Oldest post on GTP?

United States
Somewhere in the Northeast
AllFizzledOut
TakeALLTheNames
I've seen some posts from 2001, but I want to know is that if anyone knows the oldest post made on GTPlanet's forum.

It's safe to assume that XenForo hadn't been conceived at that stage?
Nope. Most of the modern internet, including Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter hadn't been conceived yet, either. :P

XenForo's developers were working on the vBulletin forum platform at the time, which I eventually converted the site to after originally launching it on "Ikonboard".

Nope. Most of the modern internet, including Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter hadn't been conceived yet, either. :P

XenForo's developers were working on the vBulletin forum platform at the time, which I eventually converted the site to after originally launching it on "Ikonboard".
I only really started paying attention to the internet when I joined GTP.
I had known how to use BASIC in my childhood, then read the newspapers online over the last few years.
This site is something more than that to me. I'm a fan & possibly almost a fully fledged internet convert.
:gtpflag:

Well then, 14 years?
Any plans for the 15 year anniversary, then?
It would be great to do something nice, but it's not something I have thought of in much detail yet. It might be interesting to see if the community can come up with any fun ways to celebrate. :)

And on the second day "God" created the Rumble Strip. :mischievous:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/loading.56/#post-1228

Heck, 14 years ago! Yes it was before the modern internet. I may have been still on a dial up connection then. Twin line ISDN for 128kbs. I used to think that was fast. I wouldn't want to visit a page on the photo mode section with that now! How times change.

It might be interesting to see if the community can come up with any fun ways to celebrate
Balloons and ice cream for everyone. :)

I may have been still on a dial up connection then. Twin line ISDN for 128kbs.
Oh, you were one of those lucky ISDN users... I was stuck on 56k until mid-2002. It was incredibly difficult to manage the site with such a slow connection. I used to drive an hour just to visit a CompUSA store, where I could download backups of GTP using their cable modem demo. :crazy:

^ Yep, that's it. Hard to believe I made that post almost exactly 14 years ago. :crazy:

@The Chosen One, you can learn more about GTPlanet's history here.
Damn. I wasn't even 8 when that post was made. I was still too young to even know what dial up even was back then. All I knew back then was that it made a sound and took forever to load the internet. :lol:

Oh, you were one of those lucky ISDN users
I was, but the twin lines were mainly used late at night. Because, 1/ the cost of making two calls was a bit prohibitive. 2/ Someone always wanted to use the phone during the day. So for the majority of the time I was, like you, connecting at 56k. The second line was convenient for this though. No more shouts of "can you come off the internet, I want to phone someone".

It was incredibly difficult to manage the site with such a slow connection.
I bet it was! Do you mind me asking at what speed do you connect at now? I expect it's a little bit above 56k.
I'm still on copper wired broadband connecting at "only" around 10mbs, which I find fast enough. I found that, for me, speed was/is less relevant than the always on connection that broadband allowed.

If that was my post, I'd be like: DAMN I'M OLD!
I remember the internet before the adverts! :P

Maybe a couple of scavenger hunts like what @SlipZtrEm did a few years ago? Or call them easter egg hunts and @Terronium-12 can host. :dopey:

The new forum software makes some of the techniques I used for those impossible now, but those were a lot of fun, so I wouldn't be opposed to trying to make new ones work...

Man, that post... I was sitting around running the Super Speedway in GT2 back then, saving up for the Jag XJ220... good times man! There are not many communities that have been around that long that are still this strong. I am proud to be a part of two of them!

Good lord I was in first grade when Jordan made that post. That's a throwback to my childhood. Damn.

Do you mind me asking at what speed do you connect at now? I expect it's a little bit above 56k.
I'm at 50 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up via cable modem now. Much better, but still not fast enough for me...and still not fast enough to download local backups of GTP!

I'm at 50 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up via cable modem now. Much better, but still not fast enough for me...and still not fast enough to download local backups of GTP!
Sounds like someone needs my connection at work. :D

But not my house. It sucks. :ouch:

TB
Sounds like someone needs my connection at work. :D

But not my house. It sucks. :ouch:
I think you've been waiting since 2001 to get online at home on your old untrustworthy modem :dopey:.

First time i visited GTPlanet was somewhere in 2007 or 2008 because of the Gran Turismo 5 Rumours and then i found this website on Google, just read some threads on the forums and then i leaved, 2 years ago, in 2013, with the release of GT6 and big news about graphical downgrades, i found in google that thread called ''Standards, the good, the bad and the ugly'' while searching about Gran Turismo 6.

Damn. I wasn't even 8 when that post was made. I was still too young to even know what dial up even was back then. All I knew back then was that it made a sound and took forever to load the internet. :lol:

Ah yes, dial-up... I remember being in grade school when we were still using that type of internet connection. It was great back then, but it's not something you would want to go back to. :lol:

I can still remember those days when I was using dial-up at high school to visit the site. This place got me really interested, I checked over here frequently just to see what everyone was up to. Was a little sad when GT5 was released and the site boomed; in came a lot of trash that the mod staff had to clean up. But yeah, I'm glad this site is still up. Thank you @Jordan, and I hope we get to see something interesting on this site's 15th anniversary. How about all posts be made "Premium"? No more of that "Standard" crap :lol: :cheers: :gtpflag:

Back