Project Cars or Asseto Corsa

• Thread starter Heels074
  • 211 comments
Speedster911 I didn't answer your private post to me because I didn't want to start an argument. It looks like you are pursuing me because you really want one. I wont happen.

For the record, the banter between myself and Mike_grpA IMHO was quite on topic because we discussed how close to "reality" AC is. It is difficult to discuss a Sim without alluding to how much of a Sim it actually is.

From a mods' point of view I would think that they will glad that there is some actual posting going on in this forum at the moment because gee, it's been quiet around here lately.

For the record, the mods took my post off as they obviously seem to have some kind of bias going on. I just had to let you know my sentiments through priv. IM. Your reply was inappropriate to begin with and you pretty much instigated the whole thing, again, for the record.

And no, you were not on-topic; the thread is a comparison between AC Vs PCARS, not RL or anything else as you so disrespectfully pointed out in your initial reply.

At this current rate of progression the question probably should be, Project CARS II, Assetto Corsa or GT Sport.

IMHO if Kunos does not get its act together with Custom Online Lobbies AC will be trampled to death in the exodus for these other two games.

But again, I will re-iterate, if customisable online play is a priority then as of today there is only one choice - PCARS

I would not put GT series in the same league as PCars or Assetto Corsa even though I started sim racing with GT series. AC physics is way too realistic comparing with GT and I think people can write a book about it.

I would not put GT series in the same league as PCars or Assetto Corsa even though I started sim racing with GT series. AC physics is way too realistic comparing with GT and I think people can write a book about it.
Well, we don't know for sure what improvements PD has made for GTSport. Maybe they've stepped it up and now have comparable physics. Either way, I think @TT92 still has a point with his comparison because those are the three "good" racing sims available on the Playstation. I think the majority of users are just looking to have a really good time racing and if the physics are top-notch that's a bonus, but if they're bungled a bit, like in GT6, no big deal. Heck, I was one of those people who thought GT6 was awesome even with the glaring driving physics issues. I have since moved on, of course, but I think most people are willing to make sacrifices to "have fun". The way Kunos f'ed up online play for console users is going to come back to haunt them big time, I believe.

At least now, or soon, player on PlayStation 4 have choices, back when we were on PS3, it was pretty much Gt6 or bust.
If I was still playing on console I would probably have 2 of the 3 or the 3.
PD will have to step up his game, they have real competition now. If GTS is more or less like GT6 physic wise they will have a hard time, no matter how shiny the graphics are or how sophisticated the online is.

Last edited:
Pcars2 will be out sometime this year so would skip pcars1. Assetto Corsa updates the contents and games all the time and there is no sequel announced so it won't be obsolete like pcars(1) will be very soon.
I own both and AC is so much better in my opinion, FFB, physics...etc. Project cars is just broken with all the bugs which can make it unplayable at times. Stopped playing jan 2016 because my ps4 crashed all the time while playing it.
GT sport might be released at the same time as Pcars2 so let's which one will be better in terms of physics and FFB...

It is good to have choices and options. As a sim racer, I will buy all games that I think are helpful to the racing genre. In fact, I like them all for different aspects. GT6 served me well in the league and online racing with friends. I used to race with SNAIL and also ALB_123 and we would care less about physics because it is just fun haha. Project Car so far, in my opinion, create very clean and competitive AIs driver that I can fine tune to my driving level. When I want racing with computer and appreciating the beauty of cars, I will turn on PCars. Lately, I have been obsessed with realism so I bought all car packs in Assetto Corsa and basically drive all cars around the Ring for fun.

I am waiting to buy Pcars2 and GT Sport. In fact, I pre-order them. By the way, in my opinion, it is better to enjoy these games for different aspects. The mentality of either this or that should be changed to why not both or why not all? :D

I'm saving money for a motion platform. I'm not impressed yet with the current ones I'm seeing. Can't wait to see if Sparco, Fanatec, Thurstmaster or Logitech moves in that direction.

Pcars2 will be out sometime this year so would skip pcars1. Assetto Corsa updates the contents and games all the time and there is no sequel announced so it won't be obsolete like pcars(1) will be very soon.
I never really thought about this. You make an excellent point, in my opinion. If you're trying to decide between AC or PCars you might as well get AC now and when PCars 2 comes out grab that sim...If you get PCars 1 right now and love it, I'm sure you'll upgrade to PCars 2 because PCars 2 must be better than PCars 1 and you already love PCars 1 -- that's a no brainer!! :dopey: However, now you've put yourself in a position where you never even tried Assetto Corsa. Chances are PCars is going to be pretty damn sweet, so you probably won't want to take a step backwards, in a sense, and get AC when you already have PCars 2. Heck, I only have Assetto Corsa and I absolutely love it...but I am super psyched to see PCars 2 get released. The head dude Ian Bell has really talked PCars 2 up on the PCars forum and if what he has been saying actually materializes - that's going to be a great product. I'll have to give it a try.

It is good to have choices and options. As a sim racer, I will buy all games that I think are helpful to the racing genre. In fact, I like them all for different aspects. GT6 served me well in the league and online racing with friends. I used to race with SNAIL and also ALB_123 and we would care less about physics because it is just fun haha. Project Car so far, in my opinion, create very clean and competitive AIs driver that I can fine tune to my driving level. When I want racing with computer and appreciating the beauty of cars, I will turn on PCars. Lately, I have been obsessed with realism so I bought all car packs in Assetto Corsa and basically drive all cars around the Ring for fun.

I am waiting to buy Pcars2 and GT Sport. In fact, I pre-order them. By the way, in my opinion, it is better to enjoy these games for different aspects. The mentality of either this or that should be changed to why not both or why not all? :D

I'm saving money for a motion platform. I'm not impressed yet with the current ones I'm seeing. Can't wait to see if Sparco, Fanatec, Thurstmaster or Logitech moves in that direction.

An excellent point and my sentiments exactly! I will purchase every good sim and racing title according to my taste and desire, even if it means investing in a specific console. However, I've held out on AC because CARS offers so much more. Had a go at AC the other day BTW - the physics are indeed spot on, but CARS, again, has so much more variety and feels much more complete, while offering fantastic physics.

ALB123, you should give Pcars a try. There are certain aspects you will like for sure that are missing in AC.
1. Dynamic weather and even real time weather.
2. No lagging even with 36 AI cars on track. On PS4, in AC, I think we are limited to 16 cars and it is lagging so much. Might be different for PC.
3. AIs are more fun to race. I can fine tune it to race with me from start to finish side by side cleanly and competitively. The AIs in AC are fast in certain corners but very slow on straight (as if they don't put full throttle) in easy, medium settings. Also, the easy AIs are way too slow while the medium AIs are quite fast. They should have something in between. That doesn't seem natural to me.
4. Multiple class racing. You can have classic, super, GT3, GT2, formula all racing together.
5. The epic menu sound. I mean it pump you up before the race by just listening to it.
6. More tracks. I guess you don't have this problem on PC but more on console.
7. Career mode is more refined by different classes. It seems connected and complete.
8. You can power slide or drift the car easier under control. I somehow feel that feeling is more natural because i can translate the power slide/drifting I do in real life to Pcars. I can't do the same in AC, the car breaks loose with little warning especially at slower speed. I thought that could be a bug. It just doesn't feel natural to me. Don't quote me on it. I'm just sharing my opinion.

Before someone start to attack me on the above point. I don't mean to hate AC. In fact, ALB123 turned me into an AC fanboy. I really like AC for pure driving pleasure. I just use it for hot lapping and nothing else.

Last edited:
I'm sure pCars is a fine sim, but I'd rather hold off until pCars 2 comes out. I don't even have enough time to do all the crap I want to do in AC and still get some track time in! I can't take on an entire new sim at the moment.

1. I would never, ever use the weather stuff like rain. I probably wouldn't ever use night driving unless I was forced to, however I do understand that a lot of people love that stuff, so it's better that they have it then not.

2. AC on the PC can run over 50 or 60 cars on the track at the same time. [LINK]

3. AI isn't a very strong point in Assetto Corsa, however, for us PC guys if we use a program called Content Manager when can set a range of AI strength...like, 85%-90% strength, for example...This appears to make the AI drive much, much better in my experience. Many others have experienced the same improvements. PCars might still be better tho -- I can't say for sure as I've not played it.

4. I can have LMP's, GT3's, Street Cars, Fred Flintstone's car (I'm dead serious) on the track at the same time. There are zero limitations on the PC version. Someone made a freakin' airplane that you can take off the long straight on Nordschleife and fly around! Physics must be doing alright for that. [LINK]

5. :lol: 33144 mp3/flac files on my file server downstairs "Pinky".

6. I'm currently at 260 tracks installed. Over 600 cars.

7. I guess the Career Mode in AC is pretty stinky...even on the PC - it's the same exact career mode, if I'm not mistaken. I only did a few events.

I do recognize all of the different shortcomings in the console version of Assetto Corsa. Hopefully your next update will contain the ability for people to create their own lobbies - then friends can gather to race with ease and not have to use the workaround to get everybody in the same room.

I know you're not crapping on Assetto Corsa. I think it's a universal agreement that PCars has better racing possibilities - mainly versus the Console version of AC. Even on the PC pCars is probably a better "racing" experience than on Assetto Corsa.

I'm sure pCars is a fine sim, but I'd rather hold off until pCars 2 comes out. I don't even have enough time to do all the crap I want to do in AC and still get some track time in! I can't take on an entire new sim at the moment.
We r in the same boat :D. AC is crazy with all the mods out there (tracks, skins, car, apps!!) Don't have time to play any other sim (R3E, AMS...etc).

Having Porsches in AC is another plus if u ask me.
Most of us will get pcars2 but until then i am driving this baby...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbimmer/shares/530G3U

32931662296_a557c85697_o.jpg

Last edited:
We r in the same boat :D. AC is crazy with all the mods out there (tracks, skins, car, apps!!) Don't have time to play any other sim (R3E, AMS...etc).

Having Porsches in AC is another plus if u ask me.
Most of us will get pcars2 but until then i am driving this baby...

View attachment 633742

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbimmer/shares/530G3U
Beautiful photo! 👍 I can't tell which track is that? The Evo Triangle? I just did a high speed run on the updated Evo Triangle from this week. I used a fresh car mod -- Nismo 400R. Not a bad car...Nothing great, but nothing awful about it.

You make many good points ALB123. I'm so jealous of the capacity of the PC version of AC. Why can't we have that many cars and tracks on PS4??? By the way, do you happen to have Lexus IS350, Lexus ISF, Lexus RCF, Lexus LFA, Lexus LF-LC on the PC version??

Ha, Kunos is getting into the flight business now?? Interesting.

To be honest, there aren't really too many Lexus mods out there and the ones that are available aren't exactly of great quality. Usually they're mods that were made 2 or 3 years ago and completely neglected so everything is old with the data, the sounds don't work anymore, etc.

That's why I end up working on certain cars if they really appeal to me, but are in bad shape. I give them a complete tune up! :lol: Coincidentally, a new Lexus LFA-Nurburgring Edition just released tonight. Just before making this post I did about 10 laps in each car. There is the stock LFA and then a track day edition (fantasy/tweaked for the track). I prefer the stock which probably doesn't come as a surprise. :) I am surprised that there aren't FSport and RCF mods available yet.

Motion is definitely on my list as well, but I already have a decent PC and VR goggles, if you are still on console, changing to PC seems to me like your next logical step.
Even the choice of software available for running motion on a console must be pretty limited.

Motion is definitely on my list as well, but I already have a decent PC and VR goggles, if you are still on console, changing to PC seems to me like your next logical step.
Even the choice of software available for running motion on a console must be pretty limited.
Ha, you are the 2nd person that said that :) ALB123 has urged me many many many times lol. I feel like I should have started with PC right in the beginning. I wonder if I can hook up the PC with a big 1080p TV with good resolution and no lagging. Couple more questions:
1. Does AC work with VR via PC?
2. What minimum graphics card is required to run AC stable with 40FPS+ at a medium settings?
3. How much budget is needed for a PC? I knows this will vary a lot but please give out a range.
4. Since I already purchased all the season pass and add on from PS store, can I transfer these over to the PC version or I have to pay again for it?

To be honest, there aren't really too many Lexus mods out there and the ones that are available aren't exactly of great quality. Usually they're mods that were made 2 or 3 years ago and completely neglected so everything is old with the data, the sounds don't work anymore, etc.

That's why I end up working on certain cars if they really appeal to me, but are in bad shape. I give them a complete tune up! :lol: Coincidentally, a new Lexus LFA-Nurburgring Edition just released tonight. Just before making this post I did about 10 laps in each car. There is the stock LFA and then a track day edition (fantasy/tweaked for the track). I prefer the stock which probably doesn't come as a surprise. :) I am surprised that there aren't FSport and RCF mods available yet.

Kind of sad to see that Lexus is not that popular in sim racing :( Lexus LFA is my #1 dream car. I want to own this car before I die. I will buy it immediately if I win the lotto. I have seen 4 different LFA in different colors in various California location, and also sit in this car driven by a professional driver on the autocross. The sound of this car in real life is just incredible. It sounds like F1 formula car.

Ha, you are the 2nd person that said that :) ALB123 has urged me many many many times lol. I feel like I should have started with PC right in the beginning. I wonder if I can hook up the PC with a big 1080p TV with good resolution and no lagging. Couple more questions:
1. Does AC work with VR via PC?
2. What minimum graphics card is required to run AC stable with 40FPS+ at a medium settings?
3. How much budget is needed for a PC? I knows this will vary a lot but please give out a range.
4. Since I already purchased all the season pass and add on from PS store, can I transfer these over to the PC version or I have to pay again for it?

Hooking up to a tv will likely introduce some input lag, but many people do it without too much complaint. It's certainly possible, and probably good enough if that's the only option. I played on three 32" tvs for two years and got by fine, but when I upgraded to proper monitors it was a nice improvement.

1. Yes
2. On medium settings with a target of only 40fps, I'd say most cards released in the last 3-4 years would be sufficient (I'm just guessing here). I used a 970gtx for two years and ran triple screens at medium settings with well over 60fps. I've seen people with lesser cards than the 970 running a single screen with no problems.
3. Depends on what route you go, I'd estimate between $800-1200, maybe a little less, to get one that can run all the sims with good FPS and be able to do so for the next few years. I just bought a new one for $1200 and it's a beast, I run AC at maximum settings across three screens and average 107fps according to the benchmark test.
4. No

Kind of sad to see that Lexus is not that popular in sim racing :( Lexus LFA is my #1 dream car. I want to own this car before I die. I will buy it immediately if I win the lotto. I have seen 4 different LFA in different colors in various California location, and also sit in this car driven by a professional driver on the autocross. The sound of this car in real life is just incredible. It sounds like F1 formula car.
It shocks me too. Fortunately, a pretty sweet Lexus LFA mod was just released. The one that had been around for quite some time wasn't so hot. :boggled:

If you're seriously considering motion you'll have no shortage of people to talk to for tips & suggestions even on the Assetto Corsa forums. There is a huge thread dedicated to racing rigs and some of those people have some insane setups that they've built themselves. I get so jealous when I peek in there. I'm sure all of the modern PC sims have support forums with motion rig racers who can provide outstanding guidance. VR & Motion... :crazy: I'll be flying back to California to spend a month at your place. :lol:

I have been really digging online PCars lately. AC is gathering dust, and I'm finished with Gran Turismo 6 except when new seasonal races are released.

So I haven't really messed with any racing games on PS4. I was waiting on GTS but I need something to hold me over till that comes out since I didn't get the better. My driving skills aren't the best at all and I can't tune a lick. So which game will help me learn racing and tuning skills the best??

I can't believe this topic is still going, lol. Not sure why people are even comparing AC and Pcars on PC with mods and stuff, since the question was specifically about PS4, so this comparison should only be about the console versions. In any case, the only answer to the question is get both, the earliest Pcars 2 will come out is September, but I doubt we'll see it before December. SMS are hell bent on getting this one properly polished before they release it, so I'm expecting a delay. Hopefully it'll be out in time for Christmas. Until then, there's a ton of life in the first Pcars still, and to be perfectly honest, AC on console doesn't have much replay value. They are both awesome for completely different reasons, which is why they go together well in a PS4 collection.

I can't believe this topic is still going, lol. Not sure why people are even comparing AC and Pcars on PC with mods and stuff, since the question was specifically about PS4, so this comparison should only be about the console versions. In any case, the only answer to the question is get both, the earliest Pcars 2 will come out is September, but I doubt we'll see it before December. SMS are hell bent on getting this one properly polished before they release it, so I'm expecting a delay. Hopefully it'll be out in time for Christmas. Until then, there's a ton of life in the first Pcars still, and to be perfectly honest, AC on console doesn't have much replay value. They are both awesome for completely different reasons, which is why they go together well in a PS4 collection.
Alright. India like a plan then. How should I go about playing them tho? Ashamed to say but I'm a guy who's always relied on assists to drive. So should I just straight go off the assists or go in stages?

Alright. India like a plan then. How should I go about playing them tho? Ashamed to say but I'm a guy who's always relied on assists to drive. So should I just straight go off the assists or go in stages?

Nothing to be ashamed of mate. I remember playing games like Gran Turismo 3 with assists. Hell, I remember when I was a kid, playing F1 World Grand Prix on N64 with all the assists, even steering and brake assists, so I could hold full throttle and just roughly steer in the general direction of the corners lol. The car basically drove itself. We've all gotta start somewhere :gtpflag:

Anyway, for these games I'd recommend using TC and ABS to begin with if that's what you're used to. If you want to eventually run without assists, then slowly and progressively reduce them, and give yourself plenty of time to get used to having to use finer control of your inputs before reducing them further. I'd start with reducing TC, because throttle control is a really important skill to learn. It's easier to focus on that and your steering inputs, and leave ABS on so you can just slam the brakes, because it gives you one less thing to focus on. Eventually, the throttle control will become second nature, and when that time comes, you can learn to control the braking properly without ABS.

It's easier this way IMO, to learn the finer control of inputs one at a time. I'm assuming you'll be using a wheel of course, as fine throttle and brake control is much easier with a wheel, because your pedal travel is much more than the pad triggers, and the FFB will give you valuable information about what the car is doing underneath you, regarding traction loss, the rear end stepping out (of front end washing out in a FWD), and when the brakes are locking up.

Nothing to be ashamed of mate. I remember playing games like Gran Turismo 3 with assists. Hell, I remember when I was a kid, playing F1 World Grand Prix on N64 with all the assists, even steering and brake assists, so I could hold full throttle and just roughly steer in the general direction of the corners lol. The car basically drove itself. We've all gotta start somewhere :gtpflag:

Anyway, for these games I'd recommend using TC and ABS to begin with if that's what you're used to. If you want to eventually run without assists, then slowly and progressively reduce them, and give yourself plenty of time to get used to having to use finer control of your inputs before reducing them further. I'd start with reducing TC, because throttle control is a really important skill to learn. It's easier to focus on that and your steering inputs, and leave ABS on so you can just slam the brakes, because it gives you one less thing to focus on. Eventually, the throttle control will become second nature, and when that time comes, you can learn to control the braking properly without ABS.

It's easier this way IMO, to learn the finer control of inputs one at a time. I'm assuming you'll be using a wheel of course, as fine throttle and brake control is much easier with a wheel, because your pedal travel is much more than the pad triggers, and the FFB will give you valuable information about what the car is doing underneath you, regarding traction loss, the rear end stepping out (of front end washing out in a FWD), and when the brakes are locking up.
I haven't bought a wheel yet, been saving up for one this year haha. I'm still in the process of learning apex, driving line and all that stuff. I want to be good at racing online and actually stand a chance as well as playing like the real players online do. I'll def start with assists on and slowly get away from them. Thanks for the advice

Back