Project CARS 3 Announced, Arrives This Summer

• Thread starter Toyota GT1
  • 634 comments
That video, shows how the car are so squeezed vertically... Almost flat like a pancake...

The perspective looks wrong and unnatural.

Y'all really blaming Codemasters for a game that was being developed for a good while before they even acquired SMS...

Codemasters must be ridiculously efficient in making drastic changes to pCARS 3 considering they just bought SMS 6 months ago.

The whole SHIFT like theme/style is in line with what Ian Bell mention back in 2018, pretty hard to put the blame on Codemasters on this.

Because we know what SMS is capable of,
And we know what Codemasters are not capable of...

Codemasters owns SMS, Codie can force anything to SMS...

Assuming the worse only.

I'm not going to panic about the video because I was just thinking that perhaps they're adding some kind of training mode or driving School.

I think because the website is still toating the "24-hour day/night cycle", they must still have races long enough to actually make use of that yeah? Surely they must have endurance racing and thus pitstops. They must've been blocked because it's a beta and they still sorting all that out. At the same time though, I don't think I saw a pitlane on the one road track we saw so... fingers crossed they version of Le Mans 24 isn't just the one from the original Grid.

I just saw this. I'm hoping that the finished product is far, far, far different than this.

Look on the right-hand side at the beginning of the video. I know its a beta, but that's a very... odd way to put a crowd into your game. Probably an inside joke.

Because we know what SMS is capable of,
And we know what Codemasters are not capable of...

Codemasters owns SMS, Codie can force anything to SMS...

Assuming the worse only.

I still think it is too short period of time to make such drastic changes to the game that SMS has been working on for years before Codemasters bought them.

Codemasters doesn't appear to be involved in this one. The very beginning of the trailer says Bandai Namco.

Codemasters is just the tiny lettering under SMS logo, it says "A Codemasters Company" at the bottom.

Wow what have they done to this game...
Not hyped at all.

The hud alone tells you everything you need to know about the direction this is going...no tyre wear indicators, no fuel, percentage to completion...super SUPER disappointed.

Will get this on a deep deep sale if at all.

Did anyone really ask for this? We already have Grid...this seems similar.
The trailer could have been a Need for Speed trailer...at some points it looked like a Criterion game.

Pcars1 was such an epic start and I thought this series is going to go a long way...2 games later and it is a dumpster fire.

I'm guessing these are planned E3 demos and they might be 1-2 months old build. I remember that happen for the last 2 games.

I advised on the first pCars back on the ol' WMD forums. I used my background in GT3 to give a lot of insight on how the cars should behave. If you guys would have seen early footage of that game, you'd call it a sim-cade, too.

Now that's not to say it's not going in that direction, but let's give @IanBell and the team time to get something together that better represents the sim aspects of the game. If their goal is to introduce newcomers to the genre, which allows more people to join our hobby who otherwise might have been too intimidated by it, showing off a 'softer' trailer will do their campaign more good in the long run as they can reserve the more 'hardcore' sim stuff for later on.

Time will tell. Have some patience lads

To be honest i think a little change in tone will help Project Cars series. But i hope that hardcore players won't be forgotten :) I don't want another Forza :D

On the other hand. I am really worried about some things...
Pit stops - those blocked pits feels like grid or something. I hope this is still an option. Maybe they will simplify pitstop and that would be good enough
Content - Trailer shows only Road cars and GT's i love both, but i also loved PCars for it's variety. It would be bad if we won't get Group C cars, LMP's or some classic prototypes and GT's with historic tracks. I hope all of this is still there. If not there won't be good option on consoles to recreate LeMans seties for example.

upload_2020-6-4_19-29-29.png

From the PCars 3 website.

I advised on the first pCars back on the ol' WMD forums. I used my background in GT3 to give a lot of insight on how the cars should behave. If you guys would have seen early footage of that game, you'd call it a sim-cade, too.

Now that's not to say it's not going in that direction, but let's give @IanBell and the team time to get something together that better represents the sim aspects of the game. If their goal is to introduce newcomers to the genre, which allows more people to join our hobby who otherwise might have been too intimidated by it, showing off a 'softer' trailer will do their campaign more good in the long run as they can reserve the more 'hardcore' sim stuff for later on.

Time will tell. Have some patience lads
Finally some one using their common sense rather than jumping straight to a "omg it's arcade nfs burnout shift grid clone!!11!!" conclusion.

The developers have already stated that it's still a sim, only with much more accessibility options (read: OPTIONS) for newcomers. I'm pretty sure the game will be fully customizable, just like PC2, in the sense that you can change the HUD to your liking and maybe select a more "arcade" option for playing.

As TheCrazySwede said, wait and see.

.View attachment 927176

From the PCars 3 website.
This sounds good, but if one thinks counting GT tracks is hard, counting PCARS tracks is a nightmare. A quick read of the PC2 track list also gives approximately 140ish at 50-60 locations, there's tonnes of variations and historic courses. It's definitely a solid foundation to build from, I loved stuff like the Monza combined circuit, interested/trepidatious to see what's new/gone.
Edit: it being such a similar number makes me feel it's probably at least 80% the same as PC2, and they haven't done a "burn it to the ground" (yes I'm still mourning at least twelve GT original tracks)

Last edited:
The hud alone tells you everything you need to know about the direction this is going...no tyre wear indicators, no fuel, percentage to completion...super SUPER disappointed.
Reminds me of another game without tire wear indicators, without a fuel gauge, heck -- it doesn't even have a tach. It must not even simulate engines!

It's called Project CARS 2 -- with the HUD cycled away at the press of a button. I mapped that to Triangle, so I can double-check my tire compound on the telemetry HUD before switching back to a simpler one.

If you look at the Motec screens you'll see them indicating the same details as in PCARS2. 👍

Pit stops - those blocked pits feels like grid or something. I hope this is still an option. Maybe they will simplify pitstop and that would be good enough
Considering we're looking at two-lap sprint races, I reckon the most likely explanation is that the pits may be blocked off when they're unwanted or irrelevant, to prevent accidental pitlane entry. To pit on a two-lap race is to lose, after all...and protecting the player from accidentally pitting when there's absolutely no reason to pit is novice-friendly.

Last edited:
Considering we're looking at two-lap sprint races, I reckon the most likely explanation is that the pits may be blocked off when they're unwanted or irrelevant, to prevent accidental pitlane entry. To pit on a two-lap race is to lose, after all...and protecting the player from accidentally pitting when there's absolutely no reason to pit is novice-friendly.

yeah I also was thinking about that. I hope that is the case :) (but lack of indication of pit entry on HUD MAP is a little bit worrying)

Far to much of this sim vs arcade debate for me, you can have good and bad gameplay in both sub genres. Hopefully this game has good gameplay and as this is completely subjective will need to try before I buy, as a pad user the last outing failed in gameplay terms. I like most driving games I kind of find the whole ego waffle of Im an elite sim racer a bit foolish when we're all just playing video games (toys). Generally games improve over time so fingers crossed this will be an improvement, no point jumping the gun, thankfully not too long to wait to find out either...

I don't mind the look of this so far. Considering Forza Motorsport has lost its way a bit this could take its place in my library.

Not necessarily a bad thing if it was like Shift because that was good fun.

yeah I also was thinking about that. I hope that is the case :) (but lack of indication of pit entry on HUD MAP is a little bit worrying)

Perhaps this is just a different track layout for sprint racing without pits? I guess we'll know when more videos come out etc

Back