New penalty system opinions and valuation. POLL

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 14 comments

If there is an issue with penalties, which of these is the most common?

• Penalty issued too lightly

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Penalty not issued lightly enough

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Penalty issued towards wrong participant

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • Penalties too short/long compared to fault

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No problems - absolutely peachy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Finland
Finland
HI-tauer
I thought there was already a conversation dedicated to this, but couldnt find one. Please post videos of the insidents if possible. Poll is here to help gather worst issues.

Posting mine here too..

Drove three races in sports mode and the penalties just dont work for me. Seems to me due to light contact not being penalized people dive in a lot more agressively, and sadly instead of small penalty for the diver theres huge penalty for the one on the outside. :indiff: Lost 3000dr and 20sr in three races..

On both of these occasions I got 10 sec penalty and the rest were not penalized. One was understandably hard to recognize for the game as I spun the car in front - but he was slowing down due to spin where he was supposed to accelerate.. :rolleyes: Bad luck i guess..

Second one is beyond me. Once again one car going in and other left out, but there was only light touches and I was the only one to get penalty. 10 seconds! :odd:

Seems being cautious doesent work anymore and out-in-out line is a huge risk in race. Have to try more aggressive style and blocking or stop trying. 🤬 For me the old penalty system worked fine..

Last edited:
The title of the poll is "If there are any issues with the penalty system". It's not asking if you like it or not, it's asking what are the issues you encountered with it. Not answering means you find no issues with the system

The thing with the penalty system is not that something is too light or too strong. The core system is not good, see how many times they tweaked it, tried to balance, and every single time, the goal has not been achieved. It looks like they don't differentiate different kinds of contacts that much. Also, they should focus more on changing the SR system, give it more range, and make it way longer to get it back by just driving alone in front of people 8 seconds a lap slower than you. Punish contacts SR wise, but reward clean battles, and reward giving position back more. Having one bad thing happening by mistake shouldn't throw you to a lower SR rank. Getting demoted to a lower SR rank shouldn't be something you recover from in 40 minutes.

I suggested to make a “fake” damage model and connect the penalty system to the amount of damage. Heavy damage means heavy penalty. Light damage means light penalty.

As regard to the SR: the idea of lowering your SR because of bad behavior and being set back in DR because of it is in essence the cause of the problem. Once you go down in SR you are usually put amongst players that are slower than you thus gaining the SR back driving on top.

Despite not being easy, a system can be made to prevent this. Gaining SR below your average level should count less strong. Also they need to separate SR S more starting it from 90 and making it more difficult to gain that last peace of SR.

I'm still getting 10 sec penalties from other people screwing up with no where to go, yet I also see people bumping cars off the track and not get anything for it. Accidentally hit a car spinning out = penalty, bump a car off the road = ok! Just don't be the one driving behind the car that just got bumped off the road and comes back sideways :/

It would be nice if SR.S was more strict for keeping the car on the road to start with. That would prevent a lot of secondary accidents. In SR.S you should not be crashing anymore. Then again, that's how I gain most of my positions without qualifying... My ratio of passing vs drive by a car in the ditch on Nord today is 1:10. Max SR should stay on the road!

Perhaps add SR Down for leaving the road at SR.S as well.

Where's the parity in the polling options? Or are you just looking for a negative result?

The title of the poll is "If there are any issues with the penalty system". It's not asking if you like it or not, it's asking what are the issues you encountered with it. Not answering means you find no issues with the system

Exactly :cheers:

Wondering if i should add "does it work" poll also, to see the general satisfaction on the system.

This is a big big part of sport mode and yet the conversation is scattered around the forum. I think there should be a place to put all this together..

Exactly :cheers:

Wondering if i should add "does it work" poll also, to see the general satisfaction on the system.

This is a big big part of sport mode and yet the conversation is scattered around the forum. I think there should be a place to put all this together..
Add the option of "I have no issues with the penalty system" :) it also answers whether or not it works, as people who vote that they have no issues are most likely the ones who also think it works

The problem though is that people complain about penalties just about everywhere. There's 4 threads for this already (one's dead) but people still complain about them in other threads

From the thread title I feared another troll poll, but given the question I think the choices are good :)

Perhaps add SR Down for leaving the road at SR.S as well.

Well it used to be that off-roading would mean no +SR for the sector, but now they've linked -SR to penalty judgement I don't know how much that has changed the effective weighting of off-road.

From the thread title I feared another troll poll, but given the question I think the choices are good :)

Well it used to be that off-roading would mean no +SR for the sector, but now they've linked -SR to penalty judgement I don't know how much that has changed the effective weighting of off-road.

Going off-road once is insignificant in the long run. There are so many sectors in a daily C. For example Nordschleife 3 laps yesterday, that's 33 sectors. It wasn't worth 33 SR for a clean race, perhaps half. So for crashing you miss out on half an SR point. While your crash can cause someone else to get a 10 sec penalty and lose 10 SR or perhaps even more.

Last night in SR.S it was very common to see people in the backfield crash 5 times or more in the race. That's not a lot of SR missed out on, yet a whole lot of opportunities to cause chaos. A little scrape on the pit wall at pit entry gives you SR Down, should be the same for leaving the track and touching walls. When people take a little less risks and keep their car more under control, racing will be cleaner. Or people taking too much risk will find themselves in SR.A or lower instead of SR.S

All roads lead back to fault detection. A penalty system that does not sufficiently determine driver fault is never going to be respected and opens up a host of other problems. This is still PD's first and major hurdle...

Back