Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
Yesterday much joy playing Project Cars. Today, no change to settings, but the wheel doesn't appear to have any force feedback - none at all. I plug it in to the PS3 and try GT6 - wheel working perfectly. Is this one of the famous Project Cars Bugs? If so, I can see how this game could get old quickly!

Yesterday much joy playing Project Cars. Today, no change to settings, but the wheel doesn't appear to have any force feedback - none at all. I plug it in to the PS3 and try GT6 - wheel working perfectly. Is this one of the famous Project Cars Bugs? If so, I can see how this game could get old quickly!

If you start the game up and the FFB is missing, all you need to do is turn your wheel off and then turn it back on, and the FFB should be back to normal. I had this issue sometimes with my wheel. It's irritating that it does that sometimes, but it's a pretty easy fix to just turn the wheel off and on.

Welp, I got around to trying the Lancer Evo VI -- which is a ton of fun, even in its hilariously doughy default tune -- which boldly highlighted the physics engine's weakness with high slip angles. Momentum can just evaporate away and the engine bogs down when it should have power to create wheelspin. I had spun RWD cars to an arresting halt in low-speed drifts already, but it didn't stick out quite so much until I took the Evo to the Mojave skidpad in a pouring rainstorm for some experimental AWD donuts.

I knew SMS had evolved this engine out of ISI code, and I'm still impressed by how well it handles. Interestingly, for AWD drifting, setting the center differential to 100% viscous lock seems to help mitigate the quirk, as if a difference in wheel speed between axles is what bleeds the car's inertia. I'm going to experiment more with that.

@Mike_grpA @Sick Cylinder -- I already have a Logitech G25, and limited interest in fiddling with the GIMX solution, much less eleventy bajillion FFB options. :) By now I'm quite comfortable with the DS4 and confident in my settings. On average from car to car, the game is actually barely as challenging as Enthusia.

PCARS2 may convince me to make more of an effort to try it out with a wheel. The full experience of the proposed touge discipline with a wheel would be hard to ignore.

I'd also recommend Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo, and F1 2016. All epic racing games in their own ways. Also, The Crew is a very cool arcade racer, and Driveclub is possibly the best arcade racer I've ever played, if you're into the less serious racing games.
I did buy The Crew upon your previous recommendation. 👍 I got a pretty nice deal on it via the PS Store on Black Friday. Dirt Rally and/or SLRE are also on my list.

Welp, I got around to trying the Lancer Evo VI -- which is a ton of fun, even in its hilariously doughy default tune -- which boldly highlighted the physics engine's weakness with high slip angles. Momentum can just evaporate away and the engine bogs down when it should have power to create wheelspin. I had spun RWD cars to an arresting halt in low-speed drifts already, but it didn't stick out quite so much until I took the Evo to the Mojave skidpad in a pouring rainstorm for some experimental AWD donuts.

I knew SMS had evolved this engine out of ISI code, and I'm still impressed by how well it handles. Interestingly, for AWD drifting, setting the center differential to 100% viscous lock seems to help mitigate the quirk, as if a difference in wheel speed between axles is what bleeds the car's inertia. I'm going to experiment more with that.

@Mike_grpA @Sick Cylinder -- I already have a Logitech G25, and limited interest in fiddling with the GIMX solution, much less eleventy bajillion FFB options. :) By now I'm quite comfortable with the DS4 and confident in my settings. On average from car to car, the game is actually barely as challenging as Enthusia.

PCARS2 may convince me to make more of an effort to try it out with a wheel. The full experience of the proposed touge discipline with a wheel would be hard to ignore.

I did buy The Crew upon your previous recommendation. 👍 I got a pretty nice deal on it via the PS Store on Black Friday. Dirt Rally and/or SLRE are also on my list.

How would you rate it vs Enthusia, physics wise like that Evo VI ? I also played Enthusia a lot back in the day ( still play it from time to time these days, along with F355 Challenge, R:Racing Evo, Battle Gear 3, TXRD2, D1GP etc )

Last edited:
How would you rate it vs Enthusia, physics wise like that Evo VI ? I also played Enthusia a lot back in the day.
Their strengths are almost opposite of each other. Enthusia lacks many details and variables that PCARS simulates, and PCARS has crisp handling with more calculations per second, but EPR's fundamental handling dynamics are closer to spot-on even if they're a little "fuzzy". I think EPR's street tire model is better than PCARS, while PCARS' race tire model is better than EPR. PCARS seems to have superior suspension modelling, but EPR is better at simulating weight distribution. EPR simulates automatic transmissions, but PCARS offers a better clutch simulation and EPR cheats a bit with built-in ABS on all cars of any vintage.

For me, the most pleasant surprise of PCARS was how willing it is to kick out the tail and let you steer with the throttle, much like EPR. It's no The Real Understeer Simulator™, which is excellent for my driving style. EPR is better for drifting and the "car encyclopedia" type of experience (default setups in PCARS are all over the place so you might be on your own to get a facsimile of the real thing, or something even worth driving), but PCARS has been fully enjoyable thus far and is thoroughly modern compared to EPR in terms of its depth and variables. I'm keeping the PS2 hooked up next to the PS4. :)

I'm in the Endurance GT class now in my career, and I won my first endurance race. I never saw much of a point in endurance racing in games with pushover AI or six cars in a grid, static weather and time of day, no pit stops to make, no multi-class racing, etc., so I was pleased to be able to occupy myself watching my tires and fuel, checking the weather forecast, and admiring the sunset on the changing clouds. 👍

I'm in the Endurance GT class now in my career, and I won my first endurance race. I never saw much of a point in endurance racing in games with pushover AI or six cars in a grid, static weather and time of day, no pit stops to make, no multi-class racing, etc., so I was pleased to be able to occupy myself watching my tires and fuel, checking the weather forecast, and admiring the sunset on the changing clouds. 👍

I'm pretty sure Project CARS has the best endurance style racing in any game ever. At least that I know of, although admittedly that's mostly in comparison to Gran Turismo...

I'm pretty sure Project CARS has the best endurance style racing in any game ever. At least that I know of, although admittedly that's mostly in comparison to Gran Turismo...
GT5 had some great single-player endurance racing. Watching the online stuff for GT6 is pretty fun too.

GT5 had some great single-player endurance racing. Watching the online stuff for GT6 is pretty fun too.

I actually just remembered that GT5 and GT6 do have dynamic time and weather, so I suppose that endurance racing in those isn't so bad. I was mostly thinking of the endurance races from earlier GT's which are some of the most boring things ever.

Well the best endurance racing is probably rFactor 2 or iRacing since they both have online racing with driver swaps and spectator mode for teams to coordinate together, along with full day/night cycle etc...

As far as I know iRacing does not have dynamic day / night cycles yet.
It doesn't have rain either.
Ah sorry, I thought it was added in Season 4 2016 with Le Mans 24h, but I appear to be mistaken.

Began my career last night in Formula Rookie. I've had the game for months but just recently picked up a G29 for it

Qualified on pole (AI difficulty 80). Spun on the first lap then fought my way back to 6th. In race 2 at the same track I kept it together for the first 5 laps and built a huge lead. Then going around a corner I cut it a bit too tight and clipped a barrier on the inside with my right front at about 60 mph and tore the right front wheel off.

Race over - and I love it! I had restarts turned off forcing me to accept the consequences. Full 2-300km races in the top openwheel class is going to be great fun

This is the best AI I've ever raced against. They pass you clean and allow you to pass them clean and at times they put up a fight, its great. In time I'll bump up the difficulty once I get a good idea of where my skill is at once I get really use to the game

My only issue with the game is lift off oversteer is really over the top. I've lost count of the amount of times I've spun at all speeds by simply getting off the throttle and turning into a corner. I've had to train myself to continually feed the car throttle throughout a corner which has resulted in far less spins.

I'm impressed by the AI too. I'm around halfway done with Endurance GT in career mode in my Audi R8 GT3, and I've been in the middle of some very clean passes from LMP -> GT3 -> GT4 to GT4 -> GT3 -> LMP. I've never before had such a great experience navigating crowded AI traffic; the first corner of a race and a few specific corners on various tracks can get messy, but otherwise it's fun to be in the center of the action. It's a little too easy to bully them around, but they also tend to commit to their line on tricky corners whether you're in the way or not, so it goes both ways.

My next career race is the 24h of Le Mans (in the WEC, not the invitational), though I think I'll make it the 2.4h of Le Mans. :)

My only issue with the game is lift off oversteer is really over the top. I've lost count of the amount of times I've spun at all speeds by simply getting off the throttle and turning into a corner. I've had to train myself to continually feed the car throttle throughout a corner which has resulted in far less spins.
Try adjusting diff pre-load. I remember watching this video a while back and he brought up something very similar to what you mention. Although I don't have Project Cars, yet, I thought this might help. Cheers.

Try adjusting diff pre-load. I remember watching this video a while back and he brought up something very similar to what you mention. Although I don't have Project Cars, yet, I thought this might help. Cheers.

Thanks, I'll look into this later

Last edited:
I'm starting to play this game a little bit more now. I took a break with it for awhile because it's been other games that been getting my attention. I'm keep hearing thing's about pcars 2 so I'm trying to complete everything before that release's. I'm in LMP2 and and having a blast. I forgot how fun these cars were to drive.

I'm starting to play this game a little bit more now. I took a break with it for awhile because it's been other games that been getting my attention. I'm keep hearing thing's about pcars 2 so I'm trying to complete everything before that release's. I'm in LMP2 and and having a blast. I forgot how fun these cars were to drive.
Same for me! Although the physics are nice, Assetto Corsa lacked the immersion to keep my attention. Glad to be back on track with pCARS!

Since I got a PS4 pro for Christmas, GTS is now delayed until December 31-2017, I got Project Cars to hold me over.

It's awesome! Enjoying it so far, the realism is the best I've experienced! Maybe console and game combine for that, but I'm going thru the go carts and really enjoying it so far after 1 day.

I tried changing the controller to match GT6, but it looks like I'll need to get n engineering degree first? Besides, I'll be using the wheel once I get a feel for PC first.

Since I got a PS4 pro for Christmas, GTS is now delayed until December 31-2017, I got Project Cars to hold me over.

It's awesome! Enjoying it so far, the realism is the best I've experienced! Maybe console and game combine for that, but I'm going thru the go carts and really enjoying it so far after 1 day.

I tried changing the controller to match GT6, but it looks like I'll need to get n engineering degree first? Besides, I'll be using the wheel once I get a feel for PC first.

If you haven't, try the YouTube controller set up videos.

I tried the 98T for the first time... I was kind of cruising for tire heat the first few corners then I tried to goose it in second gear. I actually laughed out loud when that boost kicked in. :lol: You can't safely floor it in that car until 4th gear!

I'm struggling with Project Cars. The handling is very difficult Mandi keep spinning when going into corners. I am used to GT6. Can anyone give me at tips? I am using a G29 wheel

Thank you friends.

I'm struggling with Project Cars. The handling is very difficult Mandi keep spinning when going into corners. I am used to GT6. Can anyone give me at tips? I am using a G29 wheel

Thank you friends.
Sounds to me like you are flooring the brake and/or downshifting way too early. Assuming you have turned off driver aids, the key will be in modulating your inputs: brake pedal generally won't need more than 60% in most cars, and it helps to blip the throttle on downshifts to avoid unbalancing the car. GT6 doesn't need that.

Weird. I tried my G29 and the console wouldn't turn on. So I plugged in the controller, got it running and changed it to the wheel. Still nothing...I did remember to move the switch to PS4 setting.

Probably some good YouTube vids on that as well? haha

I'm impressed by the AI too. I'm around halfway done with Endurance GT in career mode in my Audi R8 GT3, and I've been in the middle of some very clean passes from LMP -> GT3 -> GT4 to GT4 -> GT3 -> LMP. I've never before had such a great experience navigating crowded AI traffic; the first corner of a race and a few specific corners on various tracks can get messy, but otherwise it's fun to be in the center of the action. It's a little too easy to bully them around, but they also tend to commit to their line on tricky corners whether you're in the way or not, so it goes both ways.

My next career race is the 24h of Le Mans (in the WEC, not the invitational), though I think I'll make it the 2.4h of Le Mans. :)

I have had issues recently where my wheel did not get turned on correctly when starting a race. So my car just set there since the gas peddle was not working. Look at the replay, one of the A.I. drivers behind me had to set there for a few seconds also and then finally had to back up to get around my car. I think for the most part as long as the A.I. as few seconds and ability to go around you they will. So I impressed with their avoidance programming. However of course I would always be on board with pushing the limits of A.I. programming especially adding individual characteristics to each A.I. driver. It might be very very difficult to prevent a field of 45 cars or so stacking up in the first corner. Maybe stagger the rows of cars by a few seconds, especially different groups of cars.

What if you have more control over the race team besides just being the driver and could higher your A.I. team mates?

@greenlightning -- It seems like PCARS implements some differing characteristics between drivers, because there's an apparent gradient in skill and confidence between the back markers and podium finishers, and not always just one guy you have to beat for first place.

I would really love it if PCARS2 took inspiration from Grid's career mode, allowing you the option to operate your own team and hire/select teammates, customize a livery (it could be simple pattern/color options), and put sponsorship deals to use by adding their stickers to your car. It would not require an economy like so many WMD members and PCARS fans despise, it could be built upon a system of reputation and invitations like the current career mode.

Back