Multi-monitor support in GT6?

• Thread starter Jope_Fin
  • 337 comments
This is one of my Favorite cars if all time... :bowdown:

Damn you with your triple screen goodness... ;)

Here, have another. GTO. :P

image.jpg

Here is my 3 Screen setup. ( all screens are 32" with a 1/2 bezel, bezels are overlapped giving me a 2% to 3% bezel width )
I sit about 24"-30" away from the Front Screen. My peripheral vision is about 140 degrees, so I can
see about 2/3rds of the Side screen with out turning my head.
With My screens at 130 degree ( 180 degree would be flat on the wall ) it gives a 110 included angle.
and that is what I found works best in the setup too. 110 degree.
When I sit in my chair, I don't notice any side screen Distortion.
My field of view is set to 100%

3-screens.jpg

If and When I do add the other two screens, from my calculations, I will move back to 36" to 40" away.
My screens will be 150 degree instead of the 130 degree. giving me an Included angle of 60.
With my 140 degree of peripheral vision, I'll be able to see about 1/3rd of the side screens without any noticed distortion.

5-screens.jpg

Your project seems nice ! It is well explained with your diagrams.

... I will move back to 36" to 40" away...

The only problem I can see with a 5 screens setup is the distance between your eyes and the center screen. At the same time your horizontal field of view will be better, your vertical field of view will be worse...

I shouldn't have looked here .... guys (@Gejabo @mr_van79 ) look at this !!! Great !!!
I shouldn't have looked here
I shouldn't have looked here:ouch:

Lucky for me Sony announced THIS! ...
I'll wait another 6 months to see where that's heading before returning to this thread ...

But enjoy! guys your multi-monitor setups look awesome !!!

Here's a success story to share with you about today's experiences of GT with three screens. It's GT5, not 6, but the principle holds.

For many weeks, I've been "rejoicing" a particular PP650 car around the Nordschleife in a seasonal, because some generous PD soul decided to pay me a million credits each time I win. (BTW some may call it "grinding", I prefer "rejoicing"!)

On the single screen, way back, I started off at a lap time of about 6:30 to 6:35. After many, many, many laps (over 30 in this event in this car), I was able to get it down to 6:24 or 6:25 consistently, despite the presence of the AI cars. But never below 6:24. That was my new plateau, and it wasn't going to budge.

Today, I quickly hit 6:22. The fourth attempt on the triple screen setup saw 6:18. That's a 1.5% reduction in lap time! Color me happy! Another five grin day! :D:D:D:D:D

Here's a success story to share with you about today's experiences of GT with three screens. It's GT5, not 6, but the principle holds.

For many weeks, I've been "rejoicing" a particular PP650 car around the Nordschleife in a seasonal, because some generous PD soul decided to pay me a million credits each time I win. (BTW some may call it "grinding", I prefer "rejoicing"!)

One of the things I really like about GT5 myself!!!!!!!! 👍 👍 👍
Congrats on your time improvement too, triples are so tempting...

Last edited:

On the single screen, way back, I started off at a lap time of about 6:30 to 6:35. After many, many, many laps (over 30 in this event in this car), I was able to get it down to 6:24 or 6:25 consistently, despite the presence of the AI cars. But never below 6:24. That was my new plateau, and it wasn't going to budge.

Today, I quickly hit 6:22. The fourth attempt on the triple screen setup saw 6:18. That's a 1.5% reduction in lap time! Color me happy! Another five grin day! :D:D:D:D:D

I can't Say that having the Multi-Screen setup has made me a better or faster Driver in any way.
But It HAS increased the Simulation Aspect..
Anyone who has experienced Multi-Screen, knows what i mean..

When GT6 was first released, I was so disappointing that I had to go back to just a Single screen..
I'd load up GT5 whenever I could, just to have Multi-Screen..
But that was Messing me up, since the Driving physics were so Different..

I ended up, not going back to GT5..

So I was SO HAPPY when 1.05 and Multi-Screen was released. WOO HOO...
Has it made me a Better Driver? I don't know..
Has it made the Game more FUN? YES! without a doubt!

My List of GT5 / GT6 game Changers..
Things that Increase the Simulation aspect of the Game.

1) Wheel, Pedals and Shifter. Without question, this is Number one.

2) driving rig.. Seat, Wheel, and Screen - A comfortable driving position Makes a huge Difference.

3) Surround Sound and Sub Woofer ( set In game sounds down to about 80 ) turn up the level of the Sound system.
GT has an Audio cut off built in. If a Sound Exceeds some set Limit, it Cuts out..
So if you have the In Game Sound Cranked up to 100 or 120. I found that they would CUT out Often..
Setting them Down Lower, I don't get any Cut outs.
I just Boost the Sound system volume to compensate. With the LFE going to the Sub, all of the Sounds are MUCH better. GT actually Sounds pretty Good...

Sound for Me Is more Important the Screen Size or even Multi-Monitor when it comes to Increasing the Simulation of the GAME. play a replay.. Close your Eyes... Can you hear where the Cars are? I can tell without seeing them just from the sounds..

4&5) Tactile Transducer and Amp. Mounted under the Seat so you can Feel the Game.. Every Rumble, Bump and Curb.
I now have two, one for the Left Channel, and One for the Right Channel.

Why 4&5?
I added these two elements at the same time.. So I weight them in around the same..
I wouldn't give up either one of them though. Equally just as important.

4&5) Multi-Screen - This Completed the Simulation Experience

6) 3D - I have a 27" 3D monitor (LG with Passive Glasses) Very nice Depth, but the Smaller Screen Size, and Loss of the Two Side screens made the Choice for Me.. Multi-Screen over 3D.

I have a question about the multi-monitor compatibility. I've asked this question before but how many users are really utilizing this feature? Don't get me wrong but it should have been implemented when the game was released, but I don't see a large percentage of the GT6 community buying extra equipment & using this to its greatest capacity. PC gamers yes, but not PS3 console users.

FYI, to the ones that have I show nothing but nothing but respect. You folks are the ones that make this community great.

I have a question about the multi-monitor compatibility. I've asked this question before but how many users are really utilizing this feature? Don't get me wrong but it should have been implemented when the game was released, but I don't see a large percentage of the GT6 community buying extra equipment & using this to its greatest capacity. PC gamers yes, but not PS3 console users.

FYI, to the ones that have I show nothing but nothing but respect. You folks are the ones that make this community great.

I agree with @BrandonW77. It's a small, but passionate community both here and in Forza-land.

After all, you have to have a lot of passion tinged with craziness to buy three consoles, three monitors, three copies of the game (sort of), a surround sound system with options such as subwoofer and ButtKicker, and devote a very large chunk of space to a play-cave. Yep. Crazy.

Typically, the setup is not used for regular single-screen gaming, since the monitors are not seen to be large enough for games such as Skyrim, where you want a massive screen to enjoy the scenery. Of course, three 60 inch monitors would allow for coexistence! Most of us just don't have that budget or space.

Anyway to have a plan to spend what is required on multiscreen means that we intend to get our mileage out of the investment (pun intended!).

It's a small percentage of the population which can be described as above. Simple craziness is not sufficient.

EDIT: I didn't mention the wheel. That's the good news. You don't need three of them!

Last edited:

So you already have 1 PS3, and a Screen...

If you Plan and save, or As I did - put it on LayAway, the investment isn't as painful as most think..
Used PS3's are 180-210
32" Screens 190-250
So for around $1000 you'll have your 3 screen MultiScreen

And Consider that you Will use this for about 2 years, that's a small investment for the Enjoyment time.

There are Far more Hobbies, that over the same amount of time would cost a whole lot more.

But I have to Agree, the Percentage of Gamers with Multi Screen, is a very small percentage.

I've been using mine for seven years or thereabouts. Forza until late last year, now GT.

A good investment!

hello,

does the multi monitor mode in online lobbies / rooms online? how well is it still the picture, participants with 10 or more?

told her maybe a short video?

greeting willi

hello,

does the multi monitor mode in online lobbies / rooms online? how well is it still the picture, participants with 10 or more?

told her maybe a short video?

greeting willi

Yes, it all works fine in online rooms and the number of people in the room has no effect on performance. 👍

For people thinking about buying used PS3's to make a triple screen system I would advise against it especially from places like eBay. I have bought used Xbox's and PS3's on eBay and none of them lasted very long. I did not follow my own advise recently and bought a used 250GB Super Slim off eBay to use for triple screen, but it was total junk and I have no way to get my money back.

Besides, the prices they go for on eBay are not all that much cheaper than new ones anyways. Be better to buy a used hard drive and just get the PS3 12GB version new at $199.99 instead.

Besides, the prices they go for on eBay are not all that much cheaper than new ones anyways. Be better to buy a used hard drive and just get the PS3 12GB version new at $199.99 instead.

When I shopped for mine I found used ones were pretty much 90-95% the cost of new ones. So I just found a local retailer that had new ones on sale (I think $220USD for 160gb slim) and bought myself a little piece of mind. 👍

If at first you notice that the load times on the client are not as fast as on the server, here is a potential cure.

Tell the game to instal all the "files".

Then, let the system run in "Demo" mode for several hours. As the clients are required to pull in "new" tracks, they will instal them on their hard drives. Eventually, all the assets will have been installed.

My three screens all pop into play within 2 or 3 seconds of each other.

If at first you notice that the load times on the client are not as fast as on the server, here is a potential cure.

Tell the game to instal all the "files".

Then, let the system run in "Demo" mode for several hours. As the clients are required to pull in "new" tracks, they will instal them on their hard drives. Eventually, all the assets will have been installed.

My three screens all pop into play within 2 or 3 seconds of each other.

Would not doing this have any effect on others being able to connect?

Hmm. Then why would I not be able to connect to someone's lobby while he is running multi screen, then, when he disables it, I could?

Would not doing this have any effect on others being able to connect?

Here is my guess.

When an online host changes the track, the whole system waits until all members of the lobby have the track loaded. If any members have a multi-screen setup, it's possible or even probable that the multi-screen server will wait to report "ready" until all attached clients report "ready".

So it may slow down the members of the lobby at that time. I can't see it causing an actual "failure" to connect.

By the time I tried using this system online, my clients were both ready to go as fast as the server, so I have yet to experience the slightest ill effects of triple-screen.

Possum, Think you've already seen my post in another thread regarding this issue. Whenever he opens a lobby with server mode running, I get no signal bars and it fails to connect with the incompatible host error. Soon as he shuts down server mode, I get 3 bars of signal and can connect.

Hmm. Then why would I not be able to connect to someone's lobby while he is running multi screen, then, when he disables it, I could?

Possum, Think you've already seen my post in another thread regarding this issue. Whenever he opens a lobby with server mode running, I get no signal bars and it fails to connect with the incompatible host error. Soon as he shuts down server mode, I get 3 bars of signal and can connect.

Is he using wifi for any network connections? The clients are not talking over the internet, but they are in conversation with the server, and the server is in conversation with your system. If his server is using wifi, or even worse, if all his PS3s are using wifi, then the server wifi port will be very busy. The PS3 wifi port is very slow in my experience, whereas the wired port is very fast. (That's according to the PS3's own measurement of upload and download speeds.)

I also read @VBR's set of rules at https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...manently-cancelled.190899/page-2#post-5345332 and follow them religiously.

It may not actually be a black and white situation that multi-screen kills the lobby, it may be that the added load on his busy network pushes it over the edge in this particular case. Another factor in the equation is your friend's internet connection speed.

That is odd, and Possum's theory is reasonable sound. I've hosted many online rooms with people as far away as Australia and nobody has mentioned any issues since I got the trips.

Latest Posts

Back