Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

It is the same situation in GT Sport updates. Yet another pack of obscure road cars, fans of Motorsport are outsiders in a game called Sport.

Project Cars was a sim racing game, and now sim racers outsiders in Project Cars. Motorsport has been died sometime in the process.

Fun now being able to drive, and nothing more. Deal with it and buy the best game out of those - Need For Speed:)

While Forza and GT are both plugging along, Forza has grown stale and GT alienated a lot of players with their online-focus. I don't have PS/GT so I don't know about that community as much, but within the Forza community a lot of people want an alternative. Not even having an option for pit stops pushes the game further towards the arcade end of the racing game spectrum, so it's not surprising that players that were getting excited for a new sim-cade title are worried it may lean too far towards the arcade side.

From the racing games markets standpoint, going SHIFT style may be a good idea. GT Sport stuck on being an online focus game while GT7 is still far away and next gen, Forza is still being Forza and it is going stale like you said (unless they did something drastic for FM8 and it is still coming this year). A SHIFT style game that focus on fun and realistic driving with upgradeable cars and a some what realistic setting is a decent empty spot in the market at the moment. After all, this is the market space that SMS tried chasing after it for the last 2 games as well.

It all comes back to the issue with this whole game now is in its name, calling it pCARS 3 and folks will expect the game to build on things that existed before instead of throwing them out for a vastly different experience and audience.

Everyone has jumped the gun here the game may or may not play well, lets just see first then react. Pitstops and tyre models may be the least of your concerns when the game arrives. Im hopeful, but im not forming opinions until Ive played the game. We should be thankful there is another driving game in the offing, it has potential, but still remains an unknown quantity. Games evolve lets see where it goes for good or bad, If you like the series you already have the games in the bag that you can enjoy. I like the streetfighter series and it peaked at streetfighter 3 third strike 2 games ago i still play it years later whilst the current games are horrible casual gamer rubbish. Be thankful for what you already have, nothing stays static.

They are taking about missing pit stops strategy like Codies were talking about missing cockpit view while ago. They even said that only 5% of drivers are using it. SMS then planted a powerful campaign move with "we are 5%".

Point is, I don't like their new approach.
GRID behind PC name.

Typical simmer drama as always...

Btw: GT3 can drive for over an hour without refuel or tire change... And you can have great races without those features... Most important for me is a great handling and that drift video from Austin O. just looked awesome and so much better then what i experienced in Pcars 2 when drifting. Can´t wait to get my hands on this game.

And tbh i will not miss any of the pit stops, tire type, pressure ect bugs Pcars 2 has :P

#lessfiddlingjustracing
And what if those that want to race for more than an hour, or replicate series that do have mandatory pit stops?

Nit a single person that I have noticed has called for pit stops to be mandatory in every race, quite the opposite, they are calling for the choice. As such the accusations of elitism fall very very short.

Quite frankly you come across as ‘I’ve got what I want so screw everyone else’.

I like to race clean :P
Not always your choice and to be honest it’s a poor argument from the no damage GT days.

This is the bit people aren't looking at before criticising the decision. I said in the other thread that I get why people might be disappointed with the removal of pitstops, but it isn't at the expensive of driving physics simulation.
Yes it is, an entire part of the tyre model is locked and will always be optimised, that is at the expense of the driving physics.

+1

Sim racer racism basically lol

If it fits not in the group of sim elitists then it can not and will not be tolerated and hated...

Unbelievable :D
Utter rubbish, people are calling for the option to have them, not for them to be forced in for everyone. The only people being intolerant here are those insisting that everyone should shut up and accept it and then accusing them of some odd form of racism if they disagree.

Not only is it a disgusting comparison but one that attempts to shut down discussion via comparison to one of the most hateful forms of bigotry.

To be blunt, your Stan is showing more than enough.

Doing the Daily C races and Manufacturer races in GTS really got me into the pit Strategy. It actually got me to watch Motorsport as a whole more, and have a greater appreciation for the sport. I really had no clue how important Pit strategy was in racing. Found out real quick during online racing In GTS.

Some races you only have one compound of a tire during the race. I’m usually pretty clean and can safe my tires during a long race, but what was awesome, was seeing the result of racing a clean line and race because I didn’t have to pit as much as other racers. This would help me jump position, so even if I qualified 10th I would finish 5th or better because of my pit strategy. I remember I took a huge gamble on refueling and it paid off big time because I just put enough fuel in the car to get past the finish line lol. I didn’t even have to switch my fuel map either during the race So I was going full blast and took first. I remember being so happy and feeling so good that my pit strategy paid off. Before GTS I usually just hot lapped cars in GT6 and Forza, Because of GTS online racing, it got me wanting a little more when it came to the actual racing experience.

This is why I got AC PC PC2 and ACC. I was going to get PCars3 but I don’t know about that now. No difference in why I don’t play FM anymore with the lack of tire wear fuel usage flag system no pit animations it doesn’t give me that true track experience.

Last edited:
@Scaff

I have the feeling that It seems very hard to realise for alot people ok this game is not for me so i will just leave it and play some other games that have what i want ?

Not every game need to have all options to please as most players as possible.

In simracing you learn that you can´t have everything you want in 1 game. Thats why i basicly own every sim and big racing game from the last 15 years lol xD

I think everyone that loved the Shift game will love Pcars3 and thats what SMS tries to achive imo.

I thought PC2 was a little more complex than it needed to be. I was hoping they dumped it down a little.

The trailer shows they dumbed it down way too much, and removing pitstops only makes it worse.
c607b06bac1bb8c9fd6f1c87b6491c35.jpg

Last edited:
New twitter post from Nathan Bell:

MqTzAmf.png

Pit stops is removed very early on in development, pitchforks pointing at Codemasters should now be aim back to Slightly Mad Studios.
If this was an early design choice, then I reckon that much of the game was built up around not having pitstops/tire wear and that it would take a good deal of work to re-implement it, even as an option.

@Scaff

I have the feeling that It seems very hard to realise for alot people ok this game is not for me so i will just leave it and play some other games that have what i want ?

In simracing you learn that you can´t have everything you want in 1 game. Thats why i basicly own every sim and big racing game from the last 15 years lol xD

I think everyone that loved the Shift game will love Pcars3 and thats what SMS tries to achive imo.
You’re not the only one to be in that situation, nor does your 15 years impress (I personally can top that by more than a decade).

Not one bit of which excuses you levelling a bizarre claim of racism at people who put forward valid points that you simply disagree with, the only intolerance here is coming from you.

Everyone else is asking for options and choice, you on the other hand are happy to have choice removed, and are quite happy to use ad-hominid attacks to try and stop discussion.

i did not meant to impress but ok.

Yes i´m happy that Pcars 3 is basicly Shift 3 because thats what i want. And i don´t think that SMS will change anything reagardless how many people don´t like to see a "Shift 3" from SMS.

@Scaff

So what you're saying is that people should just suck it up, and accept anything that any game developer offers us?

As i said not every game need to have all options to please as most players as possible. If a game is not for me then i accept that a look for something else. Easy as that.

I don´t play CoD because i don´t like a couple things about it but i never was in a CoD forum and complained about it.

If this was an early design choice, then I reckon that much of the game was built up around not having pitstops/tire wear and that it would take a good deal of work to re-implement it, even as an option.

Bell mention that after they put in more features into it and it worked, I do wonder what "features" could remove pits stops and it still be fine by them.

Sorry DP, it’s been confirmed that these removals are across all modes.

E24F3D2E-62D2-40A1-A45A-9A0620B6452C.png

As i said not every game need to have all options to please as most players as possible. If a game is not for me then i accept that a look for something else. Easy as that.

I don´t play CoD because i don´t like a couple things about it but i never was in a CoD forum and complained about it.
Poor analogy, a better one would be if you had played every title in the series to date and they just revealed key features had been removed for the next title.

You would then be on the forums talking about it, and you know this is the real case as you’re over on the PC forums trying to shut down concerns of people who are existing fans of the series just as you are doing here.

And yet again all you are doing is trying to shut down conversation with poor justification.

Last edited:

I don´t play CoD because i don´t like a couple things but i never was in a CoD forum and complained about it.

Where else do you suggest a console player wanting a racing simulator should look, now that PC3 is basically an arcade racer with better physics? As a PC player, sure, I have a fair few options but on console?

You've got ACC, which is fine if you're happy to race only GT3 and later GT4 cars and can live with the frame rate and graphical compromises . That's pretty much it as far as I'm aware.

Good for you, but why are you trying to stop other people having their say? This is a discussion forum.

Nobody here has signed up purely to discuss PC3 having never played the games before. We've played the first two games in the series, many of us even put our own money in to support those games financially, now we're not happy with the direction of the third game and want to voice our feelings. Will it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not, but if people just sat back and accepted everything they're given this would be a very different world we'd be living in.

If you don't care for seeing those opinions, perhaps a message board isn't the place for you.

I´m also a WMD member and supported the Pcars games with my money. And now theres a bit different Pcars game and not a 3rd one thats basicly the same again as the first 2... No problem for me... Looks like i´m "The One" lol :D

So what you're saying is that people should just suck it up, and accept anything that any game developer offers us?

Of course you a merely a consumer you have the choice of whether to purchase or not dont you? Games are many things to many people perhaps more people overall will enjoy the new game. Games development in a capitalist system cant focus on minority interests or they go out of business, why not lobby the sim crowd to buy a 100 copies of each sim to make them financially viable lol

This is the actual logic of the developers:

SMS: Making the game more appealing to a larger crowd is the object.

Users: Okay, but don't forget to actual PCars players, or ones that like Sim/Simcade games!

SMS: Sure! We are making the game wide, to offer arcade things, sim physics... Just play as you want, PCars philosophy! Choose what you want, aids, weather, cars!!!

Users: No problem, we can play the way we want!

Also SMS: **** players, let's quit Pit-Stops, and add as DLC the Rainbow Road and Spaceships, We're 100% players would like it.

Another interesting fact: Develop a futuristic tyre model (and complex) that automatically changes the behaviour of the tyres with a huge development and... Just for offer it to casual players that don't worry about that! Players that do not care about pitting honestly, do not mind about the complex system to avoid pitting. Actually, without developing such a thing devs, here is a hint. If you disable tyre, fuel and damage, would be enough for the players that do not want to pit... It would be enough!

I am between crying and laughing about the pit-stopgate. Project Cars was the perfect simcade equilibrium, the most open racing game at the moment. What you're doing with the franchise is horrible, just allow liberty, and we decide what we want. I am not interested on PCars 3 anymore until everything is fixed.

PROJECT CARS FRANCHISE (2015-2020): "At the beginning for the players, at the end without the players"

I thought PC2 was a little more complex than it needed to be. I was hoping they dumped it down a little.

The trailer shows they dumbed it down way too much, and removing pitstops only makes it worse.
View attachment 935456

I would say in know way did PC2 need dumbed down. What it really could of used was a lot better instructions on how to use all the things that you can adjust. Several things could of been better - like maybe an auto FOV adjustment based on your TV size and distance as a base line. Some preselected preferences for controller users. Essentially just many things to help better utilize and understand what is already there. Maybe an entire section on learning tracks and basic racing technique somewhat similar to GTS but more indepth.

How can Pitstops be history when there is still weather change possible? How do i put my rain tires on the car during the race?

Where else do you suggest a console player wanting a racing simulator should look, now that PC3 is basically an arcade racer with better physics? As a PC player, sure, I have a fair few options but on console?

You've got ACC, which is fine if you're happy to race only GT3 and later GT4 cars and can live with the frame rate and graphical compromises . That's pretty much it as far as I'm aware.

Console side has to wait for a miracle to happen at this point, with ACC performance issue, pCARS 3 being this and no other sim racing games coming. Maybe the backlash now will set things right for the next one, much like what happen to Grid 2 and Dirt 4.

How can Pitstops be history when there is still weather change possible? How do i put my rain tires on the car during the race?

Futuristic dynamic tyres that will automatically adapt itself to be a rain tyre when it rains and back to slicks if the track dries up.

Of course you a merely a consumer you have the choice of whether to purchase or not dont you? Games are many things to many people perhaps more people overall will enjoy the new game. Games development in a capitalist system cant focus on minority interests or they go out of business, why not lobby the sim crowd to buy a 100 copies of each sim to make them financially viable lol

I don't know where this "only hardcore sim racers want pits/tyre wear/fuel wear" notion comes from.

The F1 games feature these things, they are absolutely not sim games or aimed at sim racers. Codemasters games of old used to feature them, they were never sims. Forza and Gran Turismo has featured these things to varying degrees of realism, they're not sims. The list could go on.

Games can cater to everyone whilst still including these pretty basic features. Again, it's not like we're asking or expecting every single race to feature pit stops and nor is anyone expecting it to be forced on people.

You've also not explained why it couldn't be an option. It's not like we're talking about a new feature we want them develop, it's a feature already present in the previous games. If people enjoy races without these things great, they can race without them.

Back