PlayStation 5 Will Support Your PlayStation 4 Driving Wheels

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by GTPNewsWire, Aug 3, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Whitestar, 88GTA, Inferno251 and 21 others like this.
  2. scooterlord

scooterlord

Best news I heard today! :)

3. Shinu

Shinu Premium

Yey
    I just bought new headphones

Oh and the fact that my DD wheel will be working is also nice :D

4. maximax

maximax

Does that mean Gimx and other motion rigs won't need an update? Simucube, Simexperience on PS5?

5. Elison_NC

Elison_NC

For G29 case it's still not 100% sure, as said on the blog, ps5 will support but needs to be confirmed with the manufacturer.

It seems that Logitech will announce a new wheel, making me fear that they will make a move similar to the g27 -> g29. (drop support of the old to make only the new one work with the next gen).

I hope i am wrong and the g29 continues to work on ps5. :bowdown:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. NekoPufferPPP

NekoPufferPPP

As long as my T150 still works...that'll be fantastic.

Truth be told, I ended up liking the motion sensor controls on the DS4 in GT Sport since I get more controlability and can make faster adjustments than with a wheel, despite the lack of any real feedback. Plus I don't wear my wheel down...but it's nice to still have the option to use older hardware.

Inferno251, GregDrou and iMatazzie like this.
  7. Nelson Medway

Nelson Medway

Sweeeet.

iMatazzie likes this.
  8. marcvic

marcvic

Initially, I was going to wait until GT7 was released before getting a PS5. Now that I know all the hardware and most of the software will be compatible, I may take advantage of the early adopter trade in bonuses for PS4P.

iMatazzie and Cocomoto like this.
  9. RetroJohan

RetroJohan Premium

I guess the T500rs will work.

10. Kosiek

Kosiek

11. Leggacy

Leggacy

I hope this is true of my ageing T500, it’s still going strong, I don’t want to have to buy another wheel anytime soon.

12. zr1chris

zr1chris

Huge news!! Thank you Sony for not messing this up.

Jump_Ace, GregDrou, iMatazzie and 4 others like this.
  13. Stoop Solo

Stoop Solo

Man, if Logitech pull a stunt like that, they'll be dead to me. How grateful I am to Collective Minds for the drivehub. G27 still working just fine.

14. Slapped

Slapped Premium

They can't stop developers from supporting it. All the devs need to do is send it the right data over USB and while an official Logitech SDK helps speed up the development process, it's by no means a roadblock if Logitech don't release one for the PS5 - Hell the PS4 and PS5 architectures are binary compatible so the existing PS4 SDK will probably work without much fiddling.

iMatazzie likes this.
  15. Cocomoto

Cocomoto

I do hope so... My old and gold T500 still health amd be able to use it on PS5 will be great.

But, nothing about the headset Pulse Elite, will it work? The news only talked about the Gold and Platinum...

16. kikie

kikie Premium

I will need to get a new wheel eventually if I buy a PS5. I'm still using the G27.

17. dwolff

dwolff

Any word if drivehub will be ps5 compatibles?

iMatazzie likes this.
  18. Xxlnoob

Xxlnoob

I would really love to hear that Drivehub will work on the PS5. Playing GT Sport with CSW 2.5 was an amazing experience.

Jaykos, iMatazzie, dwolff and 2 others like this.
  19. davidt33

davidt33

Amen. Been anxiously waiting for this news.
    One thing though, what about pedals? Eg: Fanatec CS V3 pedals?

iMatazzie likes this.
  20. Stoop Solo

Stoop Solo

The way the device works I suspect it will be, though that's a good question.

iMatazzie likes this.
  21. Marius789

Marius789

I hope we still get a new wheel for PS5, though. Specifically from Thrustmaster.

I have a T300RS, but I want to upgrade to something next gen. Not upgrade to an old wheel.

22. VBR

VBR Premium

I was a serious critic of the forced incompatibility issue when PS4 launched. And, I have to say hats off to the Japanese company this time around; it's the right decision from a customer loyalty point of view as well as a business point of view. I suspect that most people who buy a PS4 & who can simply carry on using their existing wheels are probably gonna buy a lot of driving games for it over the lifecycle of the platform. Great decision guys, thank you!

:cheers:

Coquico, Jump_Ace, Cocomoto and 3 others like this.
  23. TypeRDC5

TypeRDC5

This is great news! Took a gamble when recently buying a wheel and luckily it had paid off :)

24. JDMKING13

JDMKING13 Premium

Yes sir!!!

iMatazzie likes this.
  25. DomB_Fanatec

DomB_Fanatec

I answered this on the Fanatec forum but I'll put it here too:

PS4 (and PS5) compatibility depends on the wheel base. In our range, there are two PS4/PS5-compatible wheel bases:

• The Podium Wheel Base "DD1 PS4" (only available as part of the Podium Racing Wheel F1 package)
    • The CSL Elite Wheel Base + (available in multiple packages, including the CSL Elite Racing Wheel and CSL Elite F1 Set)
    When you use one of these bases, any* Fanatec peripheral you attach to it will also become PS4/PS5 compatible. So that includes all our pedals.

*there are a couple of exceptions in terms of steering wheels, mainly due to current firmware limitations, please check the individual steering wheel product pages for details.

26. davidt33

davidt33

Thanks again Dominic. This certainly helps me with what I wanted to know for quite a while. Cheers.

iMatazzie likes this.
  27. Coquico

Coquico

Yes!! My t300 is ready for more more!

iMatazzie likes this.
  28. zr1chris

zr1chris

Been waiting for this news. CSL Elite ordered.

iMatazzie and super_gt like this.
  29. iMatazzie

iMatazzie

Thank you so much PD and Sony!!! Since I only got a PS4 and wheel end of 2019, I was betting on the fact that my wheel would be compatible with next gen consoles (a little stupid, but still), so this is a relief!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  30. iMatazzie

iMatazzie

Same here!

TypeRDC5 likes this.