that it becomes a little more complex. As long as you follow the track codes though it should be good.

As long as I haven't cocked any of it up lol.

Has anyone tried making the Goliath Circuit from Horizon 3 yet? I think that would be a fun track to race on.

Made an executive decision with my Ahvenisto track :)

Due to the the real track having the pits nowhere near the start line & the fact that they look more like a bunch of white sheds than actual pits lol.

Add the fact that the Eifel pit buildings are HUMONGOUS :) it just looked..... crap on such a small 1.8mile track lol.

Sooo, I got rid of them altogether :)

Thanks to @Razerman the ted-editor can now upload ted files directly to PD's servers, without using his previous tool that is lingering in the github interwebs. Thanks @Razerman! :bowdown:

EDIT:
the upload ted feature needs a new library so on Windows run pipinstall.bat once again, and on other systems run python3 -m pip install -r requirements.txt.

It's been done before a few times in this thread, but let's add another disclaimer (another one pops up when you actually use the Upload TED command... :D): The upload of those modified ted files probably violates the PSN Terms of Service, and you might risk getting your PSN account banned. It's been done before for using modded cars in online time trials -- you have been warned.

I guess this risk isn't very high as modded tracks were uploaded publicly for quite some time now and nothing happened. Also the tracks enhance the GT6 experience rather than cheating to gain advantage over other players. So use the feature responsibly and based on former experience i predict there won't be a problem. 👍

I also improved the elevation editor track indicator, it's now a blue offset rectangle to indicate the brush extents:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-16 um 20.37.44.png

Last edited:
But the limit is there for a reason, and you'll probably experience some performance issues if you exceed it too far.

There was a lot of limits in place for a reason at the start, we've just broken them all so far :)

What's 1 more going to do :)

There was a lot of limits in place for a reason at the start, we've just broken them all so far :)

What's 1 more going to do :)

Different limits have different reasons though.

There are limits based on what looks good:
  • Placing tracks inside the boundary
  • Limits to how tight you can make a corner before the mesh gets distorted
  • Limits to how wide or how narrow you can make the track
  • Not being able to cross the path
  • Not being able to place decorations on top of other decorations
And there are limits based on performance:
  • The total number of decorations you can place
  • The maximum distance of the track
  • The maximum number of anchors you can place
Exceeding the first category of limits will be fine, worst case scenario is that you get an ugly track.

Exceeding the second category is trickier, because the worst case scenario is that the game will crash.

As long as @tarnheld's editor has no anchor limits, this track could now be a reality :)

There are no built in limits, but the track editing will become slower and slower with more points and segments added. If you alter many points at once like scaling or rotating the track that's were you will feel it the most.

The ted file format has no inherent limits on number of control points or other arrays (ok, the number is limited to maximum 2^32 (4 billion and some) by the array size variable being 32 bits wide :P).

I don't know if there are limits in GT6, i.e if they refuse to load a track with many points or decorations, or if the game will just crash if you try to load it. We'll just have to try... :mischievous:

EDIT:

another problem could be the fixed extents of the scenery and the height map, the 96h of hell track might not fit in there...

Last edited:
While I agree with both of you @eran0004 & @tarnheld that no doubt there will be problems to overcome, but I didn't succeed with my IoM track by giving up the 1st time it crashed.

I must of built the thing about 15 times before I reached the limit & succeeded.

When I'm finished doing all my track's I'm going to give it bash, the worst thing that can happen is the PS3 will explode lol.

EDIT:

another problem could be the fixed extents of the scenery and the height map, the 96h of hell track might not fit in there...

How about mirroring the height map when you go beyond it? So that if the height map ends at x = 1000 and you place a road at x = 1200, it would pick the height from x = 800 (1000-(1000-1200)). It would give a smooth transition at the borders.

How about mirroring the height map when you go beyond it? So that if the height map ends at x = 1000 and you place a road at x = 1200, it would pick the height from x = 800 (1000-(1000-1200)). It would give a smooth transition at the borders.

That might do the trick, but i fear that GT6 won't swallow the humongous track... :nervous:

When you go off the map it follows the elevation closest to the edge of the map so your road will still go up & down as if a hill was there.
But the further you go out the more it flattens out to match the lowest point of the map.
Right up through the scenery & beyond.

It's been a long time since i played any Gran Turismo game and i wanted to go back to GT6 to mess around with this. What kind of tools there's right now?

It's been a long time since i played any Gran Turismo game and i wanted to go back to GT6 to mess around with this. What kind of tools there's right now?
Well, there are @PR1VATEJ0KER's modified APKs, they are modified versions of PD's Track Path Editor, to be installed on an Android system or an Android emulator like BlueStacks:
These are the most stable way to lift some of the restrictions of the original TPE.
The other tools dig a little deeper and work directly at the ted file level, that is the file format that is transferred between the TPE and GT6 when you upload a track. For using these you need a tool to extract this ted file, it can be found in replays of races done on the track. @Razerman has dissected the file format and has made a tool to extract ted files of your tracks from replays and upload ted files to GT6.
As for the tools to modify the ted files there is @eran0004's elevation editor, you can change the height along the track, smoothen it or add bumps and much more. This is pretty stable and was used in making several tracks already.
Finally there is my megalomaniac attempt to recreate an enhanced TPE, the ted-editor. It's more alpha than beta right now, but it let's you alter the track layout in new ways, change the banking and the heights using @eran0004's elevation editor. It's only for the Andalusia scene right now, still missing is changing the road appearance and decoration placement.

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Well, @Razerman made a brilliant TED extraction and upload tool that allows you to extract the track "blueprints" from a replay file.

The TED file can be edited with 010 editor, or any other hex editor.

I made an elevation editor that reads the height data of the TED file and lets you edit it. You need Python 3 (Python.org) to use the editor.

@tarnheld made a TED editor that lets you edit pretty much everything. Also using Python.

And then there are some mods of the android TPE app that lets you place the start straight anywhere, lets you create small radius turns, lets you cross your own path and lets you draw the track outside of the boundaries.

Last edited:
@tarnheld BIG BIG thank you for helping me out in my moment of utter dumbness :banghead: :cheers:

Also your editor works on all themes, not just Andalusia.

@ToyGTone check out my Red Rock Valley RM Edition track to see what can be done :)

Last edited:
@tarnheld I'm currently working on an Eifel track with your editor and it works nicely, though obviously there's a lot of guesswork to find a good place for it with the andalusia background map :lol:

Back