Poll: Do you think PD should release 2 Gran Turismo games every console generations?

Do you think PD should release 2 Gran Turismo games per console generation again?

• Total voters
That's not true. The decision to make a PS4 version of the game was made recently so it is a PS5 game that is being ported to PS4 not the other way around.
GTplanet saw documents showing it was always in development for PS4. If it was developed for PS5 first the game would look significantly better than GTSport and not just reusing ps4 art assets for all returning tracks.

Last edited:
If they're not going to make a new single player game each time and instead just copy/paste the same events there is no point. Wait for them to add a bunch of DLC and maybe a few more events, a couple of new features, then delete your save after 4 years and start the game again. Same effect.

GTplanet saw documents showing it was always in development for PS4. If it was developed for PS5 first the game would look significantly better than GTSport and not just reusing ps4 art assets for all returning tracks.

They are reusing the assets for a few reasons. They can have more content that way and also they had very high quality models but due to hardware limitations they were almost never used except in the garage and scapes. If a car got more than 20 feet from you in a race the render quality was severely reduced as well. The car models were already "next gen" they were perhaps too good even for the hardware they were on.

Last edited:
No they didn't.

Nowhere does it say "always in development for PS4". Just that it was indeed in development at that point.

Last edited:
No they didn't.

Nowhere does it say "always in development for PS4". Just that it was indeed in development at that point.
Yes they did. Famine confirmed as much, and funnily enough his post quoted below was in reply to yours in the other thread.

"Although we can't share our source either, indications from it are that the process started a lot longer back than merely "recently" - before the game was ever announced - which does beg the question of why "PlayStation 5 Exclusive" appeared on so much early advertising. Some possibilities spring to mind, such as a development path that had been pursued but abandoned and which PS Studios have instructed is to be revived more recently than the initial promotional push."

Yes they did. Famine confirmed as much, and funnily enough his post quoted below was in reply to yours in the other thread.

"Although we can't share our source either, indications from it are that the process started a lot longer back than merely "recently" - before the game was ever announced - which does beg the question of why "PlayStation 5 Exclusive" appeared on so much early advertising. Some possibilities spring to mind, such as a development path that had been pursued but abandoned and which PS Studios have instructed is to be revived more recently than the initial promotional push."
Before the game was announced is still not always.

Then what would it be? It was always in development for ps4, even before it was marketed and announced as PS5 exclusive.
Well Kaz said development started on GT7 in late 2017 after GTS launched, that could have been PS5 and PS4 started in late 2018 or 2019. PS5 dev kits were known to be at 3rd party devs in early 2018, so first party devs would've definitely had them earlier.

Mind you it's a rather moot point anyway, it is what it is now.

Well Kaz said development started on GT7 in late 2017 after GTS launched, that could have been PS5 and PS4 started in late 2018 or 2019. PS5 dev kits were known to be at 3rd party devs in early 2018, so first party devs would've definitely had them earlier.

Mind you it's a rather moot point anyway, it is what it is now.
I mean that requires considerably more assumptions involved without much data backing it. It would be out of the ordinary for a cross-gen game to begin development as a next-gen exclusive with R&D spent a whole year for graphical asset development and features taking advantage of the ps5 hardware, only for the PS5 game to show up literally looking like GTSport ported straight from PS4 right down to the same textures.

Either way the point was the decision for a PS4 version wasn't just recent and that they somehow quickly ported a downgraded version of a PS5 game rather than up-porting a PS4 game to PS5 (which is what every cross-gen game has been so far). We also know from Whistle Snap's data hack they've just been building content (like Trial Mountain, Daytona, etc) & environment settings and implementing it into GTSport's codebase since its early updates.

If a game doesn't have a story line that can get stale, as racing games don't, then as long as it's building blocks are solid, ie the game's engine, then updating it via DLC as they have done with GTS, should be sufficient enough to run as a single title throughout the consoles life-span. As long as having it as a PS4 title as well doesn't hamper it's evolution.

But then that's potentially the biggest issue. I would imagine that PD won't just suddenly stop updating the PS4 version. If that's the case then you are hindering GT7's evolution potential as far as implementing fresh features is concerned if GT7 runs until the next, PS6, generation of console comes along, and probably beyond that, because you are essentially tying it to the limits of what the PS4 can achieve. GT7's core will have to be pretty robust under the hood to survive what could be another 5 or 6 years or more.
GTS came out as a game and a online racing platform , “the story” can not be the same . The story will nerve get old because in a race it can never be repeated. Ten to twenty divers can never drive the same race for 4 to 10 laps the same , when that happens I will be gone.

Last edited:
In the age of updates, one game should be enough, but it's got to have excellent bones, be highly optimized, and obviously be designed for added sections of content. I don't mind that at all - even if I have to buy a fairly bare-bones game on launch, if I know it's going to get sizeable updates every six months to keep things fresh then it will keep me engaged for longer. After all, new cars debut and there are a lot of race tracks in the world. It takes a long time to acquire licenses and model high-fidelity content, so even after the game debuts the developer and keep adding licenses and keep modelling tracks. Keep the machine running.

From before if the game had been developed as a PS5 exclusive, then I would have supported it as a single release, getting serviceable updates through it's lifetime, but with it now being released as a cross-gen, the PS4 will hold back GT7 PS5 version full potential. Now would like two releases during the consoles lifetime, but next GT would seem at this point five to six years away, a long time to wait to see where PD could have taken this.

No. I prefer massive game support. In addition to content updates, new cars and racetracks, also update with new graphics and physics.

I prefer PD to stop releasing prologue versions among the canonical GTs, as were the HD, Prologue and Sport versions.

I prefer that PD release Tourist Trophy 2 halfway through each generation.

Last edited:
I haven't read everything, but there are two points on this:
  • As others have said, being developed with PS4 as the high bar, to a point, holds GT7 back. GT8 being built "to the PS5 metal" will allow more freedom to explore technical possibilities.
  • A game which has constant updates to the game engine can - and will - get wonkier as it ages. As the release of GT6 drew near, my GT5 install was so senile, it crashed after three races. Every single time, sometimes after two. I was thinking of ponying up for a GT5 updated edition, whatever it was called, but with GT6 coming I didn't bother.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back