Next Gran Turismo Will be a 'Combination of Past, Present, and Future'

That video does not correspond to the ray tracing version. It can be seen simply by observing the reflections. It is simply the current engine rendering at resolutions of 8k.

This is the only ray tracing test that Polyphony has shown for now at SIGGRAPH ASIA last year.

I wasn't providing accurate, scientific proof, lol. Just optimistic conjecture.

It just seems like they can do it. And they don't make PC games, afaik, so why would they do it if not for future games?

I wasn't providing accurate, scientific proof, lol. Just optimistic conjecture.

It just seems like they can do it. And they don't make PC games, afaik, so why would they do it if not for future games?
I can give you three different reasons:

- They're testing the technology
- They plan to implement it on GT8 onwards
- They plan to implement it in certain situations in GT7, maybe the garage or photo mode.

I can give you three different reasons:

- They're testing the technology
- They plan to implement it on GT8 onwards
- They plan to implement it in certain situations in GT7, maybe the garage or photo mode.

Well, either way, I don't think any racing game has experimented with this yet, and it could make an amazing difference, whoever gets there first...

I’ll take all the old cars and tracks back anytime, but I definitely don’t want to go back to racing against AI, ever again! Racing against live people is the best thing that has ever happened to this franchise. :)
You have racing against real people and AI races now in GT Sport, if you don't use the latter, and have no interest in it, then you could ignore that in a new GT game too. :rolleyes: A new game could offer more cars and tracks, which would benefit the online and offline racers, and of course some people like both. ;) No interest in uprating/tuning cars! Then don't do it. No interest in creating car/suit/helmet liveries! Then don't do it. :boggled:

GT Sport has catered mainly for the online racer at the expense of the traditional GT format players, (whatever aspects they enjoyed ;)) but with the power that a new console could give, all aspects of the previous games have the possibility to be enhanced, the question will be what aspects of previous games will be in the next game.

I bought a PS4 for GT Sport, and for me the game should not have been the price of a normal GT game for the content contained. Add to that that there is very little game without and internet connection, and the value is even less, for me. If the next GT does not enhance the offline player experience a lot, then I doubt I would get game or new console. :(

Paying full price again for essentially a GT Sport 2, but on a new console, holds very little appeal, and unless there was something huge added, I can't see it appealing to current GT Sport players happy playing online in cars and on tracks with great graphics. Time will tell though.

PS The thing about getting people to go to a next GT though is that you can turn off servers and essentially 'force' people to get with the new game, or move on, because there is not much left there without their servers. :rolleyes:

You have racing against real people and AI races now in GT Sport, if you don't use the latter, and have no interest in it, then you could ignore that in a new GT game too. :rolleyes: A new game could offer more cars and tracks, which would benefit the online and offline racers, and of course some people like both. ;) No interest in uprating/tuning cars! Then don't do it. No interest in creating car/suit/helmet liveries! Then don't do it. :boggled:

GT Sport has catered mainly for the online racer at the expense of the traditional GT format players, (whatever aspects they enjoyed ;)) but with the power that a new console could give, all aspects of the previous games have the possibility to be enhanced, the question will be what aspects of previous games will be in the next game.

I bought a PS4 for GT Sport, and for me the game should not have been the price of a normal GT game for the content contained. Add to that that there is very little game without and internet connection, and the value is even less, for me. If the next GT does not enhance the offline player experience a lot, then I doubt I would get game or new console. :(

Paying full price again for essentially a GT Sport 2, but on a new console, holds very little appeal, and unless there was something huge added, I can't see it appealing to current GT Sport players happy playing online in cars and on tracks with great graphics. Time will tell though.

PS The thing about getting people to go to a next GT though is that you can turn off servers and essentially 'force' people to get with the new game, or move on, because there is not much left there without their servers. :rolleyes:
You need AI in offline races to gain money fast to buy cars you need...as online may restrict to fast cars and not all players are available. I think tuning is a must. I mean just that, even if not all are interested, I want GT to be encyclopedic as giving car parts info in the tuning.

This is the new age of gaming though, people realizes racing online is much more fun than offline gaming.

This is the new age of gaming though, people realizes racing online is much more fun than offline gaming.
And there is no reason why it can't be (almost) all things to all people! :)

There will always be a few people who are not happy with anything. ;) :rolleyes:

And not all people feel the same way btw. ;)

If all the next GT was was a GT Sport with VR, a few more tracks and cars, imho, a lot of people would be disappointed. Me included. I know for some that would be perfect. ;) :rolleyes: :lol:

PD also need to bring back the qualifying from GT1 and Practice option from GT4 for offline. It was awesome to drive around the Nord, with different AI cars driving around. I'd remember using the NA Roadster and AI GT40, Ginetta, 2CV, and a couple other cars circling. For the next game, the Tourist Layout would be sweet with 29 or Sierra-like numbers of AI cars setting times.

And there is no reason why it can't be (almost) all things to all people! :)

There will always be a few people who are not happy with anything. ;) :rolleyes:

And not all people feel the same way btw. ;)

If all the next GT was was a GT Sport with VR, a few more tracks and cars, imho, a lot of people would be disappointed. Me included. I know for some that would be perfect. ;) :rolleyes: :lol:
Not all people are connected to the net most of the time though so it's still good if there's a balance bet. the two.

Updated website and many interesting things for the future of GT : http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/english/
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/jobs/1430/
"By improving these processes, we aim to develop an autonomously driving AI that can drive faster, and more human-like."

The whole future GT mode depends on that AI. A more challenging AI is essential.
It's good to know that they specifically mentioned faster, because it's one of the flaw of the A.I in GT for a long time now. But for me that's isn't enough they also need to improve their game design in their next game. As far as I know the A.I in GT use stock car when you race with them, so once you tune your car to improve its performance the A.I would still drive worse and slower than you. They should copy NFS Shift system once you upgraded or tune your car the A.I will also adopt to your car performance, instead of adding cheat like rubber banding.

It's good to know that they specifically mentioned faster, because it's one of the flaw of the A.I in GT for a long time now. But for me that's isn't enough they also need to improve their game design in their next game. As far as I know the A.I in GT use stock car when you race with them, so once you tune your car to improve its performance the A.I would still drive worse and slower than you. They should copy NFS Shift system once you upgraded or tune your car the A.I will also adopt to your car performance, instead of adding cheat like rubber banding.
I tried tuning an N 200 to N300 car and selecting BOP, a while ago. Would have made so much sense if the AI tuned up to the BOP on my car. I'd want the cars to copy similar suspension and gearing as well.

I think PD should bring back the PP for cars in the previous titles for that purpose. This determines which cars from several opponents you'll be facing based on that one and I'm not sure why but choosing the tires also has an impact on it, too.

For example, if you're using higher grade tires for your car, then you would be facing cars with much higher performance while choosing the lower grade ones will do the opposite.

That's what I have observed about it before but the way how this system works is awkward and boring because you could only face limited models of cars on it and the AI only uses them in completely stock forms, not tuned ones.

If they improve the AI and makes it great that's good. If not, it doesn't matter to me. I only race people online so a better penalty system and more diverse races as daily is my concern. But I am all for catering to as many as possible.

I'd gladly take a remastered GT4 (current physics/graphics/audio)... with "Sport" mode.
I'd be quite happy if resources were spent doing so rather than fabricating fantasy/make-believe cars.
I'd really like on track penalty serving to go the way of the dodo bird.
Since everything I read says blame detection is never going to function correctly, then, move on, penalize all cars involved regardless of right/wrong. Simply take that out of the equation and the frustration of being done-wrong goes with it.
Spend those resources making more tracks/cars.
I'd be ecstatic if ghosting was eliminated, in a race crap happens, learn to avoid, and, sometimes luck just isn't in the cards... staying full throttle when cars are wrecking and hoping for a ghost is so Hamilton-Vettel at Canada... back off, assess, and carry on.
I'd like to see realistic tire wear... especially in the front end scrub department... really erks me to watch fast lap replays and see the car under steering, and the driver simply add more steering angle to combat it... corner after corner, lap after lap... they have it somewhat realistic on the rear tires... implement that up front.

I could care less about scapes and don't much care about weather and time of day, I simply don't have hours to watch the sun set/rise, and having lived in a very wet climate for 32 years I'm over driving in the rain (especially when race softs have more traction than proper wets like in previous Gtx's)... but, for those that want it... I hope you get it.
I am all for catering to as many as possible.

I tried tuning an N 200 to N300 car and selecting BOP, a while ago. Would have made so much sense if the AI tuned up to the BOP on my car. I'd want the cars to copy similar suspension and gearing as well.
Would love to see PD work on something like that for a while now. It would make the racing much more fair.
I think PD should bring back the PP for cars in the previous titles for that purpose. This determines which cars from several opponents you'll be facing based on that one and I'm not sure why but choosing the tires also has an impact on it, too.

For example, if you're using higher grade tires for your car, then you would be facing cars with much higher performance while choosing the lower grade ones will do the opposite.

That's what I have observed about it before but the way how this system works is awkward and boring because you could only face limited models of cars on it and the AI only uses them in completely stock forms, not tuned ones.
Does PP system even work? It's been a while since I've played an old GT game on PS3 from what I can remember I can easily beat the A.I with a much higher PP than mine. Most of the time I have to use lower PP car just to have decent race with them. An A.I than can match to the performance of you car would make more sense I think.

Updated website and many interesting things for the future of GT : http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/english/
"By improving these processes, we aim to develop an autonomously driving AI that can drive faster, and more human-like."

The whole future GT mode depends on that AI. A more challenging AI is essential.

By the way, how do you know which job listings are recently new? I feel like I read a bunch of these before like a year ago, including the graphics programmer.

Does PP system even work? It's been a while since I've played an old GT game on PS3 from what I can remember I can easily beat the A.I with a much higher PP than mine. Most of the time I have to use lower PP car just to have decent race with them. An A.I than can match to the performance of you car would make more sense I think.
I think it only works in that aspect but no significant impact at all in the performance of the AI since you can still outperform them if you try challenging them with the same car although it seems they generally perform better when driving a race car or a race modified variant of a specific car, e.g. stock GT-R vs. GT-Academy GT-R and when it comes to cornering, overtaking & braking, they all seem to drive smarter while committing less mistakes, too.

So there's some obvious difference in the performance once you see that one but like what I've said, maybe because the latter has a higher PP than the stock one. Basically, that's how the AI seems to act in the predecessors during races.

By the way, how do you know which job listings are recently new? I feel like I read a bunch of these before like a year ago, including the graphics programmer.
New :
Project Manager : http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/jobs/1423/
Software Engineer (CI・Web・Cloud・Mobile) : http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/jobs/1424/

Some jobs descriptions are simply updated :
April 2018 but probably older / Graphics Engineer : "Development of a real time graphics system using the GPU, that runs on the PlayStation®4 and PC's, etc." http://web.archive.org/web/20180414093342/http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/jobs/988
Today / Graphics Programmer : "From real time rendering to ray tracing, the Graphics Programmer will work to develop highly efficient and high quality graphics for the game." http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/jobs/1428/

Dynamic time and weather effects is really needed. Better AI. More customization to upgrade cars. More "bumpy" and realistic road conditions. Improved physics. More VR options. All these things...plus a lot of cars and tracks would be great.

You know with the PS5 more likely focused on CPU side of stuff, maybe perhaps we can see a return to day/night and weather transitions. Along with more background detailed stuff, larger grids, etc.

I don’t expect the next GT to be noticeably better looking in pure graphics alone. Hopefully this means PD can spend more resources on other agendas.

You know with the PS5 more likely focused on CPU side of stuff, maybe perhaps we can see a return to day/night and weather transitions. Along with more background detailed stuff, larger grids, etc.

I don’t expect the next GT to be noticeably better looking in pure graphics alone. Hopefully this means PD can spend more resources on other agendas.
GT Sport already has good graphics that may seem more realistic than ever. So there's no problem if it's the same one to come in the next GT title but if they'll make it better there, then why not.

Alongside that, seeing additional features and content would be welcomed too because those would make the game a lot far more enjoyable. I just hope it doesn't disappoint when it comes out.

GT Sport already has good graphics that may seem more realistic than ever. So there's no problem if it's the same one to come in the next GT title but if they'll make it better there, then why not.

Alongside that, seeing additional features and content would be welcomed too because those would make the game a lot far more enjoyable. I just hope it doesn't disappoint when it comes out.
I don't think the next game will be a disappointment mate, but it will be a lot more enjoyable than GT Sport though. I still can not believe how many players I know have deserted GT Sport in the last 12 months, and they were around for years playing GT6 every week since that game got released.
I still say GT Sport is a prologue of GT7.

Dynamic time and weather effects is really needed. Better AI. More customization to upgrade cars. More "bumpy" and realistic road conditions. Improved physics. More VR options. All these things...plus a lot of cars and tracks would be great.
Nothing more? :lol:

I hope they actually delivered on this one. If they did give some of the most requested feature that works nicely, like Livery Editor, and car sounds (albeit with help of an ex-Forza sound guy).

I feel that PP is a half-assed late addition of GT5, just like GT League in GTS. Though I still like PP better than N class because PP measures more of overall performance, while N class based it off car's HP. Actually, that GT Sport employs car stats (top speed, accel, cornering, braking, stability), I want that to be refined instead where the overall stat is to determine PP, and give classes for PP (but based on overall PP and not car's HP)

Back