PS3 General Discussion

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Solid Lifters, May 17, 2005.

1. Gturismo1

Gturismo1

I think that this is just a prototype.

First thing I noticed was the Spiderman Font. I know Spiderman is a Sony Pictures film, but why would you not use the standard PS2-type font. Especially with all the teaser-ads going around with the word "Chang3" using the old-style font.

Second, slot load seems to be a bad idea to me. It welcomes dust, and that only leads to problems. However, I would prefer it if it had some kind of door that kept dust out when the disc is inserted. Why? I have gone through two PS2s because the tray just decided to stop working. The motors continually got slower until it just stopped working. Makes you wonder if thats why the switched the design on the Slim-PS2.

Also, that video is not GT5. It is basically GT4 running on a PS3 Dev Kit, with some added cars and more people running around. I really saw no graphical difference between that video and GT4. It was GT4 with more Quantity, not Quality.

Either way, it shows the power of the PS3, and i'm sure its just the tip of the iceberg. However, I plan to buy both next-gen consoles, they both seem impressive to me.

But my main concern is whether Sony can build an Online Community such as Xbox Live, because if they don't, it won't matter if they have the more powerful console.

2. Layzie

Layzie

3. Blackbird.

Blackbird. Premium

Yes, we have addressed that many of a times in different threads. ;) We know it's not GT5.

4. Blake

Blake Premium

Wow, I like, those F1 screens look pretty damn good (finally some advertising on their helmets :)).

Blake

5. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

I think you guys have seen those blue, boomerang shaped PS2 controllers(logitech?). Anyways, I really didn't like that design and it was kinda awkward holding it. I hope this PS3 controller isn't the final version. Personally, I'm hoping for an Dreamcast, Xbox or Gamecube type controllers.

6. Blackbird.

Blackbird. Premium

It will take some getting used to. But really they had to. I'm sure if it were them they would do very minor changes to it if it weren't for the legal problems.

7. franz

franz Premium

ignore

8. Blackbird.

Blackbird. Premium

Broken link?

9. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

The problem with the design, it was causing a lot of hand fatigue. Plus, the shock function does a lot of damage to the joints. Trust me, you're better off without it. I usually turn it off.

The E3 press conference video is right here!

Franz, get rid of that address for the conference. I have it here. It's causing everyone to side scroll, and we're trying to avoid that in this thread. Thanks.

10. Jedi2016

Jedi2016

It's not letting me save that vid, Lifters... it opens in WMP, even when I try "Save As.." And I don't feel like staying up for another two hours to watch it, it's 2AM already.. hehe.

11. BlackZ28

BlackZ28

Same here! It just seems like Microsoft listens to the gamers. I never had the feeling of SONY caring whatsoever... just broken promises. But I hope the PS3 is a monster.

12. Max_DC

Max_DC

Console design : :tup: :tup: :tup:

Pad design : :tup: :tdown: my hand has to touch it first... maybe its ok...

GT5 preview : :tup: as we said, just GT4 demo on PS3, what I look for is an
    ----------------interactive environement : trees moving in the wind, moving clouds,
    ----------------different seasons, animals etc, would be more important for me than
    ----------------16 cars....maybe that's just me....

Other games : :tup: :tup: :tup: Killzone - the offroad racer - warhawk ...
    --------------- some might be really faked though, don't think e.a. that F1 is ingame.

That thing will be right on its way to me from Japan as soon it is released, I payed about 900 $ for PS2, Ridge Racer V and a Memory Card, and if there is a killer app at the release I will do it right again... can't wait.....

Still waiting for Nintendo Revolution, and a Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Starfox, Wave Race and Pilot Wings demo !!!

13. I6-4-eva

I6-4-eva

Amazing! PS3 looks great! the controller does look a little strange but I hope it'll feel just like the DS2 that's all that matters. Ah i want it in my hands now!

14. Solid Fro

Solid Fro Premium

All they need now is Colony Wars and G-Police!

If Nintendo can pull this one off with realistic graphics and physics, I just might buy Nintendo's next console.

15. Max_DC

Max_DC

Yeah I loved Pilot Wings... I've read several times that it should come for the Game Cube sequel, I pray that it is true... make it a lauch game and I order the JP - Revolution right from the start with UPS express from Hong Kong, no matter if it costs a little more as always at the lauch , where hardware is still limited.... :idea: wait, I'll do that anyway :sly:
    as well as PS3, right from the jp-release... I'd like to see a good Ridge Racer at the start again, but a real Ridge Racer like V or the PSP one, not like R: Racing revolution which was..crap...

16. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

Is there an Pilot Wings Demo? I can't remember what I thought of an PW for N64, but the Super NES/Super Famicom version was one of my favorite games back then. I still have it somewhere. :tup:

17. code_kev

code_kev

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614619/e3-2005-ps3-official-20050516052424806.jpg So it's a silver banana. It looks like a cheap pc pad from 1993.

The machine it self looks ok though, the xbox 2/360 what ever would look nicer sitting next to my tv though from a pure asthetic point of view. I'm sure it will be scary powerfull though, but I can't see the stuff really looking any better on either system, look at the ps2 vs xbox for example. Nice screenies too, the killzone 2 ones are simply gorgeous. I just hope it doesn't play ANYTHING like the first.

It's another person "raging against the machine". The "OMG OMG I HATE BILL GATE$$$" stuff got boring about 7 years ago. No one cares anymore, it's not like he makes the machines himself. I care not who made it, but what the games are like.

18. Ruffest

Ruffest

Overall, as a devoted Sony fan, I will be very happy with the PS3 once it gets it's Japanese release. Till then, there is life in the PS2 yet.

19. McLaren

McLaren Premium

20. McLaren

McLaren Premium

You can't see anything looking better on either system?
    OK then, but I can.

After seeing some 360 videos and these PS3 videos, besides the GT4.5, the PS3 games all look better. The 360 ones look like Xbox games.

21. code_kev

code_kev

This is the most stupid thing I have read all day. Nice one! Ok ok my turn! Killzone 2 looks just like killzone Duhhhhhh :dopey:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...project-gotham-racing-3-20050517003046836.jpg

When you find me an xbox game that looks that good, please tell me! And really, if you say something like "gt4 looks better", I'll laugh you off the face of the Earth.

The point that I was trying to make was that hardware specs etc seem not to really make such a huge difference, as seen in this generation where PS2 games have still looked good compared to xbox ones...forget it...

I also try not to read too much in to sony's power claims...ps2...I remember them being ridiculous for that!

22. Max_DC

Max_DC

The N64 one was absolutly great at that time, that was freedom at a time 3D environments were something new... That was sooo awesome, I heard that Pilotwings should get a sequel on the Revolution, but that was some time ago.... I really hope it comes... with great grafics and gameplay.... I would order that one right from the releaselist.... :drool:

Anyways... have a look at these fantastic ( especially the face-lanscape-getaway video # 2 )

PS3 TECH DEMOS

Link to the Tech demo videos

Just amazing ....

although I know it is just a tech demo, it is however real time and gives us an idea of future features and what 2nd or 3rd generation PS3 games might almost look like...

23. cpl_richie

cpl_richie

24. Cosmic

Cosmic (Banned)

I like the PS3's desing but the controller is damn ugly, looks like a dildo where you hold it.

25. Race Idiot

Race Idiot (Banned)

26. Lamp

Lamp

xbox360 games look exactly the same as old xbox games
    (the preview ones atleast).

and did CoL lag horribly at the presentetion or is it my computer ;/.

27. Robin

Robin Premium

OMG! how amazing does the PS3 look! :crazy: :crazy: it looks the best in black buy far.......kind of a side on areofoil design! kicks Xbox's ulgy curvy design.....and its more powerful! 2 times more powerful graphics card and has 2.1 teraflops of processing power compared to the Xbox 360.........finally Sony have managed to do to xbox what they did to them over 5 years ago!.....now the xbox fanboys cant slag the playstation off!............Its now down to sony to sort out thier online service because I do feel xbox live has the upper hand!

.........however...............How bloody ulgy is the controller!!!!! :grumpy: it is the worst thing I have ever seen.......why could they not have a wireless DS2 styled controller........it looks horrible......and I bet that that is not going to be the final controller design.......it says on the pictures that everything is suject to change.....hopefully once they hear how bad the controller is they will change it......it looks like those fake ones that you see on the net.....plus it is totally un-useable..... you cannot reach the L buttons if the handles are that long.....it ruins the units image entirely...... :nervous:

But at least the console looks amazing! :sly:

How smug does the president of SCEE look!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. Jacks

Jacks

That PGR3 shot looks awesome. :drool: but after reading sonys power claims they don't seem to be to unachievable. The power claims of the PS2 were a bit implausable at the time and nobody really believed them, but looking at the power claims of both systems side by side, sony can afford to lose some. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614783p1.html

Edit: after looking around a bit the XBOX360 games don't look all that impressive yet, apart from the said screenshot above

29. code_kev

code_kev

Robin...please, stop ranting. You, nor I can really say anything about either machine based on marketing specs. It's also not that nice looking, looks like a george foreman grill (look on fark for a great photoshop XD).

30. F1GTR

F1GTR Premium

F1:drool:
    Vision GT:drool:

All we need is DAMAGE! AI! and NOT a silver banana(controller)

That song in the vision GT trailer is stuck in my head now