Multi-monitor support in GT6?

• Thread starter Jope_Fin
  • 337 comments
The side windows can sometimes offer spectacular views, especially when cars are right next to you and you can see an animated driver and interesting interiors.

sidemtpanoramax4c_zps611221e1.jpg

sidemtpanoramax4a_zpsbe218e15.jpg

sidemtpanorama_zps27bf37c4.jpg

sidemtpanoramax4b_zps8f656237.jpg

Here's a drivers eye view pan of Mt Panorama.

mountpanoramapanorama_zps84b9a2ef.gif

Last edited:
The side windows can sometimes offer spectacular views, especially when cars are right next to you and you can see an animated driver and interesting interiors.

Here's a drivers eye view pan of Mt Panorama.

mountpanoramapanorama_zps84b9a2ef.gif

Very nice, looks like you have everything lined up perfectly. 👍 It seems like your monitors come in at a pretty sharp angle on the sides, almost boxing you in. I'd like to do mine this way, just need to build a deep platform for them because the surface they currently sit on doesn't allow me to pull them in that tight. I plan to remedy this soon though and it should be easy.

I really enjoy looking out the side windows and seeing the parts of the game/car/environment that we normally wouldn't get to see. It's especially cool when you can see the other driver. A buddy and I did a few quick laps in the shifter kart around Streets of Willow and it was very cool and intense, especially when he was right beside me and I could see his feet and hands moving in my peripheral vision.

I really enjoy looking out the side windows and seeing the parts of the game/car/environment that we normally wouldn't get to see. It's especially cool when you can see the other driver. A buddy and I did a few quick laps in the shifter kart around Streets of Willow and it was very cool and intense, especially when he was right beside me and I could see his feet and hands moving in my peripheral vision.

I know the perfect vehicle for this. The VW Schwimmwagen Typ 166 '42.

Great open cockpit for the best view, and with the PP dialed way down from the standard head-spinning, nausea-inducing pre-oil change 206, sedate enough to be able to enjoy the view safely.

I hope to be able to prove this theory in May. This is my birth year car vehicle!

Meanwhile, there's the Fiat 500. I just hope I didn't change the oil.

Very nice, looks like you have everything lined up perfectly. 👍 It seems like your monitors come in at a pretty sharp angle on the sides, almost boxing you in. I'd like to do mine this way, just need to build a deep platform for them because the surface they currently sit on doesn't allow me to pull them in that tight. I plan to remedy this soon though and it should be easy.

That Kart racing sounds really cool, I'll give it a go soon.
There's just so much that's new, every track offers unique views which you normally don't see.

Anyway, behind the scenes things don't look so pretty, but this weekend I have an old door which I will cut out a section for the wheel and have it so the angle of the screens can be changed on the fly, currently it's set to 120 deg, set by eye, when the lines are straight then it's good. Even tried 150 deg to get that closed in feeling, but it was too close and the cars that straddled the screens looked weird.

DSCF0131_zps479084b0.jpg

Btw I got 3x32 inch TV's online pretty cheap and the picture showed a nice small bezel, the box showed a nice small bezel, the bl**dy TV's have the small bezel PLUS a sloping piece and an extra 4 mm of black till the picture essentially an extra 7-8 mm over the "advertising", which added up to 28-32 extra mm that was BS to me, so I complained to people who didn't understand, but honestly I never even notice the 5% bezel and may just accept their weak offer of "compensation"

It's taking all my will-power and self control to not run out right now and buy two more 32" screens! I want I want I want! The downside is that I use my current 32" as my regular tv in that room so then I'd have to use one of the 23" screens for normal tv viewing and that's a bit small. Decisions, decisions!!

It's taking all my will-power and self control to not run out right now and buy two more 32" screens! I want I want I want! The downside is that I use my current 32" as my regular tv in that room so then I'd have to use one of the 23" screens for normal tv viewing and that's a bit small. Decisions, decisions!!

Yeah, go for it, 32 inches is the sweet point. I initially beg, borrowed and stole two 42 inch plasmas with a 40 inch lcd in the center and it was good but too big and it sucked a lot of juice, but 32 inches can be right in your face and cover your peripheral vision adequately at the same time.

Ahh. For me it's easier the other way, by doing the adjustments on the clients I can exit out to make changes on the fly without having to leave the track or lobby. It does mean I have to change two consoles instead of one but I do most of my racing online and this way I can still access the settings while in a room. 👍

Yes, I guess if you want to stay in the game or Replay while you try out adjustments, your Way is better..
But you do have to make the changes on Two PS3's instead of one..

Just for fun I tried this..
Center screen is Server and it's set to 3 x 1
I set the Left and Right to 5 X 1
Left is Screen 2
Right is Screen 4
Works the Same as 3 X 1

I then tried Left as screen 1
and right as screen 5

While The Blend from the Center to left or right is way off...
The Side Screen's now give you the View Much Farther back, and you can see cars that are approaching from behind. Well that are already in your interference zone..

So as long as the Center Screen is the Server.. It's just telling the Client Screens about Car data positions.
The Clients use their setting to figure out how to display the data...

And as I have done with GT5, I'm sure in GT6 you can set up other Clients..
If you Have a 4th PS3 and Screen..
You could set it up off to the side and make it Screen 2 in the 3 X 1 configuration.
It would be a duplicate of the middle Screen, that Others could watch on...

I tried it with the two Side Client screens, I then had Three Duplicates.. All screens set as 3 X 1 to Screen 2.

And using a Different View Width for the Sides also Works...
I have my Center screen Set to 100%
on One Side screen I set it to 75%
and on the Other I set it to 50%

A nice way to Compare what your will see so you can choose the Best Center view..

3Screens-001.jpg

I am convinced that the angle setting for Multi-Monitor is completely non-functional and always configures the screens to be 45 deg. from the center screen i.e. 90 for the parameter value.

This happened on GT5 as well, it's just taken me years to figure out what is wrong.

One of the best ways to test this is to observe the staging camera view at brands hatch. (when you are in the event but before you start the race) The view there makes it particularly noticeable if your physical screen positioning is deviating, because it is looking down the pit lane with a lot of vertical geometry to the immediate right and left.

I personally have my screens at about 65 degrees each from the center screen, which should mean the setting should look correct at 130.

However, when I set it to 130, the projection of the side screens is canted inward, which is consistent with the actual utilized value being about 90.

What's more, no matter what value I use, the projection always looks the same.

The only other possibility I can think of is that perhaps the parameter is only broken when the client PS3s are set to use the server's settings, that's how I am configured right now.

I'd like to hear some other opinions about this.

Last edited:
ara
3Screens-001.jpg

I am convinced that the angle setting for Multi-Monitor is completely non-functional and always configures the screens to be 45 deg. from the center screen i.e. 90 for the parameter value.

This happened on GT5 as well, it's just taken me years to figure out what is wrong.

One of the best ways to test this is to observe the staging camera view at brands hatch. (when you are in the event but before you start the race) The view there makes is particularly noticeable if your physical screen positioning is deviating, because it is looking down the pit lane with a lot of vertical geometry to the immediate right and left.

I personally have my screens at about 65 degrees each from the center screen, which should mean the setting should look correct at 130.

However, when I set it to 130, the projection of the side screens is canted inward, which is consistent with the actual utilized value being about 90.

What's more, no matter what value I use, the projection always looks the same.

The only other possibility I can think of is that perhaps the parameter is only broken when the client PS3s are set to use the server's settings, that's how I am configured right now.

I'd like to hear some other opinions about this.

No, The Angle of Screen Curvature is quite Accurate and it does Change.
The View on the Center Screen Does not change with the Angle of Curvature.
The Side Client Screens, will Always Connect at the same place, but the Skew of the View is based off the Angle of Curvature.

Try this.. us a car with a good Cockpit View and Side Mirrors.
Place a Piece of Tape, where there is a distinct Feature Such as Window Pillar, or Mirror arm..

Then Make a change to the Angle, and see where the Feature is Now.. ( change it by 15 degrees )

The Center screen View is controlled by the Angle of the view %

Here are some sample Pics.. The Angle of View was 100%
http://1drv.ms/1fAeMSz

notice how the Center Screen, and the Side Screens always Line Up, but the Skewed amount of the View is what changes.

Didnt last long then... :lol:

Where as I am trying everything within my power to make it happy.:P

With the help of two young Maine Coon cats, the triple screen is up and running.

Just 🤬 awesome!

Even the demo mode stretches across the screens!
The high altitude replay cameras at Bathurst present a magnificent vista!
The interior 1 and 2 replay cameras are spectacular.
Oh, and the driving experience, yes, almost forgot about that!

I have noticed that on replays the client screens can take a while to kick in. I suspect that this is because the assets have not been installed yet on the new PS3s. Trying a replay on the same track afterward shows a much faster client screen startup.

This a much better multi-screen experience than I have had with Forza and I loved that!

Thanks everyone for advice, guidance and encouragement.

I wanted to find out if it's worth adding the Other 2 side clients for the 5 x 1 set up..
How can I tell if these views are worth the extra investment..
I only have 3 PS3's and 3 screens...

Here's what i did...

I set my Left most screen up as the Server in a 5 x 1
Then my Middle screen is a client and set to screen 4
My Right most screen is a client and set to screen 5

This let me see the Right Side of the 5 X 1

Started up a Replay...

and yes, the Extra screen really adds to the overall experience..

I then repeated the test with the Right Most Screen as the Server so I could experience the Left Side of the 5 x 1
Middle screen set to screen 2
left most screen a client set to screen 1

Yep, I think it's worth it...

Dang it, Now I have to save up for 2 more PS3's and two more 32 inch screens..

You don't know what your missing until you get to see it...

now I gotta have it..

So there you Go.. Give it a try and see for yourself...
Some Pics will follow...

Unfortunatley for me i will struggle to make room for a triple screen setup, let alone 5!

I did some testing with two screens, and have the bug to make it 3, along with riding on the wave of others excitement, really have to make this happen.

But this is gonna require a new rig that is more like a transformer!... "Racing Rig in Disguise" :)

Look forward to seeing pics & vids.

Unfortunatley for me i will struggle to make room for a triple screen setup, let alone 5!

I did some testing with two screens, and have the bug to make it 3, along with riding on the wave of others excitement, really have to make this happen.

But this is gonna require a new rig that is more like a transformer!... "Racing Rig in Disguise" :)

Look forward to seeing pics & vids.

Right-View-5-screens-002.jpg

Sample Video Here

Some Pics Here
http://1drv.ms/1iYNzkl

@WyldAniaml that is truly awesome, does it not feel a little distorted? i.e. the side window is bigger than the windshield! How does it look if you swap the FOV (Normal, Narrow, Narrowest)?

Still Cool though 👍

@WyldAniaml that is truly awesome, does it not feel a little distorted? i.e. the side window is bigger than the windshield! How does it look if you swap the FOV (Normal, Narrow, Narrowest)?

Still Cool though 👍

@WyldAniaml

It might be that the angle of screen curvature could be tweaked to reduce this effect. I'm still fine tuning mine, and I did find that increasing from 60 degrees to 90 reduced the "stretched" feeling. I'm no expert!

Edit: Looks like a great setup for Ovals so long as you stay on the high side!

@WyldAniaml

It might be that the angle of screen curvature could be tweaked to reduce this effect. I'm still fine tuning mine, and I did find that increasing from 60 degrees to 90 reduced the "stretched" feeling. I'm no expert!

Edit: Looks like a great setup for Ovals so long as you stay on the high side!

The Picture is a Flattened view of the screens.
when I sit in the Seat, the screen FOV looks properly proportion in my Field of View.

But I used my Cell phone, and took a photo facing Each Screen.
then cropped it to the proper 1920 x 1080 proportions, and composited into a Flat image.

So the sides screen look a little stretched that way..

But when Sitting within the Screen arrangement, they look correct.

As much as I do want to add the other two screens, it will take me a while to save up to get them..
but for any of you guys/gals that have the budget to do it.. Go for it,
It really adds that extra level of simulation.

@WyldAniaml, I think what may be happening here is what I have done too. We don't have our seating position exactly where it should be relative to the monitors.

Ideally, the eye should see each screen at 90 degrees, in which case, the projected image should not require a "stretch" to make it look right. In the diagram below which I plagiarized from another poster, if the eyes are at the intersection of the four dotted lines at the bottom of the diagram, there would be no need for a perspective distortion.

What do you think?

I have got mine to look how I like it but mostly via trial and error.

3Screens-001.jpg

@WyldAniaml, I think what may be happening here is what I have done too. We don't have our seating position exactly where it should be relative to the monitors.

Ideally, the eye should see each screen at 90 degrees, in which case, the projected image should not require a "stretch" to make it look right. In the diagram below which I plagiarized from another poster, if the eyes are at the intersection of the four dotted lines at the bottom of the diagram, there would be no need for a perspective distortion.

What do you think?

I have got mine to look how I like it but mostly via trial and error.

3Screens-001.jpg

I don't feel like I've ever got mine to line up 100% perfect in GT5 or GT6 but I get it about 98-99% which is good enough for me. I don't measure angles or distances, I have a pre-defined space it all has to fit into (which is much less flexible after upgrading to 32" screens) so I just set it up and fiddle with the settings until it looks good. As long as nothing feels "odd" when I'm driving I'm satisfied with it. Switching to the larger screens made my angles on the side much sharper so I've had to spend a bit of time tweaking, I could spend hours and hours tweaking but eventually I just say "good enough!" and start hooning. 👍

I believe there is a necessary distortion side effect that comes from the fact that you are approximating a curved projection with three flat planes.

This distortion gets worse with the bigger angle you use, even though I prefer as big an angle as needed to get the edges of the screens to go to the edges of your peripheral vision. That way you can see more to your immediate left and right, versus a small angle that has almost no distortion but only gives you effectively a 'wider' view of the front.

In addition, I believe your head must be positioned looking at the horizontal and vertical center to minimize perceived distortion. If you are looking from above or below it will not look as good.

Back