PS4 PATCH 2.0 is out!!!!PS4 

• Thread starter Big Alex
  • 128 comments
There is a distinct lack of bass on a surround system. I would usually use -36dB on my Yamaha amp but with this game it's up to -30dB. PC1 however was very loud but the mix was better at -40dB.

They've put rear engined cars to the rear surround speakers which is fine in theory but when you look at most 5.1 setups the rear speakers are satellites which don't have the same bass response as front speakers so the mix is very flat. My setup is 2 large Monitor Audio floor standers left and right with smaller speakers for the centre and rear speakers.

If you're in a rear engined car you don't just hear engine noise from the rear as the sound travels around the cabin. The sound design and mix needs to reflect that.

The update has been a lot better for me bar sounds. Being able to actually choose setups now is great. Not sure why the cars aren't set to stable by default. The ginetta is actually very predictable now. I feel like the FFB has been tweaked also as I'm getting a lot of information about what's happening. This may be because I've come from the GT Sport demo which is a little numb in comparison. I still personally wish it had a little more strength to it.

Bingo... there is nothing in the mix below 120Hz regardless of where the mix is coming from spatially. For example if the sound is coming from satellite rears that are unable to extend below 120hz then the crossover set at 120hz or 80hz or whatever you set your specific crossover at should route that frequency to the sub.

The issue is there is nothing to route below 120hz or there abouts... so there are simply no bass frequencies to amplify for a tactile transducer or subwoofer. This is my experience on PS4. I wonder if PC users have the same issue or completely different mix altogether.

For example if you watch 650s GT3 videos on youtube on PC, the cockpit sound is very different. The 650s gt3 on PS4 cockpit sound is like a lawnmower, there is very strange garden mower sound that isn't present at all in the PC videos.

Bingo... there is nothing in the mix below 120Hz regardless of where the mix is coming from spatially. For example if the sound is coming from satellite rears that are unable to extend below 120hz then the crossover set at 120hz or 80hz or whatever you set your specific crossover at should route that frequency to the sub.

The issue is there is nothing to route below 120hz or there abouts... so there are simply no bass frequencies to amplify for a tactile transducer or subwoofer. This is my experience on PS4. I wonder if PC users have the same issue or completely different mix altogether.

For example if you watch 650s GT3 videos on youtube on PC, the cockpit sound is very different. The 650s gt3 on PS4 cockpit sound is like a lawnmower, there is very strange garden mower sound that isn't present at all in the PC videos.
Thats interesting i wonder why the difference! I get the difference in ffb and graphics but not sound.

Damn it is hard to get used to the new downshifting, especially if it is a long turn with a braking zone into another turn

Still very quiet - still having to run my surround sound system almost maxed out and still nowhere near the excellent audio feel and balance of PC1. Still far too weak an audio signal and still no life in my Buttkicker and Bass Shaker system - a real shame because the class leading tactile audio effects are probably somewhere in the game, but I just can't get to them at the moment.

GT5 / GT6 had default settings of 90 with the option of increasing to 120 which enabled me to use the game settings to increase a weak audio effects track to an acceptable level for tactile transducers. Maybe SMS could patch this audio and keep the standard default setting of 100, but add an option of increasing the audio tracks to 150 for those who like me are struggling with the weak volume levels in this game?
Unfortunately I can't get a response as to whether or not this is being addressed. I've commented in a couple bug forums, both on GTPlanet and Project Cars 2, with no acknowledgement. I'm leery of starting a new thread because of all the push back when it comes to negativity, but I just think this is an issue that needs addressing. The volume needs to be on maximum level to play with headphones, and no other game requires that - including Project Cars 1 (I had the PCars 1 main volume setting on 70). Perhaps we need to be more vocal about this? I just don't know if SMS is aware we'd like this changed.
I've played pCars2 on my 1,200 watt surround sound and I'm not having any issues. I have two 300 watt 10inch Klipsch subs, 4 polk audio bookshelf speakers and a Boston Acustic center speaker. The bass can be felt upstairs through the floor or when sitting on furniture. No need for a transducer here. lol
So did that sound system come with a Deluxe Pack of the game or something? Because I missed that option. I'd like to hear the game through my headphones, like I did the previous version. :sly: Of course I'm just busting your chops, but I really don't want to invest in extra audio equipment to experience the same volume levels as Project Cars 1, or Assetto Corsa, or GTSport, or Dirt Rally, or Dirt 4, etc. has. Especially when I have to play at night with headphones because my child is sleeping. Your system, while quite nice, would NOT help with that! :lol:

Definitely using the subwoofer on my PC setup (PC is hooked up via HDMI to a Denon AVR X-2000 hooked up to a 5.1 setup). When I export this vid to mp3 and analyse it, it shows me this graph. There's definitely low-end in there, and lots of it too. Maybe the 5.1 signal on your end is missing the .1 ? Also curious about other PS4 users, whether they have the same experience? @Scaff has a good system hooked up to his PS4 Pro too.

Definitely using the subwoofer on my PC setup (PC is hooked up via HDMI to a Denon AVR X-2000 hooked up to a 5.1 setup). When I export this vid to mp3 and analyse it, it shows me this graph. There's definitely low-end in there, and lots of it too. Maybe the 5.1 signal on your end is missing the .1 ? Also curious about other PS4 users, whether they have the same experience? @Scaff has a good system hooked up to his PS4 Pro too.
I had my finger on the Buttkicker Gamer 2 buy button the other day (there was a brief sale), but decided I'm holding off until I see if Project Cars 2 audio is any different than Project cars 1. Glad I waited. It's my next step for realism, but I want to be sure there's enough output on the PS4. If my ears aren't getting enough, how's my ass...umption of my butt going to get enough?

Getting a similar graph when exporting PS4 videos BTW (plenty of low-end), so I don't think it's a general issue for everyone.

I have 2 floorstanders and 3 smaller speakers for centre and surround. The amplifier routes bass through my bi amped floorstanders. I don’t need a sub as they give more than enough. It all been set up with the Mic supplied with the amp to make sure the frequency response is how it should be across the audible range.

The problem is the routing of the sound as mentioned in previous posts. Rear engines cars are routing to the surround speakers with nothing being pushed to the front speakers so they sound flat due to the frequency response of surround speakers.

Overall the sound mix and level is clearly not right given that we’re all having to bring it up to an acceptable level in post.

I think it may be a good idea to make a thread about it.

Haven't seen this metioned yet:

Bear in mind though there's a bug where if you set the weather to clear or light snow, the grip on the track is very poor, even with Ice tyres. Setting the weather to heavy snow or blizzard, and waiting a few minutes (or increasing time acceleration) gives you expected levels of grip.

Tested on a couple of tracks, this appears to be fixed. Thankfully, despite my problems with the new controller settings, the RX cars still feel great - so much fun to drift round all these tracks in crisp, sunny winter settings. 👍

Do you know which app to download. I see two
Assuming you mean Android
PCars Dash and RS Dash are available.

Both Apps are from the same folks and they say you should get RS Dash for PC2. Both Apps have the same interface - so there is no difference.

RS Dash has in app purchases for multiple Games.

Give me some Time and i check back if PCars Dash works still

UPDATE
PCars Dash doesnt work properly on Tracks new to PC2 so you are better off getting RS Dash

Last edited:
Just played it for the first time after the patch. I can drive on snow now. Definitely going to put more time into this now

I finally got around to playing the game after installing the patch. Please note I'm on standard PS4

Here's my observations from a quick GT3 session at SUGO

Some good things I noticed:
-Menu lag has decreased
-Hasn't crashed yet
-Pit stop timer is a good addition
-The 650s no longer spins in long corners

Some bad things I noticed:
-Texture pop-in is still very noticeable on other cars, sometimes it doesn't load until I'm right on top of them
-Random floating barriers in SUGO after I hit restart session
-Screen tearing
-About halfway through a lap at SUGO between Sector 1 and 2, I would get this weird lag that stuttered for a second or two. Happened consistently every lap. Loaded it again and it went away.

Just a small finding, I noticed that switching "post processing filters" OFF improved the graphics a bit for me; or so I felt.

-About halfway through a lap at SUGO between Sector 1 and 2, I would get this weird lag that stuttered for a second or two. Happened consistently every lap. Loaded it again and it went away.

I've seen people complain about a lag bug in SUGO specifically. The track is probably bugged.

I've seen people complain about a lag bug in SUGO specifically. The track is probably bugged.
It occurs if you roll over the rumble strip on the outside between the two left-hand corners before the long right-hander to the front straight. It's fine if you avoid that rumble strip, maybe some slight weirdness as you pass through but it's hard to tell for sure.

It occurs if you roll over the rumble strip on the outside between the two left-hand corners before the long right-hander to the front straight. It's fine if you avoid that rumble strip, maybe some slight weirdness as you pass through but it's hard to tell for sure.
I haven't experienced it at Sugo but I've been getting a lag at Brno and Fuji, usually on longer races around 45 minutes or longer using GT3 and it will happen halfway through the race, annoying as it will happen randomly when cornering and can be enough for me to go off the track

I haven't experienced it at Sugo but I've been getting a lag at Brno and Fuji, usually on longer races around 45 minutes or longer using GT3 and it will happen halfway through the race, annoying as it will happen randomly when cornering and can be enough for me to go off the track
I haven't seen anything specifically to those tracks, but I have occasionally gotten small blips of time-warping or slowdown, particularly with a large grid of cars and high demand on the system. Hopefully SMS will be able to incorporate some more optimization in future patches. I can live with a struggling framerate with a lot of stuff going on, but it's no good for timing to be thrown off in a racing game.

Back