New videos from the Nürburgring (Read the 1st post!)

  • Thread starter Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 714 comments
  • 74,051 views
I hope someone really studies all posibilities and gives a nice video demonstration:p
 
The trees look aweful imo, PS2 style. Other racing games stil seem to do a better job regarding the environments.
I hope that this is an old version...

You can notice it in the slow parts of the track. The trees right next to the track are 2 bitmaps in crossed position. That is so last gen, I don't care if the third row of trees look like that, but the trees in the forground should be 3D

If graphics is really the most important thing for you in video games. Why don't you just watch movies.
 
Okay, can we please change the AUP that nonesense like that becomes bannable? Please?
So what exactly is your problem then ? There is a video, the latest one, and we talk about what we see and if we like it.
I point out what I don't like - I know that some people here can't stand reading the same arguments over and over again, but as long as PD keeps on improving certain aspects of the game while ignoring others ( and therefor falling back behind other genre games despite a ridiclously long development time ) these critism will always repeat itself.
I'm not some 12 year old crybaby - I played Gran Turismo earlier than 99% of the members on this page, early January 1998 before the game was even released outside Japan, imported right after launch. Never missed a GT since then, always imported it from Japan ( and US in the case of GT2 ) right away.
Played every GT along with probably a hundred other racing games for all consoles and PC.
So don't you tell me not to stand my point, it is valid, the trees are bitmaps and I happen to dislike that because in my opinion it ruins the overall experience - realsitc looking cars in a 1080P PS2 lastgen enviroment without ( so far ) weather effects, dynamic objects ( trees, sky etc ) but plenty of bitmaps.

There is always one person who moans about the bloody trees, its a driving simulator not a nature one!!

For me personally the whole package counts. Awesome looking cars without a proper lifelike surrounding look fake and unrealistic to me. I'd prefer less detailled cars and better looking tracks - that is one opinion among many.

I think this forum can handle different opinions...


Haha I find it really weird people are still complaining about the trees.. They look wonderful in my opinion.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE WITH GT4!It's a brave new world...

If a PS2 game is your standard, then yes, GT5 looks awesome. But having a PS3, Xbox360 and a gaming PC I don't like everything I see. The cars are pure perfection and so are some other aspects of the game engine, but the trees - standing out on a track like the Nuerburgring - are certainly not even genre standard but way below on a last gen level.

I don't think that this is what we'll see at the GT5 launch, but I'm afraid the trees won't be 3D and we'll still have to see if PD is able to adress othe rproblems like dynamic weather, night time racing, crash physics, mediocre engine sounds etc.
 
As already said , the game got much faster, track textures and trees look like O.O, I'm in love :>
 
There was something I noticed, with the triangle button you can "use rotation", looks like there are different ways to view the cars in the selection screen.

It just states "rotation speedup", so i think you can just adjust the scroll speed of the car selection.
 
The trees look aweful imo, PS2 style. Other racing games stil seem to do a better job regarding the environments.
I hope that this is an old version...

You can notice it in the slow parts of the track. The trees right next to the track are 2 bitmaps in crossed position. That is so last gen, I don't care if the third row of trees look like that, but the trees in the forground should be 3D

And the winner of the "First to complain about the TREES" award goes to.............. Max_DC........

Well done, truly you are a very discerning racing simulation critic, forget how the cars handle, look, forget the overall immersion factor and go straight for the trees.

Maybe PD's next project should be "TT6, the real Tree Simulator" to keep all the tree hugging hippies happy?

Obviously if the PS3 could model hundreds of trees in 3D then PD would have included them, so something has to give, if this was a tree simulator then yes, real trees and ****** cars, but hey, it isn't, it's a driving simulator and since you can't drive a tree guess what, the trees got the cut, so to speak.
 
The thing is most negative comments towards the game will not be tolerated by most members on here.
 
It just states "rotation speedup", so i think you can just adjust the scroll speed of the car selection.

Oh yeah you're right, with the bad resolution before it looked like "Rotation Verwenden", so I thought you might be able to change from a 2D to 3D selection.

The thing is most negative comments towards the game will not be tolerated by most members on here.

This is not true, but saying the environments look like from a PS2 game is utter nonesense and I'm getting sick of this.
 
All this great new info we all have been wating for a long time, and we are talking about trees? Lol The trees look good as any other racing game out there.
 
So what exactly is your problem then ? There is a video, the latest one, and we talk about what we see and if we like it.
I point out what I don't like - I know that some people here can't stand reading the same arguments over and over again, but as long as PD keeps on improving certain aspects of the game while ignoring others ( and therefor falling back behind other genre games despite a ridiclously long development time ) these critism will always repeat itself.
I'm not some 12 year old crybaby - I played Gran Turismo earlier than 99% of the members on this page, early January 1998 before the game was even released outside Japan, imported right after launch. Never missed a GT since then, always imported it from Japan ( and US in the case of GT2 ) right away.
Played every GT along with probably a hundred other racing games for all consoles and PC.
So don't you tell me not to stand my point, it is valid, the trees are bitmaps and I happen to dislike that because in my opinion it ruins the overall experience - realsitc looking cars in a 1080P PS2 lastgen enviroment without ( so far ) weather effects, dynamic objects ( trees, sky etc ) but plenty of bitmaps.



For me personally the whole package counts. Awesome looking cars without a proper lifelike surrounding look fake and unrealistic to me. I'd prefer less detailled cars and better looking tracks - that is one opinion among many.

I think this forum can handle different opinions...




If a PS2 game is your standard, then yes, GT5 looks awesome. But having a PS3, Xbox360 and a gaming PC I don't like everything I see. The cars are pure perfection and so are some other aspects of the game engine, but the trees - standing out on a track like the Nuerburgring - are certainly not even genre standard but way below on a last gen level.

I don't think that this is what we'll see at the GT5 launch, but I'm afraid the trees won't be 3D and we'll still have to see if PD is able to adress othe rproblems like dynamic weather, night time racing, crash physics, mediocre engine sounds etc.

Would you mind showing us some examples of the genre standard for trees?
 
At the risk of sounding like an old geezer, I can remember a time when in-game trees were nothing more than a few pixels and instead of a game like GTA or an FPS ( or any game whereby you can walk around ) GT5 is a game spend playing from within a car going into the direction and angle those depicted 2D trees are meant to be seen from most of the time.

Rarely has anything graphically bothered me about PD's products and I'd rather they spend most of their talent, time, effort and technical possibilities on making the things look good that actually matter in a driving game ( cars and tracks mostly ).
When I do glance at a 2D tree when I'm going sideways it's probably the last thing which would worry me at that particular moment.

Those 2D trees make sense 99% of the time, a perfectly modelled interior and real-life looking track make sense 100% of the time.
I would happily trade in that 1% of the time ( if it even is that much ) of "awkward" appearing background for the things most of us need and want to see rather than something you would be hard pressed to even notice in game going at a considerable speed ( not analyzing screenshots pic by pic ).

So there you go, my rant of the day ( which ofcourse is just my opinion ).:)
 
Last edited:
Did anyone get the impression that riding the kerbs was quite forgiving in this build?
 
All this talk of trees, aren't we forgetting the dandelions on Fuji seen recently, surely they get some recognition :)
 
And the second one from Play3.de, this time the GP course:

Thank you for posting...

but, so painful to watch. :scared::lol:

One thing I noticed was a beginner mode. Hopefully, if implemented properly, this will bring more people into the GT Universe. 👍
 
i just want to know one thing, who the heck was "driving" that R8 ? Damn !!!
 
For me personally the whole package counts. Awesome looking cars without a proper lifelike surrounding look fake and unrealistic to me. I'd prefer less detailled cars and better looking tracks - that is one opinion among many.

PS3 is 4 years old. It has only 256MB RAM so you can't get best graphics, physics and all best features in same package. That's why PD must concentrate only on most important things.
 
PS3 is 4 years old. It has only 256MB RAM so you can't get best graphics, physics and all best features in same package. That's why PD must concentrate only on most important things.

Well said.
 
I think this is the best looking Nurburgring I've ever seen in computer graphics... :drool:

Lightning looks just phenomenal and new tree line update is looking very good and true to life.

Shame that we are looking at the arcade mode, anyway I wasn't hoping to see GT mode before E3.
 
+
The game seems to run faster, excellent sense of speed from the videos or is it just me?
Triple screen mode is going to be even better for speed sensation now (heee heee) :)
Also noticed the detail from the track is so accurate that they have even included the new "Rollercoaster" to the left on the main straight from last year.

169ep86.png



+
Trees are improved.

+
Although still sometimes look like cutouts but end result is that this is the best looking version of the track going. PGR3/FM3 and PC games arent as good looking from my memory particulary in lighting and with such detailed cars.

-
For me the main criticisim still is with the jaggies and this shawdowing of trees looks very much like a moire pattern being very patchy and blocky. It may be a limit with the shadowing and something they cant avoid. However it makes me wonder will I find it off putting using cockpit view and thats a concern because Id like to use the headtracking in the cockpit view.

Example:
2ewd1xe.png


I appreciate the links of the vids but go easy on the guy complaining about the trees.
Hes right its a bit of a weak spot however their has to be a compromise and personally Id prefer to have such great car models with animated active aero at the expense of tree detail.
 
Last edited:
It's simple if you all mouning guys want to have better trees but 8 cars then you are on the wrong forum. The trees look all OK for such detailed 16 cars grid!
 
@RedSuinit: Watch video #4 in the first post, not the cockpit view, but the complete 24h track.
 
At the risk of sounding like an old geezer, I can remember a time when in-game trees were nothing more than a few pixels and instead of a game like GTA or an FPS ( or any game whereby you can walk around ) GT5 is a game spend playing from within a car going into the direction and angle those depicted 2D trees are meant to be seen from most of the time.

Rarely has anything graphically bothered me about PD's products and I'd rather they spend most of their talent, time, effort and technical possibilities on making the things look good that actually matter in a driving game ( cars and tracks mostly ).
When I do glance at a 2D tree when I'm going sideways it's probably the last thing which would worry me at that particular moment.

Those 2D trees make sense 99% of the time, a perfectly modelled interior and real-life looking track make sense 100% of the time.
I would happily trade in that 1% of the time ( if it even is that much ) of "awkward" appearing background for the things most of us need and want to see rather than something you would be hard pressed to even notice in game going at a considerable speed ( not analyzing screenshots pic by pic ).

So there you go, my rant of the day ( which ofcourse is just my opinion ).:)

Well Said.

+
The game seems to run faster, excellent sense of speed from the videos or is it just me?
Also noticed the detail from the track is so accurate that they have even included the new "Rollercoaster" to the left on the main straight from last year.

+
Trees are improved.

+
Although still sometimes look like cutouts but end result is that this is the best looking version of the track going. PGR3/FM3 and PC games arent as good looking from my memory particulary in lighting and with such detailed cars.

-
For me the main criticisim still is with the jaggies and this shawdowing of trees looks very much like a moire pattern being very patchy and blocky. It may be a limit with the shadowing and something they cant avoid. However it makes me wonder will I find it off putting using cockpit view and thats a concern because Id like to use the headtracking in the cockpit view.

Example:
2ewd1xe.png

That "jaggie" effect is always made worse from off screen footage, I've noticed it happen before even when it isn't visible in the game the very process of capturing and rendering produces some pretty weird looking shadows, so I wouldn't worry tooo much just yet.
 
I just dont understand we all know the game isnt going to look perfect i am very pleased with what i have seen so far. Cant wait for more videos bring them on!
 

I think that's just due to the shadows being in motion. If you look at the environment and the shadows on the track it's not sharp either, but that's because it's all in motion. PD has put so much effort into the graphics, I highly doubt anything will be jagged when the final product will be released.
 
Would you mind showing us some examples of the genre standard for trees?

First of all I don't want to hijack this thread with this tree topic - after all certainly not my or our biggest problem.

I also don't think that PD should try to reach tree perfection - I just don't want to look the trees right next to the track like this :

nord_004wa.jpg


But a little bit like this :

http://www.videogameszone.de/screenshots/original/2009/09/Shift_Forza_3_Screenshots_03.jpg

http://ww w.videogameszone.de/screenshots/original/2009/09/Shift_Forza_3_Screenshots_03.jpg

http://www.videogameszone.de/screenshots/original/2009/09/Shift_Forza_3_Screenshots_03.jpg

Shift_Forza_3_Screenshots_03.jpg


1253752502.jpg


82076d1236513016-test-drive-unlimited-merkwuerdiges-problem-geloest-ohne-aa.jpg


A little more 3-dimensional and like in Shift animated ( wind etc ). Organic, lifelike, not looking like a 2-bitmap-cross from 1998 in highdef.
 
Last edited:
Well I'm impressed. IMO this is better than last years E3 :lol:

For 1 we finally have people who know how to race/drive in a video game. With exception of the last video, but I think the last video was more of a lets see what happens when I drive horrible. And I know all the "reverse light" fanatics began to tear up when they saw him drive in reverse, but who cares. Also referring to the last video.

The sparks are a nice add even if they do come up when they shouldn't, who knows? PD is very articulate when it comes to detailing little animations like sparks in their games. Maybe there is a good explanation for the car to car collision with sparks. Maybe it won't happen every time. At least we are seeing something when you collide with another vehicle.

Maybe I over looked it, but has anyone seen this "tire penalty" system in any of the videos?

Well I'm excited that it looks great. I'm sure this is only the beginning of surprises coming our way.
 
I have a feeling this build is about a 1 month old. The final build of this game will be shown at E3 for sure.
 
The trees are fine. Well, it's not real environment. GT5's just a great simulator for driving experience, not a digital video camera for car drivers. I guess, when we are at 1xx km/h, we can't see clearly everything past us.
 
Back