Project CARS 2 Hands-On Preview

Look what article comes out right when I say "I won't believe controller handling until I feel it". It's got the GTP seal of approval, so I'm more convinced now.

That's great! Controller issues got fixed just in time, as I'm much more likely to spend more time using the controller (out of necessity and not by choice) whereas I used wheel almost exclusively for pCARS 1.

I'm a dedicated wheel user so not the best review to read just days before launch but as long as I can tweak the FFB settings to get my T300 to an ideal feel I'll be happy with all the content.

Agreed, haven't used a pad since GT4. I believe as they did we'll be able to fine tune out much of the dead center.
It's going to be a great sim.

Last edited:
Interesting preview. You point out some things most media would miss, so thanks. The part about the ffb wheel worries me a bit, and i highly doubt the game will outperform Horizon Zero Dawn at the graphics front. But i cant wait to get my hands on the game next week, im really hyped!

Oh, and that BMW at Barcelona? Eargasm right there.

Interesting preview. You point out some things most media would miss, so thanks. The part about the ffb wheel worries me a bit, and i highly doubt the game will outperform Horizon Zero Dawn at the graphics front. But i cant wait to get my hands on the game next week, im really hyped!

Oh, and that BMW at Barcelona? Eargasm right there.
Impossible to compare, plus **** that 30fps noise :P

Boy this is a bite in the rump for me:

Play these games at release with my Thrustmaster on the Xbox One or wait until my One X arrives to play them on the Thrustmaster and see them as God had intended me to see them! :lol:

First world problems, indeed!

...I will not be waiting. I am not going to sit on the sidelines until early November and miss the greatest release of racing games ever.

Last edited:
Since some folks have asked us about it, I wanted to address why this has come a little later than we originally planned. There were a lot of hardware setbacks behind the scenes — including a wheel deciding to commit seppuku — but the gist of it is this: when we ran into the same sausage-curb-weak-FFB issue with a Logitech, we had to delay to make sure we got some time with other wheels. We wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with just that brand, and, after talking with a lot of the helpful Bandai-Namco guys back-channel, we figured things out.

We want to be thorough with this one, for readers' sakes. 👍

So, my thoughts on the preview build:
  • The CSL Elite didn't have the large deadzone @Terronium-12 witnessed in the Logi. There's a little bit of a deadzone dialed in at launch, most likely for pad players, but you can simply knock it down to zero.
  • The setup I ran the preview on was multiple years old, and we actually worried the graphics card wasn't up to snuff. Nonetheless, the game ran smoothly from its first load-up, at what certainly seemed a smooth 60fps. We raced with as many as two dozen cars on track without issue.
  • Because of the varying levels of graphics the PC platform entails, I left all the talk of graphics to Michael — and we're saving the more in-depth stuff for the review, anyway!
  • The 488 GT3 really does have a light helm, compared to every other GT3 car I tried. The Huracan was a favourite, lots of fun!
  • It's been 17 years since I got to drive the R30 Formula in a game. This one is worth the wait.
  • The settings that I ended up with for the Elite were, in all honesty, probably a little overkill for road cars. They gave the wheel a solid amount of weight and feedback in the GT3 and LMP900 cars, but the old Merc SEL was work to get turned in. I feel like that's probably appropriate, but hey.
  • Modifying those settings is pretty straight-forward, which I welcome.
  • The immersion is deceptive: it creeps up on you. Due to the afore-mentioned hardware setbacks, I wasn't able to play in my usual rig. I was on a smaller screen, in a raggedy old computer chair. But a lap around a snowy 'Ring in the Huracan street car was simply awesome. I felt the rear going light if I pushed, and the car wandering a bit as I headed down through Fuchsröhre. I actually backed off just before hitting the bottom point, because it felt dangerous. I can't remember the last time I've done that in a game.
  • The F50 GT at Imola. Good lord, everybody should make that one of their first combinations to drive when the game launches next month.

Since some folks have asked us about it, I wanted to address why this has come a little later than we originally planned. There were a lot of hardware setbacks behind the scenes — including a wheel deciding to commit seppuku — but the gist of it is this: when we ran into the same sausage-curb-weak-FFB issue with a Logitech, we had to delay to make sure we got some time with other wheels. We wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with just that brand, and, after talking with a lot of the helpful Bandai-Namco guys back-channel, we figured things out.

We want to be thorough with this one, for readers' sakes. 👍

So, my thoughts on the preview build:
  • The CSL Elite didn't have the large deadzone @Terronium-12 witnessed in the Logi. There's a little bit of a deadzone dialed in at launch, most likely for pad players, but you can simply knock it down to zero.
  • The setup I ran the preview on was multiple years old, and we actually worried the graphics card wasn't up to snuff. Nonetheless, the game ran smoothly from its first load-up, at what certainly seemed a smooth 60fps. We raced with as many as two dozen cars on track without issue.
  • Because of the varying levels of graphics the PC platform entails, I left all the talk of graphics to Michael — and we're saving the more in-depth stuff for the review, anyway!
  • The 488 GT3 really does have a light helm, compared to every other GT3 car I tried. The Huracan was a favourite, lots of fun!
  • It's been 17 years since I got to drive the R30 Formula in a game. This one is worth the wait.
  • The settings that I ended up with for the Elite were, in all honesty, probably a little overkill for road cars. They gave the wheel a solid amount of weight and feedback in the GT3 and LMP900 cars, but the old Merc SEL was work to get turned in. I feel like that's probably appropriate, but hey.
  • Modifying those settings is pretty straight-forward, which I welcome.
  • The immersion is deceptive: it creeps up on you. Due to the afore-mentioned hardware setbacks, I wasn't able to play in my usual rig. I was on a smaller screen, in a raggedy old computer chair. But a lap around a snowy 'Ring in the Huracan street car was simply awesome. I felt the rear going light if I pushed, and the car wandering a bit as I headed down through Fuchsröhre. I actually backed off just before hitting the bottom point, because it felt dangerous. I can't remember the last time I've done that in a game.
  • The F50 GT at Imola. Good lord, everybody should make that one of their first combinations to drive when the game launches next month.

SlipZ, thank you for the bonus back ground info.

What little patience I had left to wait for this game is disappearing...quickly!!!

Boy this is a bight in the rump for me:

Play these games at release with my Thrustmaster on the Xbox One or wait until my One X arrives to play them on the Thrustmaster and see them as God had intended me to see them! :lol:

First world problems, indeed!

...I will not be waiting. I am not going to sit on the sidelines until early November and miss the greatest release of racing games ever.
I'd worry about the FPS on the Xbox One, hope the X can get it locked though..will be hard with those crappy CPUs.

I'm really hoping SMS did not make the controller OP by over compensating for the mistakes in PC1. I'll be the first to admit I struggled with controller settings on PC1 but once you get a setting it was more the car's tire model which was the problem.

I would hate to see controller players given some sort (artificial assists/filters) of advantage over wheel players.

I'm really hoping SMS did not make the controller OP by over compensating for the mistakes in PC1. I'll be the first to admit I struggled with controller settings on PC1 but once you get a setting it was more the car's tire model which was the problem.

I would hate to see controller players given some sort (artificial assists/filters) of advantage over wheel players.
From my time with the game that will not be the case.

"Authentic is a familiar option to Assetto Corsa players that enables driving assists relative to the driven vehicle."

Seriously? Did you have to once again bring another title into this? You do know that this same option existed in pCARS 1 as well.... it was called "REAL". Why could you not reference that instead of bringing some other studio's title into this AGAIN?!?!

And people accuse other sites of shilling for certain sims........ :banghead:

"Authentic is a familiar option to Assetto Corsa players that enables driving assists relative to the driven vehicle."

Seriously? Did you have to once again bring another title into this? You do know that this same option existed in pCARS 1 as well.... it was called "REAL". Why could you not reference that instead of bringing some other studio's title into this AGAIN?!?!

What on earth are you talking about? You are so wide of the mark that it's embarrassing.

Can we hope for some ON CONSOLE preview? It would be massivelly simpler to do from dealing with all the parts of pc setup...

And i guess most of our community are console gamers :gtpflag:

There was a lot said in those first 12 paragraphs that worries me.

There’s a very real feeling of when the car goes over the limit,
👍

and once you’ve lost it there’s no coming back.
👎

But I'm feeling more and more that it would be dumb not to give this a shot. Especially nice is the in-race FFB adjust 👍👍👍

Thanks GTP team for the great insights. It's like you're reading my mind :scared:

Hey, guess what else we did? We referenced several cars in the game's car roster for having been previously featured in Gran Turismo because it's identifiable. The absolute nerve of some people to dare reference modern games people are readily attached to.

How dare we, right?

What on earth are you talking about? You are so wide of the mark that it's embarrassing.
Oh really..... So it wouldn't have been at all possible to relate it back to the previous title's feature? It's a new name for an existing feature. Had it been a brand new feature that was not seen in the game before, then fine, an external comparison is warranted. That is NOT the case here. It's a new name for an old feature. No reasonable purpose in sliding someone else's title into this article.

Hey, guess what else we did? We referenced several cars in the game's car roster for having been previously featured in Gran Turismo because it's identifiable. The absolute nerve of some people to dare reference modern games people are readily attached to.

How dare we, right?

Sure. But it is just as IDENTIFIABLE when compared to the previous title. There was ZERO reason to use another shop's title in this case.

Oh really..... So it wouldn't have been at all possible to relate it back to the previous title's feature? It's a new name for an existing feature. Had it been a brand new feature that was not seen in the game before, then fine, an external comparison is warranted. That is NOT the case here. It's a new name for an old feature. No reasonable purpose in sliding someone else's title into this article.
Step away from the keyboard and take some really deep breaths. You are totally over reacting. You really are embarrassing yourself.

This is a great write up for the game and all you are doing is ruining it for others by taking the discussion so far off topic that it's unbelievable actually. If you are unhappy with it report the post.

Last edited:

Sure. But it is just as IDENTIFIABLE when compared to the previous title. There was ZERO reason to use another shop's title in this case.
where did Assetto Corsa touch you?

Clearly there's some grievance here. I don't know what Assetto Corsa could have possibly done to you, but you have my condolences.

As an aside, I'm done with this utterly pointless discussion. Go and be disgruntled somewhere else.

Can we hope for some ON CONSOLE preview? It would be massivelly simpler to do from dealing with all the parts of pc setup...

And i guess most of our community are console gamers :gtpflag:
Yep, likely on the 18th when the embargo is lifted.

@Terronium-12 @SlipZtrEm

Are you able to talk about what you adjusted in the configuration and force feedback settings to give it a better feel?

Also, when you make contact with another car is it similiar to Project Cars 1, as in a mild rub promotes a good race?
Or is it like dare I say...
Assetto Corsa which sometimes punts you off track when contact occurs.

Back