Practice Tracks in Sections in GT5 thread of apples being orange rewindists

  • Thread starter Thread starter vaioleto
  • 211 comments
  • 13,812 views
Devedander
Point:

Grand Tourismo is somewhat a simulator and is no where near the cream of the crop regardless of what is put on the lable.

Very obvious what you are doing here.

You want to start your rebuttal off by criticizing the simulation quality of Gran Turismo. You state your opinion that Gran Turismo is "somewhat of a simulator" as fact to try and drop the franchise down to the levels of Grid, DiRT, and Forza.

I happen to own rFactor, GTR2, and NASCAR 2003, so I understand and have first hand experience with the cream of the crop. Gran Turismo, driving physics wise, is right there with them. All Gran Turismo has claimed to be is a driving simulator, and GT5P is right there with the best of them.

Devedander
Rewind is a tool that can aid in learning, that is unless you don't believe that trial and error and repeating an problem area is a legitimate way to learn.

As you put it so many times, rewind is like training wheels. In the end, how much will driving a bike with training wheels help you learn how to do the real thing properly?

Not much.

Same thing with rewind.

Learning from your mistakes is part of life. Giving a new driver the ability to instantly correct mistakes does not teach them good driving habits for the long run.

If a driver has the ability to instantly rewind any mistake he makes will he be more cautious the next time he comes up on a similiar situation? Maybe. Maybe not. But one thing is for sure, in the back of his mind he knows he has rewind to back him up so he can be wreckless if he wishes.

Reminds me of a NASCAR 2003 race a few years back. About two dozen drivers, including me, got together one night to run a 400 mile race at Daytona. Fearing that a large crash could ruin the long race for everyone the boss turned damage off.

The result?

Drivers became wreckless. They kept trying stupid moves that they would never normally try if they knew their cars could get damage.

The same will happen with rewind. No consequences does not encourage better driving.

Devedander
If GT really did have more than enough assists, no one would be a bad racer anymore. Quite clearly that is not the case.

Now this is funny. Not everybody is going to be good at anything, especially sim racing. Sim racing is very difficult just like the real thing and requires many hours of practice to get good at.

Devedander
Maybe it's saying that to YOU, and maybe some others will take it like that. But what it's saying to ME is "hey casual driver who hates GT because it's so frustratingly hard, we hear ya and we have put something in so you can enjoy this great game as much as the other guys. Now you have some recourse for your mistakes, use it how you like. If you think its fun to rewind like crap and do crazy things just to rewind out of them, have a ball, it's your $60! But if you want to get better but just couldn't get over the hump before, here's a great way for you to work at it, use this tool to get your feet on the ground and then when you feel comfortable, take the training wheels off and see where you can go from there!"

This is not the right thing to say to casuals or new drivers. It's not the proper way to help them get into sim racing. The master will never approve of a feature that tells casuals they need to never learn how to race properly if they don't want to.

Deveander
Maybe that's what rewind is saying to YOU (and I have brought up the freudian aspects of this before) but that's not necessarily what it says to everyone.

It's been detailed many times over how rewind can be a useful and legitimate tool, whether people choose to use it or abuse it is beyond predicting, but the only thing you can be reasonably certain of is that not everyone will be in the abuse group. And those that do abuse it, how exactly does that effect you again?

I already covered basically your whole post in the other thread, noteably here (including what rewind says to casuals) :

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3597634&postcount=1226

And I best you missed my post where I taught my brother, who doesnt race PERIOD the Monza track in GTR2 in a little over an hour using the sector trainer.

Devedander
And yet AGAIN, rewind is not the ONLY tool and if it overlaps with where other learnings already cover, great! More ways to learn something means it's more likely that any particular person will find a tool that works best for them.

Rewind does not belong in a simulator that is honestly trying to teach everyone how to race cars.

The master even wants to make "Gran Turismo for kids". Does that sound like someone who doesn't care if casuals learn how to race or not, someone who says "It's your $60 screw around and never learn anything about cars if you want."

Does the master sound like that type of person?

Devedander
BTW here are a few uses for rewind that are outside the learning realm even:

Someone walks in front of the TV during a tricky turn.

Your batteries die during a turn.

Your cat steps on the remote and your TV switches inputs.

These are all things that are detrimental to the sim and thus having a tool to undo them solves a problem even for skilled players.

Pretty weak sauce right there. PD should waste time modeling a feature that will help incidents that are one in a million?

If rewind is such an industry changing, revolutionizing feature then I'm sure the next rFactor or GTR will have it. Right? ;)
 
Congratulations on running out of points to try and pretend are logical and rational.

I didn't say rewind was realistic, I said it had positive potential and the fear based assumptions and generalizations are flawed.

I don't doubt no one wants to hear more about it, I already laid it out to about it's finest level of detail already for you.
How about this, I ask a mod to make a poll, rewind or sections, and if sections wins, you leave your multi-page essays here, and stop talking about rewind. Because constantly seeing you spew BS in every thread is super annoying, and if you could stop, that would be great.

I've never met someone who is so persistent that after a thread with 1300 replies of essentially everyone telling him no, still has the energy and TIME to go into another thread and keep going. All this when he can readily play a game that already has it.
 
Very obvious what you are doing here.

You want to start your rebuttal off by criticizing the simulation quality of Gran Turismo. You state your opinion that Gran Turismo is "somewhat of a simulator" as fact to try and drop the franchise down to the levels of Grid, DiRT, and Forza.

Not obvious enough I guess as tha'ts not what I was doing. I was pointing out that defending GTs status as a "simulator" as a reason to leave something out is flawed as it's already pretty far from a simulator.

As you put it so many times, rewind is like training wheels. In the end, how much will driving a bike with training wheels help you learn how to do the real thing properly?

As I have said many times, a baseball T won't make you a major league ball player, but it can very much be the first step.

I don't know why you keep trying to prove that rewind won't be the make or break difference to being a great driver when I never said it would.

Learning from your mistakes is part of life. Giving a new driver the ability to instantly correct mistakes does not teach them good driving habits for the long run.

Unless I missesd something about rewind, it doesn't instantly correct their mistakes for them.

It gives people the ability to instantly learn from their mistakes, while it's still fresh in their mind... see my previous analogy of math questions, trying again immediately vs trying again tomorrow.

If a driver has the ability to instantly rewind any mistake he makes will he be more cautious the next time he comes up on a similiar situation?
Maybe. Maybe not. But one thing is for sure, in the back of his mind he knows he has rewind to back him up so he can be wreckless if he wishes.

Well if I can restart a race, it's just a game, and it doesn't matter to anyone but me what I do, why wouldn't I be wreckless if I want to? It's not like without rewind people aren't already wreckless a lot.

And I don't agree it will just make people wreckless (I know for a fact I never got wreckless in GRID even though I had rewind). People who want to be wreckless may use rewind to get more enjoyment out of their being wreckless but those who want to learn will use it as a learning tool.

The important part of your comment is "if he wishes". If someone wants to be wreckless, they will be, if that's the kind of gamer you are, then that's how you are. As I said before, having rewind doens't make you do anything, being the kind of person to do it makes you do it.

The result?

Drivers became wreckless. They kept trying stupid moves that they would never normally try if they knew their cars could get damage.

GT has not had damage since GT 2. There are plenty of people who take their driving seriously all the same and try with every ounce of their ability to race clean even without damage.

All your story proves is that in some circumstance somethings happen. It doens't mean it always will and it isn't even really analogus to a learning too.

Some of my friends restart if they mess up anything on the first lap, maybe even the first two laps. Restart lets them do that. I think it's ridiculous to do that but whatever. The point being, just becuase you can use something to an extreme doesn't mean everyone will.

The same will happen with rewind. No consequences does not encourage better driving.

There are still consequences, in fact I think rewind is a consequence in and of itself. Once the excitement and eye candy factor wears off, rewind is just as annoying as restarting a race. The consequence of making mistakes is that you still don't finish the race until you have improved enough to not make that mistake.

A common trend I see is that an argument against rewind keeps infering that somehow rewind magically makes mistakes a thing of the pasts... rewind lets you go back and try again, but you have to try, and if you don't try and don't get better, rewind or not, you will never get through that corner.

So unless someone just likes rewinding and crashing the same situation over and over, then by default rewind will help them get better, because getting better is the only way to move on, even with rewind.

This is not the right thing to say to casuals or new drivers. It's not the proper way to help them get into sim racing.

That may be how you feel, that may be what works for you and how you would do it if you were, say, someones teacher. But that's just an opinion. For some people, rewind will not be the best tool, but for some it may well be.


The master will never approve of a feature that tells casuals they need to never learn how to race properly if they don't want to.

The master? Really? There is some God complex going on here :D

But anyhow, we already have lower difficulty levels and standard physics... GTPSP (made by PD and KY and is a GT game) caters very much to those of lower skill and does not in any way force them to drive better.

And again, it doesn't tell people that, it tells you that maybe, it tells some people that maybe, but you just need to stop assuming that the message you read into it, or the worst case scenario is something you can assume across the board as a rule. It's just not.

And I best you missed my post where I taught my brother, who doesnt race PERIOD the Monza track in GTR2 in a little over an hour using the sector trainer.

And I bet you missed the post where my friend struggled with two corners in GRID for over half an hour, then nailed them both using rewind to help practice in a few minutes.

I am not saying there aren't people who cand and do learn without rewind, I am just saying there are some who will.

Some people need training wheels to get over their fear of falling off a bike, some people just get on and go. Some people need the support to make it less daunting to start, some people scoff at it and prefer to do it the hard way. Neither is something you can just say applies to people across the board.

I know people who hopped on a bike, never fell off, and were doing jumps in under half an hour. I know people who tried with training wheels for weeks or months and are still shaky riders today. The fact that one type exists does not preclude the other.

Rewind does not belong in a simulator that is honestly trying to teach everyone how to race cars.

The irony is that in most simulators that really are to teach people things (flight training sims, naval boat sims, polic training sims) they DO have rewind for exactly the reason that it does help teach people.

Does the master sound like that type of person?

What is with this master thing?

And what is with people who assume:

A: they know what KY thinks and how he works inside

B: that KY is incapable of changing?

GT has continually added things to help lower skille drivers along. As I pointed out before, why should we not offer all the tools we can so we reach out to the widest audience? The marketing aspect is obvious and it every person who does get better from using rewind is one less person being totally crappy ruining online races for the rest of us.

Pretty weak sauce right there. PD should waste time modeling a feature that will help incidents that are one in a million?

I didn't say PD should put in rewind just for these, I just said rewind has a potential benefit for lower skilled as well as higher skilled players.

And these are not one in a million... I have experienced all those examples personally many times, and as is expected with such things, it seems they always happen at the most inopportune (read: Frustrating) times. I would have loved a rewind button when those things happened to me.

If rewind is such an industry changing, revolutionizing feature then I'm sure the next rFactor or GTR will have it. Right? ;)

First off I never said it was industry changing or revolutionizing (it seems to make arguments against rewind you have to keep making exagerations and setting up straw men just so you can knock them down) anything, I just said it was a nother tool that has positive potential. In fact I specifically said it would NOT be a magic fix all make anybody great tool.

And maybe they will have it, who knows... like I said, the real pro simulators (the teaching/training ones) often do have some kind of rewind so maybe who knows.


Since so much of your arguments show you do not comprehend what I have said or just didn't see my posts I will break it down here simply:

Rewind can be a learning tool with positive potential.
Learning by trial and error is a very legitimate way to learn.
Scientific studies have shown that if you apply what you learn soon after you learn it, you learn faster (this is generally applied to the school environment but the point is the same) rewind lets you concentrate on your weak areas by isolating them and focusing until you have conqured that specific issue.
How others use rewind cannot hurt you becuase rewind would be limited to single player only.
Rewind does not magically fix all your problems and let you win races without getting better, that's what Bspec does, rewind just lets you conveniently choose the areas you focus on practicing but you still have to get better to get around the corner in the end.
Rewind is like being able to focus on a specific math problem to practice over and over instead of having to practice an entire chapter or book of problems before you can come back and practice the one that is giving your problems again.
Rewind as a learning tool has it's limites and probably won't be taking anyone up to the highest ranks of skill.
People will choose how to use rewind based on their own personlities and desires. Again how they choose won't in any way effect you.
If you want to keep GT as some sort of elitest, only for the best society type thing, that's fine for you to want, but it's not a logical argument for a flaw in rewind as a learning tool

Remember, there are some two types of people out there, those who want to do better and those who don't. Those who don't want to do better probably won't be helped by rewind, but they weren't going to get better anyway because they don't want it.

Basically those who aren't going to use a easy to access, integrated rewind to help learn weren't going to be going into license mode or any other mode to learn, that's why that line of logic is flawed. They weren't not learning because of rewind, they are not learning because they aren't motivated to get better.

It's like giving out free tools to high school flunkouts. Those who want to improve will use them to learn how to build stuff where not having those tools might have been the difference between being too difficult to get a start. Those who aren't motivated to improve won't use the tools to learn anything, but they sure weren't going to be learning via the harder and less accessible methods either... to argue that sector traininer or license tests are what people should be using would be like saying those flunkouts shouldn't be given toolbelts, they shold have to go earn some text books and go to scheduled schools and classes. Let's face it, if you aren't motivated enough to get some free tools and hammer some stuff together, you aren't motivated enough to go to school to learn it the slow tedious way.
 
Last edited:
Rewind is unrealistic.
Not really.



Lets look at possible uses of rewind

- Someone brakes too late in a corner, misses it. They rewind
- Solution already in GT: colored racing line that tells you when to brake
Not a solution if people want to drive without the line. You talk about getting all rewind dependent and using to be lazy then suggest the line, which could be just as addicting and as "lazy" for completing the game.

- Someone wants to practice a turn or section of the track without running the entire track so they use rewind
- Solution already in GT: None. But a sector trainer as seen in GTR2 would be a better solution here as it is more precise and less cumbersome then rewind and gives you better feedback, including your time through a sector.
No, Sector trainer would not be better. Sector trainer with rewind is the best option, pretty much infinite control over your training session. Even more precise, even less cumbersome, and gives you all the feedback and times you'd get without rewind alone.

- Someone trys to pass an AI car and crashes so they rewind
- Solution already in GT: Many license tests and challenges that ask you to pass cars cleanly
Rewind and get very specific experience with a certain situation that can be repeated many times over much faster than a license test.

THE POINT

Gran Turismo is a simulator

If your not willing to learn how to race properly and you want rewind to baby-sit you through the experience then Gran Turismo is not for you.
This is already semi-contradictory since you promoted the racing line. Rewind won't babysit you anyway, it just teaches you how to drive.

Gran Turismo already has MORE THEN ENOUGH assists to help you get better at car racing. A gimmicky feature like rewind is not needed.
Says who.

Rewind is really saying "screw trying to learn how to do it right, with rewind there is no need to practice or try to hone your skills, you can jump in and go racing without having to worry about the consequences."
Rewind is learning, the above makes no sense.

Is that what Gran Turismo should be saying to casuals and first time racers?
Rewind doesn't say that all.
 
I was waiting to post this in the other thread, but since you brought the discussion here...

It seems that it's the presentation, the actual eye candy part of rewind that bothers you more than anything... I do see what you mean by how rewind would fit into a classy looking game, but if anyone can fit something in and make it classy, PD can.

And having played with rewind a fair amount in other games, I can say that it can be very flashy and over the top, but I can also see how it could easily be implimented in such a way as to be very understated.

And yes other tools can cover a lot of what rewind can, and rewind lacks the ability to cover certain things other tools might do better, but there is one thing inerent to rewind and that is: it allows you to easily access the tool in a streamlined manner conveniently from a race and gives you the graunlarity to easily setup any section for practice with the bonus of having a real racing environment to practice in.

I think of license tests as mostly there to help with hot laps. Learning the best way to handle a corner, the absolute fastest line and best breaking point is great... until you throw other cars into the mix.

Suddenly you have to adjust, maybe underbraking is needed, maybe you have very adverse conditions and you must choose the lesser of two evils (ie hit a guard rail a bit instead of rear ending someone).

Only rewind let's you practice an infinite set of real racing situations easily with almost no setup required and without having to go into some designated learning section of the game.

Rewind isn't a catch all make you great tool, but I think it definitely does offer some options that are otherwise not available.

The easy of use is a plus. I agree. But that alone is a reason to include it in the game?

You see, the presentation is not my biggest problem with it. What bothers me the most are the consequences.

As I said before, GT never forced a hardcore simulation in the overall but it always had the challenges. Mostly it is open and allow people to go over the top to easily beat races, but it always had the hard ones with limitations. Let's look at the driving missions in GT4. You can't B-Spec them. You have one car with one setup and one situation to overcome. Some of them are very hard and one is insanely hard. The infamous mission 34. The reason it is insane is having to perfect 140+ corners (if I remember well) without a single mistake. If you throw rewind in the equation the situation changes immensely. You still have to perfect 140+ corners but now you can make how many mistakes you want. It totally defeats the purpose of the mission.

Let's look at the S license tests. A full lap around a track, little to no mistakes allowed. Throw rewind in and the whole purpose of the tests is gone.

Bottom line, not making mistakes is the heart of racing. I will use Lewis Hamilton as an example. He recently (unfortunately I can't remember the race, someone can refresh my memory) was in third place (refreshment may also be needed here) and crashed at the end of a race. Totally screwed up his race by being inexperienced and agitated. That is the sort of problem a professional and talented racer has to deal with and it's an important lesson to be learned. It may be the hardest and utmost lesson. If you add rewind, you throw that away.

My main problem with rewind is, while it helps at first, eventually you will have to take it away or you will actually hinder the learning process. It's use must be limited.
 
i think you guys need to agree to disagree on rewind..lol

personally I can do without it.

My 2 cents.:)
 
I was waiting to post this in the other thread, but since you brought the discussion here...



The easy of use is a plus. I agree. But that alone is a reason to include it in the game?

You see, the presentation is not my biggest problem with it. What bothers me the most are the consequences.

As I said before, GT never forced a hardcore simulation in the overall but it always had the challenges. Mostly it is open and allow people to go over the top to easily beat races, but it always had the hard ones with limitations. Let's look at the driving missions in GT4. You can't B-Spec them. You have one car with one setup and one situation to overcome. Some of them are very hard and one is insanely hard. The infamous mission 34. The reason it is insane is having to perfect 140+ corners (if I remember well) without a single mistake. If you throw rewind in the equation the situation changes immensely. You still have to perfect 140+ corners but now you can make how many mistakes you want. It totally defeats the purpose of the mission.

Let's look at the S license tests. A full lap around a track, little to no mistakes allowed. Throw rewind in and the whole purpose of the tests is gone.

Bottom line, not making mistakes is the heart of racing. I will use Lewis Hamilton as an example. He recently (unfortunately I can't remember the race, someone can refresh my memory) was in third place (refreshment may also be needed here) and crashed at the end of a race. Totally screwed up his race by being inexperienced and agitated. That is the sort of problem a professional and talented racer has to deal with and it's an important lesson to be learned. It may be the hardest and utmost lesson. If you add rewind, you throw that away.

My main problem with rewind is, while it helps at first, eventually you will have to take it away or you will actually hinder the learning process. It's use must be limited.

I ablsolutely agree, rewind needs to have it's limits.

Whether that means it's just plain not accessible or using it means you get some kind of marker showing you did is kind of up to the situation.

I look at it like beating license tests: you can bronze them all and you still pass. Look at this as beating something using rewind.

Then you can choose to try extra hard and gold them all. Look at this as doing it without rewind.

In both cases (bronze or gold) you move on, you beat it. But if you bronze it, you only get bronze to show for it, gold them and you have that to show off.

This is already represented in f3 by hotlaps being certified. If you rewind, you are marked as rewind. It's fine, go ahead and do it, but when you are ready to move on up, do it without rewind and get your certified (gold cup) time!

I didn't think anyone assumed rewind would be in license tests... but again, either they need to be marked or just not have rewind available. That woudl be up to the dsigner on what they feel is best.

I don't think anyone is saying rewind should be always available and have no repercussions. We can all appreciate that there should be some recognition for using vs not using rewind. So if that's the issue, maybe I didn't make myself clear on that fact but it's just because I thought it was assumed.

So for GT I would do something like this:

Online races - no rewind obviously
Single player arcade - rewind
Single player career - rewind is available but marks every race you win with rewind with an * so you can come back and try to clear them all without rewind later (kind of like going back and cleaning up your 3rd and 2nd place finishes so you have 1st place finished your whole career) and like any other driving aid, having rewind turned on means you will get less Cr after a race.
License tests - Rewind is not available
Races and special events specifically designed to challenge you in a certain way - either no rewind or rewind marks it and whatever bonus you would get for completing it only comes for beating it without rewind (ie lets say beating mission 34 gets you 100,000 Cr and a sweet Car. Well do it with rewind and it gets marked as done with rewind but no Cr and no bonus car. Come back and beat it without rewind and collect your reward)

As you said above, there are some races you couldn't bspec, same with rewind. It can be used in some places, but where it's not appropriate, it can't be.

BTW ease of use of a learning tool is absolutely a reason to include it! I mean if you currently only have slide rules at your school, but graphing calculators can do the same thing faster, more conveniently and more easily, they should definitely be used.

Actually when I was taking college math classes that was exactly the case. At one point those classes required you own a slide rule. Then when graphing calculators became affordable, they were required.

Same with rewind. I hate license tests, and I am good enough to pass them on the first or second try usually... I can't imagine anyone less skilled than me wanting to go learn from license tests until they were at least decent enough to not just be always frustrated by them. That's where rewind comes into play, use rewind until you have some basics down, now graduate to doing the harder stuff and doing it without rewind!

Just like easy difficulty, driving lines, cosmetic damage, standard physics etc... all things that can be good to take the bite out of the game for lower skilled players, but things there is a certain level of satisfaction in turning off as you get better.

I remember when I started turning off assists and went to manual shift on cars... it was harder and I didn't win as much, but man it felt great! I am sure most of us have gone through similar and rewind is just like that.
 
Last edited:
i think you guys need to agree to disagree on rewind..lol

I disagree! :D

personally I can do without it.

My 2 cents.:)

So can I. But does that mean no one else should be able to have it? I can do without automatic transmissions, but I wouldn't say that's a good reason to not have it in the game, especially if someone else might benfit from having it.
 
I was waiting to post this in the other thread, but since you brought the discussion here...



The easy of use is a plus. I agree. But that alone is a reason to include it in the game?

You see, the presentation is not my biggest problem with it. What bothers me the most are the consequences.

As I said before, GT never forced a hardcore simulation in the overall but it always had the challenges. Mostly it is open and allow people to go over the top to easily beat races, but it always had the hard ones with limitations. Let's look at the driving missions in GT4. You can't B-Spec them. You have one car with one setup and one situation to overcome. Some of them are very hard and one is insanely hard. The infamous mission 34. The reason it is insane is having to perfect 140+ corners (if I remember well) without a single mistake. If you throw rewind in the equation the situation changes immensely. You still have to perfect 140+ corners but now you can make how many mistakes you want. It totally defeats the purpose of the mission.
B-Spec would probably earn you an automatic loss. Anyway, I don't see the problem. You could do it without rewind if you wanted to. To someone like me who sees the Challenges as annoyance # 15 you must do to get car X, I'd prefer not to be bothered doing it. Again, one's actions do not effect another person. The challenge will still be there, plain as day waiting for all comers. And the shortcut would be there for people who aren't interested but are forced to go through with it.

Let's look at the S license tests. A full lap around a track, little to no mistakes allowed. Throw rewind in and the whole purpose of the tests is gone.
I wouldn't miss it at all. The license tests helped me learn to drive yes, but going for all gold didn't. For one thing, the accuracy of some of the older GT games is questionable. On top of that, I can learn on my own time. I don't need a license test to learn. Had it not been for prize cars, all my licenses would be bronze. Rewind wouldn't change a thing. If getting gold is some noble task that's worthy of praise, go get it and brag about it. If gold license is chore #25 on the list to unlock all cars, find a way around it.

Bottom line, not making mistakes is the heart of racing. I will use Lewis Hamilton as an example. He recently (unfortunately I can't remember the race, someone can refresh my memory) was in third place (refreshment may also be needed here) and crashed at the end of a race. Totally screwed up his race by being inexperienced and agitated. That is the sort of problem a professional and talented racer has to deal with and it's an important lesson to be learned. It may be the hardest and utmost lesson. If you add rewind, you throw that away.
No, because I just wouldn't use rewind in that situation. Same goes for 1000's of other people.

My main problem with rewind is, while it helps at first, eventually you will have to take it away or you will actually hinder the learning process. It's use must be limited.
Not must. Aside from saying must you are correct. It's just like training wheels, driving line, TCS, etc. You outgrow it at some point. In GT2 and GT3 I drove only with auto transmission, TCS, and stability control on at all times. In GT4 the first thing I did was turn it off, I even went back to GT3 and turned it all off. This goes 100% against your entire point.



Rewind will only serve as a benefit. And it would be even better combined with practice sessions. They are not mutually exclusive, that's pretty obvious.

As for style in GT, which you brought up before, I didn't notice. You compared GT's line to Forza's. That was the first time I ever thought about how they were different. It just doesn't matter (IMO). GT and Forza do have unique styles. But is one better? No, not absolutely. Is rewind "cheesey"? Absolutely not, I don't know how you're going to retry a corner without backing up. I can see rewind fitting into GT quite easily. As far as style goes, just do it like Forza, which just has cars backing up. Practical and to the point.

With a fully customizable practice mode that includes track sections and rewind, GT will most likely open up to more users while simultaneously lending additional tools to pros. I think it's safe to say most people here would be beyond need of both features. But would they not benefit from them? It's kind of dismissive to flat out say no.




So for GT I would do something like this:

Online races - no rewind obviously
Single player arcade - rewind
Single player career - rewind is available but marks every race you win with rewind with an * so you can come back and try to clear them all without rewind later (kind of like going back and cleaning up your 3rd and 2nd place finishes so you have 1st place finished your whole career) and like any other driving aid, having rewind turned on means you will get less Cr after a race.
License tests - Rewind is not available
Races and special events specifically designed to challenge you in a certain way - either no rewind or rewind marks it and whatever bonus you would get for completing it only comes for beating it without rewind (ie lets say beating mission 34 gets you 100,000 Cr and a sweet Car. Well do it with rewind and it gets marked as done with rewind but no Cr and no bonus car. Come back and beat it without rewind and collect your reward)

Makes sense, though I'm more for utterly total freedom in single player. Seeing how most of the people playing the "proper way" are after bragging rights, use the marker idea and mark everything. People get cars and full money even with rewind, but your driving profile let's the world know. No one will care except the traditional single player types. And all the online players would ignore it as it would be meaningless to them. But that's really a stop gap measure for the even better but less likely idea: Online is fully divided from single player and everything is open from day 1.
 
Last edited:
Rewind is not available and...

You practice a track in sections, and then when you're not practicing, you're forced to run through an entire track like it was meant to be.

JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE. O_O

What's that? A game claiming to be the real driving simulator actually trying to simulate real life? What a novel idea!
 
Rewind is not available and...

You practice a track in sections with a color changing line on the gorund showinng you the best route and get magically teleported back to the start of the section when you hit the end, and then when you're not practicing, you're forced to run through an entire track pausing and restarting sometimes or just bspecing through it like it was meant to be.

JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE. O_O

I corrected your post a bit :D
 
I am bringing the same old arguments from another thread where it's already been beaten to death here :D
Yes I did.

In real life, you can have a driver that drives for you.

The racing line is also a representation of what equates to a voiceless racing coach.

Both are realistic as

1. you CAN paint the ground to represent where to accelerate/brake.
2. you CAN have another driver race for you to win a race.
3. you CAN'T rewind time.
4. Restart is unrealistic? yes it is, in the same way that you don't die in real life when you crash in GT is unrealistic.
 
Yes I did.

In real life, you can have a driver that drives for you.

The racing line is also a representation of what equates to a voiceless racing coach.

Both are realistic as

1. you CAN paint the ground to represent where to accelerate/brake.
2. you CAN have another driver race for you to win a race.
3. you CAN'T rewind time.
4. Restart is unrealistic? yes it is, in the same way that you don't die in real life when you crash in GT is unrealistic.

Well there you go then, you can't restart in real life, you can't be invincible in real life and you can't rewind time in real life.

Glad we got it covered now that things that don't happen in real life are acceptable in the game. Whew!
 
1. you CAN paint the ground to represent where to accelerate/brake.
2. you CAN have another driver race for you to win a race.
3. you CAN'T rewind time.
4. Restart is unrealistic? yes it is, in the same way that you don't die in real life when you crash in GT is unrealistic.

1. Try 1 in an F1 race
2. Have your drive alter time
3. True, unless your in a sim of some kind
4. GT could surely lock the race for a period of 1 year. PS3 has a clock.
 
Well there you go then, you can't restart in real life, you can't be invincible in real life and you can't rewind time in real life.

Glad we got it covered now that things that don't happen in real life are acceptable in the game. Whew!
Restart is a necessary evil in game.

You'll also notice that you can't restart a race in GT4, you can only quit and then re-enter. Restart is necessary to save a reasonable amount of time. Can you save time with rewind?

1. Try 1 in an F1 race
2. Have your drive alter time
3. True, unless your in a sim of some kind
4. GT could surely lock the race for a period of 1 year. PS3 has a clock.
1. Okay? Sure...
2. At least time is still flowing forward. and, if you notice, if your driver goes off track and gets over taken, he can't rewind! WOW!
3. Yup, and a sim should simulate what actually happens in real life as long as it's not overly tedious.
4. Okay, I'll ring PD up to make a special modification for your copy of GT5.
 
Can you save time with rewind?

Did you just really ask that?

It's only been a core argument about why rewind is a good learning tool ie you don't have to drive a whole lap to practice that one corner... yeah I would say that saves time...
 
Did you just really ask that?

It's only been a core argument about why rewind is a good learning tool ie you don't have to drive a whole lap to practice that one corner... yeah I would say that saves time...
Who said you have to drive a whole track. The thread title says practice in sections.

For a game that claims to be a real driving simulator, it should TRY to simulate as much as it can, being wary of constraints. Moving time backwards is not real. You can only correct mistakes by moving forward through time. The 30 second difference between rewinding one corner and going back through the whole section to get to that corner is a worthy trade off to preserve the moniker of simulation.
 
Last edited:
B-Spec would probably earn you an automatic loss. Anyway, I don't see the problem. You could do it without rewind if you wanted to. To someone like me who sees the Challenges as annoyance # 15 you must do to get car X, I'd prefer not to be bothered doing it. Again, one's actions do not effect another person. The challenge will still be there, plain as day waiting for all comers. And the shortcut would be there for people who aren't interested but are forced to go through with it.

Bolded sentence pretty much sums it up. You don't understand the goal of the mission, the reason it's there. As I said, rewind would completely destroy the whole reason why they created that mission.

I wouldn't miss it at all. The license tests helped me learn to drive yes, but going for all gold didn't. For one thing, the accuracy of some of the older GT games is questionable. On top of that, I can learn on my own time. I don't need a license test to learn. Had it not been for prize cars, all my licenses would be bronze. Rewind wouldn't change a thing. If getting gold is some noble task that's worthy of praise, go get it and brag about it. If gold license is chore #25 on the list to unlock all cars, find a way around it.

It's not about what you would miss or not. It's about why they make you do that test, to force you to manage an entire lap without mistakes.

No, because I just wouldn't use rewind in that situation. Same goes for 1000's of other people.

Speak for yourself. Many get accommodated.

Not must. Aside from saying must you are correct. It's just like training wheels, driving line, TCS, etc. You outgrow it at some point. In GT2 and GT3 I drove only with auto transmission, TCS, and stability control on at all times. In GT4 the first thing I did was turn it off, I even went back to GT3 and turned it all off. This goes 100% against your entire point.

Not really. Sure, people can choose to evolve by themselves but my point wasn't that you must limit it or people just won't evolve. My point was that there are places in the game that rewind is just not welcome and shouldn't be allowed.

In racing you have to hold back your impulses and keep concentrated so you don't make mistakes. GT is about teaching people how to race and that's why they have the challenging license tests and driving missions to teach you the utmost racing lesson: don't screw up! If you let people rewind in those situations, you won't be teaching anything lol.

Rewind will only serve as a benefit. And it would be even better combined with practice sessions. They are not mutually exclusive, that's pretty obvious.

Indeed, rewind does work well with practice sections.

As for style in GT, which you brought up before, I didn't notice. You compared GT's line to Forza's. That was the first time I ever thought about how they were different. It just doesn't matter (IMO). GT and Forza do have unique styles. But is one better? No, not absolutely. Is rewind "cheesey"? Absolutely not, I don't know how you're going to retry a corner without backing up. I can see rewind fitting into GT quite easily. As far as style goes, just do it like Forza, which just has cars backing up. Practical and to the point.

If you can't see it, no problem. It doesn't make it any less cheesy. It does look goofy and weird and need a lot of work before it can be put into GT without looking stupid.

With a fully customizable practice mode that includes track sections and rewind, GT will most likely open up to more users while simultaneously lending additional tools to pros. I think it's safe to say most people here would be beyond need of both features. But would they not benefit from them? It's kind of dismissive to flat out say no.

I'm saying it must be limited or it will defeat the purpose of some aspects of the game. I'm not saying it should be kept completely out of the game.
 
Last edited:
as much as i think of it, but i just cant get the connection between the said kind of a practice mode (opening post) and the rewind feature, as stated in the first few posts in this thread...

Sorry, theres just no link between both.
Both are 2 completely seperate things and i would be excited to see such a practice mode. it would be awesome to master corner after corner in order to get some ace laps in the end.

And i dont want to see a rewind feature at all in GT. Never ever.
 
This issue on rewind will never be resolved, thats why we already have multiple locked threads.

On one side we have people who believe that the game should have whatever feature anyone wants, and they can forever argue that point because 'other game have it' or 'other sims have it'.
Call GT5 a sim, they argue its not, call GT5 a game and it can be as unrealistic as you want. They are right in their own mind, we must stop trying to convince them.

On the other side, we have the majority who accept GT5 for what it is and understand the nature of the current PD development team, it may change if for some strange reason KY goes nuts. Rewind is not part of what we have come to expect of a GT game and it wouldn't fit, in the same way we don't expect the current president to get drunk in a vegas strip club and spend an evening spending taxpayers money on female company.

Practice track sections, when associated with rewind will forever be condemned the same fate as rewind. As such, im expecting yet more bickering and eventually a lock on this thread.
 
This issue on rewind will never be resolved, thats why we already have multiple locked threads.

On one side we have people who believe that the game should have whatever feature anyone wants, and they can forever argue that point because 'other game have it' or 'other sims have it'.
Call GT5 a sim, they argue its not, call GT5 a game and it can be as unrealistic as you want. They are right in their own mind, we must stop trying to convince them.

On the other side, we have the majority who accept GT5 for what it is and understand the nature of the current PD development team, it may change if for some strange reason KY goes nuts. Rewind is not part of what we have come to expect of a GT game and it wouldn't fit, in the same way we don't expect the current president to get drunk in a vegas strip club and spend an evening spending taxpayers money on female company.

Practice track sections, when associated with rewind will forever be condemned the same fate as rewind. As such, im expecting yet more bickering and eventually a lock on this thread.

Off course there will be more bickering if you insist on misrepresenting what other people write. It is that kind of attitude that leads to bickering and locked threads. Never have I suggested that GT should have rewind or sector practice because other games or sims have it. Nor have I been hypocritical talking about whether GT is a sim or a game. Claiming that your "side" understands the true nature of GT is rather presumptuous.

To summarize my view:
1. Rewind/sector practice can be a useful tool to help people (including myself) learn how to drive better.
2. While BOTH are unrealistic, NEITHER are unsimlike.
3. Sector practice is in most respects a subset of rewind. Almost anything that you can do with sector practice you can do with rewind.

While 1. hasn't been proven it has been well supported. 2. is a matter of fact not opinion. I understand why people may think it is unsimlike but that thinking is incorrect. I know some people won't agree but it is true. I'm not sure how people can argue against 3.

I think the rewind argument has caused many people to polarize their positions. Instead of holding onto a reasonable argument they have made their views more and more extreme to the point where they are no longer logical.

To have the opinion that you don't want rewind in GT is fine. To believe that it won't significantly help people learn is a little tenuous but that is my opinion and the opposite hasn't been proven with more than anecdotes. To be sure that rewind definitely won't help people learn how to drive is absurd. Therefore, while having the opinion that you don't want rewind in GT is fine, to base that opinion on "the fact" that it won't help people learn to drive is flawed logic.

Everyone needs to take a step back and carefully think about what they think and what they are arguing and not to let the argument drive their opinion from one that is perfectly acceptable to one that is illogical. It is human nature to polarize opinions in a heated argument but it is rather detrimental to having a useful debate.
 
1. Okay? Sure...
2. At least time is still flowing forward. and, if you notice, if your driver goes off track and gets over taken, he can't rewind! WOW!
3. Yup, and a sim should simulate what actually happens in real life as long as it's not overly tedious.
4. Okay, I'll ring PD up to make a special modification for your copy of GT5.

1. You would not be allowed, GT is not a sim according to you.
2. Time is not at 1X speed, GT is not a sim according to you.
3. Rewind is not overly tedious, and neither you nor I can say it does not fit or does fit within GT, that is opinion.
4. It would be for your copy, as you can't redo a race in 5 seconds, so you think GT is not a sim.

Your argument against rewind is pretty much this:
You can't go back in time in real life, so rewind is fake.

You completely ignore the many things that can be done in GT that can't be done in real life that are not a result of hardware limitations. Racing Line, B-Spec time multiplayer, stnd physics, instant restart, etc.

You are comfortable with the things in GT already, you are not comfortable with rewind and so make an illogical argument against it.



For a game that claims to be a real driving simulator, it should TRY to simulate as much as it can, being wary of constraints. Moving time backwards is not real. You can only correct mistakes by moving forward through time. The 30 second difference between rewinding one corner and going back through the whole section to get to that corner is a worthy trade off to preserve the moniker of simulation.

Except the moniker is never lost due to rewind. Any driver can rewind in real life, just let him use a sim. GT should not limit would you can do for arbitrary reasons. Since rewind is a viable tool for any real driver, and as GT is a sim rewind belongs in GT.

There is no trade, by implementing practice sections without rewind, you are only making it less effective. That's all you're doing.



Bolded sentence pretty much sums it up. You don't understand the goal of the mission, the reason it's there. As I said, rewind would completely destroy the whole reason why they created that mission.
No, the bold only indicates that the reason that it's there doesn't matter to me. If whatever prize is given for completing the mission is not available else where, I'm forced to do it even if I don't want to. I could care less about the thrill of completing it in that case. It's a difference of opinion. The mission to you is something special. To me, it's an annoyance if it's keeping me from something I want. If there was no prize car? Sure, the mission would be a fun challenge and I just wouldn't use rewind.


It's not about what you would miss or not. It's about why they make you do that test, to force you to manage an entire lap without mistakes.
Which I could do anywhere else, and not only that, I'd do it better because I would do it for the sake of getting better. If there is a prize component to licenses, it becomes a chore. If there is no prize, it is as you say.


Speak for yourself. Many get accommodated.

Reply:
Bottom line, not making mistakes is the heart of racing. I will use Lewis Hamilton as an example. He recently (unfortunately I can't remember the race, someone can refresh my memory) was in third place (refreshment may also be needed here) and crashed at the end of a race. Totally screwed up his race by being inexperienced and agitated. That is the sort of problem a professional and talented racer has to deal with and it's an important lesson to be learned. It may be the hardest and utmost lesson. If you add rewind, you throw that away.
You're implying that people will use rewind and throw out the lesson, you spoke for others.


If you can't see it, no problem. It doesn't make it any less cheesy. It does look goofy and weird and need a lot of work before it can be put into GT without looking stupid.
But this is your opinion, like me saying it's not cheesy is my opinion. We're both right, we're both wrong.

I'm saying it must be limited or it will defeat the purpose of some aspects of the game. I'm not saying it should be kept completely out of the game.
IMO, the primary focus of rewind is practice. IMO, single player is there to let the individual player do whatever he wants. If someone uses all of GT mode as practice, so be it. If they don't play GT as a sim (which is already possible) so be it. Also, people will interpret some aspects of the game differently. It's plainly obvious that career mode is not special to me. I already self defeat the purpose of certain aspects of the game by not liking them (if they get in the way of what I want), it would odd if I was the only one.

If you could press a button and have career mode completed in full (with a marker saying so for those who care about bragging), there would be no point in putting rewind in career mode except in the hypothetical practice section mode (license tests would not use them, but if licenses were expanded as training tools, you should be able to rewind licenses for practice purposes, just void passing the test).

In racing you have to hold back your impulses and keep concentrated so you don't make mistakes. GT is about teaching people how to race and that's why they have the challenging license tests and driving missions to teach you the utmost racing lesson: don't screw up! If you let people rewind in those situations, you won't be teaching anything lol.
If they are interested in learning, rewind will help them. If they aren't, rewind is not at fault.


On one side we have people who believe that the game should have whatever feature anyone wants, and they can forever argue that point because 'other game have it' or 'other sims have it'.
Call GT5 a sim, they argue its not, call GT5 a game and it can be as unrealistic as you want. They are right in their own mind, we must stop trying to convince them.

I've never said GT was not a sim, except by the definitions thrown around by others. Rewind and sim do not conflict. There's no need to stop trying to convince me either, give me a good argument and my mind is changed.
 
Off course there will be more bickering if you insist on misrepresenting what other people write. It is that kind of attitude that leads to bickering and locked threads. Never have I suggested that GT should have rewind or sector practice because other games or sims have it. Nor have I been hypocritical talking about whether GT is a sim or a game. Claiming that your "side" understands the true nature of GT is rather presumptuous.

To summarize my view:
1. Rewind/sector practice can be a useful tool to help people (including myself) learn how to drive better.
2. While BOTH are unrealistic, NEITHER are unsimlike.
3. Sector practice is in most respects a subset of rewind. Almost anything that you can do with sector practice you can do with rewind.

While 1. hasn't been proven it has been well supported. 2. is a matter of fact not opinion. I understand why people may think it is unsimlike but that thinking is incorrect. I know some people won't agree but it is true. I'm not sure how people can argue against 3.

I think the rewind argument has caused many people to polarize their positions. Instead of holding onto a reasonable argument they have made their views more and more extreme to the point where they are no longer logical.

To have the opinion that you don't want rewind in GT is fine. To believe that it won't significantly help people learn is a little tenuous but that is my opinion and the opposite hasn't been proven with more than anecdotes. To be sure that rewind definitely won't help people learn how to drive is absurd. Therefore, while having the opinion that you don't want rewind in GT is fine, to base that opinion on "the fact" that it won't help people learn to drive is flawed logic.

Everyone needs to take a step back and carefully think about what they think and what they are arguing and not to let the argument drive their opinion from one that is perfectly acceptable to one that is illogical. It is human nature to polarize opinions in a heated argument but it is rather detrimental to having a useful debate.


1. At no point did i state that rewind is not a useful tool, read carefully. It may be useful, that doesn't mean it belings in GT5. The same goes for practicing sections, it may be useful but it doesnt mean it belongs it GT.

2. It is not presumptious for me to state that GT naturally shouldn't have rewind. It has never been in any previous version, nor mentioned on any feature list, nor hinted at by anyone in PD. Until rewind is part of a GT game, it doesn't belong in the spirit of GT games.

3. For those who need rewind, GT isn't for them. It isn't in the game, therefore the game doesn't fill their needs.

4. My opinion, and the opinion of many others, was that rewind was a no-no for GT. This was decided prior to any debate.

I challenge anyone to prove to me that by not wanting rewind, by the nature of the GT series so far, i am being 'illogical'.

To practice sections of a track, this is an idea, but an idea thats not getting much support because of the way it has been described and the suggestions of implementing it.
There are many simple ways to practice a section of track, it all depends on how much time you have.
 
I challenge anyone to prove to me that by not wanting rewind, by the nature of the GT series so far, i am being 'illogical'.

1. Rewind can in no way diminish your experience in GT, it can make other people better/ let them get better faster, so online is less plagued by poor drivers.

2. GT is partially designed to help people understand cars and driving, rewind can aid this.

C. You're losing nothing, assuming dev time on the feature is small. By being against it for no reason, you are being illogical.
 
1. Rewind can in no way diminish your experience in GT, it can make other people better/ let them get better faster, so online is less plagued by poor drivers.

It can possibly make other people better. It also can make other people lazy and get them to 100% in the game whilst still be quite a poor driver. This means any rankings they may recieve in game are worthless, and that in turn means it will be harder to distinguish poor driver online. Without rewind the driver would actually be forced to learn to drive better, therefore increase skill level online.

2. GT is partially designed to help people understand cars and driving, rewind can aid this.

Understanding cars and driving has been achieved by previous versions of GT, without this feature, and no proof has been shown that users will understand a car mechanices better by using rewind. It may help driving in some circumstances but cannot compare to the grind of past GT games.

C. You're losing nothing, assuming dev time on the feature is small. By being against it for no reason, you are being illogical.

You are losing the pedigree of GT. It would take only a little dev time to add guns to cars, maybe the odd flamethrower, it doesnt mean it fits into the theme/style/pedigree of GT series.

*
 
1. Rewind can in no way diminish your experience in GT, it can make other people better/ let them get better faster, so online is less plagued by poor drivers.

It can possibly make other people better. It also can make other people lazy and get them to 100% in the game whilst still be quite a poor driver. This means any rankings they may recieve in game are worthless, and that in turn means it will be harder to distinguish poor driver online. Without rewind the driver would actually be forced to learn to drive better, therefore increase skill level online.
They have a right to be lazy if they choose, or don't care about single player as that mode is not necessary in any way. There is no proof that people will be lazy anyway, so would you say about rewind applies no matter who says it.

Single player rankings are worthless with rewind or not, markers would add security for those who use rankings.

I've never seen rankings in GT5P, or many other games I've played, I've never had trouble distinguishing who is good and who is not.

2. GT is partially designed to help people understand cars and driving, rewind can aid this.

Understanding cars and driving has been achieved by previous versions of GT, without this feature, and no proof has been shown that users will understand a car mechanices better by using rewind. It may help driving in some circumstances but cannot compare to the grind of past GT games.
GT let people understand cars and driving, so GT2 - GT5 are not needed and should be axed, that's what I get from that. You disregard the quality of understand so long as it's not zero understanding. IMO, that's not how one should evaluate things.

C. You're losing nothing, assuming dev time on the feature is small. By being against it for no reason, you are being illogical.

You are losing the pedigree of GT. It would take only a little dev time to add guns to cars, maybe the odd flamethrower, it doesnt mean it fits into the theme/style/pedigree of GT series.
You're right, guns don't fit into GT.
 
You're implying that people will use rewind and throw out the lesson, you spoke for others.

I may have been to blatant with that last sentence. My intention was just telling you how by adding rewind you create the possibility of that lesson never being learned.

Also, even if I had spoken for others, what kind of logic is that? I did something wrong so you can do it too? lol.

No, the bold only indicates that the reason that it's there doesn't matter to me. If whatever prize is given for completing the mission is not available else where, I'm forced to do it even if I don't want to. I could care less about the thrill of completing it in that case. It's a difference of opinion. The mission to you is something special. To me, it's an annoyance if it's keeping me from something I want. If there was no prize car? Sure, the mission would be a fun challenge and I just wouldn't use rewind.

Which I could do anywhere else, and not only that, I'd do it better because I would do it for the sake of getting better. If there is a prize component to licenses, it becomes a chore. If there is no prize, it is as you say.

Are you telling me the reason you want rewind is to be able to cheat your way through things you find annoying in the game? What happened to challenging yourself, which is also a purpose for those missions? What about leaving them be since they are too hard for you?

I never completed mission 34. I definitely don't want to cheat my way through it. It's sitting there waiting for the day I'm ready to try it.

But this is your opinion, like me saying it's not cheesy is my opinion. We're both right, we're both wrong.

If it happen to be mine, and of many others that play the game, it's enough reason to be left out of the game.

IMO, the primary focus of rewind is practice. IMO, single player is there to let the individual player do whatever he wants. If someone uses all of GT mode as practice, so be it. If they don't play GT as a sim (which is already possible) so be it. Also, people will interpret some aspects of the game differently. It's plainly obvious that career mode is not special to me. I already self defeat the purpose of certain aspects of the game by not liking them (if they get in the way of what I want), it would odd if I was the only one.

I have to disagree that single player is there to let the player do whatever he wants. It's based on limitations. Races are based on limitations, there's no wonder GT is. If you let people use any kind of car in FF cars only races, why are there FF races to begin with? If you let people use other cars in one make races, why are there one make races? If you let people use american cars in japanese cars only races, why are there japanese cars only races?

There are many open races, but single player is not completely open at all. Nor it should be.

If you could press a button and have career mode completed in full (with a marker saying so for those who care about bragging), there would be no point in putting rewind in career mode except in the hypothetical practice section mode (license tests would not use them, but if licenses were expanded as training tools, you should be able to rewind licenses for practice purposes, just void passing the test).

If you could press a button and have career mode completed you would defeat the whole purpose of the career mode. And I like how you pretty much said that the reason you want it in career mode is for cheating.

I don't have any problem with you cheating. It's just funny :lol:

If they are interested in learning, rewind will help them. If they aren't, rewind is not at fault.

You probably should read what I said again. My whole point was that if they are interested in learning the utmost racing lesson, rewind won't help them. In fact, it may prevent them from ever learning it.
 
They have a right to be lazy if they choose, or don't care about single player as that mode is not necessary in any way. There is no proof that people will be lazy anyway, so would you say about rewind applies no matter who says it.

Yes they have a right to be lazy, but that doesn't mean it should be made easy to be lazy. In the same way as companies decided to have cheats in there games.

Single player rankings are worthless with rewind or not, markers would add security for those who use rankings.

I've never seen rankings in GT5P, or many other games I've played, I've never had trouble distinguishing who is good and who is not.

This goes back to the point that you claim rewind will make players better online. I dont see how rewind is going to stop people slamming into you, or how, in the majority of cases, its going to make the number of poor players reduce.

GT let people understand cars and driving, so GT2 - GT5 are not needed and should be axed, that's what I get from that. You disregard the quality of understand so long as it's not zero understanding. IMO, that's not how one should evaluate things.

GT did let people understand cars and driving. GT2 and so on, expanded on the core fundamentals of what GT originally achieved. GT is progessively evolving to as close as real life as possible, whilst not turning into an overly complicated hardcore sim. There is a balance between fun and sim, adding rewind in driving competition moves it too close to arcade. I understand sim's do come with rewind, but not when racing.

You're right, guns don't fit into GT.

Niether does rewind. You arguments for rewind could all be used in favour off adding guns to GT.

*
 
I may have been to blatant with that last sentence. My intention was just telling you how by adding rewind you create the possibility of that lesson never being learned.

Also, even if I had spoken for others, what kind of logic is that? I did something wrong so you can do it too? lol.
And by not adding rewind, you create the possibility of making it harder for someone to learn to drive.

No, if I did something wrong and you pointed it out, which is what happened, you should avoid doing the wrong, which you didn't. You said I spoke for other when I should not have, so it would seem that you shouldn't speak for others.


Are you telling me the reason you want rewind is to be able to cheat your way through things you find annoying in the game? What happened to challenging yourself, which is also a purpose for those missions? What about leaving them be since they are too hard for you?
I do not want rewind, I'm merely speaking of one thing that could be done with it were it included. I'll challenge myself online, where the actual game is.

I never completed mission 34. I definitely don't want to cheat my way through it. It's sitting there waiting for the day I'm ready to try it.
I put many hours of hard work into 100% ing GT4 including the SLR challenge. If I could go back and do it all over again with the press of an instant complete button, I would. Am I suddenly a good player because I beat the SLR challenge? Not at all.

Would I lose anything if anyone instantly got all the rewards I got for my hard work? Not at all.

If it happen to be mine, and of many others that play the game, it's enough reason to be left out of the game.
Possibly

I have to disagree that single player is there to let the player do whatever he wants. It's based on limitations. Races are based on limitations, there's no wonder GT is. If you let people use any kind of car in FF cars only races, why are there FF races to begin with? If you let people use other cars in one make races, why are there one make races? If you let people use american cars in japanese cars only races, why are there japanese cars only races?
Were that the case I'd simply choose to use an F1 car in the FWD races to get the prize car, then go back and use a FWD car when I can concentrate on enjoying the game. Of course, the better solution is that I start the game with everything and then enter the FWD race with a FWD car. If person A I don't know 550 miles from me uses the F1 car in the FWD race 100% of the time, that's fine.

There are many open races, but single player is not completely open at all. Nor it should be.
Opinion


If you could press a button and have career mode completed you would defeat the whole purpose of the career mode. And I like how you pretty much said that the reason you want it in career mode is for cheating.
I don't want rewind, I'm neutral towards it and against any resources being devoted to it before GT5 release. The only reason to bring up rewind/magic button as a career mode completion method is if PD does not let you start arcade and online modes with everything.

I don't have any problem with you cheating. It's just funny :lol:
It's not cheating in the first place.

You probably should read what I said again. My whole point was that if they are interested in learning the utmost racing lesson, rewind won't help them. In fact, it may prevent them from ever learning it.
My point was that your point is mistaken, or at least not a certainty.

twinturbo:

Just like there is no reason a game should be made lazy, there is no reason for it not to be.

I don't see how rewind can possibly negatively effect you.

I want full sim, fun comes from being as realistic as possible. However, this does not imply that a sim must be limited to doing things strictly as they are done in real life. There are many different aspects to a driving sim, for example. This is enough to make the statement "rewind is fake" not applicable over all.


My arguments could get guns into GT, besides my opinion that guns don't make sense and rewind does. And for the 100th time, guns in GT is fine with me as long as there is an off button. I wouldn't even know they were there.
 
Who said you have to drive a whole track. The thread title says practice in sections.

For a game that claims to be a real driving simulator, it should TRY to simulate as much as it can, being wary of constraints. Moving time backwards is not real. You can only correct mistakes by moving forward through time. The 30 second difference between rewinding one corner and going back through the whole section to get to that corner is a worthy trade off to preserve the moniker of simulation.

Yes practice sessions would ALSO save time in some cases. Rewind would save time in some cases.

Even comparatively, rewind saves time over practice sessions as you don't have to exit a race and go into an entirely different section of the game to use it, and you don't have to set up a start and end point. With rewind, at any time you just go ahead and do it and you are ready to go. Custom practice section any track you want at any time straight from career or hot lap mode.
 
Back