Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
I'm 'only' on 375 hours according to Steam. It would be a lot more if I hadn't signed up for WMD for the sequel.

Well over the last year i've lost game saves and started again numerous times so lost count, untill i realised xbox one tracks your game time, its fun looking at my stats.

Having been through the entire WMD process, seen the two launch delays, watched the game come together and the last-minute hard work to get it ready, seen the pain of insufficient console testing and the bugs which hurt, and then the resulting 10+ patches... I am glad they hit this milestone.

pCARS today is a vastly better product than it was at launch. The full set of DLC, the fixes and tweaks, the revised tyre models (especially road cars) and FFB, all work together to give us a game which has many good points. No, it's certainly not perfect and in some areas it loses out to other sims, but as a whole it's a very worthy game and still gets quite a lot of my simracing time, even against AC, R3E, AMS, rF2.

I'm looking forward to getting my own copy of the GOTY edition, in about a month if things go according to plan. :) It's been five years since I've had a new sim to play.

It still gets almost 100% of my racing time.
IMO, PCARS is the best racing game ever made.

Apparently you haven't played many racing games then, unless this is sarcasm. I will 100% agree PCARS had the possibility of being the greatest. Graphically spectacular. Physics quite promising... but the list of quite frankly, inexcusable issues far outweighs the benefits.

~Tyre model.
Tyre model issues throughout the game's supported lifetime. Extreme overheating tyres, cooling issues, altered patch to patch and never properly fixed.

~Track glitches.
Landmines. Why? Silverstone with pit issues on classic layout as well.

~Collision physics.
Drive into another car, and end up being magnetically sucked off the road? In what way is this realistic?

~Network framework
Quite simply woeful infrastructure and set-up. Networks with zero dedicated servers (on console) that also are very unreliable.

~UI Design.
Incredibly bad design. Menu settings that don't matter and don't change. Select a car from garage and half the time you won't get the same car. Online, setting up a multiclass event is hell due to the amount changes that happen with each lobby setting.

~Pit menu's.
Almost impossible to switch strategies on the fly.

~Support
Put aside the updates. Patches haven't fixed many issues. Some issues never even acknowledged by SMS. The decision to not bother with content that was promised (Indycar anyone?) and just say "ah we just put it in PCARS2". Same can also be said with several cars as well. And finally the terrible attitude of Ian Bell and SMS staff who believe any criticism is worthy of being banned from SMS forums.

I looked forward to this game so much and really though it could be the new console gen's Gran Turismo. Now I see how much of a poor 🤬 show it really was and the one positive is I suppose that people like @haitch40 who invested in it have some financial return.

If you seriously think "the greatest racing game ever made" is fine to include all of these above issues, I strongly recommend to expand your horizons a bit.

Firstly it's my opinion.
Secondly, I'm on PC and it seems you're on PS4.
Thirdly, I've been playing racing games since Pole Position on the ZX Spectrum, so I doubt I have to expand my horizons.
Lastly, when I say it is the best racing game ever made, in my opinion, I'm referring to the immersion when I play PCARS. No other racing game I have ever played makes me feel that I am in a car in a race, having to adapt to changing conditions, like PCARS does.

So please take your condescending attitude elsewhere.

Apparently you haven't played many racing games then, unless this is sarcasm. I will 100% agree PCARS had the possibility of being the greatest. Graphically spectacular. Physics quite promising... but the list of quite frankly, inexcusable issues far outweighs the benefits.
What part of 'IMO' did you not understand? Just like his opinion is his, you're quite free to hate this game if it doesn't do for you wanted to get out of it or if it was a bugfest for you (it wasn't for me). *shrugs*

And if you expected this game to be the next GT, you got in with the wrong expectations, it was never meant to be that. There are better alternatives if you want a GT-like game (e.g. FM).

I just won my first race in PCARS Pagani Edition, one on one against an AI set to 100, all assists off except ABS. I haven't even gotten that comfortable with the physics yet (Steam says I've logged 4 hours now), and these 700hp MR cars are a bit of a trial by fire in that respect.

I think that bodes very well for how I'll get along with the full game. :)

Firstly it's my opinion.
Thirdly, I've been playing racing games since Pole Position on the ZX Spectrum, so I doubt I have to expand my horizons.
Lastly, when I say it is the best racing game ever made, in my opinion, I'm referring to the immersion when I play PCARS. No other racing game I have ever played makes me feel that I am in a car in a race, having to adapt to changing conditions, like PCARS does.

I second your opinion. It's the greatest race game I've played. Of course, I want more added in PC2, but no one's perfect.

I second your opinion. It's the greatest race game I've played. Of course, I want more added in PC2, but no one's perfect.
Firstly it's my opinion.

Third this opinion. PCars isn't the best game overall, but for me it's my favorite. Even with the issues, mostly just enjoy the game with what it does offer - not what it doesn't get "right". I really dig just doing laps and trying to best my PB lap times. It's fun for me, and maybe I'm alone in this but whatever.

I'm an old guy now and have been a member on GTPlanet for a long time now - was away for quite awhile (on my second username) but been a member for about 15 years now (I think anyway). I too have played racing games since Pole Position, first in the Arcade, then at home on the Atari - have yet to find a perfect race game. I can usually find things I like about almost any (racing) game. Can't imagine how much of my life I wasted on Sega Rally Championship on the Saturn, and Test Drive LeMans on the Dreamcast! :)

Have PCars on both the PS4 and XBone, and generally buy racing games for both console (DiRT Rally, F1 series, PCars) and then will get the exclusive for each console, Forza & GT, etc. I just love playing racing games. I even thoroughly enjoy game versions of racing I don't follow in real life, ie., Nascar.

I don't get how people can be so publicly negative about something they don't like - just don't play it. Trade it in, sell it on flea-bay, whatever. I wonder how many of these "negative Nancy's" will watch a TV show that they don't like. If I don't like something, I'm done with it. Certainly don't waste anymore of my time voicing an opinion of disdain to people who do like (fill in the blank).

I don't get how people can be so publicly negative about something they don't like - just don't play it. Trade it in, sell it on flea-bay, whatever. I wonder how many of these "negative Nancy's" will watch a TV show that they don't like. If I don't like something, I'm done with it. Certainly don't waste anymore of my time voicing an opinion of disdain to people who do like (fill in the blank).
PCars isnt exactly the biggest offender if you know what I'm talking about.

On paper, PCARS always seemed to me like it had the most potential of anything around today. Based on my experience with the Pagani Edition, I'm as excited for the game as I was a year and a half ago, even though I'm aware of and expecting game-breaking issues.

I agree with ARACEFAN.

I hate to say it because I am a big Gran Turismo nut, but Project Cars on PS4 is just incredible. The feel you get from that game is better than any other race sim out there.

My impression of the game so far, in three words: I'm a believer! :D

I have barely found anything to be unhappy about with the physics, which is a pleasant surprise. They don't seem quite as intuitively convincing as Live for Speed or Enthusia, but oversteer and understeer occur pretty much as expected and I have not yet noticed any intrusive quirks. The audio-visual cues are communicative enough, but I would like more lateral g-movement in the cockpit view; I have the g-forces option set to 70, but almost all of it is longitudinal.

Some cars are more drift-able than others, but from what I've sampled so far, at least the Toyobaru is a piece of cake! I was under the impression that drifting would be much more difficult with a controller, or that the drifting physics would not be as accurate as they are. It's close enough to reality to be enjoyable and mostly natural, and it's great to be able to steer with the throttle in a car like the Caterham Classic.

The support for analog-stick steering is definitely crude, but my settings are pretty much nailed down and I have found success using the steering ratio to tweak individual vehicles. Even heavy dampening is too quick and "direct" overall while being too unresponsive in some situations, so I have been forced to adapt to a more precise style of play. Thankfully, the DS4's analog stick is up to the task.

The bottom line is that it plays well for me, which seals my enjoyment of all the previously known qualities: this track list, car list, weather and 24h cycle, etc... :)

Hope they take it easier on the rain in next installment in the career mode.
- Does not need to rain in 50% or more of the events when doing a series.
- Sure it is nice, but not necessarily the most enjoyment.

It is rewarding, frustrating and challenging at the same time (kind of real world like) to maintain your lap times and try and keep the wheels on the payment and find the correct lines through the turns. At the same time trying to put some pressure on the car in front of you. All of this knowing that dropping a tire or rear ending the car in front of you could more or less end any chance of getting in the top 10 spots. Getting a decent qualifying position and a good run when the lights turn green equally important to getting in that top 10. A lot different than GT series as A.I. has never been close to competitive and to easy to slam your way to the front or just run a must faster or better ride.

***Off to SPA for race 4 of my current LMP2 series, better run a few practice laps before going for a qualifying run. SPA is certainly not one of my favorite tracks.*** You can almost guarantee there will be some rain. I do like the open cockpit cars the best as viability is great for reading the track and the cars around you.

Oh by the way all the courses - does any current game have more - to me that is a big advantage for Project Cars.

Last edited:
Most of my career races so far have been on UK tracks, so I had figured all the rainy weather was a British sense of humor thing.

I'm working on the "Zero to Hero" goal, so right now I'm making a beeline for LMP1 instead of taking my time sampling categories or challenging myself; I got a contract offer for LMP3 after the SuperKart championship, so I'm already up to Tier 3. For now I've left the AI at the default of 80, which varies from lapping the entire grid (Karts) to struggling at the ragged edge of control just to stay ahead. I'm not always sure what to expect. I seem to have mistakenly chosen uncompetitive cars in a couple Invitationals, but it made for worthwhile learning experiences in the end.

Oh by the way all the courses - does any current game have more - to me that is a big advantage for Project Cars.
It's not only the quantity to me, but many of the selections SMS made. Narrow, short, old, with elevation changes and flowing corners...not just wide open and sanitized-for-safety modern circuits.

I was also pleased to discover that SMS never disabled the trick of taking a car onto a kart track, only locking it out if you try to add AI. They double as little drifting circuits. :)

Hi Guys,

I just bought PCARS AND ASSETTO CORSA. I have NOT purchased a PS4 yet or a PS4 Pro. I do Have a G29 that is still in the box.

So my question is this: What is the recommendation for playing those two sims, Pcars and A/C, The straight PS4 or the Pro? Which would be the best purchase?

Thanks for any replies,
Pete

The support for analog-stick steering is definitely crude, but my settings are pretty much nailed down and I have found success using the steering ratio to tweak individual vehicles. Even heavy dampening is too quick and "direct" overall while being too unresponsive in some situations, so I have been forced to adapt to a more precise style of play. Thankfully, the DS4's analog stick is up to the task.

If you can afford one, I would highly recommend buying a wheel. The game really comes alive with a wheel. The controller setup is crap, always forcing you to compromise. Once you play it with a wheel (after taking the time to set up the eleventy bajillion FFB options), you'll be pleasantly surprised how much better it feels.

I'd also recommend Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo, and F1 2016. All epic racing games in their own ways. Also, The Crew is a very cool arcade racer, and Driveclub is possibly the best arcade racer I've ever played, if you're into the less serious racing games.

If you can afford one, I would highly recommend buying a wheel. The game really comes alive with a wheel. The controller setup is crap, always forcing you to compromise. Once you play it with a wheel (after taking the time to set up the eleventy bajillion FFB options), you'll be pleasantly surprised how much better it feels.

I agree with this - I've only played the game a small amount - it and a PS4 Pro are my christmas presents this year, but obviously I had to set it up, do the updates, test it to make sure it's all working before wrapping them back up. First impressions are very positive - good sounds, a nice range of viewing positions. During testing a GT Planet friend popped round - he had Project Cars for XBone, but gave up on the game because he found it too difficult to play with a hand controller. We tried a few car and track combinations and we were both blown away by the feel of the Ford Cosworth Sierra RS at the Bannochbrae track. It was probably the most immersive offline racing experience that I have ever had - the heart was pounding, the breathing was ragged and I was flinching as we went past houses and between stone walls. When my friend took the controls I felt like I was a passenger next to the great Mr Kelly (Irish Rally Champ).

The only negative observation I have at this stage is that the Historic / Classic cars are not matched with period correct competitors e.g. you get a Lotus 40 Can Am car, but no competitor from McLaren or Lola. This means that Hosts will be limited to putting on single make races - For me as a Host of classic championship racing this is a big downer - but hopefully cars can be added in Project Cars 2 which overcome this downside.

@Wolfe If you love racing games, you absolutely owe it to yourself to try a game as good as this with a wheel. In the UK you can get a Thrustmaster T150 for about £90 at the moment and I believe the USA is normally cheaper. Space isn't an issue if you get a good folding stand like a Wheelstand Pro. You are obviously a very good player and I am sure you could enjoy your games even more!

Hi Guys,

I just bought PCARS AND ASSETTO CORSA. I have NOT purchased a PS4 yet or a PS4 Pro. I do Have a G29 that is still in the box.

So my question is this: What is the recommendation for playing those two sims, Pcars and A/C, The straight PS4 or the Pro? Which would be the best purchase?

Thanks for any replies,
Pete

Hi Pete - I don't think it will make any difference for the games you mentioned. I have just bought a PS4 Pro and Project Cars - I went for the Pro because I plan on using it for a long time and expect the next round of games to be optimized for the Pro e.g. GTS, Project Cars 2 etc. PS don't forget a good stand for your wheel - being able to get your wheel in the perfect position for comfort during a long gaming session is one of the most important things!

Below: fellow GT Planet member Mook gets some seat time with my new game!

slide 1 pcars.jpg

I agree with this - I've only played the game a small amount - it and a PS4 Pro are my christmas presents this year, but obviously I had to set it up, do the updates, test it to make sure it's all working before wrapping them back up. First impressions are very positive - good sounds, a nice range of viewing positions. During testing a GT Planet friend popped round - he had Project Cars for XBone, but gave up on the game because he found it too difficult to play with a hand controller. We tried a few car and track combinations and we were both blown away by the feel of the Ford Cosworth Sierra RS at the Bannochbrae track. It was probably the most immersive offline racing experience that I have ever had - the heart was pounding, the breathing was ragged and I was flinching as we went past houses and between stone walls. When my friend took the controls I felt like I was a passenger next to the great Mr Kelly (Irish Rally Champ).

The only negative observation I have at this stage is that the Historic / Classic cars are not matched with period correct competitors e.g. you get a Lotus 40 Can Am car, but no competitor from McLaren or Lola. This means that Hosts will be limited to putting on single make races - For me as a Host of classic championship racing this is a big downer - but hopefully cars can be added in Project Cars 2 which overcome this downside.

Yeah the race cars are brilliant in Pcars. I love all the old race cars, but I agree it's a bummer that most of them don't have any competition. I'll also add that a keyboard and tablet add a great deal to the Pcars experience too. If you have an old tablet lying around, there are a few brilliant UDP companion apps that work brilliantly. It's great having your full HUD and telemetry on the tablet, mounted alongside your wheel, so that you can turn the on screen HUD off. Having the keyboard means you can map the many buttons that won't all fit on a controller or wheel. Helps for things like on the fly brake bias and anti-roll bar adjustments. I even wired up a plug on the space bar of my keyboard (it's only a cheapie I bought specifically for the PS4), which I plug into my home made handbrake that I made out of a DFGT shifter lol.

Back