New videos from the Nürburgring (Read the 1st post!)

  • Thread starter Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 714 comments
  • 74,051 views
On the subject of eye strain... I can vouch that sitting too close to the screen results in a rapid deteriation in your eyesight.

Between 2005 and 2006 my eyesight went from pretty much 20/20 to completely blurred. I put this down to sitting within a metre of my TV when playing Gran Turismo 4 (The TV is small, only 13" I think - But its ancient, its not an LCD or anything).

Newer TVs, particularly flat screens/LCDs/Plasmas etc. don't damage your eyes as much as the old convex display CRT type screens did (For reasons i'm not completely aware of).
 
Nice video. Loving the hood cam! 👍 Seems they loved it too looking at how long they spent in that view.
 
Gran Turismo hasn't always ran in such high resolutions, or had so many cars on track. Funny that, yet it still managed to be the most successful console racing franchise.

That resolution hasn't always been available, and that is besides the point, and you should understand that.

If the GT developers thought like you, like other less successful racing games developers, it wouldn't be what it is, a racing game that is much more than just cars and tracks.
 
The 'ring looks fantastic, but the lack of some small details irks me,
especially because most of them cannot be hard to implement.

Skidmarks - They've been around for way over 10 years, there's no reason to not make them. And there should be some marks left at gravel/grass too.
Reverse lights - Just like brake lights, only white and in slightly different place.
 
Is anybody else completely shocked that there's some actually decent driving in these videos? Thats the one thing that stood out for me the most lol, I mean apart from the updated graphics and everything.
 
That resolution hasn't always been available, and that is besides the point, and you should understand that.
No, it is not besides the point, because it was entirely my point.

If the GT developers thought like you, like other less successful racing games developers, it wouldn't be what it is, a racing game that is much more than just cars and tracks.
Hmmm, did I say that GT was only about the cars and the tracks? The implication was quite the opposite, but here you are, twisting things around like you normally do.

I simply said that if it ran in 720p, had 12 cars instead of 16, maintained 60fps and included a lot more of the details people reasonably expect, it would not be detrimental to the series. If you think that doing such a thing would make the game less successful, I would love to hear your explanation as to why. By all accounts, last time I checked that was double the number of cars we've ever seen on track in any previous full release, at a higher resolution (not counting the crappy 1080i mode in GT4), and would come with all of the scale and beauty we have come to learn of today.

I get the impression you are only saying what you are because we have seen it in 1280 x 1080 with 16 cars, and now you think anything less is unacceptable. Quite often, less is more.
 
Is anybody else completely shocked that there's some actually decent driving in these videos? Thats the one thing that stood out for me the most lol, I mean apart from the updated graphics and everything.

Maybe it's due to the fact it was at the Nurburgring 24hour event visited by true petrolheads instead of a few casual gamers at a gaming event.
Not claiming btw that being a petrolhead automatically makes you a superior driver ( I'm not anyway........).:)
 
Edit nevermind.
 
I simply said that if it ran in 720p, had 12 cars instead of 16, maintained 60fps and included a lot more of the details people reasonably expect, it would not be detrimental to the series. If you think that doing such a thing would make the game less successful, I would love to hear your explanation as to why.

Like I have said 3 times already, you think like the developers of EVERY other racing game, and they are not as successful, YET you are telling the makers of the most successful racing series what to do...

Now, you tell me why you and those other games aren't as successful as GT.
 
Maybe it's due to the fact it was at the Nurburgring 24hour event visited by true petrolheads instead of a few casual gamers at a gaming event.
Not claiming btw that being a petrolhead automatically makes you a superior driver ( I'm not anyway........).:)

Yeah that's true, it's just refreshing to see I suppose.:)
 
Like I have said 3 times already, you think like the developers of EVERY other racing game, and they are not as successful, YET you are telling the PD, the most successful racing series, what to do...

Now, you tell me why you and those other games aren't as successful as GT.
Oh dear... :dunce: You ever thought, even for once, that perhaps PD also copies ideas from other (less:rolleyes:) successful racing games?
 
Last edited:
Oh dear... :dunce: You ever thought, even for once, that perhaps PD also copies ideas from other (less:rolleyes:) successful racing games?

Of course, but that isn't what we were talking about. :dunce:
 
This game looks really impossible good! The ring looks so fantastic, I´m very impressed!
 
I'm happy every time a new video comes available, and 20 minutes ago "Man Furismo Jive" .
My day is good! And damnnn I can't wait for the ring!
 
Of course, but that isn't what we were talking about. :dunce:
Yes we are, because you seem to think that PD can do no wrong. God forbid if they took ideas from other developers. :rolleyes:

If Gran Turismo had no competition, I'm sure it would stagnate just like the Need for Speed series has. IMO, this was already somewhat apparent in GT4. I dare say if it wasn't for Forza and other racing games, GT5 wouldn't be half as good.
 
You are right about being forced to do it due to 1080p being a huge selling point over Xbox 360,
The detail resolution has been one of the priorities and goals of PD since the early days, now is one of the main priority like the 60fps.

Remember the Hi-Res HI-FI mode in GT1 or the 1080i in GT4, GT5 no doubt will be 1080p it's a natural progression. During the GT4 development kaz spoke in an interview about the future of the franchise with PS3 and said the detail achieved in future HDTV screens will make a big difference in the perception of the simulated experienced.

They always have been open to modern technology and innovation, remember the GT5 demos at 240fps, 2160p, the x6 multiscreen support in GT3, the GT3 subaru demo cockpits with actuators, etc... even they produced an early 3D helmet demo with GT4P in 2004.
 
Like I have said 3 times already, you think like the developers of EVERY other racing game, and they are not as successful, YET you are telling the makers of the most successful racing series what to do...

Now, you tell me why you and those other games aren't as successful as GT.
Answering a question with a question eh? It might help if you took the time to read and understand what was written previously without adding your own twists and interpretations into the mix.

Maybe you are playing dumb, but the ENTIRE point of what I've been saying is that the success of Gran Turismo has not simply been down to the number of cars on track and the resolution it runs in. However, IF they had stuck with 720p and limited the on-track car count to 12, they would have had additional head room to include even more details into the game, further enhancing the experience.

So, I'll ask you again, all things being equal in terms of scale, presentation, physics etc., how would limiting the game to 720p and 12 cars on track, but adding more subtle details, make the game any less successful?

@Antti-san, it's not worth it mate - I'm no angel when it comes to arguments around here, but at least I'm consistent in what I say thoughout them. IsmokeGT is renowned for twisting things around and sending things off in different directions to satisfy his own opinion.

The detail resolution has been one of the priorities and goals of PD since the early days, now is one of the main priority like the 60fps.

Remember the Hi-Res HI-FI mode in GT1 or the 1080i in GT4, GT5 no doubt will be 1080p it's a natural progression. During the GT4 development kaz spoke in an interview about the future of the franchise with PS3 and said the detail achieved in future HDTV screens will make a big difference in the perception of the simulated experienced.

They always have been open to modern technology and innovation, remember the GT5 demos at 240fps, 2160p, the x6 multiscreen support in GT3, the GT3 subaru demo cockpits with actuators, etc... even they produced an early 3D helmet demo with GT4P in 2004.
Yeah, I remember those, and you are right, they have gunned for the higher resolutions from the word go. There is no doubt the final game will support 1080p, even if it's just upscaled from 1280 x 1080. Surely though, as a developer there has to come a point where the skewed view of what makes something perfect has to become broader, because not having skidmarks may seem trivial, but that's the whole point...if they are so trivial, why leave them out? Same with reverse lights and other small things.

Anyways, I think we are starting to beat a dead horse here. The problem of what to focus on more will continue to exist no matter how pwerful the platform, at least over the next few generations. Regarding GT5, it is what it is, I think it looks fantastic, and I can't want to get my hands on it!
 
Maybe you are playing dumb, but the ENTIRE point of what I've been saying is that the success of Gran Turismo has not simply been down to the number of cars on track and the resolution it runs in. However, IF they had stuck with 720p and limited the on-track car count to 12, they would have had additional head room to include even more details into the game, further enhancing the experience.

You are playing smart, but if PD were to break their tradition of producing the kind of game that they have produced for 10 years then they wouldn't be a success (please don't make me hold your hand through the quality of games PD has produced since it's inception). So, if PD were to run a game on a PS3 at less than 1080P and less than 60fps then they would break that tradition, and their series would not be a success. So, yes, the success of GT5 depends on it running at 60fps with 1080p resolution.
 
Surely though, as a developer there has to come a point where the skewed view of what makes something perfect has to become broader, because not having skidmarks may seem trivial, but that's the whole point...if they are so trivial, why leave them out? Same with reverse lights and other small things.
Limited hadrdware resources, time and priorities.

You can put 10 minor things or put all the same time and resources an make only one but more important for your game.

Why do you think Kaz never is happy when he finish a game? he always want more than the hardware or development time can achieve, many of the features of GT5 were spoken in the past during the GT4 development.
 
You are playing smart, but if PD were to break their tradition of producing the kind of game that they have produced for 10 years then they wouldn't be a success (please don't make me hold your hand through the quality of games PD has produced since it's inception). So, if PD were to run a game on a PS3 at less than 1080P and less than 60fps then they would break that tradition, and their series would not be a success. So, yes, the success of GT5 depends on it running at 60fps with 1080p resolution.
I'm not playing smart at all, I'm just re-iterating what I've been saying all along. Besides, I never said reduce the frame rate, I said maintan 60fps, and if we are being pedantic, PD have never had a racing game that runs in true 1080p resolution.

Now we seem to be discussing things rationally, I'll add that I fully agree, the game has to run at the resolution we have been shown or it's image and reception will suffer to some degree. However, I know that even you would agree that if all we had been shown all along was 720p footage with 12 cars on track at once, we'd all be just as happy (give or take a few small details maybe!) as we are now. We are only having this debate because of how things are, and I know that can't be changed - that's the beauty of theories, because they can be!

Limited hadrdware resources, time and priorities.

You can put 10 minor things or put all the same time and resources an make only one but more important for your game.

Why do you think Kaz never is happy when he finish a game? he always want more than the hardware or development time can achieve, many of the features of GT5 were spoken in the past during the GT4 development.
Sure, which is why I said there will always be (for the next few generations at least) the problem of what to focus on. However, we are not talking about 10 minor things here, we are talking about skid marks and working reverse lights usually, and please don't tell me the PS3 wouldn't at least have the resurces left to make those lights glow!

I know Kaz is never happy, few developers usually are, and not just games developers. As somebody who used to develop web-based applications, I could tweak and tweak and tweak all day if I were allowed to. Only thing is, I was limited by customers and timescales that mattered.
 
Sure, which is why I said there will always be (for the next few generations at least) the problem of what to focus on. However, we are not talking about 10 minor things here, we are talking about skid marks and working reverse lights usually, and please don't tell me the PS3 wouldn't at least have the resurces left to make those lights glow!
Priorities again, even the minor things multiplied x1000 can take a great portion of time. Rear lights or 4 more cars?

I imagine they will have a big board with all the main priorities listed followed by the lesser things, the problem is that until the main priorities are not done and polished up to they standards most of the minor things would not be considered.
 
Gotta love the constant wave of complaints. My only question to those that place a microscope on anything GT5 related is..

How do you play video games?

Last time I checked, every game, on every system has some flaws and issues.
 
Gotta love the constant wave of complaints. My only question to those that place a microscope on anything GT5 related is..

How do you play video games?

Last time I checked, every game, on every system has some flaws and issues.



They don't play games, they just nitpick them to death!:sly:




:grumpy:
 
I *think* I read through the 18 pages here, and the News & Updates thread, but don't recall seeing any impressions of people who actually played the demo?

I'll keep looking...
 
Yeah, stare at the sun and tell me your eyse don't hurt :rolleyes: Besides, it's a proven fact that staring at something close and bright for extended periods can result in eye strain.

.

You are comparing the sun with a TV?? Sorry to say that your tv cant show the same amount of light as the sun. And clearly eye strain is not the same as eye damage, not according to my dictionary anyway. show my some research that prove that looking at tv close is damaging for your eyes then I will be convinced. Because I have never seen that, but of course I might be wrong.
 
Last edited:
Not really fond of the sparks but everything else is looking outstanding. Roll on E3.
 
Did any GTP_ers make it to:

"Visitors to the Nurburgring 24 Hours race this weekend will be the first to try out all three courses in Gran Turismo 5 on special demo stations set up at the race."

?
 
Back