Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

I don’t really understand the point of that. They had been unique in the console sim arena because they had a much wider car/track selection than everyone else while also having weather and an ok tire model.

There are tons of driving/racing games to choose from and PCars seems to have thrown away any edge they had in the sim space.

I spend most of my time in iRacing, but I drive on about every sim there is (AC, ACC, RF2, GT Sport, PC2 etc). I buy a lot of games just to support the genre, but I’ll probably skip this one, especially since the developers are always so combative.

The lack of pit stops is not an issue for me I like the emphasis to be on making a pass on track rather than winning it with strategy ( i really dislike it in f1 races when a pass is done because of the undercut ). I doubt this new game will be a whole lot different to the second entry so for those who want strategic races they already well catered for with PC2.

"All the sim you could want"? Hmmm. I want adjustable tyre pressures, I want tyre wear, I don't want fudged tyre temperatures, I want fuel use, I want dynamic weather and the need to change tyres and I want pitstops. Hell I even want to drive out of the garage and down the pitlane in practice and qualifying. Will there even be practice and qualifying?

It's not 3.

It's Revolution.

Doesn't mean I won't buy it though...just means I won't get the collector's edition like I planned, but just the standard or deluxe edition. I might still get it though...

*Psst, Ian, listen, add pit stops and the other things in an update later on, deal?*

"that this is a conscious decision to make PC3 more about actual driving and less about engineering tactics"

Engineering tactics? You mean 'racing'? That's like making a Tour de France game and saying you opted to not include a stamina system because you wanted it to be more about actual bike riding and less about engineering tactics - but pacing yourself and your physical condition is the challenge, not 'can you ride a bike up this hill?'

Well, I mean, I did say that if it is a Shift game with pCars physics I would be happy, but still, I didn’t expect this and I can see why people are disappointed.

"that this is a conscious decision to make PC3 more about actual driving and less about engineering tactics"

Engineering tactics? You mean 'racing'? That's like making a Tour de France game and saying you opted to not include a stamina system because you wanted it to be more about actual bike riding and less about engineering tactics - but pacing yourself and your physical condition is the challenge, not 'can you ride a bike up this hill?'
It's their words, not mine...

That... is an interesting decision.

I'm more arcade guy so I don't care too much one way or the other, but I don't think it's gonna go down well with simulation crowd.

If it have Le Mans track and no pitstop, it isn't logic. Le Mans race are based on pit-stop tactic. (It's not the only one to have this type of race)
I want to see the release of the game and maybe a demo to see if it's just an option to remove fuel and tyre consumption or if it haven't any
The trailer give me hope, the 1st gameplay videos made me sad because it look like a bit acardy (but with a really great feeling of speed and a great IA). The different tweet of the Twitter page regave me hope, and this last news made me again sad. I want to see if it have all of what I want, or not, and I want to have it in my hand to see if it's a good game or a disappointment

You cannot invent a static layer in the tire simulation and claim that physics have been preserved. Wear impacts physics.

What a terrible week for sim racing. Assetto Corsa Competizione runs like crap on consoles and Project CARS 3 is officially pursuing a flawed vision.

Last edited:
As much as I love the option to play with actual strategy, I won't necessarily hate this. As long as they still have classic open-wheelers I still might get this game.

I love, love, love PC2 and I thank Ian Bell for the many hours of phenomenal racing over the past 2+ years.

I'm fairly certain no one cares but I definitely won't be buying this game. I was hoping for better, more detail oriented pit stops. I never thought we would be going in the opposite direction.

It is heartbreaking for me to say this because I vowed to support Ian and buy all project cars games.

I don't like to make definitive statements but I do feel like a Sim racing game absolutely must have pit stops and the complications that surround pit stops, to really be simulation.

Even when I watch F1 or imsa or blancpain, I always love the drama of the pit stops and who's going to have a delay and who's going to get in somebody's way and who's going to come out how many seconds before another driver who's already on track.

I'm gutted.

Back