Results are only viewable after voting.

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
There must be an answer to this.

I've always been strangely curious to know what the frequencies and incidences of these are.

Doing it on the layer of toothpaste on the toothbrush.
Ah, I see your point good sir. However, I mitigate the problem by rinsing my mouth before utilizing my toothbrush. That way, I needn't wet the toothpaste before it is used.

I don’t water the toothbrush until the end of the clean when I want to rinse out the bristles before a final once over.

I do paste, gob, brush, rinse, gob, brush, rinse and done. Takes about 2 minutes.

I apply water to the brush after applying the toothpaste.

My wife (ex-dental nurse) does not use water at all.

No water at all, just toothpaste and saliva. I'll rinse the brush every now and then if I feel like it or if I've dropped it on the floor.

I water it both before, after I put on toothpaste and, to top it off, also when I'm done brushing my teeth, I don't know why but I've always done it that way. Thinking further about it, I can see that my way actually use quite a bit of unnecessary extra water. Time to change that habit I guess. :irked:

These poll results so far are disturbing. Remember that toothpaste is an abrasive--adding a layer of water to the tooth surface makes it more difficult for toothpaste to do its thing.

discover-nowata.png

If I recall, rinsing your mouth or brushing with just water after brushing washes away the fluoride in the toothpaste and renders the toothpaste nowhere near as effective.

If I recall, rinsing your mouth or brushing with just water after brushing washes away the fluoride in the toothpaste and renders the toothpaste nowhere near as effective.
What about the fluoride in the water?

:P

Doing it on the layer of toothpaste on the toothbrush.

Thats what I do. I have no real explanation for it, I just do that automatically.

I apply water to the brush after applying the toothpaste.

My wife (ex-dental nurse) does not use water at all.

Ok, I mean... I know you can do it, but why would you do it is the question. The reason to put water on your toothbrush is to soften the bristles. Why would you make that job harder by applying toothpaste first. It means you have to apply the toothpaste in such a way that you won't rinse it off. This seems like an extra complication.

It's like people who wash the lower part of their body before the upper... oh no... that's not another poll is it?

why would you do it is the question.

To take the edge off the toothpaste. Dilute it a fraction? It's anti-productive, I'm sure, but I've never, in 27 years and innumerable brands, found a toothpaste that was comfortable and palettable straight from the tube.

There's a horrible sharpness to toothpaste without having wet the toothbrush both before and after.

There's a horrible sharpness to toothpaste without having wet the toothbrush both before and after.

Are you using "whitening" toothpaste (these days it's hard not to). Whitening usually has extra abrasiveness added.

It's like people who wash the lower part of their body before the upper.
I've found that I have a better purchase on the shower floor earlier into the shower--though not immediately after entering--than I do later, so I opt to do any balancing I need to do earlier; this includes washing of shins and calves.

As much as I hydrate throughout the day, it seems it isn't enough, as I'm still prone to "pruning"--even on the soles of my feet.

Well that's a bold response...why so opposed?

I water both before and after toothpaste and rinse toothbrush after brushing ( I also use hot water, this way when I get into the shower the hot water has reached the bathroom so not really wasting any water).

Either way, the real question is why does the toothpaste fall off my tooth brush, but sticks to my counter like crazy glue?!

I water my brush before applying toothpaste, and sometimes just a quick spurt after applying. But then I never rinse my mouth out with water after brushing. That being said, how many people read this poll, answered and now are consciously working out what they are doing with their toothbrush and paste when before they did so without thinking for years?

I water my brush before applying toothpaste, and sometimes just a quick spurt after applying. But then I never rinse my mouth out with water after brushing. That being said, how many people read this poll, answered and now are consciously working out what they are doing with their toothbrush and paste when before they did so without thinking for years?
I've always been aware of it just because I know that everyone I've encountered does it differently to me. They go to a sink and I don't.

Edit: That's right, I swallow. ;)

Last edited:
Back