Modified Track Path Editor + Tracks/Discussion

Looks like the TED editor fuctions do it too, not just elevation or bank edits. It affects the whole track even if I edit just one turn. Notice there seems to be multiple layers of curbs stacked. The track is not even fully lined, only the curves had them originally, but they stretched out enough to fill the whole length.

Wow! Never seen that before. Would you mind sending me the TED file so I can have a look at what's going on?

Looks like the TED editor fuctions do it too, not just elevation or bank edits. It affects the whole track even if I edit just one turn. Notice there seems to be multiple layers of curbs stacked. The track is not even fully lined, only the curves had them originally, but they stretched out enough to fill the whole length.

I feel like the ted editor has always done this. My best practice is to keep a copy of the ted with proper scenery, then once final edits are done copy and paste the good scenery section into the file thats been edited.

In an ideal world the ted editor would just ignore the scenery section all together.

I feel like the ted editor has always done this. My best practice is to keep a copy of the ted with proper scenery, then once final edits are done copy and paste the good scenery section into the file thats been edited.

In an ideal world the ted editor would just ignore the scenery section all together.

The problem is that the positions in the TED file are based on track distance, including elevation. When you edit the elevation or the layout of the track you also change the distance, which means that all the props are moving around. Early on at a track with minor edits this is negligible, but towards the end of longer track, or tracks with bigger edits, the difference can be quite big, sometimes leading to a track crashing when loaded in-game, as some prop or road segment extends beyond the length of the track.

In the TPE app I think they solved this problem by letting the props stay relative to the anchors, so if you move an anchor it will only directly affect the props that cover the segments controlled by that anchor. Indirectly it affects other props as well, since the road calculation is refreshed and the borders of the allowed props areas do shift slightly when that happens.

In the more recent versions of the elevation editor, props are stored by their horizontal distance on the track (excluding heights) so they shouldn't move around any longer when you change the elevation of a track. Instead they may stretch and squeeze slightly, but usually not enough to be noticeable.

Not sure how it's handled in the TED editor though.

The TPE sometimes just get rid of curbs and objects when you edit some sections. Simplest option might be just to remove objects when the track lenght is greatly modified in the TED editor. Although I have yet to try out hex editing for manual object placement, so don't see how hard it could be.

The TPE sometimes just get rid of curbs and objects when you edit some sections. Simplest option might be just to remove objects when the track lenght is greatly modified in the TED editor. Although I have yet to try out hex editing for manual object placement, so don't see how hard it could be.

Super duper easy, especially with the elevation editor built into the ted editor so you can see the exact track location you are placing the object.

Wow! Never seen that before. Would you mind sending me the TED file so I can have a look at what's going on?

I did an experiment for you. I made a very simple track using the official TPE, just 2 turns with 1 piece of curbing on the inside and outside of each, and then imported it into the TED editor. I made 0 edits to anything, just immediately exported the file. The result is the single pieces of curbing got stretched out the full length of the curves.

Attachments

• curbs.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 11
I did an experiment for you. I made a very simple track using the official TPE, just 2 turns with 1 piece of curbing on the inside and outside of each, and then imported it into the TED editor. I made 0 edits to anything, just immediately exported the file. The result is the single pieces of curbing got stretched out the full length of the curves.

@tarnheld Looks like a scaling issue in the ted editor. I checked the central position of the curbs vpos+(vpos2 - vpos)/2 and they are virtually identical (the difference is up to 2 millimeters) between the two files, however in the original file the curbs are 25 meters long, while in the edited file they are 261.379 meters long, scaled up by a factor of 10.455. The last curbs extend beyond the length of the track, and perhaps that could cause them to display in the middle of the road?

Last edited:
I did an experiment for you.
@tarnheld Looks like a scaling issue in the ted editor.

Thanks, yes there was a blatant bug in the ted-editor, it's fixed now. 👍 Thanks for the investigation, keep 'em bug reports coming! :cheers:

Sorry but i didn't found the time to work on the road and deco placement, hopefully i will have something rudimentary ready around Christmas... :)

Happy new year everyone :)

Been away from GT6/PS3 recently what with work, kids, ash vs evil dead lol, xmas & all that + I got a bit bored with gaming in general tbh.

Anyway's, a new year so hopefully I'll kick back into gear & start pumping out the old RM tracks again soon, starting with Highlands Motorsport Park.

Hope you all had a nice xmas & new year & I'll see you track :cheers:

What an extraordinarily thrilling adventure!
I just spent the morning reading all these messages, and I am completely blown away.
First steps to analyze the contents of the APK (raw files), to the development of the EDT editor, going through the various transversal tools, what a long way!!
I bow before so much work and will.:bowdown:

Happy new year for all contributors :)

The following issue has been resolved by the author (thanks!).

For me, the Elevation Editor does not load a ted file, it say alloc: invalid block: , followed by three numbers that are not the same if I try again with the same file. I used the TED-editor example files and one point to point thing I exported.

Python 3.4.2.

Last edited:
For me, the Elevation Editor does not load a ted file, it say alloc: invalid block: , followed by three numbers that are not the same if I try again with the same file. I used the TED-editor example files and one point to point thing I exported.

Python 3.4.2.

What operating system are you using?

debian linux 8

There is something about Debian 8 and tkinter (the GUI package I'm using) that causes this bug to appear. It seems to be the askopenfile and asksavefile functions that aren't compatible with the OS.

I'll see if I can fix it.

@Thematic

Can you try this file? Rename the old readfile_2.py script to readfile_2_old.py. Then unzip this file and rename readfile_debug.py to readfile_2.py. Finally, start the elevation editor and try to load a file.

Note: This script will not solve the bug, but it will print what it's doing so we can see where the bug appears.

Attachments

• readfile_debug.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 11
It seems to be the askopenfile and asksavefile functions that aren't compatible with the OS.
Can you load a ted file with the ted-editor using the Import TED menu entry? I use the ask(open|save)filename functions too.
debian linux 8
You could also try to install python3.5 from the testing distribution to check if the problem goes away, see here for setting up apt to use the stable distribution with some packages from testing. 👍

Can you load a ted file with the ted-editor using the Import TED menu entry? I use the ask(open|save)filename functions too.

You could also try to install python3.5 from the testing distribution to check if the problem goes away, see here for setting up apt to use the stable distribution with some packages from testing. 👍

We found a fix, thanks to you actually ;)
As it works correctly in your TED editor I checked how you had done it, and I saw that the difference is that I'm passing arguments to my askopenfilename while you don't. So I removed the arguments and now it works on Debian 8.

tl;dr I would like to do some manual editing.

See the hex editor entries and templates in the Course Maker Toolbox thread. The 010 Editor is also available for GNU/Linux, looking into Razerman's templates (open with any text editor) gives you a good overview of the ted structure. Don't hesitate to ask if anything is unclear to you. If you want to do some batch changes and you don't shy away from some Python programming, you can look into the read_ted.py file in the ted-editor. It contains a standalone mode, you can execute it with python:

Code:
> python3 read_ted.py <tedfile>

and it reads and prints the contents of the ted file. You can study the python code and turn it into a ted file batch converter of your liking. Feel free to ask me about the inner workings, the code is lacking in documentation.

What are the most likely things to check in a file before upload? As I alluded to, things like circuit/point-to-point I can check easily.

The sum of the divisions of all segments should match the number of height entries, else the track will crash GT6 on upload. The offsets and sizes of the dynamic arrays referenced in the header should be set up correctly else a crash is likely. Otherwise the upload is pretty robust, but if GT6 doesn't like the track it will refuse to render it and the overview screen will be black.

What are the most likely things to check in a file before upload? As I alluded to, things like circuit/point-to-point I can check easily.

You need to check that the header accurately describes the content of the file. The header defines the position and number of items of each group of data, so if you for instance add a new decoration item manually to the file you need to make sure that you also edit the header to reflect that change.

You should also check that the positions of decorations, banks and road segments doesn't exceed the length of the track. In best case that will lead to some glitchy graphics, in worst case it will cause the game to crash when you try to load the track. It can be tricky and time consuming to manually calculate the length of the track, but the elevation editor does that automatically when you save a track so if you need to know how long your track is before you upload it you can always load it in the elevation editor, save a copy and then check the length stated in the file (you'll find it in the header data). I don't think it's accurate down to the millimeter, so it's a good practice to leave a bit of margin (perhaps a meter or two) and avoid placing any objects at the very end of the track.

The sum of the divisions of all segments should match the number of height entries, else the track will crash GT6 on upload.

There is one more height entry than the sum of the bank divNum's. The very first height entry is placed at 0 meters so it doesn't belong to any bank.

@eran0004 got a weird bug mate on your elevation editor (might be the track) for some reason your editor is seeing 100m less than whatever length I make the track in @tarnheld's editor.

Eg: I make the track at 4200m @Razerman's editor see's this & GT6 see's this, but when I go to add elevation from you editor the height points stop at 4100m. It's completely missing the last 100m from my track as you watch the line move around in @tarnheld's editor.

The banking editor also see's the full 4200m & the line completes the lap.

Like I said above it might be the track as it's not happening when I test any of my older tracks, although this is the 1st track I've tried to make with version 1.1.4b

Last edited:
@eran0004 got a weird bug mate on your elevation editor (might be the track) for some reason your editor is seeing 100m less than whatever length I make the track in @tarnheld's editor.
Hmm. I haven't yet had much success with the program, as those tracks that loaded successfully, aren't completable.

But my example, which is a "pure" ted, shows 9587 m at the right end of the Elevation Editor, and 9534 m in the relevant banking editor. Going by memory, I think GT6 says something close to the first figure.

Eg: I make the track at 4200m @Razerman's editor see's this & GT6 see's this, but when I go to add elevation from you editor the height points stop at 4100m. It's completely missing the last 100m from my track as you watch the line move around in @tarnheld's editor.

The banking editor also see's the full 4200m & the line completes the lap.

Like I said above it might be the track as it's not happening when I test any of my older tracks, although this is the 1st track I've tried to make with version 1.1.4b

Does your track have a lot of elevation changes? The editor shows the flat length of the track, i.e. excluding elevation.

Save the track and check the contents of the ted file. If the track length listed in the header is also 100 meters off of what you see in the game then there is something wrong.

Does your track have a lot of elevation changes? The editor shows the flat length of the track, i.e. excluding elevation.

Save the track and check the contents of the ted file. If the track length listed in the header is also 100 meters off of what you see in the game then there is something wrong.
The track is flat mate, I was just about to start adding elevation to create the bridge on Highlands motorsport park when I noticed it.

Let me do a rebuild to see if it's something I done 1st & I'll get back to you :cheers:

The track is flat mate, I was just about to start adding elevation to create the bridge on Highlands motorsport park when I noticed it.

Let me do a rebuild to see if it's something I done 1st & I'll get back to you :cheers:

Can you post a picture of the layout? I think I know what the problem might be...

Are you ready eran :) here we go lol
as you can see from all editor's the track length is 4200 & flat
2017-01-10 20.12.39.jpg
2017-01-10 20.13.19.jpg
2017-01-10 20.14.04.jpg
2017-01-10 20.14.49.jpg

Then running the banking editor
as you can see the icon reached the end of the lap as it reached the end of the editor
2017-01-10 20.15.44.jpg

Now your elevation editor
as you can see it ends at 4090 & the icon on track doesn't reach the end of the lap when your editor finishes
2017-01-10 20.17.04.jpg

Last edited:
Are you ready eran :) here we go lol
as you can see from all editor's the track length is 4200 & flat
View attachment 619539 View attachment 619540 View attachment 619541 View attachment 619542

Then running the banking editor
as you can see the icon reached the end of the lap as it reached the end of the editor
View attachment 619543

Now your elevation editor
as you can see it ends at 4090 & the icon on track doesn't reach the end of the lap when your editor finishes
View attachment 619544

Can you send me the ted file?

Back