Poll: Is the Polyphony Digital work fairly appreciated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jose'
  • 41 comments
  • 3,157 views

Is or not?


  • Total voters
    165
I voted yes, because as whole, PD's work on GT5 has been rewarded as evident of the sales.

However, if you would have put "appreciated on GTPlanet", I would have voted no. The community here is one of entitlement.:guilty:
 
By me yea I appreciate everything kaz has done even if I didn't like it. Not everyone feels the same way I know but I appreciate gt5 for what it is.
 
I voted yes, because as whole, PD's work on GT5 has been rewarded as evident of the sales.

However, if you would have put "appreciated on GTPlanet", I would have voted no. The community here is one of entitlement.:guilty:

well said 👍
 
This is a little confusing. I couldn't appreciate it more. (For those of you that are grammatically challenged, by that I mean I appreciate GT5 so much that I can't appreciate it any more) Now, do I believe that the general gaming community does not appreciate GT5 as much as they should? Oh yes indeed. GT5 is generally under appreciated.
 
I voted yes... unfortunately for PD, fairly is the key word there... and that's not always a pleasant thing.
 
I voted no. I appreciate it (apart from the annoying trade limit :mad: ) but a lot of people don't. I look forward to each new patch to see what new features it'll bring.
 
Poll need 'What work?' as an option.
 
Considering that you're just asking the voter, I voted "yes" on this. Based off the six years development, which was frustrating, Polyphony Studio has earned my respect at making this the first truly addicting game to me since Midnight Club 3 on the PS2 in 2005. The fact that they are actually listening to the fans and responding to demands (mostly) positively helps.
 
course its not, and thats because they fudged it
 
However, if you would have put "appreciated on GTPlanet", I would have voted no. The community here is one of entitlement.:guilty:

False. The community here in the GT5 SUBFORUM may be that way, but the gtplanet community as a whole does not have an entitlement issue.
 
...I'm just realised, these kind of threads are done way to often.
 
I'd say no. People are expecting way too much from the game, people also expect glitching and start to get upset when they get patched.
 
Is the Polyphony Digital work fairly appreciated?

How would you define "appreciated"? If you mean, "Hey, thanks for another game to play for a while," then I suppose its 6+ million sales of GT5 indicate that it has been appreciated. If you mean that we should be singing its praises and never, ever offering constructive criticisms, then no, and it shouldn't be. A person can enjoy the game and still acknowledge its faults and want to see those areas improved, and GT5 sure has plenty of room for improvement.

I'd say no. People are expecting way too much from the game.

I haven't seen unrealistic expectations anywhere. A lot of the complaints directed against the game are areas where rival franchises and developers have done more/better. It's not expecting way too much to expect them to at least match what other developers have been able to accomplish with other franchises.

It's not too much to expect GT5 to have at least as many Premium models as Turn 10 produced for FM3 in just two years. It's not expecting too much to expect all the tracks to look like they belong on a current-gen console, especially considering that all of FM3's tracks look current-gen and it has more tracks than GT5, and again it took Turn 10 only a couple years to produce them. (They never simply recycled anything from FM2, as everything was updated for FM3, like the cars all having ten times as many polygons as FM2 cars.) It's not unrealistic to expect stuff like headlights to work properly at the moment of the game's release (and yes, they were originally broken, as I've often illustrated without a doubt with photographic evidence). It's not unreasonable to expect features comparable to offerings of other franchises, especially considering that something like GT sells far more copies than something like FM.

Expecting 200 unique track locations (not counting various configurations of them), all completely new, would be expecting way too much. Expecting 1000+ Premium models would be expecting way too much. Expecting the game to at least match what other guys did in less time is not expecting too much. Expecting it to work properly is not expecting too much.
 
I'm in the middle, so I didn't vote.

While the updates so far have been nice, I'm still disappointed that they have yet to add features that even the manual says are in the game, such as matchmaking.
 
Considering all of the whining here because PD didn't include this feature or that feature, I'd say no, their work is not fairly appreciated here on GTP. Do I have complaints? Sure, no game is perfect. That doesn't mean I go around demanding they change the game or else it's a piece of useless crap. I appreciate all the hard work they put in and realize it's impossible to please everyone.
 
I apprecieated it.
Even though there're lots of bugs and the patch that they make. (gifting limit thingy)
 
I put no, on account of everyone complaining over such minor defects.
 
I put no, on account of everyone complaining over such minor defects.
I'd say, "complaining about almost anything and everything." When you have people posting that the game is horribly built because the racer list crawl before a race begins to interlace a few seconds before the race starts...

Or because most cars sound like vacuum cleaners...

Or... well, you name it, we've seen it all...

And complaining in derogatory, unintelligent fashion guaranteed to start arguments rather than a serious discussion...

It makes you want to ignore the boards for an indefinite period of time. Oh well, Duke Nukem Forever should be out soon, maybe the noise level will drop after it does.
 
I broke the tie and went with No. If anything, the game is over-appreciated. With 6 years of development, it has had more flaws in it than any other game I have ever played.
 
Wow, that's a tricky one...

You know, I learned this one lesson at my last employer. It was a very small company (only four people including us two), so it was very important everyone does his job properly. So when I was still new, I obviously still had to gain a lot of experience, which in turn meant I made a lot of mistakes. I'm glad to report it never was anything serious, but my boss still argued with me. And as much as I would like to say he was wrong, I'm afraid I had to agree with him. He said:

"We are a small company developing things for a big company. We must make sure our work is 100% accurate. If it isn't, we might bring the big one in big trouble. Therefore, I need to be able to count on your work at all times. It's a nice gesture if you did the best you can, and it's a nice gesture if you apologize for a mistake you did. But at the end of the day, I simply need the work to be done right. From you being sorry and trying hard, I can't feed my kids."

So, did he appreciate my work? I'm afraid he was right, and I have pretty much the same attitude towards GT5. It's nice that PD set a new standard in some departments. It's nice that Kaz apologizes for several mistakes people bring up on Twitter. But in the end, the final product needs to be good for their work to be appreciated. The product needs to reflect the work that has been put into it, if you will. And in my opinion, GT5 doesn't do that, because they wrapped a great driving feel and other good elements in a badly designed game, which somewhat spoils the fun you could have with the good parts.

So is the work of PD fairly appreciated? No, it isn't. Not because people talk bad about it, but because the end result, their own game, doesn't appreciate the work they put into it.
 
Last edited:
I voted no. I appreciate it (apart from the annoying trade limit :mad: ) but a lot of people don't. I look forward to each new patch to see what new features it'll bring.

+1 👍
 
PD works FAIRLY appreciated? no
PD works BARELY appreciated ? yes

All of this is considering PD.
If EA launch a game relatively similar to gt5 i'd be impress, more than fairly appreciating their works.
 
No, it's not.

Simply because all those kids are crying and whining about not getting "their" stuff the second they demand it but don't have the slighest clue about software development. They don't even know how much work PD is putting into all the stuff.
 
No.
How much work is it to repackage GT4 and add a few things?
No game saves options...the cockpit view is so jittery it gives ya a headache...etc.
 
I voted yes, because as whole, PD's work on GT5 has been rewarded as evident of the sales.

However, if you would have put "appreciated on GTPlanet", I would have voted no. The community here is one of entitlement.:guilty:

Incorrect, I could say the community here is one of putting up with tat. But that's just PART of the community. Another PART of the community highlights the FACT that PD have made several massive flaws with GT5.

1) use of substandard cars and tracks

2) Broken In game economy, cars are way more expensive than previous GTs, and money is harder to attain.

3) Wet weather is utterly irrelevant in Aspec with regards to tyre realism

4) tyre wear of the race tyres (maybe all tyres I havn't tested them all) makes medium and hard tyres irrelevant in Enduros.

5) STILL have to press a button to reverse when using a wheel.

6) no separate adjustments of brake balance and strength, which is about as far away removed from "real" as you can get.

7) no saves in Enduros, meaning that those with lives and/or do not wish to waste energy leaving their PS3s on for a RIDICULOUS amount of time non stop cannot race the longer enduros.

8) Aspec is too limited, not enough events.
 
No, it's not.

Simply because all those kids are crying and whining about not getting "their" stuff the second they demand it but don't have the slighest clue about software development. They don't even know how much work PD is putting into all the stuff.

I could not agree more

It is clear that this poll hasn´t many value because whiners are voting too.
 
Last edited:
Back