Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
Welp, I picked the game up for a steal, with the full understanding that the game can be obnoxious to play on a Ds4, but since it was so cheap I saw no reason not too. It turns out its not as hard to control as I thought it would be, once i had fiddled with the steering settings. I was playing with no assists on for a while, and I was doing okay, but it got to the stage at which I just kept spinning for seemingly unpreventable reasons (or, to be exact, turning my wheel 0.1 degree too far on the 1 degree of wheel rotation that a Ds4 has available) so I gave up and enables ABS and TCS. Not going to lie, the game became significantly more fun with those options on :lol:.

Welp, I picked the game up for a steal, with the full understanding that the game can be obnoxious to play on a Ds4, but since it was so cheap I saw no reason not too. It turns out its not as hard to control as I thought it would be, once i had fiddled with the steering settings. I was playing with no assists on for a while, and I was doing okay, but it got to the stage at which I just kept spinning for seemingly unpreventable reasons (or, to be exact, turning my wheel 0.1 degree too far on the 1 degree of wheel rotation that a Ds4 has available) so I gave up and enables ABS and TCS. Not going to lie, the game became significantly more fun with those options on :lol:.
It's a lot easier to play this game with a DS4 than AC.

A lot of things are so different, it takes some serious muscle memory recalibration to play after years of GT6.

The cars dont have as much steering or traction the first lap, or 2/3 lap.

The braking indicator(I know, but I dont know the tracks well yet) shows a braking zone twice the correct distance when you get to the faster cars.

The car can suddenly, seemingly without reason, snap loose, resulting in a spin that can rarely be saved.

But its fun once adjusting for the differences. I did my first time trial last night and ended up at 117 place after 4 laps.

A lot of things are so different, it takes some serious muscle memory recalibration to play after years of GT6.

The cars dont have as much steering or traction the first lap, or 2/3 lap.

The braking indicator(I know, but I dont know the tracks well yet) shows a braking zone twice the correct distance when you get to the faster cars.

The car can suddenly, seemingly without reason, snap loose, resulting in a spin that can rarely be saved.

But its fun once adjusting for the differences. I did my first time trial last night and ended up at 117 place after 4 laps.
I'll agree with most that. I went from a DFGT and GT6 straight to a T300 and Project Cars, so I had a double whammy of recalibration.

I've only had a few hours of the game, but now I only use the track guides on circuits I don't know. The more I've played, the more I agree that the red brake zones are far too long. I use them more to teach me when the turns are coming up - I did the same with GT5 and GT6 at the beginning. I never have it on for tracks like Brands Hatch, Laguna Seca, Nürb, etc. purely because I already know them in my sleep.

I actually find I can catch the cars better now than in GT6. It could be the new wheel or how the cars are set up in PC, but I definitely feel more in control than before. I've found that I can train myself better to tame some of the more unruly cars in PC where I would have had to tune them to death in GT6. The default settings of the cars are without doubt better than GT6. I find I'm only making minimal changes to suit how I want them to drive. In fact I started out tuning the Huarya BC for Monza and couldn't get it to drive better than the default set up, so just reset it all.

Karts are actually fun in PC compared to the hell-on-earth they were in the GT series - IMHO.

I can abandon the season once I win the cup\trophy event's right?I won majority of the championships. Just need to get done with the cups and that's it.

I did notice that in PC it sure rains a lot....I mean, A LOT!

As far as overall control, I agree, after some retraining, it is easier to control the unruly cars.

I hate the Classic GT2 Ford Fiesta (?) btw...its the only car I can NOT crush the simulated cars with. haha

I did some of the Forumla B laps at Sonoma online, man that one is hard. My best lap was a 1.26, about 400th? Track is completely different, so it needs more practice, but said it ends in an hour.....an hor ago.

Picked up the GOTY edition last night for €15.99, as I didn't have any DLC for Project Cars. Also, since I have a more complete driving setup now, I thought a fresh start would be a good idea anyway.

The thing is, after entering the FFB settings for the wheel and for a couple of cars, I found the wheel ridiculously heavy and constantly buzzing (clipping). It was an awful experience.

The main settings I entered (and which I remember using before) were:

FFB=75;
Tyre Force=75;
Steering Gain=1.0;
The values for the cars were the the usual from Oscar Olim (66% configuration).

I'm not sure if I'm just spoiled by Assetto Corsa or if I'm doing something wrong, but I ended up setting FFB to around 40 (which is very low compared to what everyone else uses) and I'm still not convinced...

I wonder if anyone using a T300 and the PS4 has some further tips to share.

[EDIT]

Update in the following post.

Last edited:
Picked up the GOTY edition last night for €15.99, as I didn't have any DLC for Project Cars. Also, since I have a more complete driving setup now, I thought a fresh start would be a good idea anyway.

The thing is, after entering the FFB settings for the wheel and for a couple of cars, I found the wheel ridiculously heavy and constantly buzzing (clipping). It was an awful experience.

FFB=75;
Tyre Force=75;
Steering Gain=1.0;

I'm not sure if I'm just spoiled by Assetto Corsa or if I'm doing something wrong, but I ended up setting FFB to around 40 (which is very low compared to what everyone else uses) and I'm still not convinced...

I have FFB and Tire Force at 100, but turned down Fy in the individual car settings to somewhere between 50 and 60 for every car.

FFB=75;
Tyre Force=75;
Steering Gain=1.0;

There's a thread here which may help you.

Personally speaking I have the FFB set to 67 and everything else at the default settings as I've not found it necessary to adjust it. In fact I quite like having to fight the car and grip as it makes it more involving and realistic plus it gives me all the feel I need.

I have FFB and Tire Force at 100, but turned down Fy in the individual car settings to somewhere between 50 and 60 for every car.
It makes sense what you're saying (lowering the Fy), but the settings I use for each car usually already have a low Fy.

As an example, the first car I tried - due to having used it recently in AC - was the Audi A1 S1. The Fy for this car is 30, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

There's a thread here which may help you.

Personally speaking I have the FFB set to 67 and everything else at the default settings as I've not found it necessary to adjust it. In fact I quite like having to fight the car and grip as it makes it more involving and realistic plus it gives me all the feel I need.
Thanks for that, but I know all those threads. I've been through all those when I first started playing the game - roughly an year ago.

I'll add that you should go ahead and try to change the settings for each car. It makes all the difference sometimes, as well as helps them feel that bit different from each other. 👍

[EDIT]

An update on this: last night I decided to reset everything and try again from scratch. Now things look fine and it's back to what I remembered. Probably messed up some values by mistake.

Still, I ended up with FFB at 50 - more than that and it will be too heavy for me, with lots of buzzing (clipping).

Last edited:
I haven't played "Project CARS," but I have been seeing streams on Twitch of PCARS. One race I saw was on the PlayStation 4 version of the game. A number of glitches have derailed a number of cars in the race I saw. PlayStation Network was probably down a lot from that deal. It was still a pretty good race. I thought it looked great on the PC, but the PS4 version looks just as great (at least from what I've seen). I'd fear playing a glitched or glitch-happy game if I were to try my luck at Project CARS...

I haven't played "Project CARS," but I have been seeing streams on Twitch of PCARS. One race I saw was on the PlayStation 4 version of the game. A number of glitches have derailed a number of cars in the race I saw. PlayStation Network was probably down a lot from that deal. It was still a pretty good race. I thought it looked great on the PC, but the PS4 version looks just as great (at least from what I've seen). I'd fear playing a glitched or glitch-happy game if I were to try my luck at Project CARS...
I've got an XBONE again and PCars. I haven't downloaded any content or patches(for example, Ican't change number of laps to race time).

The game feels fine as is. The replays show the cars skipping a bit and the AI are smashing me up(set to100) at times. The game is still amazing. Even without all the DLC cars I had previously.

I'm doing GT3, GT4 & some Multi-class GT racing at Bathurst, to tied me over til the Bathurst 12H. Being able to simulate the complete race weekend is awesome.

Those of you who haven't joined on board will be delighted to know that the game will be part of the February Games with Gold.

FFB=75;
Tyre Force=75;
Steering Gain=1.0;

[EDIT]

Update in the following post.
I decided to play the game again after only playing AC since August and it felt so different than before. AC has spoilt it somewhat. I remember before I found the FFB too heavy in pCARS so lowered a lot of sliders, main FFB to 75, but today, even with default settings the car felt very light through the corners (wheel a bit stiff on default though). Adjusted it a bit but I think generally I don't get the same feeling of weight from the cars as I now do in AC, it's more floaty in pCARS. Really very different feeling between the 2 games.

Still enjoyed racing the AI though, some good pack racing in pCARS for sure, it just felt a bit off to me. Looking forward to seeing/feeling what the sequel is like nonetheless.

I find it best to leave the game's FFB settings on 'classic', and then reduce the car FFB 'Master Spindle' to around 16.
The default of 26 is way too high and causes clipping in most cars.

I saw a Project CARS Twitch stream with Nürburgring GP in the rain. My goodness... Project CARS is a gorgeous-looking game. The rain effects and everything is just great to look at. Fortunately, I kind of arrived to the stream at a good point of the race with the closing laps of the race (and an exciting finish!). I have been seeing the PlayStation 4 version of Project CARS in these streams. This is surely a game I want to try if I were able to go play it, criticisms notwithstanding.

Went back to this game after getting AC in December and I gotta say I love the feeling of being fast in this game. Playing with helmet cam on a game pad and finally switching to manual transmission (learned it's just faster) was so fun. The Aston GTE once felt so slow for me but it finally felt right. The main thing playing AC helped with was driving technique. I'm 8 tenths quicker than I was before. I hope that overall pace and sense of speed doesn't get fudged with too bad in the next game.

I've got an XBONE again and PCars. I haven't downloaded any content or patches(for example, Ican't change number of laps to race time).

The game feels fine as is. The replays show the cars skipping a bit and the AI are smashing me up(set to100) at times. The game is still amazing. Even without all the DLC cars I had previously.

I'm doing GT3, GT4 & some Multi-class GT racing at Bathurst, to tied me over til the Bathurst 12H. Being able to simulate the complete race weekend is awesome.

You must get the updates. They make a massive improvement to how the game feels on a pad. Plus, it runs smoother with practically little to no tearing at all.

I've now completed all three Historic Goals in my career. :)

Defending Champ was much more tedious than I had expected. I hadn't realized only the top two tiers were eligible; I was hoping to settle into something more fun to drive after rocketing to LMP1 for Zero to Hero. With nothing but prototypes or consecutive seasons of endurance racing to choose from (I have no contract offers for Formula A yet), I just stuck with my painfully dull but easy-to-manage R18 e-tron. For a game that prides itself on giving you freedom in your career, I had originally envisioned completing this goal in Group A touring cars...

After four seasons in the overabundantly grippy and curb-averse R18, it will be really nice to move on to something else!

Last night, I saw a Twitch stream of the Suzuka Circuit (or what is supposed to be the Suzuka Circuit). Funny enough, this Suzuka was a lot different from the one we all are used to. I noted two differences. On the right side going down the front stretch, there's this hill with some tall trees. I don't remember that. Biggest difference- the Casio Triangle isn't there. Probably good for me because I'm so crap in that section. I think I heard in the stream that the pCARS team didn't have the licensing rights or something to make a purely accurate Suzuka for their game. It was just an interesting observation. I don't know as much as Project CARS as I would like to, except the fact it's perhaps the most gorgeous racing game of all time.

Last night, I saw a Twitch stream of the Suzuka Circuit (or what is supposed to be the Suzuka Circuit). Funny enough, this Suzuka was a lot different from the one we all are used to. I noted two differences. On the right side going down the front stretch, there's this hill with some tall trees. I don't remember that. Biggest difference- the Casio Triangle isn't there. Probably good for me because I'm so crap in that section. I think I heard in the stream that the pCARS team didn't have the licensing rights or something to make a purely accurate Suzuka for their game. It was just an interesting observation. I don't know as much as Project CARS as I would like to, except the fact it's perhaps the most gorgeous racing game of all time.

I think the Suzuka we see in the final game now is the same one when the game was still being crowdfunded. Don't quote me though.

And it indeed is a gorgeous racing game. No other racing game actually immerses me graphics-wise like PCARS.

I think the Suzuka we see in the final game now is the same one when the game was still being crowdfunded. Don't quote me though.
It's the exact opposite. During the initial development of the game, the version of the track was Suzuka (not licensed). When they knew that they wouldn't be able to license it for the game launch, they made their own version but true to what would be a japanese track, in their own ways.

Speaking of tracks, I was looking around for GP Legends videos when in the recommended I spotted a Spa Historic PCARS video.

Wonder what happened to it

I absolutely love the physics in this game. Visually, it has its strengths too. Car sound inconsistencies, but i'm willing to cut em' slack.

Now, I need to know why the steering (while using a pad) suddenly feels heavy and somewhat less responsive when you start to countersteer? I'm using @Wolfe's settings which are perfect for smooth AND responsive control. The tires and cockpit wheel feel nice, loose and responsive, but as you lose traction and start to countersteer, if you don't catch it super-early the countersteering isn't as responsive as it is during normal steering.

How do I get around this? Or is this how the countersteering physics are on the pad? In Forza i.e. it's the other way around: steering can feel restricted due to the speed sensitivity assist but suddenly feels loose and gives you full control when you slide and attempt to countersteer (sim steering).

P.S: CARS is very very addictive once you get into it. I've been doing nothing but hot lappin' for the last few days. Will be diving headfirst into career soon. :D

@Speedster911 -- You could try reducing the steering ratio. That will counteract the Speed Sensitivity setting a bit to give you more countersteer when you need it for a specific car, without messing up other cars.

The "dumb" countersteer is the main thing I hope is addressed for PCARS2 with a controller. It should be more sophisticated in how it reacts to your situation, allowing you to catch large slides in a timely manner while not overcorrecting small kicks of the rear end. Some wheel users would cry out, "assists!" but it's equatable to self-aligning torque which guides countersteer with a FFB wheel or in a real car.

Back