Next Gran Turismo Will be a 'Combination of Past, Present, and Future'

Just turn the fictional race cars (Gr 3, Gr 4, etc.) into their road cars' Racing Modification versions. Actually new Gran Turismos are pretty much remasters of the previous games (except RM for GT3 onwards), but with new features.
This seems like a good idea but is PD willing to make a feature that allows race cars to be modified like that? And it would be best if it's not only limited to those race cars. If possible, it should also include cars that are involved in other motorsports such as rally, nascar or even F1... Forza Horizon 3 or 4 has this very cool feature.

One thing I could remember is that in GT5, there used to be a feature in GT Auto where it allows a player to make race modified versions of certain models from some brands but this feature is only limited to their premium cars, which is a total bummer. Now, turning those race cars into road versions with race modified specs would be amazing to see.

What if those were actually older Minis instead? Wouldn't it be more fun? Rofl. :lol:
Older Mini's are already in GT ;)

C1 Enduro would be a great addition to the series as it's one of the cheapest forms of endurance racing in Europe :D

Older Mini's are already in GT ;)

C1 Enduro would be a great addition to the series as it's one of the cheapest forms of endurance racing in Europe :D
Yes, I know that but it's still cool to imagine. Btw, I also liked this one from GT5. They should bring this back in the future.

images

This seems like a good idea but is PD willing to make a feature that allows race cars to be modified like that? And it would be best if it's not only limited to those race cars. If possible, it should also include cars that are involved in other motorsports such as rally, nascar or even F1... Forza Horizon 3 or 4 has this very cool feature.

One thing I could remember is that in GT5, there used to be a feature in GT Auto where it allows a player to make race modified versions of certain models from some brands but this feature is only limited to their premium cars, which is a total bummer. Now, turning those race cars into road versions with race modified specs would be amazing to see.
Do you even follow GT from the beginning? Much earlier than GT5, GT1 and GT2 has Racing Modifications which applies to almost every car in game (it's even suggested here from the pic). The meaning of my suggestion is like, for example there's a stock Lexus RC-F, you can buy it where Lexus RC-F Gr. 4 is its Racing Modification. So my suggestion is modifying a stock car, not an already race car, and only the existing fictional race cars (Gr. 4/Gr. 3/etc. versions) get turned into Racing Modification, keep the rally/nascar/F1 separate cars like usual.

I don't know about the last one, but the least you can do is empty the livery of the race cars and paint it with stock color.

You're not the same guy on Twitter who told me that the PS4 CPU doesn't calculate anything, are you? (Apparently the CPU doesn't calculate anything, the game code does. Quite what he thought the game code runs on I do not know?!). Every last little thing the PS4 does requires resources.
I don't post tweet
Of course all contents, features take ressources to be loaded
But there are ressources and ressources, some are greedy and some don't
Resolution, framerate, VR, high model and so on you know which need ressources, unlike UI, game design like, carreer mode, AI or else
As on the article says, the much more processing from new gen hardware will benefit to VR, not this kind of solo experience or AI ( Ai from GT are basically scripts, not real AI who take more ressources ) but to give you some credits, somehow AI can evolve to new generation, not like we re used to on games

I've said it before, but I like the new direction, it ain't perfect, but I've played it more than any game since 5 prologue.
I'm a better driver now too, particularly in race situations (some opponents may disagree!).

Some good improvements would be:
  • physics tweaks
  • less of the glass-smooth road surfaces (maybe that's my wheel setup)
  • ray-traced real-time lighting (maybe too much of an ask)
  • weather conditions
  • old classic tracks
  • damage (as if!)
  • VR for everything (livery editor also - imagine!)

You never know. I recall Kaz said the standard cars from GT5 & GT6 would be carried over to the PS4 eroa of Gran Turismo.
No he did not. He said there are too many fan favourites to throw away the archive so they would keep it. Literally nothing in that says standard cars on PS4 at all.

Do you even follow GT from the beginning?
I'm sure you can ask that in a much more civilized way, right?

Anyway, to answer your question, I haven't. Only played GT1 for a short time so I didn't learn about those features. GT2 and GT3, nope. Didn't have those games and the system yet when the latter was released that time, too. But I have played GT4, which of course, is a lot similar to GT5, especially the roster of cars. So there you go.

Much earlier than GT5, GT1 and GT2 has Racing Modifications which applies to almost every car in game (it's even suggested here from the pic). The meaning of my suggestion is like, for example there's a stock Lexus RC-F, you can buy it where Lexus RC-F Gr. 4 is its Racing Modification. So my suggestion is modifying a stock car, not an already race car, and only the existing fictional race cars (Gr. 4/Gr. 3/etc. versions) get turned into Racing Modification, keep the rally/nascar/F1 separate cars like usual.

I don't know about the last one, but the least you can do is empty the livery of the race cars and paint it with stock color.
So this is what you're actually talking about.

However, the least thing that got in my mind is that some premium cars in GT5, like what I've said earlier, can be converted into race modified versions of themselves so to become similar to Gr. 3/Gr.4 while several others have race cars, race modified variants or rally versions of themselves in GT4-6, like those Nissan GTRs, the Nissan Zs, the Evo, Celica, Impreza and many more, though of course, they're different than what you're trying to point out here since you mentioned the fictional ones should have it as well aside from the stock ones and not the one that I was thinking.

Btw, in the previous titles, the last part only works for some race cars and to some extent, a few rally cars. If removing their liveries and changing their paint jobs or wheels would always work, then definitely that's the best but the thing is, PD doesn't allow that which really sucks if you ask me. So that's why I also mentioned about the road versions (while retaining their respective race specs) of these motorsport oriented cars that will allow for aesthetic mods for some personal touch, something that I've seen in the Forza Horizon series which makes me drool about it.

Last edited:
As I see it this thread is mainly driven by nostalgia with a few new technologies to make the nostalgia better. I think that is a mistake.
Any gaming company that wants to be around for a long time has to attract new players at a greater rate than what they are loosing to age and real life.
I realize that the ps5 is going to be expensive and thus mostly attractive to people with money to spare, and that is a plus for the nostalgia, but the new players are many many more. So the game will probably most cater to the average gamer.

They really need to improve the a.i to entice me back to the series, that's what killed GT6 for me in the end and still seeing 'GTS is too easy' posts makes me wary.

Anyway, to answer your question, I haven't. Only played GT1 for a short time so I didn't learn about those features. GT2 and GT3, nope. Didn't have those games and the system yet when the latter was released that time, too. But I have played GT4, which of course, is a lot similar to GT5, especially the roster of cars. So there you go.

However, the least thing that got in my mind is that some premium cars in GT5, like what I've said earlier, can be converted into race modified versions of themselves so to become similar to Gr. 3/Gr.4 while several others have race cars, race modified variants or rally versions of themselves in GT4-6, like those Nissan GTRs, the Nissan Zs, the Evo, Celica, Impreza and many more, though of course, they're different than what you're trying to point out here since you mentioned the fictional ones should have it as well aside from the stock ones and not the one that I was thinking.

Btw, in the previous titles, the last part only works for some race cars and to some extent, a few rally cars. If removing their liveries and changing their paint jobs or wheels would always work, then definitely that's the best but the thing is, PD doesn't allow that which really sucks if you ask me. So that's why I also mentioned about the road versions (while retaining their respective race specs) of these motorsport oriented cars that will allow for aesthetic mods for some personal touch, something that I've seen in the Forza Horizon series which makes me drool about it.
GT1 and GT2 had race bodies for almost all road cars like the one's that got added as DLC cars in GT5. What stops them from doing it now is the workload it intails. It is effectively making a whole new car.

GT1 and GT2 had race bodies for almost all road cars like the one's that got added as DLC cars in GT5. What stops them from doing it now is the workload it intails. It is effectively making a whole new car.
Well, that's a sad thing to hear, I suppose.

I highly doubt that's your wheel setup. They have all of two settings you can adjust and there is little detail to the road surface to start with.

As I see it this thread is mainly driven by nostalgia with a few new technologies to make the nostalgia better. I think that is a mistake.
Any gaming company that wants to be around for a long time has to attract new players at a greater rate than what they are loosing to age and real life.
I realize that the ps5 is going to be expensive and thus mostly attractive to people with money to spare, and that is a plus for the nostalgia, but the new players are many many more. So the game will probably most cater to the average gamer.

You talk like there were no kids playing GT1, GT2, GT3 so forth and so on. In fact that's all who were playing it. You didn't have very many 40/50+ aged people playing the first playstation when it came out.
Now if you're saying that kids these days are dumber than a box of rocks with ADD and that it needs to cater more to that, then I can see what you're saying. I for one sure as hell hope they don't cater to that though.

I see many people that want the road surface to be more rought, but the problem in my opinion isn't road surface since the track are laserscanned, but the suspension physics which do not reveal the road irregularities as in Assetto Corsa or Iracing.
I hope they fix this problem with the next title (i don't know even if they're aware of this problem,if not, us comunity of GTP since we are the biggest GT comunity on the net it would be nice to adress this problem to the team )

Everyone expecting the next GT to combine the best elements from GT Sport and numbered GT titles should tread carefully. Why? GT6 was meant to improve on GT5, but in many ways it didn't succeed. Partly thanks to various GT5 features being reimagined for the worse in GT6.

Past experiences like that make it difficult to assume that PD will tackle the next title with the no nonsense approach many seem to take for granted.

The notion here that Kaz had "forgotten" some of the qualities in older GT titles makes me even more worried PD will stumble and fumble again.
GT6 would not take it as an example because it was a chapter that came out quickly/forcedly, badly thought out, and was released at the end of the ps3 generation.
In fact for me it was better that they did not let this chapter out, which was more like a big GT5 dlc rather than a real sequel ... it was better to continue supporting the fifth chapter until the end of the ps3 generation.

You talk like there were no kids playing GT1, GT2, GT3 so forth and so on. In fact that's all who were playing it. You didn't have very many 40/50+ aged people playing the first playstation when it came out.
Now if you're saying that kids these days are dumber than a box of rocks with ADD and that it needs to cater more to that, then I can see what you're saying. I for one sure as hell hope they don't cater to that though.

What I mean is that when I look back at Quake 2 it was the greatest FPS ever. But it's not, only in my rose tinted glasses.
I am actually saying that it will be almost only kids playing, and therefore our opinion is not all that important.

Not the dumbing down of games now is probably more because a very short attention span and not stupidity. I remember sitting for two days to get passed a boss. I don't see much of that in my kids and the next gen after them.

I've said it before, but I like the new direction, it ain't perfect, but I've played it more than any game since 5 prologue.
I'm a better driver now too, particularly in race situations (some opponents may disagree!).

Some good improvements would be:
  • physics tweaks
  • ray-traced real-time lighting (maybe too much of an ask)
  • weather conditions
  • old classic tracks
  • damage (as if!)
  • VR for everything (livery editor also - imagine!)
You ain't getting 100% Ray traced lighting

For Custom Races, we need the option like in Assetto Corsa. The option to choose each individual AI car, regardless of class, to place on the grid.

The race cars/rally versions of themselves in GT4-6 existed as usual in GT1/GT2 too just like GT4-GT6, apart from Racing Modifications (a video of all Racing Modification in GT2, if you want). In GT1/GT2 those cars are placed in "Special Models" of dealership (and there are many more hidden as prize cars, but not in dealership).

Well, you can't change car colors at all in previous GT until GT5 (still can't change livery in GT5). I meant for GT Sport one where you can clean race cars' liveries as seen here in the beginning part of video.

With inflation the PS1 was ~$600 in today’s money. The PS5 will be less than that. Games are cheaper too. Gaming is cheaper than it ever was.
I agree with you in theory. But jut a minor quibble. GT1 was released later in the life of of the playstation. I was a poor college student when it was released. I bought it after the first price drop and GT was not out yet.
I remember buying gt on its release though because I played a Japan copy at comdex. Took to it instantly.
The ps was not 299 at that time though.

The race cars/rally versions of themselves in GT4-6 existed as usual in GT1/GT2 too just like GT4-GT6, apart from Racing Modifications (a video of all Racing Modification in GT2, if you want). In GT1/GT2 those cars are placed in "Special Models" of dealership (and there are many more hidden as prize cars, but not in dealership).

Well, you can't change car colors at all in previous GT until GT5 (still can't change livery in GT5). I meant for GT Sport one where you can clean race cars' liveries as seen here in the beginning part of video.
So this wasn't a new feature anymore when modern GTs came, huh. Interesting.

If only GT Sport had race cars or rally cars that would peak my interests but so far, I haven't found anything interesting yet.

Nonetheless, I hope the cool livery editor will still be present in GT7. It'd really be useful if liveries can be removed on all cars there that comes with them.

Well for me if they are going to try and create a combination of past, present and future Gran Turismo a number of things have to
be addressed.

The AI is way too weak and needs to be more of a challenge and for me it would have to have the return of dynamic weather along with some
of the original circuits that have been in previous Gran Turismo. games along with the GT league's of course and the continuation of the livery
editor and scapes/race photo's of course.

Not to mention the return of the tuning shop, that would be very good nostalgia.

Well for me if they are going to try and create a combination of past, present and future Gran Turismo a number of things have to
be addressed.

The AI is way too weak and needs to be more of a challenge and for me it would have to have the return of dynamic weather along with some
of the original circuits that have been in previous Gran Turismo. games along with the GT league's of course and the continuation of the livery
editor and scapes/race photo's of course.

Not to mention the return of the tuning shop, that would be very good nostalgia.
Nah not "GT League", rather "GT Mode". Tuning shop for performance part and GT Auto for modification and visual part (Livery Editor suits to be GT Auto part).

Back