QM Exiles

• Thread starter bone_tone
  • 1,794 comments
If you want to make one of 40 minutes on Nurbur 24 h, initial fuel 51 liters, 3x petrol, 6x tires, gr3, RH, I am there. 22:30 hours sunny

I'm stuck with doing career mode for a while as pushing my pace wears me out too quick. Still in a slump from my last chest infection.

Hopefully not for too much longer.

For the Impatient

My Most Nerve-Racking GT Experience

I was about two years into GT. My driving was still very clumsy, however, I felt like a hero who was to complete his first ever video game - my GT4 Excel sheet was all gold with two blank spots left.
I decided to try the 24h of Le Mans first and after watching Dan Holland's hotlaps, I chose the MINOLTA Toyota for my car.

In case you do not remember : You could not stop these races and save your progress in between - all you could do was pause it and keep the PS2 running. Since I could not imagine to run in realtime, the idea was to split it up into six 4h stints, one each day from Sunday to Friday ... which led to an even bigger problem.
Being afraid of my wifey or kids accidentally pulling the plug on some rainy Wednesday, I grabbed my things together Sunday afternoon and went to my office which seemed to be a way safer place. Nuts but safe.
Mounted the PS onto my desk, cable 1, cable 2, Power on ... I picked the MINOLTA ... another cigarette and off I went.

The first stint was perfect, I pulled away from the field which was one lap down in the end, great. Pause !
The drama began on the very next day though.
After about six hours into the race, with my colleagues still at work nearby, chassis wear came into play. I had read about it and there it was ! What once was a stable car turned into a nightmare. Two hours later it felt almost undrivable, I even lost it on Hunaudieres. I was a couple of laps down - and what once seemed a great idea turned to become the most embarrassing flop ever. Pause !

I survived that night and survived work next day, constantly struggling whether to go on or stop that insanity. Must have been the last bit of hope that made me continue the race. I desperately tried to adapt my driving to what the car allowed for ... and at the end of that stint it actually started to pay. Pause !
You guess the end now so I can keep it short : Friday night I actually won that race. 5 on the Richter scale from the rock that dropped off.

I had to apologise to my family and my colleagues for being an obnoxious wreck ... which was easy compared to

My Most Nerve-Racking GT Experience

Never give up !

Now that's dedication!👍👍

I looked at those 24 hour races in GT5 and regularly thought about doing them but they're a big ask for one person to do.

@a estes you find patterns the AI take, and will learn where to cleanly pass. Even if it means something like, at Suzuka, you tail them around Spoon, catch a draft and pass on the beer straight and don't try the inside of the next around R135, or do. And/or out brake them into the chicane. Or not. Then draft again before T1.

One overtake per lap is fine. No need to burn tires or fuel for no reason.

Every track has spots where the AI are vulnerable.

:D:tup:

If any of the exiles or geezer's are interested, I will open a room Tuesday evening at 21.00 CET proposing two GR.3 races on Lago Maggiore GP.
The first 20 minutes, 6.10 sunny sunrise, the second 40 minutes, 5.00 sunny dawn. Real damages, high penalties etc. only tc and abs allowed. 6x tires consumption, 3x petrol.
The second race with 51 liters of petrol at the start.

Long time no see fellas. I hope you guys are all doing well?

I've had a looong sabbatical (5 months?:crazy:) from doing any proper racing and looking to get back into it now that I'm breathing properly again.

Seeing as the stale daily races get repeated more often than the old QM's, any of you doing any lobbies I might like or would you be interested if I started doing my own lobbies again?

Even if the answer is no, let me know. It'll be good to hear from you all again.

I've had a looong sabbatical (5 months?:crazy:) from doing any proper racing and looking to get back into it now that I'm breathing properly again.

Seeing as the stale daily races get repeated more often than the old QM's, any of you doing any lobbies I might like or would you be interested if I started doing my own lobbies again?

Even if the answer is no, let me know. It'll be good to hear from you all again.

Good proposal kilesa ! I miss you all.

I already had little availability to play during 2018 (daily races) and by the end of the year, my health forced me to a complete break. Big surprise in fact. Fortunately, effective treatments exist. They are heavy and painful, but the results are very encouraging and we seem to be heading towards total healing :)
If today my health allows me to play a little again at GTS, it will depend on my ability to recover. But I will come back even stronger :gtpflag: and to be sure of this, I finally bought a steering wheel this weekend. Oh just a G29 (I’m not SuperGT or TheKie) ! :lol:

Anyway, I hope you are all going well. I still wish that GT evolves and offers us to meet again :cheers: during beautiful and disputed races as before !

Best regards !
Sevytron

Alright matey. Glad you're feeling well enough to get back on track. I've not been playing much recently. Busy weekends mean I've not been able to get my geezer fix and weekdays I've just done the occasional bit of off-line, so I'd be up for some weekday evening lobby action. Any night but Wednesday for me.

@ColinChapman The hat is back! Sorry to hear you've been unwell. Hope to see you on track soon.

Long time no see mate. Good to hear from you again.:D

I've got limited stamina too so I fit my lobbies around it. Nice and chilled warm up (so @coryclifford can walk to the fridge at least twice:P) and a quick race on each track we use at the end. If you need a break though, gimme a shout and I'll extend the warm up. We used to have the mics on for a laugh while we're racing but they're not compulsory. Recommended but it's up to you.

Alright matey. Glad you're feeling well enough to get back on track. I've not been playing much recently. Busy weekends mean I've not been able to get my geezer fix and weekdays I've just done the occasional bit of off-line, so I'd be up for some weekday evening lobby action. Any night but Wednesday for me.

The man himself! Great to hear from you too pal.:cheers:

All going well, I'll do a lobby tomorrow night at around 8ish.

Good to see all you fella's are still kicking around the place. I've been in the somewhat secondhand boat as well but slowly getting back to normal... well about as normal as I get :dopey:. If you guys are still racing at a time when I won't wake up my wife I'll try and join in (it's 5.20 am atm here) :).

Good to see all you fella's are still kicking around the place. I've been in the somewhat secondhand boat as well but slowly getting back to normal... well about as normal as I get :dopey:. If you guys are still racing at a time when I won't wake up my wife I'll try and join in (it's 5.20 am atm here) :).

G'day me old cobber!:cheers:

9 hours (up at 3am so my brain's mush) in front so 11PM is your 8AM. Gotta admit that 3 hours is a tall order but if there's enough people in, I'll be able to take a couple of breaks to stretch it out. I'll do my damnedest to stay on longer. Sleep's for wimps anyway.:D

@coryclifford Hey mate.:cheers:

You up for doing some lobbies again mate?

All I've done is custom races or helping my kid a few times with hints/tips and giving him credits by letting him win every race. He'll be joining us so apologies in advance for his potty mouth.:ill:

I can only remember the Geezer's Sunday races. What other days do they race on so that I don't clash with them?

@Mwerte @a estes @ROCKET JOE @Rizla @Nonno Calvy @bone_tone and any others that have slipped my mind. Fancy doing a few races with us?

Four on your list race often with me.

As in your own lobby or with the Geezers? I can guess which four if it's the latter but if I'm remembering right, you said you used to do your own lobbies too? I don't want to jump in two footed and confuse any pre-existing schedules so let me know if that's the case. I'll try and work something out to fit around them.

Wednesday 630 CST, Saturday and Sunday 0830 EST, I think.

Ah, your Wednesday meet that starts at daft o'clock over here. Had half a memory of it but forgot which day. No clashes there then.👍

All I've done is custom races or helping my kid a few times with hints/tips and giving him credits by letting him win every race. He'll be joining us so apologies in advance for his potty mouth.:ill:

I can only remember the Geezer's Sunday races. What other days do they race on so that I don't clash with them?

@Mwerte @a estes @ROCKET JOE @Rizla @Nonno Calvy @bone_tone and any others that have slipped my mind. Fancy doing a few races with us?
Yes i m here .... as you know i dont need an invit to come crashing sideway in your lobby :D:cheers:
8pm today ..copy that

Hi Kilesa, I'm glad to read you again after a few months, I had surrendered last January for little general interest.
I play with Geezer's on Saturdays and Sundays at 2.30pm Italian time and they do another night race (for us Europeans) the Wednesday, I think at 19 ET.
Personally, I am willing to let me paint all the other nights :cheers:

Yes i m here .... as you know i dont need an invit to come crashing sideway in your lobby :D:cheers:

Has your missus finished with Witcher 3 or do you need me to send you another sneaky message that there's a lobby open?:lol:

Hi Kilesa, I'm glad to read you again after a few months, I had surrendered last January for little general interest.

I got close to selling up at one point as I didn't think the infection was ever going to go and let me get back to driving. Two month infection and another couple of months trying get some strength back.:crazy:

I tried picking up the pad to play again but once you switch to a wheel, you never want to go back. It's nowhere near as enjoyable and a compromise I'll never make.

Just remembered, can't do tonight - got to pick my daughter up from work! :banghead:

Noooo!🤬

Feeling OK today so there's a good chance the lobby stays open longer. If you get the chance, try and pop in for a couple of laps but no worries if you can't. I'm back to doing lobbies again though so you'll get another shot.:cheers:

Looking forward to sharing a track with you all again but do me a favour, pick a livery with a good rear view, so I've got something interesting to look at as you pass me.:lol:

I just notice that my account psn did finish today and i cant access the lobby :banghead::banghead:
Sorry mate i cant join you tonight

You had me worried as you never miss the chance of a race. No PS+ sure explains it.:cheers:

I'll try doing more lobbies in a few weeks (ish) time as tonight proved I wasn't quite ready for it. I'm exhausted!:crazy:

A big thanks to those who turned up but I'm sorry I couldn't offer you better competition. It was good chatting with you again though.👍👍

I was in bed straight after my much needed shower(:yuck:) as I felt like death warmed up. Spent the next 4 hours tossing and turning from feeling ill. Got up for a cuppa while I waited for it to calm down and finally went to bed at 7am and still awake at 9am when my son went to work. No idea what time I got to sleep but I eventually got some. Nightmare!

Had plenty of thinking time and came to a very regretful decision. If I want to race again, I can't use the wheel to do it as every time I do, I get ill in triple quick time. No problem against AI or cruising with my kid but as soon as I push, like I have to with you fast buggers, it's a downward spiral to the point I can't push the brake or steer quick enough and that makes me a liability.

My wheel is packed away in the spare room with a dust sheet over it now as it's too tempting to use it when it's in the same room, even when I know using it makes me feel like crap every time. I've got to stop being daft and face facts. The wheel's become too hard for me to race with so I either find some enthusiasm for using the DS4 again or I quit racing for good. Racing with you all is a great incentive for the pad but after over a year of wheel use, it's a tough pill to swallow.:(

I was in bed straight after my much needed shower(:yuck:) as I felt like death warmed up. Spent the next 4 hours tossing and turning from feeling ill. Got up for a cuppa while I waited for it to calm down and finally went to bed at 7am and still awake at 9am when my son went to work. No idea what time I got to sleep but I eventually got some. Nightmare!

Had plenty of thinking time and came to a very regretful decision. If I want to race again, I can't use the wheel to do it as every time I do, I get ill in triple quick time. No problem against AI or cruising with my kid but as soon as I push, like I have to with you fast buggers, it's a downward spiral to the point I can't push the brake or steer quick enough and that makes me a liability.

My wheel is packed away in the spare room with a dust sheet over it now as it's too tempting to use it when it's in the same room, even when I know using it makes me feel like crap every time. I've got to stop being daft and face facts. The wheel's become too hard for me to race with so I either find some enthusiasm for using the DS4 again or I quit racing for good. Racing with you all is a great incentive for the pad but after over a year of wheel use, it's a tough pill to swallow.:(

Damn that sucks big time mate. Here's hoping you can get back into the way of the DS4 without too much longing for the old wheel. 👍

Sorry to hear about that mate, it must be tough :(. Unfortunately I know all about sleepless nights and the physical and mental toll it can take on a person and their family. I truly hope you get through this and can continue having some fun with everyone, be it with your wheel or DS4 :).

I've got a chip and a chair and hopefully I get on the transplant list soon. Not much but I'm a stubborn sod.:D

The wheel's great but every time I push, my body tells me to 🤬 off and shuts down. It's just not worth the slap in the chops from using it any more so it's time to go. Maybe hire a stripper to cheer me up when I sell it.💡

I'm just gonna sulk for a bit first (secretly practising like mad) then come back on track with my waggly assed steering*. You are hereby forewarned and forearmed...again.

*Plenty more excuses where that came from. I'll copy cory's.:D

@kilesa4568 - Don't give up. Maybe going back to a controller is the answer, but a couple of suggestions. First set the max torque right down low. You don't need to be fighting the wheel to get a feel of what the car is doing. FFB in GTS is pretty unhelpful anyway so you won't be missing much. Second pick some slower cars that don't require so much effort to drive. I don't know about the other chaps but I'm happier driving a Miata on comfort tyres round Tsukuba than a GR1 at Le Mans. The driving skills and racecraft are the same and you don't need to knacker yourself doing it. Chin up.

Back