Modified Track Path Editor + Tracks/Discussion

Such a lot of progress made by you guys!! wow!! I can see we will be able to see lots of new replicas with near identical tracks with 1:1 elevations also in the database soon! If you haven't tried eran's track with the minute bumps and elevations in it, I highly recommend it, it really feels like a oldschool premium racetrack! Almost makes me want to make some tracks again. Just well done. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...racks-discussion.337816/page-30#post-11593320

eran0004 do you have a copy of that Figure 8 jump track? I looked through and it appears all of them were deleted from your page? Would be really cool to test it for the first time, I'm a bit late to the party lol

Yeah, to make room for new tracks I had to delete them. I can send you the TED file though and then you can upload it yourself :)

Yeah, to make room for new tracks I had to delete them. I can send you the TED file though and then you can upload it yourself :)
Sure. You can just use the normal APK to upload or you need to convert? I haven't done anything with TED files before lol

Sure. You can just use the normal APK to upload or you need to convert? I haven't done anything with TED files before lol

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/friend/Mr-6rumpy1/course/2688131/

@Grippy the problem is with the default width track is it's only 8m & while it looks ok on my trial river test track it's no good for racing on at monza.
Besides I think PD got there scaling slightly off because if you place a Ford GT40 spec 2 race car sideways on an 8m track there is no way 3m left considering the car is supposed to be nearly 5m long.

On another (sad) note, I have failed in my attempts to create the crossover on the S/F straight at my Monza 1960's track.
I've tried every known trick in the book but to no avail.

It truly is a sad day for the modding community :( lol

Last edited:
1. When you use the mouse scroll wheel while in rotate (or scale) mode, the track rotates (or scales) while you zoom in/out.

Will fix that.

2. You can press 'r' (or 's') a second time to exit rotate (or scale) mode, along with being able to press 'ESC'.

Intended but undocumented :P

3. Zooming in with the scroll wheel doesn't take you to the cursor.

I'm trying, but it's really hard to make that happen. Scrolling is a dark and evil form of magic.

I noticed that you use two control points for each corner. Is this to maintain compatibility with the ted-editor, or is there another reason?

Mainly ted-editor compatibility.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but if you have a 5m long ford GT40 and you place it sideways on 8m width of track you should have 3m left over. 5+3=8 lol

That's what I said, except you dont get 3m left, it's more like 1.5m or 2 at most (roughly)

ahh, you're saying there is a slight difference, gotcha.

I guess you could make tracks 1m wider, wouldn't hurt too bad considering we're already giving up allot of time just to make these tracks. Might as well make them more fun to drive if we can't get them 100% accurate. Presuming the next GT game has a track creator I imagine all these tracks will be re-created again in higher fidelity.

RL tracks generally fluctuate in width a bit, so getting 1m wider will work for some corners, and less for others. You'll have more run-off and less barrier as well. It'll be a different sort of compromise.

ahh, you're saying there is a slight difference, gotcha.

I guess you could make tracks 1m wider, wouldn't hurt too bad considering we're already giving up allot of time just to make these tracks. Might as well make them more fun to drive if we can't get them 100% accurate. Presuming the next GT game has a track creator I imagine all these tracks will be re-created again in higher fidelity.

RL tracks generally fluctuate in width a bit, so getting 1m wider will work for some corners, and less for others. You'll have more run-off and less barrier as well. It'll be a different sort of compromise.

Can't make it wider, that's the downfall of the int flag 2 trick. If a piece of track is int flag 0 or 1 then you can control the width,but if the piece of track is int flag 2 or 3 then it's stuck at 8m. But that's the only way to have 2x different track widths on a course

ha ha ha :) lol

Ha, solved it!

Zoom, fixed to cursor:

Code:
def zoomEvent(event):
    global zoom
    oldzoom = zoom
    zoomfactor = 1.05
    if event.delta <= -120:
        zoom /= zoomfactor
    elif event.delta >= 120:
        zoom *= zoomfactor
    if zoom > 10:
        zoom = 10
    elif zoom < 0.1:
        zoom = 0.1
    if abs(event.delta) >= 120:
        scrollregion()

#fix zoom to cursor position
        #1. Distance to top left corner (px)
        dx = 0-event.x
        dy = 0-event.y

#2. Position of cursor (m)
        cursor = Coordinate(w.canvasx(event.x)/oldzoom, w.canvasy(event.y)/oldzoom)

#3. Position of new top left corner (m)
        topleft = Coordinate(cursor.x+(dx/zoom), cursor.y+(dy/zoom))

#4. Calculate offset and topleft position as fraction of mapSize
        offset_x = mapSize/2
        offset_y = mapSize/2

topleft.x = float(topleft.x + offset_x)/mapSize
        topleft.y = float(topleft.y + offset_y)/mapSize

#5. Move the canvas
        w.xview_moveto(topleft.x)
        w.yview_moveto(topleft.y)

On another (sad) note, I have failed in my attempts to create the crossover on the S/F straight at my Monza 1960's track.
I've tried every known trick in the book but to no avail.

It truly is a sad day for the modding community :( lol

:( Very sad indeed.

It's time to discover more tricks to add to the book!

Playing around with int flags lol
20170212_185124.jpg

That looks really cool. The implications just with this is going to be huge!
It's got some really strange behaviour patterns though. So far I've worked out if you int flag 2, just 1 section it does nothing.
If you int flag 2, 2x sections in a row then you get a blend in / out effect.
if you int flag 2, 3x sections or more then you get a blend in, followed by the default width until you reach the blend out.
The effect you see in the picture above was made by doing int flag 2, int flag 0, int flag 2, int flag 0. You get the rest.

As you might have guessed.... I've returned to Monza lol.

It's got some really strange behaviour patterns though. So far I've worked out if you int flag 2, just 1 section it does nothing.
If you int flag 2, 2x sections in a row then you get a blend in / out effect.
if you int flag 2, 3x sections or more then you get a blend in, followed by the default width until you reach the blend out.
The effect you see in the picture above was made by doing int flag 2, int flag 0, int flag 2, int flag 0. You get the rest.

As you might have guessed.... I've returned to Monza lol.

I guess flag 2 could be used to make tight chicanes.

I also looked into the road width at Eifel and 1.8 meters is wide enough for a 1.6 meters wide car. If the offset is absolute you can just add 0.2 meters to the road width to get the width you want. I have a feeling that it might be relative though, so perhaps it needs to be multiplied by (1.8+0.2)/1.8, or roughly 1.1. It's hard to measure the road width though when it's much wider than a single car.

Course Layout creator, update 2017-02-13: Version 1.2 uploaded.
  • Flip the direction of the track by pressing <f>.
  • Limit scaling to a single axis: Press <x> or <y> while in scaling mode to scale only along that axis. Press the same key again to scale along both axes.
  • Mirror the selected points: Press <m> to toggle mirroring mode, then press <x> or <y> to mirror in that direction (x = left to right, y = up to down). The points are mirrored around the selection center.

I had this cartoony bridge (thin, curved underneath) appear in one of my stage tracks, but I don't know how to do that and it doesn't go over track. Didn't remember to take a picture yet.

What is the problem?

Also, how do you make the tunnels? I want to see if I can generate them automatically in the layout creator :)

Don't worry, it's me trying to be a perfectionist & getting the perfect replica.

Anyway's to make bridges & tunnels
1 = at your crossover point (the part which is going above) must be a reduced track in followed by reduced track out (no middle) this creates the arc over the road.
2 = try to arrange the road struct length so that the reduced track in / out meet in the middle of the track going underneath (so you have an equal arc going over your track)
3 = once centred reduce the length of the reduced track in / out to 20m - 30m (depending on how wide your track is going underneath) so that the bases of the arc are past the barriers.
4 = The height between the top road & bottom road at crossover point should be a minimum of 12m (give or take) otherwise the grass above pops through the circuit gate roof below.

I think I do 25m each for a 12m track, can't remember precisely but it's somewhere around that.

Now for the tunnel part (ctrl c, ctrl v on a keyboard is you best friend here) & the windows calculator :) lol

For Eifel & Eifel Flat.
A circuit gate is 100m, place these 3m apart roughly about 25x (depending on width of track above)

Example = 100-200, 103-203, 106-206, 109-209, 112-212.... you get the idea. Make sure you use the steps over track circuit gate.

For Andalusia
A circuit gate is 20m, place these 1.4m apart roughly 50x (depending on width of track above)

Example = 20-40, 21.4-41.4, 22.8-42.8, 24.2-44.2, 25.6-45.6.....same as above. Make sure you use circuit gate not rally gates.

Last edited:
Don't worry, it's me trying to be a perfectionist & getting the perfect replica.

Anyway's to make bridges & tunnels
1 = at your crossover point (the part which is going above) must be a reduced track in followed by reduced track out (no middle) this creates the arc over the road.
2 = try to arrange the road struct length so that the reduced track in / out meet in the middle of the track going underneath (so you have an equal arc going over your track)
3 = once centred reduce the length of the reduced track in / out to 20m - 30m (depending on how wide your track is going underneath) so that the bases of the arc are past the barriers.
4 = The height between the top road & bottom road at crossover point should be a minimum of 12m (give or take) otherwise the grass above pops through the circuit gate roof below.

I think I do 25m each for a 12m track, can't remember precisely but it's somewhere around that.

Now for the tunnel part (ctrl c, ctrl v on a keyboard is you best friend here) & the windows calculator :) lol

For Eifel & Eifel Flat.
A circuit gate is 100m, place these 3m apart roughly about 25x (depending on width of track above)

Example = 100-200, 103-203, 106-206, 109-209, 112-212.... you get the idea. Make sure you use the steps over track circuit gate.

For Andalusia
A circuit gate is 20m, place these 1.4m apart roughly 50x (depending on width of track above)

Example = 20-40, 21.4-41.4, 22.8-42.8, 24.2-44.2, 25.6-45.6.....same as above. Make sure you use circuit gate not rally gates.

Have you tried to stretch a gate to vary the looks up at all?

EDIT: @tarnheld I believe the ted file with no roads bug I ran into was due to the example file that loads by default not having roads. Tried to use it as a base for my latest trace and it did the same thing, so I reloaded and exported just that default file and it also has no roads.

EDIT 2: Also quite strange that when I used Sebring as a base, which I know has 77 roads atm, after removing all but 3 points the file still has 77 roads...

Last edited:

I've learned early before the Ted editor existed. That trying to create a real life track and make it accurate is harder than it sounds. It's better to focus on quality than accuracy. For me, it was easier to base your track on the terrain. So far, thanks to the Ted editor. We can create more accurate courses. Yet, I'm not sure how accurate you can create a course such as the road course at Summit Point Motorsports Park.
http://summitpoint-raceway.com/

Also, somehow, the servers on PSN kept my last track data I was trying to upload and save before my last PS3 quit on me (early to mid 2016).
I've uploaded it and saved it. Since it's been so long since I last worked on it, plus the HDD that had the original data crashed. I named it Lost Valley Road as it was built with the modded .apk that allowed canyons.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt6/user/#!/friend/Swift_13B/course/2343446/
If anyone wants to mod Lost Valley Road. They can.

Last edited:
EDIT: @tarnheld I believe the ted file with no roads bug I ran into was due to the example file that loads by default not having roads. Tried to use it as a base for my latest trace and it did the same thing, so I reloaded and exported just that default file and it also has no roads.

EDIT 2: Also quite strange that when I used Sebring as a base, which I know has 77 roads atm, after removing all but 3 points the file still has 77 roads...

You can't create tracks from scratch in the editor, you can only edit them. And as you discovered it doesn't change the number of roads, just the size of them.

You can however use the layout creator to make a track, as it creates a complete TED file, then load it in the editor. If you make the track about as long as you want the finished track to be, you get an appropriate number of roads.

I've learned early before the Ted editor existed. That trying to create a real life track and make it accurate is harder than it sounds. It's better to focus on quality than accuracy. For me, it was easier to base your track on the terrain. So far, thanks to the Ted editor. We can create more accurate courses. Yet, I'm not sure how accurate you can create a course such as the road course at Summit Point Motorsports Park.
http://summitpoint-raceway.com/

Also, somehow, the servers on PSN kept my last track data I was trying to upload and save before my last PS3 quit on me (early to mid 2016).
I've uploaded it and saved it. Since it's been so long since I last worked on it, plus the HDD that had the original data crashed. I named it Lost Valley Road as it was built with the modded .apk that allowed canyons.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt6/user/#!/friend/Swift_13B/course/2343446/
If anyone wants to mod Lost Valley Road. They can.

I agree, I learned allot about this track creation thing back when I was learning blender and modding Assetto Corsa. I gave up after realizing how unsatisfactory my track would look without re-making all the scenery in High-Poly. I did however Like the layout of the track and found it to flow well considering it too was low-poly.

Some things I learnt from track creation so far: having the right amount of banking on a turn, in relation to the speed you carry from the previous turn(also related to what type of car you plan on racing around the track; GT3? GT1? You have to pick your group before you even design the track)(not too much banking as to make it too easy and unrealistic), making sure the track isn't too flat(molding in some minor bumps, to give it better road feel and realism), making sure you have only a few blind corners and not a dozen, adding in turns that feed into one another that aid to either reduce the speed of a car or to increase speed of the car, whilst leading upto a key corner, linking corners into key scenery spots. etc. It just became a bit bigger of a project than I could manage at the time. I was too much of a perfectionist to actually finish it, considering I was also learning blender from practically scratch.

You can't create tracks from scratch in the editor, you can only edit them. And as you discovered it doesn't change the number of roads, just the size of them.

You can however use the layout creator to make a track, as it creates a complete TED file, then load it in the editor. If you make the track about as long as you want the finished track to be, you get an appropriate number of roads.

Really weird I never noticed that before. Roads are where I started with this modding adventure so shouldn't be a big deal to get it fixed up. Hopeful to have a decent representation of Gateway Motorsports Park ready by the end of the week.

@Grippy just read your review of my Oran Park track (thank you for the 5 stars) however you've probably got a million Aussie's ready to lynch you now because you got to be the only 1 I've met who don't like Oran Park lol :)

Also there's no point reviewing anything that hasn't got RM Edition after it as they're old & I've not got around to re-modding them yet.

Current projects are to redo Monza & Fiorano (the Italian invasion)

Last edited:

Before I go playing around has anyone tested the minimum/maximum number of road elements?

Back