Votes: 238 38.0%
  • No

Votes: 176 28.1%
  • Already own a PS4, but wouldn't for (just) this

Votes: 89 14.2%
  • Already own a PS4, but would (just) for this if I hadn't

Votes: 123 19.6%

• Total voters
If I will buy a ps4 just for GT. Of course I will, specially if Sony releases a GT bundle. I grew up with GT since child and I never lost any part of the series (except GT concept, but I was a child), and it was there everytime I needed it. I will not deny I tried to change to other sims (Forza included), and some of them were good, but they never, NEVER, felt the same as GT for me, GT has something that make me play it at least one minute (doesn't matter how ugly can look), and that something never dissapeared in almost 20 years. Yeah, there are many downgrades today in the series, but come on, it's not the first to suffer bad times, many big games had worst times than GT first (some of them died in that times), but most of them survived and GT will not be the exception, remember MTV boiling points's phrase "It's good to be patient" :)

To be honest im kinda scared to buy the next gen console right now. My monetary isnt exactly at the top right now and i still had to pay my student loans.

Im actually planned to buy an XBox One to get the Forza. Then i realized something, what if PD finally got out with Future GT series in a bang. They had an advantage already: Dynamic time and weather, good replays, lighting, etc. Not to mention its on PS4 which means its cheaper and easier to get (not all stores in my place sells XBone due to the low demand. Thanks a lot XBone early policy).

Dont dissapoint me PD. PD isnt making a bad game, but bad decision and management. Too much wait and had less new content than any racing games. And those standards.... I hope PD realized it and inspire to move forward this time.

Woah, has it been a few months. Spent fall in Race Room land and a whole buncha time in Fallout 4, and barely had time or energy to get on any of my forums.

And then Forza 6. I tried to like it, but... Turn 10 did something bizarre with the driving model. Or the demo frooked up the wheel drivers, which is entirely possible given that it's a Microsoft product. Almost had me in tears a few times. The mod system and Livery Editor are to die for but... $900 for that?? I haven't touched it since September. Also got Assetto Corsa and Project CARS. AC has great driving modeling and I don't doubt online is a great experience, but it's a boring single player game. And P CARS? I'm baffled by all those fans who think it's such an incredible sim. Have they failed to notice AC and Race Room? It feels like a mod of some ancient PC sim. With all it's AARGH quirks, Forza 6 is a better sim.

I have a feeling that it will come as no surprise to some here that I'm grabbing GT Sport the moment it becomes available. Will it be on par with the heavy hitters, AC and RR? I don't know, but as many here have enthused, Gran Turismo just has something special about it. People here can poke fun at it, but I have yet to find a better sim at modeling street cars. Slap some Comfort rubber on a sports car and go to the Nurb and hang on for dear life.

I want to get a PS4 anyway because the Playstation game library is simply the best. But I want to experience the next generation of Gran Turismo, and this is the first taste.

Yes.
I currently have a fairly new PS3, bought only 3 months ago just to play GT6 which I love, but when the next release comes out I'll buy both the PS4 and GTSport to experience the new release which I'm sure will be even better. Can't wait.

I race iRacing mainly but I'm hoping GTSport turns out good and becomes a competitor to iRacing so I'll buy a PS4 for it. If the competition is good I might stick at it even if GTSport isn't as good as iRacing but I doubt I'll give up iRacing.

7HO
I race iRacing mainly but I'm hoping GTSport turns out good and becomes a competitor to iRacing so I'll buy a PS4 for it. If the competition is good I might stick at it even if GTSport isn't as good as iRacing but I doubt I'll give up iRacing.
iRacing is iRacing because of the driver rating system and it's very strict enforcement. On the front end it keeps away most of the non-serious racers to begin with. Once you're in you realize pretty quickly that if you don't stay on the track and away from other cars you can't improve your rating and can't get out of the beginner classes and into higher quality racing. I don't think that will ever happen with GT or any console game really because it's counter productive. They want to sell games and consoles and a rating system guarantees that number will be lower not higher. It works for iRacing because it's more of a boutique game, charging enormous fees to be deeply involved, but with less people overall.

PD could have both ways with two games/sims based on the same engine, targeted at different audiences.

iRacing is iRacing because of the driver rating system and it's very strict enforcement. On the front end it keeps away most of the non-serious racers to begin with. Once you're in you realize pretty quickly that if you don't stay on the track and away from other cars you can't improve your rating and can't get out of the beginner classes and into higher quality racing. I don't think that will ever happen with GT or any console game really because it's counter productive. They want to sell games and consoles and a rating system guarantees that number will be lower not higher. It works for iRacing because it's more of a boutique game, charging enormous fees to be deeply involved, but with less people overall.

iRacing is ridiculously easy to get into the higher classes, the time it takes is much less than the grinding you do in GT, my 13 year old son was able to progress into the higher classes almost as quickly as me. But getting into the higher classes is not the point of iRacing and you only need to get into those higher classes if you want to race a series in a higher class. The MX5 series is the biggest and most competitive series on iRacing and you can do it from day one. As for increasing your iRating to race in higher splits, the point of iRating is simply a match making system, it is designed to put you with drivers of a similar skill level. If you are better than the people you are racing with your iRating will go up and put you where you belong, if you are worse your iRating will go down and put you where you belong. There really is no need to worry about that number as all it really is for is to make racing more fun for you. The only time you need to worry about iRating is if you are good enough to race at the top level, then you will probably want to farm your way over 5000 to make the top splits so you can have a run at the pro series.

This poll should have some sort of middle ground option. Having bought the previous generations of Sony machines mainly because of Gran Turismo (GT3 A-Spec being the very first game I bought alongside my first PS2) I could be inclined to say I would buy a PS4 for GTS depending on how good the game is... But current gen consoles aren't like PS3 and the previous ones. Both the PS4 and the X-1 are midrange x86 gaming PC's in a compact package in a nutshell that don't seem to do all the stuff acutal PC's can do, except for the gaming part, so with that in mind the price would have to drop considerably, because the game catalogue isn't that impressive, the games are more expensive than their PC counterparts (and considering usually on the multi-platform releases the pc versions are better) and the current pricetags for those machines could be used for some interesting upgrades on an already pretty decent PC, I'd say it's not worth forking out cash on, unless you have absolutely nothing better to do with your money and have a great urge to part ways with it and also too much time to spend playing games lol. But those are my two cents.

No, I'm not paying $350 to play a prologue. Not even sure I'll get one when GT7 comes out; maybe when the PS4 slim is out and the price goes down quite a bit. If GT7 is even out by then lol.

I've had many hours of fun with the GT series over the years but the never-ending delays, broken promises (the whole "at least one new track as DLC each month" thing had me extremely excited), the laughable "coming in a future update", small handful of new tracks, lack of the latest and greatest supercars, and total lack of communication from PD have really turned me off to the franchise.

7HO
iRacing is ridiculously easy to get into the higher classes, the time it takes is much less than the grinding you do in GT, my 13 year old son was able to progress into the higher classes almost as quickly as me. But getting into the higher classes is not the point of iRacing and you only need to get into those higher classes if you want to race a series in a higher class. The MX5 series is the biggest and most competitive series on iRacing and you can do it from day one. As for increasing your iRating to race in higher splits, the point of iRating is simply a match making system, it is designed to put you with drivers of a similar skill level. If you are better than the people you are racing with your iRating will go up and put you where you belong, if you are worse your iRating will go down and put you where you belong. There really is no need to worry about that number as all it really is for is to make racing more fun for you. The only time you need to worry about iRating is if you are good enough to race at the top level, then you will probably want to farm your way over 5000 to make the top splits so you can have a run at the pro series.
The "put you where you belong" part is exactly why it won't work on console IMO. Console players don't want to be "put where they belong" , the want to go wherever they please at all times, causing all kinds of carnage until someone uninvites them, at which point they just go to another room and do the same. Being in a situation where the console kiddies are online trying to enter different lobbies and continuously getting the message, "Sorry, your driver rating isn't high enough, try a different room", will be a massive turn off for casual fans. Or scanning a list where 3/4 of the rooms are greyed out because you can't enter them, same thing. It'll be great for us tiny minority of drivers that want clean racing though, so I hope they do implement it:sly:

No, I'm not paying $350 to play a prologue. Not even sure I'll get one when GT7 comes out; maybe when the PS4 slim is out and the price goes down quite a bit. If GT7 is even out by then lol.

I've had many hours of fun with the GT series over the years but the never-ending delays, broken promises (the whole "at least one new track as DLC each month" thing had me extremely excited), the laughable "coming in a future update", small handful of new tracks, lack of the latest and greatest supercars, and total lack of communication from PD have really turned me off to the franchise.

PS4 is already pretty slim. I am sure they can make it more slim but chip size and heat management etc as the power supply is also integrated inside it. So these needs to done before squeezing the size more. It is easier for Microsoft to release a slim version because it is fat console and also has power brick. So I do not think Sony are going to release PS4 slim or do price cut this year.

The "put you where you belong" part is exactly why it won't work on console IMO. Console players don't want to be "put where they belong" , the want to go wherever they please at all times, causing all kinds of carnage until someone uninvites them, at which point they just go to another room and do the same. Being in a situation where the console kiddies are online trying to enter different lobbies and continuously getting the message, "Sorry, your driver rating isn't high enough, try a different room", will be a massive turn off for casual fans. Or scanning a list where 3/4 of the rooms are greyed out because you can't enter them, same thing. It'll be great for us tiny minority of drivers that want clean racing though, so I hope they do implement it:sly:
That's not how it works even on console. GTSport has been hyped as an entry into the e-sports arena, if you play online shooters and similar titles you will see many have matchmaking systems that place people with similar skilled people, that is why my daughter would get upset when my son played on her account because he would rank her up and then she would be matched with players of a much higher level which was no fun for her. That is how iRating works on iRacing, it doesn't exclude you from joining any series, all it does is match you with similar skilled people in a popular series. So if a hundred people join a race and as a result the race splits, the split you are placed in is one with drivers who should be challenging for you so you have a fun race. If you are talking about the ability to drive other cars that is easy and it is something anyone can do on iRacing, levelling up your licence is one of the easiest things to do as it has nothing to do with where you finish, all you have to do is run clean laps which anyone can do. I literally have kids come over and try out my rig all the time and in a short time I can teach any of them how to run clean laps and I could show any of them how to get their licence up to any level they want very quickly and they all want iRacing after they have a go.

The reason iRacing isn't much more popular has nothing to do with the competition model or IR or SR. It is the pricing structure. The idea of having to pay $50 per year to use it and then an additional $15 per track and $12 per car which you can only use while you have an active subscription is what scares people away. If another sim comes along on a console with a similar competition model but with more appealing pricing structure that people are used to then it will do very well.

7HO
That's not how it works even on console. GTSport has been hyped as an entry into the e-sports arena, if you play online shooters and similar titles you will see many have matchmaking systems that place people with similar skilled people, that is why my daughter would get upset when my son played on her account because he would rank her up and then she would be matched with players of a much higher level which was no fun for her. That is how iRating works on iRacing, it doesn't exclude you from joining any series, all it does is match you with similar skilled people in a popular series. So if a hundred people join a race and as a result the race splits, the split you are placed in is one with drivers who should be challenging for you so you have a fun race. If you are talking about the ability to drive other cars that is easy and it is something anyone can do on iRacing, levelling up your licence is one of the easiest things to do as it has nothing to do with where you finish, all you have to do is run clean laps which anyone can do. I literally have kids come over and try out my rig all the time and in a short time I can teach any of them how to run clean laps and I could show any of them how to get their licence up to any level they want very quickly and they all want iRacing after they have a go.

The reason iRacing isn't much more popular has nothing to do with the competition model or IR or SR. It is the pricing structure. The idea of having to pay $50 per year to use it and then an additional $15 per track and $12 per car which you can only use while you have an active subscription is what scares people away. If another sim comes along on a console with a similar competition model but with more appealing pricing structure that people are used to then it will do very well.
Obviously we'll have to agree to disagree. 👍👍

It is true, games like CoD have had ranking setups for some time.
One could argue the extreme online success of the CoD franchise.

A more reasonable ranking system wouldn't have grey rooms, or show rooms you can't enter. It would put you into a match based on ranking (quick match) or show available rooms for your level.
I think if done well, ranking could make GT, or any game for that matter, a better online experience for everyone.

It is true, games like CoD have had ranking setups for some time.
One could argue the extreme online success of the CoD franchise.

A more reasonable ranking system wouldn't have grey rooms, or show rooms you can't enter. It would put you into a match based on ranking (quick match) or show available rooms for your level.
I think if done well, ranking could make GT, or any game for that matter, a better online experience for everyone.
There's a big difference though. The CoD series is based on engaging and killing your opponents, confrontation, battle etc. You get rewarded for the very things that are to be avoided in racing. A driver rating that focuses on contact avoidance and off track excursions is punitive whereas a rating in CoD is based on skill, experience and previous success. In CoD if you have a lower ranking you just get put with people of lesser skills. In a racing game, if you have a lower ranking you get put with people who crash into you and ruin your race and it's highly discouraging. I'm sure console racers look at the player base and believe a driver rating system will be great for the clean and conscientious racers, and will drive away the more casual and less considerate player base.

There is an answer of course, an optional driver rating system, with a parallel online racing system. Don't want to use the driver rating, don't have to, but you can't get into rooms that use it. Want to use it, you sign up and are eligible for rooms that use the system.

Whether any console dev will go to those lengths for a game of this nature is debatable. I have serious doubts we'll ever see anything but a token attempt at it.

There's a big difference though. The CoD series is based on engaging and killing your opponents, confrontation, battle etc. You get rewarded for the very things that are to be avoided in racing. A driver rating that focuses on contact avoidance and off track excursions is punitive whereas a rating in CoD is based on skill, experience and previous success. In CoD if you have a lower ranking you just get put with people of lesser skills. In a racing game, if you have a lower ranking you get put with people who crash into you and ruin your race and it's highly discouraging. I'm sure console racers look at the player base and believe a driver rating system will be great for the clean and conscientious racers, and will drive away the more casual and less considerate player base.

There is an answer of course, an optional driver rating system, with a parallel online racing system. Don't want to use the driver rating, don't have to, but you can't get into rooms that use it. Want to use it, you sign up and are eligible for rooms that use the system.

Whether any console dev will go to those lengths for a game of this nature is debatable. I have serious doubts we'll ever see anything but a token attempt at it.
The rating system doesn't have to be safety based, it doesn't even have to be explained after the intro. A combination of safety, finishing well in races, and experience could raise the rank. I'm sure it wouldn't be perfect, but a start it would be.

The rating system doesn't have to be safety based, it doesn't even have to be explained after the intro. A combination of safety, finishing well in races, and experience could raise the rank. I'm sure it wouldn't be perfect, but a start it would be.
IMO they'd have no choice but to explain it and in detail. If not, you'll have forums full of people with both real and imagined boogeymen, complaining and whining that they are getting stuck in lobbies with newbs and wreckers, ignoring the fact that it may have happened anyway without any safety rating.

Ultimately I don't see any upside for the developer, only for the niche users like ourselves, interested in clean, simulation type racing. Anyone interested in the game or racing is going to buy it anyway, the casuals will buy it if the cover is appealing and it gets decent reviews. I can't see any sales currently driven away that will come back because of a driver rating system that involves a contact parameter which is why I believe no console racing game has ever included it to my knowledge. Even on pc, where you'd think serious racers congregate, devs are really averse to touching this. Kunos had an unqualified "no" when asked about implementing it, SMS promised but never delivered (may have changed, I haven't followed development of the game for months now).

IMO they'd have no choice but to explain it and in detail. If not, you'll have forums full of people with both real and imagined boogeymen, complaining and whining that they are getting stuck in lobbies with newbs and wreckers, ignoring the fact that it may have happened anyway without any safety rating.

Ultimately I don't see any upside for the developer, only for the niche users like ourselves, interested in clean, simulation type racing. Anyone interested in the game or racing is going to buy it anyway, the casuals will buy it if the cover is appealing and it gets decent reviews. I can't see any sales currently driven away that will come back because of a driver rating system that involves a contact parameter which is why I believe no console racing game has ever included it to my knowledge. Even on pc, where you'd think serious racers congregate, devs are really averse to touching this. Kunos had an unqualified "no" when asked about implementiGT5it, SMS promised but never delivered (may have changed, I haven't followed development of the game for months now).
Do casuals go on forums? I'm not sure casuals would barely notice the driving system and how it rates them. Hard to say what casual players do exactly.

That is what iRacing has, they call their ranked racing official racing but you can still create rooms and race in other rooms in hosted racing, they have both.

Already own a ps4 but wouldn't buy a ps4 just for gran turismo sport.

Polyphony digital is good at playing games with us. May be eventually I will buy it and get to play it if I'm lucky and still around then of course I may be an old codger by then.

Not buying a PS4. As far as I'm concerned it's not enough of an improvement over PS3. And even then, I barely use my PS3 as it is. I use the PS2 far more. I bought my PS3 for GT5, but since the disappointment of GT5/6, I don't feel the need to buy GTS at all. And that's the first time I've been prepared to say that.

That being said, if GTS comes out, and it's actually great, I might consider. But until that time, PC will suffice. GTS is the only console exclusive that I would even consider (with the possible exception of Forza) so there's really no reason for me to buy a PS4 at all.

I'd be more likely to buy my first Xbox and try out Forza. (And this is coming from someone who owns 2 PS2s, a PS3, and GT1,3,4,5 and 6.) GT is still a great game, but it could be better.

If you've got a PC, remember that Forza 6: Apex is coming to PC soon. You might not even need to buy an Xbox.
Excellent.

Edit: I just checked, and it's only for Windows 10. That's disgusting, that's grotesque, that's just no good. We can't have that. My gaming PC is going to have to dual-boot, triple-boot and quadruple-boot so many versions of Windows.

Back