Project CARS - Hardware recommendation on PC

Will I be able to run ultra/full detail at 1080p over three screens with i7 5820k @ 4.0ghz, 32gb ram (Ddr4 quad channel 2800mhz) and 2x amd r2 290's? I just built the machine and I'm worried as everyone favours nvidia cards :/

At the moment, I'd have to say that the reason why everyone favours the nVidia cards is simply because they work better than the AMD cards. AMD have just released a new version of their driver for Windows 10 (and can be adapted for Windows 8.1), it's it has caused an increase of around 25% in terms of performance on the last two generations of cards (7xxx and r2xx), particularly in SLI implementations. I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be able to achieve Ultra detail with that spec, and in fact I'd say there would be room to spare. You might need to dig around in the command line instructions to fully open the taps, but yes, for sure.

i have last question for everyone:
what sound card to go with and best compatible speakers for a 5.1 system including subwoofer? can you guys recommend 5.1 sound cards compatible with 5.1 speakers and subwoofer? thank you all! just noticed today, that missing that part of my build completely!!!

i have last question for everyone:
what sound card to go with and best compatible speakers for a 5.1 system including subwoofer? can you guys recommend 5.1 sound cards compatible with 5.1 speakers and subwoofer? thank you all! just noticed today, that missing that part of my build completely!!!
I don't remember your specs but your motherboard should be 5.1 or 7.1 capable. Mine is and the sound is excellent.

At the moment, I'd have to say that the reason why everyone favours the nVidia cards is simply because they work better than the AMD cards. AMD have just released a new version of their driver for Windows 10 (and can be adapted for Windows 8.1), it's it has caused an increase of around 25% in terms of performance on the last two generations of cards (7xxx and r2xx), particularly in SLI implementations. I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be able to achieve Ultra detail with that spec, and in fact I'd say there would be room to spare. You might need to dig around in the command line instructions to fully open the taps, but yes, for sure.

Thanks for the reply! I've always favored Amd so stuck with them however it seems to have been there downfall of this build! Cannot wait for this game!

Thanks for the reply! I've always favored Amd so stuck with them however it seems to have been there downfall of this build! Cannot wait for this game!

Bang for bucks, nVidia simply cannot compete against the AMD, but it requires both the devs and the graphics card company to pull their finger out and do the work. Maybe we'll see some driver optimisations after release - this does seem to be a recurring theme with them, as opposed to the green team who release the optimisations as they can - but we know that SMS have done everything they possibly can their end to make the game perform, short of running the game on Mantle (which they have said will never happen, because they don't want to be hardware dependent, the same reason why PhysX is CPU-based, not GPU-based).

Could this be the reason why the game is so heavy on the CPU?
More likely for physics calculations, not PhysX :odd: PhysX is only used for particles, wind and stuff like that IIRC, but the heaviest part is still the calculations for the tire model which will push everything below an I7 hard :mischievous:

@Johnnypenso - thanks again, good point, i picked out the ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard, but thought for better sound to config these: Logitech Z906 and Asus Xonar DGX

Right after watching all these glorious videos of Project cars on a Pc, i am contemplating getting a Pc in the near future, would these specs be sufficient to run Project Cars on Max settings ?

Thanks

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4590 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, XFIRE/SLI
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready

@Johnnypenso - thanks again, good point, i picked out the ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard, but thought for better sound to config these: Logitech Z906 and Asus Xonar DGX
I wouldn't bother if it were me, I think you'll get great sound out of the motherboard. It's not like we're reproducing a symphony here:lol: If you are playing through speakers with surround sound, I think your choice of speakers is what will determine your ultimate sound experience. I have a Klipsch 10" self powered sub, and Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts, and Paradigm Titan rears and the sound in every game is glorious just using my onboard card. Music is excellent too if you're going to play music through the pc.

Right after watching all these glorious videos of Project cars on a Pc, i am contemplating getting a Pc in the near future, would these specs be sufficient to run Project Cars on Max settings ?

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4590 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, XFIRE/SLI
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
If not completely maxed, near enough to not matter:tup:

I'd also consider the 4590k. Last time I checked it was just a few dollars more than the standard 4590 and has the ability to be overclocked.

If not completely maxed, near enough to not matter:tup:

I'd also consider the 4590k. Last time I checked it was just a few dollars more than the standard 4590 and has the ability to be overclocked.

Thanks, will swap the it out for the 4590k, not too clued up on Pc specs, so thanks again.

Thanks
Dont want to be a partypooper, but you can only expect to run max settings with this rig if framerate isnt your priority #1. Im running a Xeon 1231 and a 970 and my target is to achieve 60fps in every conceivable situation...for this I can only run the game @1080p with proper AA and all other settings on high. For max settings you'd need at least an i7 (you'll be CPU bound quite early in this game..) and a second 970 (or one 980).

Dont want to be a partypooper, but you can only expect to run max settings with this rig if framerate isnt your priority #1. Im running a Xeon 1231 and a 970 and my target is to achieve 60fps in every conceivable situation...for this I can only run the game @1080p with proper AA and all other settings on high. For max settings you'd need at least an i7 (you'll be CPU bound quite early in this game..) and a second 970 (or one 980).

Ah right, no problem, thanks for your feedback, perhaps, i was being too over ambitious when stating Max settings, to achieve max settings with what you have suggested would be way over my budget, as long as i get a decent looking game and frame rate, i will be rather happy.

Thanks again.

Eeverything above high eats more fps thann it adds eyecandy anyway imho and fingers crossed there will be further optimisations (and NV driver updates) prior release :) You can already have most settings on max and still achieve at least 60fps, but not in a big grid with rainy weather :sly:

Eeverything above high eats more fps thann it adds eyecandy anyway imho and fingers crossed there will be further optimisations (and NV driver updates) prior release :) You can already have most settings on max and still achieve at least 60fps, but not in a big grid with rainy weather :sly:
I have a similar system to @Schumi-01 's and I can confirm this. Rain + full grid slashes FPS in half. Since changing graphics options requires a restart of the game I've just settled on sub-60 FPS in those cases and keep most of the stuff at Ultra. It's still 45+ in those cases, and once the grid disperses FPS go up quickly.

That said, dropping it all to Medium (except textures) and then using DSR to run at 4K produces similar framerates and still looks amazing. Project CARS looks great at whatever setting. 👍

hi everyone, building my rig has slowed down, because just don't know, which CPU FAN to get, how much clearance it will provide and etc. (NOT going with liquid cooling!)

1) Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K Desktop Processor
2) ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
3) Corsair Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit (CMD32GX4M4B3000C15)
4) ASUS MATRIX-GTX980-P-4GD5

a) go with NOCTUA, but which one?
b) go with Zalman CNPS14X? or CNPS12X?
c) go with COOLER MASTER, but which one?

then on another note:
1) CASE: Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Full Tower Windowed Case
comes with 140mm fans, which i want to replace and add to the case:

a) go with NOCTUA, but which ones, need 5x140mm and 1x120mm fans to be compatible with this case.
b) other brand???

hi everyone, building my rig has slowed down, because just don't know, which CPU FAN to get, how much clearance it will provide and etc. (NOT going with liquid cooling!)

1) Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K Desktop Processor
2) ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
3) Corsair Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit (CMD32GX4M4B3000C15)

then on another note:

a) go with NOCTUA, but which ones, need 5x140mm and 1x120mm fans to be compatible with this case.
b) other brand???
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is highly recommended for the CPU. If your case has 6 fans I wouldn't worry about cooling too much. The 980 series runs quite cool for a GPU and the i7 will barely break a sweat most of the time and if it does, the 212 Evo or simliar fan will take care of that.

then on another note:

b) other brand???
This is the cooler I'm using http://ebay.us/IvOIJ7, it rates a little better than the 212evo. It has a much better design with shrouds incorporated into the fans and ram hight should be fine.

WP_20141210_23_00_53_Pro.jpg

I'd recommend the Corsair H100i I know you said not going to water cooling but this is a cheap and sealed unit (£65). I use it on my 5820k overclocked to 4ghz my temps have never went over 60 at 100% utilisation. I have the exact motherboard you are looking at and rate it very highly.

image.jpg

People,

I would like to share some screen pictures of pcars 834 build in my I5 5490S with GTX 960 Mini - 16GB RAM.
See the fps with a grid of 20 cars in rain and dry weather. Sometimes I get 40 fps.

What do you think about the core and gpu temperatures? Is it normal? I am using stock cooler and my case doesn´t have good ventilation. See the pictures.

Give me your opnion

Thanks

Amauri
The 834 build is commonly known as the Pirate Bay build. You aren't posting pictures from a pirated version of the game in the Project Cars community are you?

Will I be able to run ultra/full detail at 1080p over three screens with i7 5820k @ 4.0ghz, 32gb ram (Ddr4 quad channel 2800mhz) and 2x amd r2 290's? I just built the machine and I'm worried as everyone favours nvidia cards :/

Lol you should be able to run at 1080p on 10 screens with that rig

Lol you should be able to run at 1080p on 10 screens with that rig
Not quite. The 2 x r9 290's will get you triple screens but not on extremely high settings. The rocketship CPU and extra memory won't affect the video output much at all.

Back