QM Exiles

• Thread starter bone_tone
  • 1,794 comments
I'll bet there will be no moaning about dirty drivers and the penalty system. When you've spent the last couple of years racing dirty drivers using srf and cars that are 2s a lap quicker, and a penalty system that gives you a penalty when they brake-check you or run you off the road, but lets them off, GTS seems like a paragon of fair-play.

Today I've been doing Suzuka in a Jaguar F-Type. It's absolutely fine with no TC.

I've been thinking the whole afternoon about some prosa to start with here ... things like how great the other thread is and how wonderful the guys and gals are ...
You've been faster BT - this time !

:lol:

Thank you !

Come on everybody, let's turn this new thread into the lively GTS race home the old one has been for GT6 QM.

:cheers:

You've been faster BT - this time !

There had to be a first time!

'@StirlingMoose - I'll bet there will be no moaning about dirty drivers and the penalty system. When you've spent the last couple of years racing dirty drivers using srf and cars that are 2s a lap quicker, and a penalty system that gives you a penalty when they brake-check you or run you off the road, but lets them off, GTS seems like a paragon of fair-play.'

It doesn't take long to work out how to avoid the rammers etc, and hence avoid the damage to your SR.

I've reported this elsewhere on the site, I had a great race the other day at the Lake Maggiore daily - all drivers were B/S, and all finished with a blue SR at the end of the race. Clean racing and respect for each other made it very pleasurable :)

Last edited:
Good job on the new thread.

I still haven't run an online race as I'm nowhere near smooth enough yet. I'm wracking the miles up practising with about 1400 miles in 3 days but now I've got it into my head to switch to manual. Long overdue but this game is really making me pull my socks up if I want to get anywhere near as comfortable as I was with GT6. Ah well.

Good job on the new thread.

I still haven't run an online race as I'm nowhere near smooth enough yet. I'm wracking the miles up practising with about 1400 miles in 3 days but now I've got it into my head to switch to manual. Long overdue but this game is really making me pull my socks up if I want to get anywhere near as comfortable as I was with GT6. Ah well.

I'm nowhere near as comfortable as I was with GT6. The good news is everyone is in the same boat. I honestly feel my driving is pretty rubbish so far but still I'm managing mostly podiums. You'll slay them in the lower ranks.

I'm nowhere near as comfortable as I was with GT6. The good news is everyone is in the same boat. I honestly feel my driving is pretty rubbish so far but still I'm managing mostly podiums. You'll slay them in the lower ranks.
As you say, everyone is in the same boat.

And, as with GT6, it has been the racing that has improved my laptimes on GTS - you learn from other drivers.

To those who already have some OL racing under their belt now :
Did you pick events you liked ... or race just everything and everyone ?

Edit :
I did a handful of races on day 2 on Suzuka East which were crash fests and I immediately thought of an ingame write-to button where you can choose from 'All participants' or 'selected PSN-ID'.
Maybe haven't searched enough, do they have such a function ?
Otherwise I'll probably start a new thread and make a suggestion.
Btw I'd absolutely prefer sending congrats to everyone after a great race :) !

Last edited:

Edit :
I did a handful of races on day 2 on Suzuka East which were crash fests and I immediately thought of an ingame write-to button where you can choose from 'All participants' or 'selected PSN-ID'.
I've just been picking events I like - usually the ones that are the least likely to become a crash fest!

Good to see you all on here - hope the rest of the 'regulars' will join in! :)

Had my first race at Brands... Oh boy. I see how important it is to bother with setting a decent lap in qualifying now as the people I got stuck behind were braking so early, they were on another track. Got a run on them easily but they then started weaving everywhere. Lesson learned. Time to get stuck into hot lapping to try and leap frog them.

The Clio is good fun to chuck about but I haven't raced it yet. Just qualifying it. The handbrake comes in handy occasionally.

...and is anyone who uses the DS4 using the coutersteer assist? Looking in the manual, the expert settings turn it on for the controller but off for the wheel. Is it because it needs it? I ran with it turned off from the start but now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the DS4's steering and it's actually needed.

If other people are using it, I can justify trying to get used to it but if nobody is using it, I don't want to look for an advantage...if there is one.

Sorry for the daft questions but as you know, I was late to the party and I'm still finding my feet.:embarrassed:

Had my first race at Brands... Oh boy. I see how important it is to bother with setting a decent lap in qualifying now as the people I got stuck behind were braking so early, they were on another track. Got a run on them easily but they then started weaving everywhere. Lesson learned. Time to get stuck into hot lapping to try and leap frog them.

The Clio is good fun to chuck about but I haven't raced it yet. Just qualifying it. The handbrake comes in handy occasionally.

...and is anyone who uses the DS4 using the coutersteer assist? Looking in the manual, the expert settings turn it on for the controller but off for the wheel. Is it because it needs it? I ran with it turned off from the start but now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the DS4's steering and it's actually needed.

If other people are using it, I can justify trying to get used to it but if nobody is using it, I don't want to look for an advantage...if there is one.

Sorry for the daft questions but as you know, I was late to the party and I'm still finding my feet.:embarrassed:

First of all ... congrats, your first race ... and Christmas is still more than 6 weeks ahead :cheers:.

The CSA, there you are, I'll be cautious ( I've burned my mouth on this more than is healthy ) :
Like mentioned in the QM thread I think its benefit depends on car character, track, maybe driving style.
It's not SRF, you might gain a couple of tenths on a lap though. I won't use it :crazy: !

Also did the Clio quali an hour ago, put in maybe 20 - 25 laps and ended with a 2.07.9 ... pleased with that 👍.

I did a few races at Brands today. Tried the F-Type, Cayman and Alfa 4C. The BoP thing seems to work pretty well, not much in it in terms of lap times, so it comes down to which car is more fun to drive and suits your driving style. I got my DR up to C and SR to S and decided to quit while I was ahead. It was all pretty clean with other S rated players - everyone is trying to protect their rankings I suppose, so while you may see the occasional example of over-enthusiasm there are no clowns.
With so many people playing and the ranking system it seems unlikely that we are going to meet up on track very often. I've still not met anyone I recognised from GT6.
Regarding CSA, it feels to me more like AS in GT6 than SRF. It makes the car feel a bit lifeless and any speed advantage is marginal. That's with a wheel. I don't know about with a controller.
Apparently there are points to be had from improving on your grid position, so starting at the back and working your way up may up your rating, but with overtaking being pretty tricky with such evenly matched cars and drivers, the chances of getting through the pack unscathed are slim. Getting a good qualifying time would seem to be the way to go.

@StirlingMoose
All this info is really helpful, so thanks for that 👍.

I don't have anything of big help - only gossip.
As a irl Toyota driver I fell in love with the tiny S-FR N400 beast, made a livery, raced offline and decided to post a picture :

IMG_0289.JPG

Dragon Trail / N400 pro race / no assists / SM / upgrade 1 / fastest lap 2.02
AI has improved a lot, great for practise and fiddling with setups.
Tranny flip definitely works atm.

Do you all still use the accounts from QM ? I'm on my main account now and planned to send FRs soon :) ...

Last edited:
I won't use it :crazy:

That's good enough for me then. I'll leave it alone.👍

Reran qualifying with a 2:10something (:eek:@JOE's time...!) that puts me near the front and I've won from 3rd in the next race. Likewise Brands with a 34.8 and I've been on pole for 2 races out of 2. Buggered up the first attempt when I ran wide at Paddock (like you do) but ran away with the next race. That was in the Ferarri by the way. Only a 2:03 at Nurb as I'm fighting the car a lot but I'm holding position mid pack ok. Never got on with that track.

One thing I've noticed is how tempered people's passing attempts are. I'm all for the clean racing but I'd like to see a bit of aggression now and then to make things happen. Maybe it's the races I was in but a lot of them were quite processional with nobody taking any risks. And then I turned up...:dunce: Every race had a clean bonus (is 150% the highest?) so I must have been doing something right...just slower, eh JOE?:lol:

I'm still using my Digtater account.

Do you all still use the accounts from QM ? I'm on my main account now and planned to send FRs soon :) ...

The AI are much better than GT6. Still braking at the apex but they are pretty feisty now and not afraid to have a go if you're not going fast enough.
I'm on my StirlingMoose account - It's the only one I've got.

One thing I've noticed is how tempered people's passing attempts are. I'm all for the clean racing but I'd like to see a bit of aggression now and then to make things happen. Maybe it's the races I was in but a lot of them were quite processional with nobody taking any risks. And then I turned up...:dunce: Every race had a clean bonus (is 150% the highest?) so I must have been doing something right...just slower, eh JOE?:lol:
:lol: I did predict that nobody would be complaining about dirty drivers and you're already complaining that they are too polite.

It was as I was expecting when I started racing in the lowest rank so I felt right at home, but after jumping up a level or 2, the racing was transformed. A bit of a culture shock from what I'm used to.:lol:

I still want to see some elbows out racing instead of the lunge free racing I've seen today. Too passive.

It was as I was expecting when I started racing in the lowest rank so I felt right at home, but after jumping up a level or 2, the racing was transformed. A bit of a culture shock from what I'm used to.:lol:

I still want to see some elbows out racing instead of the lunge free racing I've seen today. Too passive.

Just drop your SR down and you'll be back with the hooligans again... where you will feel more at home ;)

It's possibly to drive aggressively and clean... Most of the racing I've done today have seen zero line changes, no covering the inside lines and even in one case, someone who gave up and gifted me the pass. That's not racing. That's a track day.

I'm not talking 50/50's here. I'm talking harrying someone into making a small mistake, not taking them out. Have you ever seen me drive dirty?

I'll leave it at that...

@StirlingMoose
All this info is really helpful, so thanks for that 👍.

I don't have anything of big help - only gossip.
As a irl Toyota driver I fell in love with the tiny S-FR N400 beast, made a livery, raced offline and decided to post a picture :

View attachment 689617

Dragon Trail / N400 pro race / no assists / SM / upgrade 1 / fastest lap 2.02

I'm still using bone_tone :)

I think the 'track day' atmosphere is partially related to SR being important. Nobody knows how much banging around will drop your SR and put you in rooms with idiots, so caution rules the day right now in the cleaner rooms.

For me personally, I can't feel what the front tires are up to in GTS with my G29, so lunging for a pass is a total crapshoot. I'm following and pressuring, hoping for the best.

I'm lurking around out there as Supahwally. Nice to see some familiar faces.

Edit :

I usually just do the time trials and if I can manage to run the course cleanly and be within 10 seconds of the top leaderboard time, then I'm usually good to go for that course. Then I register, tighten up my line, increase my qualifying time and then I'm off to the race.

I think the 'track day' atmosphere is partially related to SR being important. ...

I probably wouldn't have to ask if I had done enough races, but does SR affect DR - in a way that you can not improve in DR with a low SR e.g. ?
And do you need a high SR to be successful in the championships because of more points ? ... Or asking the other way : Except getting rid of the idiots is there a need to climb up ?

I probably wouldn't have to ask if I had done enough races, but does SR affect DR - in a way that you can not improve in DR with a low SR e.g. ?
And do you need a high SR to be successful in the championships because of more points ? ... Or asking the other way : Except getting rid of the idiots is there a need to climb up ?
RJ, copy of explanations from the manual:-

・Driver Rating
This is an indicator of the player's "speed". There are six different ratings in total: E, D, C, B, A, and S. E is the lowest rating, and S is the highest. Achieving good results in Sport Mode races will increase your Driver Rating. Your rating will decrease if you fail to achieve a certain level of results. Please note, however, that unless your Sportsmanship Rating meets the required standard, your Driver Rating will not increase, even if your results are very good. All players start with a Driver's Rating of E.

・Sportsmanship Rating
This is an indicator of the standard of a player's manners on the track. There are six different ratings in total: E, D, C, B, A, and S. E is the lowest rating, and S is the highest. You will earn points for completing sections of a race cleanly. However, you will lose points for doing things such as colliding with other cars during races. At the end of each race, the number of points earned and lost will be tallied up, and reflected in your Sportsmanship Rating. All players start with a Driver's Rating of E.

I found these useful in trying to get my head around how they work, helps you work out your driving strategy!

I've managed to keep my SR at S, my driver rating bobs up and down between B and C - do OK in C races, but am usually too slow when the race is full of Bs.....

Last edited:
Please note, however, that unless your Sportsmanship Rating meets the required standard, your Driver Rating will not increase, even if your results are very good.

Wasn't sure here - you confirmed what I think I've read some time ago. Thanks.
Still ...
Do you NEED ! DRA to be successful in this game ?

Edit:
A bit sorry for asking and leaving you with [facepalm]. The reason is I'm wondering to care at all what rating I have ( except idiots of course ).

Last edited:
I think the 'track day' atmosphere is partially related to SR being important. Nobody knows how much banging around will drop your SR and put you in rooms with idiots, so caution rules the day right now in the cleaner rooms.

For me personally, I can't feel what the front tires are up to in GTS with my G29, so lunging for a pass is a total crapshoot. I'm following and pressuring, hoping for the best.

I'm lurking around out there as Supahwally. Nice to see some familiar faces.

While I think the SR is a really good addition that works well, I don't like the way it's removing a lot of the wheel to wheel action with people over protecting it. If you're good enough to improve on your rank and never hit anyone, surely you're good enough to go wheel to wheel if you get the chance?

The trust goes up a lot with each bump in SR so you can race accordingly.

Wasn't sure here - you confirmed what I think I've read some time ago. Thanks.
Still ...
Do you NEED ! DRA to be successful in this game ?
Depends what you mean by 'to be successful'. For me a DR of A wouldn't work, as I'd be matched with people who are too fast for me (see my comments above re struggling with a B rating), but I do have an occasional race win when racing with a C rating.

x Kilesa
The penalty system is exactly the same as GT6, so aggressive driving is always rewarded.
Overcrowding inside curve, support and penalties for those outside ... that is, to Nonno Calvy !:D
That's how I get frustrated almost always.
In this new version of the game, however, there have remained various defects of the previous one, for example the various aids are even recommended by the manual. I personally prefer to drive with weak ABS and, in rare cases, TC to 1.
However, , I see lap times fastest of my 5 seconds and I feel is too much, though I'm certainly not the faster.
I could be wrong and correct my thinking if I saw the times that make the correct ones, like this group.
For example in today's Group 4 race with Lamborghini, I saw 2.082x (:bowdown: ??) not only by one but by various drivers and it seemed a little quick compared to my 2.12xx.
I will give to the horses !

RJ, copy of explanations from the manual:-

・Driver Rating
This is an indicator of the player's "speed". There are six different ratings in total: E, D, C, B, A, and S. E is the lowest rating, and S is the highest. Achieving good results in Sport Mode races will increase your Driver Rating. Your rating will decrease if you fail to achieve a certain level of results. Please note, however, that unless your Sportsmanship Rating meets the required standard, your Driver Rating will not increase, even if your results are very good. All players start with a Driver's Rating of E.

・Sportsmanship Rating
This is an indicator of the standard of a player's manners on the track. There are six different ratings in total: E, D, C, B, A, and S. E is the lowest rating, and S is the highest. You will earn points for completing sections of a race cleanly. However, you will lose points for doing things such as colliding with other cars during races. At the end of each race, the number of points earned and lost will be tallied up, and reflected in your Sportsmanship Rating. All players start with a Driver's Rating of E.

I found these useful in trying to get my head around how they work, helps you work out your driving strategy!

I've managed to keep my SR at S, my driver rating bobs up and down between B and C - do OK in C races, but am usually too slow when the race is full of Bs.....
To simplify : there s 2 things ... first if u take a shortcut or go in the grass .. your SR will not be affect but your DR will be..you end up always with a penality of time when you go out of track..and because its related only to your driving skill ..... so only the DR is affected
Second thing... if you hit someone while overtaking your SP will down ( when u see the damn orange arrow ) but the DR isnt affected because you did stay in the black stuff
The only case when your DR and SR get down it s when u hit someone very aggrisivement ( french ohlala ) and u get a penality and a orange arrow at the same time

Last edited:
Have you ever seen me drive dirty?

No, of course not.

Hopefully the SR is cumulative over time so if you've had an S rank for a few weeks an occasional penalty is not going to knock you down. At the moment I think the fear of losing rank is making people over-cautious. Going wheel to wheel with someone you don't know and trust is a risky business.

Back