Project Cars 2 v1.4 Update Now Available on PC — Consoles Coming Soon

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 217 comments
Gt3 slick, Barcelona they seem to wear a little faster, or it was my imagination.

Honestly today is my first time playing new patch since I've been working all week so I haven't even run authentic yet with new patch to compare. But at nurburgring gp at least they seem to be accelerating slower than they did pre patch.

Besides that the game feels great. FFB feels better even, my wheel used to feel dead on straights and couldn't feel the curbs, now i can feel everything and it feels great.

Gt3 slick, Barcelona they seem to wear a little faster, or it was my imagination.

Honestly today is my first time playing new patch since I've been working all week so I haven't even run authentic yet with new patch to compare. But at nurburgring gp at least they seem to be accelerating slower than they did pre patch.

Besides that the game feels great. FFB feels better even, my wheel used to feel dead on straights and couldn't feel the curbs, now i can feel everything and it feels great.

What wheel do you have?

Is it me or have they completely goofed up the chase cam?!? Feels like you’re traveling at 2mph everywhere and the perspectives seem all skewed. That’s if I can actually get the game to work since I decided to choose the F40 in time trial so that’s unusable at the moment!!

Is it me or have they completely goofed up the chase cam?!? Feels like you’re traveling at 2mph everywhere and the perspectives seem all skewed. That’s if I can actually get the game to work since I decided to choose the F40 in time trial so that’s unusable at the moment!!
I also run chase cam and when the game first came out it was just like you said! I'm now running FOV on the chase cam at 80 and it seems to be fairly close to "realistic".
Anything LESS than 80 (trying to get a wider view) and the car slows to a crawl and the modeling is skewed. Anything MORE than 80 (closer to the car) and it swallows up the rear end and I might as well be in Roof Cam mode.

Hopefully that helps!

I also run chase cam and when the game first came out it was just like you said! I'm now running FOV on the chase cam at 80 and it seems to be fairly close to "realistic".
Anything LESS than 80 (trying to get a wider view) and the car slows to a crawl and the modeling is skewed. Anything MORE than 80 (closer to the car) and it swallows up the rear end and I might as well be in Roof Cam mode.

Hopefully that helps!
Thanks bro, I’ll try it!

The update didn't do anything to restore the road and kerb feel that was taken away in patch 3. If anything the cars feel worse with patch 4 even without proper FFB. It feels like extra steering ratio has been added. The cars wallow and float more and are harder to turn. I used the 4 cars I drive the most as testers and they just didn't feel like they did before.

But SMS not doing anything about restoring FFB for Fanatec users is unbelievable. Were there actually that many more things that needed addressing before making the game playable again for certain platforms? Really, really disappointed with this patch.

The update didn't do anything to restore the road and kerb feel that was taken away in patch 3. If anything the cars feel worse with patch 4 even without proper FFB. It feels like extra steering ratio has been added. The cars wallow and float more and are harder to turn. I used the 4 cars I drive the most as testers and they just didn't feel like they did before.

But SMS not doing anything about restoring FFB for Fanatec users is unbelievable. Were there actually that many more things that needed addressing before making the game playable again for certain platforms? Really, really disappointed with this patch.

They reset your driver seat position, main reason for that "float".
FFB is just fine, but you have to spend time to first configure it working properly. Remember at there's values which may and will override other values if risen or lower too much, including base FFB power, maxed out and it will break FFB signals tops.
Good luck for searching best balance on FFB, my advice for search is, pick Caterham and Knockhill, switch off all driving aids and map FFB setup buttons on keyboard, play around those and when finding good balance don't jump out from track before writing down tekemetry HUD's FFB values, those aren't transferred automatically, you have to change those manually in game settings.

Ok, I'm driving at California Raceway and the Screen has gotten seriously glitchy..

Can't be dealing with this.

Edit: Reset the game and it looks Ok now.. Hopefully that was just a one off.

Ok, I'm driving at California Raceway and the Screen has gotten seriously glitchy..

Can't be dealing with this.

Edit: Reset the game and it looks Ok now.. Hopefully that was just a one off.
Happened to me too on another track. I was using improved graphics " mode for my ps4 pro so i switched it to improved resolution "and never saw it again.

They reset your driver seat position, main reason for that "float".
FFB is just fine, but you have to spend time to first configure it working properly. Remember at there's values which may and will override other values if risen or lower too much, including base FFB power, maxed out and it will break FFB signals tops.
Good luck for searching best balance on FFB, my advice for search is, pick Caterham and Knockhill, switch off all driving aids and map FFB setup buttons on keyboard, play around those and when finding good balance don't jump out from track before writing down tekemetry HUD's FFB values, those aren't transferred automatically, you have to change those manually in game settings.

The floating feeling I'm talking about is more like sliding around or a loose condition. Doens't have anything to do with seating position.

FFB is not fine. In patch 3 there was a line in the patch notes that they were improving FFB for Fanatec wheels. Instead of helping it they killed any road and kerb feel coming through the wheel. We were told that it would be fixed in patch 4, it hasn't been. It's still just and numb as it was before.

The floating feeling I'm talking about is more like sliding around or a loose condition. Doens't have anything to do with seating position.

Ok, difference between my G27(gimx@PS4) and your Fanatec doesn't make my cars to float.
I've encouraged similar float feeling from "wrong" FoV and/or bad FFB setup configuration, patch 4 made tires much more rubber like and overall car/road feedback better. For FFB I personally know how easy it's setup in a way which masks either of information.
Just hoping luck for you on your FFB setup sessions.

FFB is not fine. In patch 3 there was a line in the patch notes that they were improving FFB for Fanatec wheels. Instead of helping it they killed any road and kerb feel coming through the wheel. We were told that it would be fixed in patch 4, it hasn't been. It's still just and numb as it was before.

This is just really hard to understand, I have played this game from patch 3, not earlier, and I have made my FFB setup once at start with v3, and it's telling lot and bit more than lot from kerbs/wheels/car/undulations/gear changes etc, patch 4 didn't do any harm on me. Unlucky for you.

Ok, difference between my G27(gimx@PS4) and your Fanatec doesn't make my cars to float.
I've encouraged similar float feeling from "wrong" FoV and/or bad FFB setup configuration, patch 4 made tires much more rubber like and overall car/road feedback better. For FFB I personally know how easy it's setup in a way which masks either of information.
Just hoping luck for you on your FFB setup sessions.

This is just really hard to understand, I have played this game from patch 3, not earlier, and I have made my FFB setup once at start with v3, and it's telling lot and bit more than lot from kerbs/wheels/car/undulations/gear changes etc, patch 4 didn't do any harm on me. Unlucky for you.

One thing that I did notice last night was that the tire pressures were about 3 to 4 pounds higher when hot than I had them set before this patch in the Ferrari 488 GT3. I wonder if that could have something to do with the sliding/floating feeling if they have redone. I never test but I might just go test that car to see if I can get the tire pressures set again. That is if the changes you make in testing stay when you actually go racing.

Before patch 3 I had no complaints with FFB at all. I had it dialed in exactly like I want it Now it's a mess.

One thing that I did notice last night was that the tire pressures were about 3 to 4 pounds higher when hot than I had them set before this patch in the Ferrari 488 GT3. I wonder if that could have something to do with the sliding/floating feeling if they have redone. I never test but I might just go test that car to see if I can get the tire pressures set again. That is if the changes you make in testing stay when you actually go racing.

Before patch 3 I had no complaints with FFB at all. I had it dialed in exactly like I want it Now it's a mess.
There's one thing, you probably also need to trash your old tunes, their latest changes to "physics" broke also nearly every my tune which were created on patch level 3, several cars are better to handle on default setups now than were with good tunes.
Personally not wasting too much time on tunes until their product starts to be on stable condition, meaning no more constant changes on "physics", just playing game with current limitations and trying to enjoy it as is and giggling when not. :dopey:

There's one thing, you probably also need to trash your old tunes, their latest changes to "physics" broke also nearly every my tune which were created on patch level 3, several cars are better to handle on default setups now than were with good tunes.
Personally not wasting too much time on tunes until their product starts to be on stable condition, meaning no more constant changes on "physics", just playing game with current limitations and trying to enjoy it as is and giggling when not. :dopey:

I only had a short time this evening to check a couple of things but I did find out why the LMP3 Ligier probably felt so bad. When I went in to adjust the tire pressures I noticed that they had been reset to wets. I guess that the patch update did that somehow. Reset them to slicks and it seemed to tighten up that particular car.

But still no FFB fix anywhere in sight. SMS are very quiet about this issue.

I've been playing on the PS4 Pro with 5.50 beta 3 with supersampling mode on and I'm skeptical the supersampling is working correctly in this game now. There is so many jaggies again.

Turning the supersampling mode off doesn't change anything nor does changing it to enhanced frame rate or visuals. Looks to be the same pixel count. I'm noticing weird, what I think is, checker boarding artefacts also.

I've been playing on the PS4 Pro with 5.50 beta 3 with supersampling mode on and I'm skeptical the supersampling is working correctly in this game now. There is so many jaggies again.

Turning the supersampling mode off doesn't change anything nor does changing it to enhanced frame rate or visuals. Looks to be the same pixel count. I'm noticing weird, what I think is, checker boarding artefacts also.
As supersampling is at system level (like boost mode) surely it will only have an effect in games which have no PS4 Pro support. PC2 is Pro aware and so I assume that stuff like boost and supersampling at system level are therefore irrelevant?

As supersampling is at system level (like boost mode) surely it will only have an effect in games which have no PS4 Pro support. PC2 is Pro aware and so I assume that stuff like boost and supersampling at system level are therefore irrelevant?

This is what I assumed also but when booted up you get the notification saying Supersampling Active. I only saw it once but will check again. I'm not sure supersampling is working correctly at the moment. Need to test more I think.

I had my first go with the game post-patch at the weekend (original XBO, Thrustmaster 458 Italia TX, no add-ons).

Performance wise the game seemed decent and after a quick go in career in the karts which I just couldn't get on with at all, very loose and floaty with very little control I went on to Nurburgring GP in the Audi R8.

Started off with 19 AI in clear conditions and with the default FFB settings I could feel pretty much nothing at all and the car felt totally disconnected from the track. I tried each of the flavours and tweaked the individual settings within each but found very little improvement at all. Road feel was totally absent, almost glass like and even the kerbs brought hardly any reaction from the wheel.

In addition the wheel feels really ratchety and rough throughout, not smooth at all and as others have mentioned there is the additional problem of the wild jerking from side to side with some settings. Down the start finish straight on my first runs it was hopeless and almost impossible to control the car.

Another little annoyance was when I left the game paused for a while there was a loss of ffb when returning to the game.

As for the handing of the car I was getting absolutely no clue through the wheel as to what the car was doing, no feeling of loss of grip, locking up, nada. As a result I felt unable to really push the car and the lap times suffered majorly as a result and racing was almost impossible because I was so off the pace.

Apart from the FFB or lack thereof the car also just seemed to lose all rear grip suddenly and without warning and would go into a spin like it was on ice. It kind of reminded me of what used to frustrate me in Forza with those uncontrollable spins in that game. I could never find any confidence or consistency as a result. Certainly not something I ever experienced in pCars1.

Following on from this I tried a smaller grid (12 AI) and gave the same circuit and car another go. What a world of difference that was from what I had found the previous two sessions in terms of the handing of the car. My laps times improved by around 7 seconds a lap!! The FFB was still very muted but kerb effects were a little better and the car feel was improved although still lacking in any feel of the track surface. I was at least now able to race properly though and the wheel inputs were accurate and the odd sudden lack of grip was no longer apparent. The racing with the AI was really fun and they were quite competitive even at 70%. Having started at the back of a random grid and and getting past several into turn 1 it took me some time to make my way through the rest and it wasn't until lap 8 that I made a pass to take the the lead. Took the win but only by half a second from a group of cars behind.

I then tried 14, 15 and 16 AI and at 16 I got the same problems as I had originally so it seems on the Xbox at least that is the break point and the game goes to pot in terms of the car handling and the wheel input once you go to that number of AI.

I am happy enough that I can at least get some good racing in now but I was under the impression that they had made some improvements to the game optimization for the original XBO but that does not seem to be the case.

They really need to sort the FFB out though, although improved with less AI it is still far removed from what we have in Assetto for instance and the lack of surface detail and kerb effects needs improving.

If there's any TX owners that would like to share their wheel settings for me to try I would be very appreciative. I am not sure the new less complicated way they implement the FFB in pCars 2 has had the desired results as it seems there is a very fine line between getting the desired effects and losing them almost entirely.

Last edited:
Right, original xb1 players should only use up to 13 AI.

Beyond that, the player physics starts to degrade in various ways (ffb, tire heating and wear...)

Can you or someone please explain what the amount of AI has to do with my personal physics? That just sounds so beyond :censored:ed up. And how am I supposed to know what feels "right" if it's different from one group to another?

I always use full grids on PS4 Slim. Am I not getting a proper representation of the game?

My experience is that the game changes dramatically with too many AI. For me as noted above up to 15 AI were fine and I felt no different with 15 than with 12 but 16 made the game a different kettle of fish entirely. All I can say is try a smaller grid and see how it performs and then add AI 2 at a time and see if things start to degrade. It was very noticeable for me straight away.

The confusing thing for me is that when I last tried the game before patch 4 I was able to race with 30 AI around Silverstone and it seemed to me to be fine then but it was my early days with the game so maybe I was just too unfamiliar with it to notice.

Are you not finding the driving difficult with a full grid? I've no idea about the power of the PS4 slim.. is that more powerful than the original Xbox One?

Can you or someone please explain what the amount of AI has to do with my personal physics? That just sounds so beyond :censored:ed up. And how am I supposed to know what feels "right" if it's different from one group to another?

I always use full grids on PS4 Slim. Am I not getting a proper representation of the game?

I think the ps4 is a little more capable than a standard xbox1. I run max grids on standard ps4 all the time, yes the fps suffers and game freezes so bad I nearly crash but I don't think physics suffer too much.

However maybe you should lower the grid and try it for yourself, for your own piece of mind

You're just saying it's different. Can you or someone in your situation please give specific examples at least?

The driving is difficult no matter what so I don't know normal is to compare anything to. One would just be different from the other.

He explains it a little bit here in this Indycar video

Project CARS 2 Videos

Short story: The original XB1 is too weak computationally to handle more than a dozen or so AI. The CPU is totally consumed and the "player physics" calculation start to degrade as the machine is unable to keep up with the computation demands of the player's physics (which runs at a higher detail level than the AI) and the numerous AI calculations. This is not a problem on other systems, only the original XB1.

Back